4110 22 2022-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Taranis Ag
lvl.2
Flight distance : 108426503 ft

United States

Greetings,

What is a good location on top to mount a strobe without interfering with the GPS antenna??

Thanks
2022-7-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have velcro'd mine on the aft part of the body just over the DJI logo and right between the vents.  
2022-7-25
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was thinking about attaching  mine to battery . Not really sure yet.  Waiting to get some input from people like DowntownRDB & others.
2022-7-25
Use props
jdjacks1969
New
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-25 04:57
I have velcro'd mine on the aft part of the body just over the DJI logo and right between the vents.

Does this location keep the top props from coming together when stowing?
2022-7-25
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jdjacks1969 Posted at 7-25 12:31

I assume he takes light off before stowing .....
2022-7-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you look at this shot from the tear down you can see the gps as the large beige square with the circle in the middle.  This is what you need to avoid,

2022-7-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

jdjacks1969 Posted at 7-25 12:31

No, there is minimal clearance, but it is bare minimum clearance.  Just not sure where else I could have put it.  Has no legs like Mini 2 or Mini 1 so opted for only other place it would fit without interfering with GPS.  
2022-7-26
Use props
SgtMercy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1100558 ft
United States

I put mine towards the front, clear of the gps.

prop guard2.jpg
2022-7-26
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-25 04:57
I have velcro'd mine on the aft part of the body just over the DJI logo and right between the vents.

Does light when operating interfere with rear-facing sensors ?
2022-7-26
Use props
SgtMercy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1100558 ft
United States

Goggles Pisano Posted at 7-26 08:08

The sensors don't work at night. There is not enough light for them.
2022-7-26
Use props
Mavic 3 Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

SgtMercy Posted at 7-26 10:12

I almost responded with the same answer and then I thought that maybe he meant because of the physical LED casing being in the 'line of sight' of the sensor.

I think if the physical location was a problem, then the sensor would constantly be 'beeping' and complaining that you were too close to something  
2022-7-26
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mavic 3 Raptor Posted at 7-26 10:55
I almost responded with the same answer and then I thought that maybe he meant because of the physical LED casing being in the 'line of sight' of the sensor.

I think if the physical location was a problem, then the sensor would constantly be 'beeping' and complaining that you were too close to something

I guess you could always turn off sensors if it was too light out or the strobe in the way.
2022-7-26
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SgtMercy Posted at 7-26 10:12

What about "dusk-ish' is what I think I meant.
2022-7-26
Use props
gregh2000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 250217 ft
United States

I stuck my firehouse to the battery and then one of the vifly ones on the top of it.  Used the hard 3M lock velcro stuff.  I can see the firehouse from a long ways off or in the day and the other points up for dusk flight.  I haven't really flown in the dark dark with it.
2022-7-26
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

gregh2000 Posted at 7-26 19:25
[view_image]

I stuck my firehouse to the battery and then one of the vifly ones on the top of it.  Used the hard 3M lock velcro stuff.  I can see the firehouse from a long ways off or in the day and the other points up for dusk flight.  I haven't really flown in the dark dark with it.

what exactly do you think that vifly strobe is going to do that the firehouse cannot?  i see you are in the u.s.  please, please don't tell me you've fallen for the nonsense that says "a strobe needs to point up to warn manned aircraft."  that's just overkill my friend.

for dusk flight, fire off the firehouse only and everybody who needs to see it will see it regardless if they are overhead, underneath, etc.

it's just a toy drone.  
eta:  is that the new vifly strobe, doesn't look like mine.  have they changed?
2022-7-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Goggles Pisano Posted at 7-26 08:08

Great question - so far it hasn't interfered with the rear-facing sensors.  
2022-7-27
Use props
gregh2000
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 7-26 20:17
what exactly do you think that vifly strobe is going to do that the firehouse cannot?  i see you are in the u.s.  please, please don't tell me you've fallen for the nonsense that says "a strobe needs to point up to warn manned aircraft."  that's just overkill my friend.

for dusk flight, fire off the firehouse only and everybody who needs to see it will see it regardless if they are overhead, underneath, etc.

LOL I have the vifly strobe I just got it off amazon it is a tri color one it has usb c charging and it seems legit.  I have it on there and the firehouse on the back pointed backwards.  In the daytime I like the firehouse on the back because I can see the drone in the sky when I look up from the screen I can see the flash and it also helps me see if I am pointed away even though the compass on the screen shows that too.

The vifly ones seem decent they are in some sort of rubber heat shrink tube and they are pretty bright I put it on there and pointed it up just to hopefully spread more light out in a different direction but also without blocking any sensors.  I pointed it up just because it says to I dunno it makes a pretty cool flashy flashy with both of them on.  The firehouse I have is 4 color and the vifly is 3 color so I suppose I could make it a mobile disco or something.
I have been thinking about repositioning them just not sure where to stick them just in case it is impacting the center of gravity of the drone.  I don't know if having things hang off the back even though it isn't much throws it off that much...

2022-7-27
Use props
gregh2000
lvl.2
United States

I really wish there were software controlled strobes on the thing that you could blink by remote in the arms and control remotely.  I am guessing that would put it over the weight limit but it would be nice to have just a little LED on each arm built in that is a strobe that could be remotely controlled.  I know the bigger ones have the aux option but this one doesn't that would be nice if it did have that as an option or even just as part of the extended battery pack since that puts you over the limit.  

Then when you put in the bigger battery you would have the strobes or something like that and the chip for the strobes and all the strobes could be housed in the battery itself.  Makes me wonder if anyone has ever opened up the battery to modify it or if there is room in there?  I don't want to be modifying things though I value my warranty, maybe DJI could build strobe enabled batteries and could line up the strobes with the holes that are open to the bottom and the back?
2022-7-27
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

gregh2000 Posted at 7-27 08:12
I really wish there were software controlled strobes on the thing that you could blink by remote in the arms and control remotely.  I am guessing that would put it over the weight limit but it would be nice to have just a little LED on each arm built in that is a strobe that could be remotely controlled.  I know the bigger ones have the aux option but this one doesn't that would be nice if it did have that as an option or even just as part of the extended battery pack since that puts you over the limit.  

Then when you put in the bigger battery you would have the strobes or something like that and the chip for the strobes and all the strobes could be housed in the battery itself.  Makes me wonder if anyone has ever opened up the battery to modify it or if there is room in there?  I don't want to be modifying things though I value my warranty, maybe DJI could build strobe enabled batteries and could line up the strobes with the holes that are open to the bottom and the back?

disagree.  dji, please don't put costly, unnecessary, sw-controlled strobes as oem equipment on your drones that will be prone to break and need repair/maintenance.
2022-7-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Taranis Ag. Good day and for reaching out. Since this is a 3rd party accessory ( Strobe Light ) for the DJI Mini 3 Pro. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilots who uses the Strobe light on there DJI Mini 3 Pro.  Just a reminder that since this is a 3rd party accessory ( Strobe light ) for your DJI Mini 3 Pro. These 3rd party accessories might affect the said DJI drone when in use and we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2022-7-27
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

SgtMercy Posted at 7-26 07:07
I put mine towards the front, clear of the gps.

What about the weight and balance of the aircraft during flight? Have you noticed any difference?
2022-7-29
Use props
gregh2000
lvl.2
United States

fly.overflying Posted at 7-29 20:23
What about the weight and balance of the aircraft during flight? Have you noticed any difference?

I haven't noticed any difference with a strobe hanging off the back.  I have been thinking about changing it up for balance and moving it to the top but I haven't noticed it at all.  I was thinking I could try to find the center of gravity and then then attach the light in different spots and see how far it shifts the center of gravity around.  
2022-7-30
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

gregh2000 Posted at 7-30 09:17
I haven't noticed any difference with a strobe hanging off the back.  I have been thinking about changing it up for balance and moving it to the top but I haven't noticed it at all.  I was thinking I could try to find the center of gravity and then then attach the light in different spots and see how far it shifts the center of gravity around.

I definitely need to find a solution as far installing a strobe specially when flying at night. Thank you for your clarification.

2022-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules