Mini 3 Pro 48mpx picture quality. is this normal ?
7523 65 2022-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mattmatt2235
lvl.2
Flight distance : 271017 ft
  • >>>
France

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-24 18:52
Hello there Mattmatt2235. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since we are having this issue with your new DJI Mini 3 Pro, I would recommended for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We will do our best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.

Yes thank you, I am.
It's very difficult as they know very little and they can't see/download the raw files I've provided.
I wonder what kind of support is this...
The person I've been talking thinks the quality is "fine"...

This is fine...(100% crop)
2022-7-24
Use props
juan55
lvl.3
Flight distance : 577096 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Mattmatt2235 Posted at 7-24 23:59
Yes thank you, I am.
It's very difficult as they know very little and they can't see/download the raw files I've provided.

Just send the JPEG file and screen captures of the corners converted in JPG (less weight than PNG) ... upload files are limited
2022-7-25
Use props
Mattmatt2235
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

juan55 Posted at 7-25 01:40
Just send the JPEG file and screen captures of the corners converted in JPG (less weight than PNG) ... upload files are limited

They asked for DNG... So I did...
2022-7-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes thank you, I am.

What gave you that idea?
The link you provided is fine.
2022-7-25
Use props
Mattmatt2235
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

Labroides Posted at 7-25 04:13
What gave you that idea?
The link you provided is fine.

He told me the raw file wasn’t « original » he couldn’t see, He tought the file was downgraded by the upload… I asked if he had a software to open it he told me yes… He wasn't very clear.
Then he just said he would send my problem ( and files) to the « r&d ». I got a mail later from them I have to send it back so they can check.
2022-7-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mattmatt2235 Posted at 7-25 05:13
He told me the raw file wasn’t « original » he couldn’t see, He tought the file was downgraded by the upload… I asked if he had a software to open it he told me yes… He wasn't very clear.
Then he just said he would send my problem ( and files) to the « r&d ». I got a mail later from them I have to send it back so they can check.

He doesn't know what he's talking about.
2022-7-25
Use props
Mattmatt2235
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

Yeah unfortunately...

I have updated the links with JPEG's... all taken in auto with nothing added.
At full resolution to me there is something wrong... : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkD9_wf2HJmnhecbkavK2fbLAbuFgA?e=1KnN3I

2022-7-25
Use props
CineDude
lvl.2

United Kingdom

What you are seeing is the algo that is used to expand the 12MP image to 48MP. You know the 48MP version is faked and not native resolution?

The way it works is it takes each pixel, and doubles it in width and height. It seems however that it doesn't do any kind of anti-aliasing or weighting of the new pixels with its neighbor, so instead of one pixel that is red and one that is green, you have a larger pixel (2x2) that is all the same color next to another solid 2x2 pixel, and so on.

If I zoom to 50%, this eliminates half the pixels, effectively deleting this effect, and in that instance the photo looks perfectly normal.

For reference, I'm using a 4K display to view the full-size and 50% images.
2022-7-25
Use props
Mattmatt2235
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

I know how quad bayer works. I had the Air 2. Never had that. Something is off I feel like.The 12mpx file has the same "feel" at 100%...
2022-7-25
Use props
CineDude
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Mattmatt2235 Posted at 7-25 05:53
I know how quad bayer works. I had the Air 2. Never had that. Something is off I feel like.The 12mpx file has the same "feel" at 100%...

Well viewing it at 100% it looks OK, but it doesn't stand zooming in. One thing you can never add to an image is detail. It will simply work with what is there and nothing more.

Don't forget that the drones have different sensors and lenses, so a direct comparison isn't possible.

The only way to tell is to set both to native, without this processing, and compare them side-by-side. Other than that, there could be a change or a difference in how the two process the image.
2022-7-25
Use props
SrMi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3425 ft
  • >>>
United States

CineDude Posted at 7-25 05:51
What you are seeing is the algo that is used to expand the 12MP image to 48MP. You know the 48MP version is faked and not native resolution?

The way it works is it takes each pixel, and doubles it in width and height. It seems however that it doesn't do any kind of anti-aliasing or weighting of the new pixels with its neighbor, so instead of one pixel that is red and one that is green, you have a larger pixel (2x2) that is all the same color next to another solid 2x2 pixel, and so on.

That is not how Quad Bayer sensors work.
The sensor has 48MP photodiodes but 12MP color filters. So in a way, it is not fake, but it has less resolution than a 48MP Bayer filter.
2022-7-25
Use props
CineDude
lvl.2

United Kingdom

SrMi Posted at 7-25 06:01
The sensor has 48MP photodiodes but 12MP color filters. So in a way, it is not fake, but it has less resolution than a 48MP Bayer filter.

So how is that working?

Is it interpolating the color and using the 48MP for luminosity?

By the sound of it, it should make a great B&W camera?

2022-7-25
Use props
Mattmatt2235
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

CineDude Posted at 7-25 06:00
Well viewing it at 100% it looks OK, but it doesn't stand zooming in. One thing you can never add to an image is detail. It will simply work with what is there and nothing more.

Don't forget that the drones have different sensors and lenses, so a direct comparison isn't possible.

Actually comparing Air 2 and MP3 make sense, even though the focal may not be the same... The technology is.
2022-7-25
Use props
SrMi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3425 ft
  • >>>
United States

CineDude Posted at 7-25 06:03
So how is that working?

Is it interpolating the color and using the 48MP for luminosity?

In 12 MP mode, it bins 4 pixels into one.
In 48 MP mode, it reinterprets the Quad Bayer pattern into Bayer data. The result can give more detail than 12MP mode, and I observe that when testing with a Siemens star chart.
IMO, the real benefit of Quad Bayer would be the real-time HDR mode (12MP). Unfortunately, DJI has not implemented it.
2022-7-25
Use props
NewbieDronesUK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29101 ft
United Kingdom

If the image posted is original raw and uncropped then something's obviously wrong with the unit - shouldn't look like that.
2022-7-25
Use props
jazzydji
New
United States

The "painting" look if I remember correctly was an "enhanced mode" on by default on Phantom 4k that you could turn off in settings and all that disastrous paint stroke look would go away.

Does the mini 3 pro have the same image enhancement on by default and can we turn it off?      I just flew a mini 3 pro and the video is amazing, along with a couple decent photos.  But some of the photos do have that painted filter look.   First flight so I haven't begun to learn all there is on this one yet.   I did snap photos from the various photo modes and have yet to discern which photo mode exactly was using that nasty painted enhancement.   

2022-8-12
Use props
jazzydji
New
United States

The person I've been talking thinks the quality is "fine"...

This is fine...(100% crop)

It's a great oil painting!
2022-8-12
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 7-24 09:06
Are you often shooting things at 10-15 meters with your drone ?
Not often, but if I wanted to check the lens and image quality, I would.
And I'd make sure the test shot had lots of well lit hard detail instead of just distant leaves.

Remember your dealing with a putting it nicely a fool.
2022-8-12
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

jazzydji Posted at 8-12 08:41
The "painting" look if I remember correctly was an "enhanced mode" on by default on Phantom 4k that you could turn off in settings and all that disastrous paint stroke look would go away.

Does the mini 3 pro have the same image enhancement on by default and can we turn it off?      I just flew a mini 3 pro and the video is amazing, along with a couple decent photos.  But some of the photos do have that painted filter look.   First flight so I haven't begun to learn all there is on this one yet.   I did snap photos from the various photo modes and have yet to discern which photo mode exactly was using that nasty painted enhancement.

I think the HDR is on by default in the standard 1080/30 mode, without being able to turn it "off". It "turns off" I believe in the higher resolutions where HDR isn't supported. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
2022-8-12
Use props
pxm77
lvl.1
Flight distance : 101207 ft
Poland

Hi, I have the same problem on both 12 and 48mpx You managed to get some solution from DJI Support?
In my old drone the image was ok. In mini 3 pro it is exactly as described by the author of the post... :/
2022-9-20
Use props
Mattmatt2235
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

I'm going to send it back and they will check it
2022-9-20
Use props
pxm77
lvl.1
Poland

Mattmatt2235 Posted at 9-20 11:27
I'm going to send it back and they will check it

Anything more on? What does DJI say?
2022-11-4
Use props
sethgeib
lvl.2
Flight distance : 330226 ft
United States

Matt, with the latest firmware update, could you go into the camera settings and turn the sharpness and noise reduction settings down to -2 for both? See if this clears up the "oil painting" issue. For me, images look much less "enhanced" with these corrections "turned off" at -2. It seems to disable some of the post-processing the camera is doing, even for RAW files. Maybe post a before and after of your results.
2022-11-4
Use props
pxm77
lvl.1
Poland

sethgeib Posted at 11-4 03:27
Matt, with the latest firmware update, could you go into the camera settings and turn the sharpness and noise reduction settings down to -2 for both? See if this clears up the "oil painting" issue. For me, images look much less "enhanced" with these corrections "turned off" at -2. It seems to disable some of the post-processing the camera is doing, even for RAW files. Maybe post a before and after of your results.

sethgeib, are sure these settings also work for photos (DNG)?
2022-11-4
Use props
sethgeib
lvl.2
Flight distance : 330226 ft
United States

I was going to run a test for another thread https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=278461 to see if the settings made any difference for stills vs video. I just performed the test and posted in that thread, but I'll copy my results below.

Did a test with RAW files for 12MP and 48MP with settings of 0 Sharpness and 0 Noise Reduction vs. -2 Sharpness and -2 Noise Reduction. I do not see any discernable difference in quality between 0 and -2 on RAW file stills. Was worth a shot. However I will say for stills if you are going to use JPG format, leave the settings 0 Sharpness and 0 Noise Reduction. Setting them to -2 for JPG files starts to make them look blurry.

2022-11-4
Use props
pxm77
lvl.1
Poland

In my opinion, the photo problem with the Mini 3 Pro is serious. Anyone who has had, for example, Air2S or Mavic 1, 2 before ... can see what it is. In the pictures with the Mini 3 Pro, especially in darker parts, on the repeating elements (it can be seen perfectly in shrubs, trees) photographed from a longer distance, there is artefacts.
Even in my old Mavic 1 Pro drone, there was a lot more detail. When I compare the files there is a huge gap. The problem is in both 12 and 48mpx.
2022-11-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules