Resilient flying submersible…
803 33 2022-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_iEeELgUakEDv
lvl.1
Flight distance : 245663 ft
United States

So, stupid pilot moment. I was attempting to use the circle action shot without clearance around me in a rock gorge near a stream. Thought I could use it and than hit stop before hitting the wall. I misjudged as is my luck.

The drone tried to stop but momentum took it into the wall and it fell to the water below. I rushed over and yanked it out of the foot of water, quickly yanking the battery out. I noted the power was off before I reached it and pray this was a safety feature after hitting the wall.

I rushed home, holding the drone precariously out the window on my hour long drive, using the air to help push out the water from the internals. Once home I set this guy in front of a fan on full blast to let everything dry for 2 days.

I lucked out with my brain dead moment and found my drone started up and flew successfully today. Camera features and sensors work.

I’m renaming my mini 3 pro the Flying Dutchman. May it NEVER meet water ever again.

Kudos to DJI for a rugged product for idiots such as myself.
2022-7-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Better to be born lucky than rich ;+) good luck..
2022-7-25
Use props
djiuser_iEeELgUakEDv
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 7-25 09:21
Better to be born lucky than rich ;+) good luck..

You have no idea, I'm a walking accident with unprecedented amounts of luck to carry me through life.  A positive outlook gets me through life XD  If this had been the end of drone...I'd sadly be unable to replace so I'm glad I'm still in the game!
2022-7-25
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

yeah sounds like you lucked out.  please check back in 2 months to make sure there are no longer term effects.
2022-7-25
Use props
djiuser_iEeELgUakEDv
lvl.1
United States

The Saint Posted at 7-25 09:53
yeah sounds like you lucked out.  please check back in 2 months to make sure there are no longer term effects.

I'll do so!  Cross my fingers, it'll be fine.  It supplements my photography like none other <3
2022-7-25
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

nice photos!
2022-7-25
Use props
djiuser_iEeELgUakEDv
lvl.1
United States

The Saint Posted at 7-25 10:28
nice photos!

Thank you. I’m more photographer than videographer. So, really taking my work to new heights.
B2C0BEE9-6C89-44D9-B472-48B4260002E8.jpeg
354FFC84-88E1-41E2-A247-4A564AEE378B.jpeg
7ED483C8-7467-494B-AC8D-587F21F2E388.jpeg
2022-7-25
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice pics ,…….
2022-7-25
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 233064 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_iEeELgUakEDv Posted at 7-25 10:00
I'll do so!  Cross my fingers, it'll be fine.  It supplements my photography like none other

Nice i want to get aqua and via ducts shots
2022-7-25
Use props
DocSavage
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48107 ft
United Kingdom

Very nise photography, I too am only interested in photography
what settings were you shooting  filters/pro/auto/ if you dont mind me asking
2022-7-25
Use props
djiuser_iEeELgUakEDv
lvl.1
United States

DocSavage Posted at 7-25 11:09
Very nise photography, I too am only interested in photography
what settings were you shooting  filters/pro/auto/ if you dont mind me asking

I shoot with the add on pack that included 3 ND filters (neutral density) and only used the lowest setting for super bright days where i need to slow down the action.  For these images, it's not necessary but for moving water or traffic it's great as I can extend my shutter speed to seconds or longer to make moving traffic disappear.

I was shooting in AUTO mode with only a slight tweak to negative EV (around -0.7- -1.3) without a filter for the farmland images on that bright day.  The large X image with farms, that was shot at ISO 100, 1.7 aperture, 1/80sec  with lowest ND filter I could find.  I think honestly I could have done without it.  I just wanted a little more contrast and detail so went slower with 1/80.

I do shoot in manual and i'm learning to work within the confines of that for waterfalls to slow my shutter speed down to my desired 1/6-1/10 shutter speed.  That DOES require an ND filter to shoot with as I can't lower my ISO any further.  

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.  I'm an open book on all my photos and love to talk about it.

The image below was shot at ISO 1100, f/1.7, 1/8s with no filters and I shoot in full RAW format to pull as much data as possible in Light Room.
2022-7-25
Use props
Fyxsius
lvl.1
United States

chillibadger Posted at 7-25 11:08
Nice i want to get aqua and via ducts shots

I find I have trouble with this bridge due to it's sheer size and lack of ground access due to trees and too fast current in river.  This drone was a god send.

ISO 140, f/1.7, 1/500s

ISO 100, F/1.7, 1/500s
2022-7-25
Use props
DocSavage
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48107 ft
United Kingdom

You definitely have an eye for it m8, nice work.
2022-7-25
Use props
Fyxsius
lvl.1
United States

DocSavage Posted at 7-25 11:37
You definitely have an eye for it m8, nixe work.

I have the eye, now let's see that I can avoid any more excursions underwater without my scuba suit on.
2022-7-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_iEeELgUakEDv Posted at 7-25 10:00
I'll do so!  Cross my fingers, it'll be fine.  It supplements my photography like none other

Great images. I hope you have no problems with the drone further down the line, resulting from its unplanned swim.
2022-7-25
Use props
Fyxsius
lvl.1
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 7-25 13:31
Great images. I hope you have no problems with the drone further down the line, resulting from its unplanned swim.

Thank you good sir.  The Flying Dutchman's nautical days are behind it and it shall become a pirate of the skies!
2022-7-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fyxsius Posted at 7-25 13:45
Thank you good sir.  The Flying Dutchman's nautical days are behind it and it shall become a pirate of the skies![view_image]

2022-7-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to know about the incident that happened to your unit. We're glad that there is no huge damage to the unit after the incident and that the unit is still working properly. If you experience some issues after the test, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-7-25
Use props
Fyxsius
lvl.1
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-25 21:21
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to know about the incident that happened to your unit. We're glad that there is no huge damage to the unit after the incident and that the unit is still working properly. If you experience some issues after the test, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.

I appreciate the support. Definitely my fault. It’s a great Drone and flies like a dream . Took it out to fly for 30 minutes and did a fantastic job. I can’t tell that there is any issue at all.
2022-7-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great Shots    
2022-7-25
Use props
Innerspace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287352 ft
United States

I’m renaming my mini 3 pro the Flying Dutchman. May it NEVER meet water ever again.

I like it!  Great photos also.
2022-7-26
Use props
Fyxsius
lvl.1
United States

Thank you!
2022-7-26
Use props
Fyxsius
lvl.1
United States

Innerspace Posted at 7-26 04:04

I like it!  Great photos also.

Thank you, all it needs now is a new paint job to give it that ghostly pirate ship look :p
2022-7-26
Use props
Innerspace
lvl.4
United States

Fyxsius Posted at 7-26 04:48
Thank you, all it needs now is a new paint job to give it that ghostly pirate ship look :p

Might be able to find a pirate ship skin for it.
2022-7-26
Use props
Fyxsius
lvl.1
United States

Innerspace Posted at 7-26 04:50
Might be able to find a pirate ship skin for it.

I wouldn't be surprised!  I'm hesitant to put anything on it though due to it's heat buildup.  I don't want to interfere with dissipating the heat this gal generates.  I've already pushed her to her limits, no chance I'm going to continue pushing that envelope.  In my head though, I'll just imagine she's a fully decked out 3 sail schooner drifting through the sky
2022-7-26
Use props
Innerspace
lvl.4
United States

Fyxsius Posted at 7-26 04:57
I wouldn't be surprised!  I'm hesitant to put anything on it though due to it's heat buildup.  I don't want to interfere with dissipating the heat this gal generates.  I've already pushed her to her limits, no chance I'm going to continue pushing that envelope.  In my head though, I'll just imagine she's a fully decked out 3 sail schooner drifting through the sky

I completely understand.
2022-7-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad you got the drone back and it appears to have no issues.  Keep an eye on the battery down the line though.  
2022-7-26
Use props
Andre vd Weide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1503937 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Great shots
2022-7-26
Use props
Fyxsius
lvl.1
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-26 05:45
Glad you got the drone back and it appears to have no issues.  Keep an eye on the battery down the line though.

Will do, though if I had been smart I'd have marked which one of the 3 it was :x  Didn't think it would be a problem afterwards.  So, might be a little bit of fun to realize which one it is down the road.  But with any luck, all will be good.  Good clean stream water, so no salt to aid in the corrosion nor conduct electricity to short out the electronics.  Everything was removed within 5-10 seconds from the water since I had to leap over uneven ground to get to it which slowed me down.
2022-7-26
Use props
Fyxsius
lvl.1
United States

Thank ya sir!  I do a lot of ground photography and it translates pretty nicely to the air <3
2022-7-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its my pleasure.     
2022-7-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fyxsius Posted at 7-26 10:48
Will do, though if I had been smart I'd have marked which one of the 3 it was :x  Didn't think it would be a problem afterwards.  So, might be a little bit of fun to realize which one it is down the road.  But with any luck, all will be good.  Good clean stream water, so no salt to aid in the corrosion nor conduct electricity to short out the electronics.  Everything was removed within 5-10 seconds from the water since I had to leap over uneven ground to get to it which slowed me down.

Yeah, not marking it will only be a guessing game.  I'm sure since it was non-salty water and your quick recovery will preclude any further issues.  I usually mark all my batteries so that I can rotate them evenly and not get excessive wear on just one battery.

While scuba diving I have recovered 3 drones so far.  2 in salt water and 1 in fresh water.  The one in fresh water was for a friend of my grandson's and other than the battery getting fried he has had no issues.  The 2 in the salt water had obviously been there a while as corrosion had already set in.  

2022-7-27
Use props
gregh2000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 250217 ft
United States

Fyxsius Posted at 7-26 10:48
Will do, though if I had been smart I'd have marked which one of the 3 it was :x  Didn't think it would be a problem afterwards.  So, might be a little bit of fun to realize which one it is down the road.  But with any luck, all will be good.  Good clean stream water, so no salt to aid in the corrosion nor conduct electricity to short out the electronics.  Everything was removed within 5-10 seconds from the water since I had to leap over uneven ground to get to it which slowed me down.

One thing you can try is using that Airdata site to view the data from your flight even the free version it shows the battery serial number.  You could then see which battery you were using during that flight.
2022-7-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Fyxsius Posted at 7-25 21:31
I appreciate the support. Definitely my fault. It’s a great Drone and flies like a dream . Took it out to fly for 30 minutes and did a fantastic job. I can’t tell that there is any issue at all.

Perfect! Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries. Have a nice day ahead.
2022-7-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules