Is the battery plus worth dealing with the weight increase?
15668 22 2022-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mkdp.photos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 717218 ft
Canada

And the restrictions that come with it?

I just got my basic certificate here in Canada today which basically allows me to fly 250g-25kg drones, I mainly got it to get the plus battery, but now that I think about it, in a lot of places I wouldn't be able to fly with the plus batteries so are they even worth it?

I would also then be alot more regulated

I dont know though, how common is it for anyone in authority to come check your drone for weight, etc?

2022-7-25
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don’t think anyone in authority ever comes to check if you are sensible but I also feel that the standard battery also gives plenty of flight time
2022-7-25
Use props
Volsi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116089 ft
Japan

If you can choose the extend battery do it really.
If you want to shoot some hyperlapse or normal mvies you need the extra time battery.  The price is not so different and the experience is very different

You can buy the FMK+
2022-7-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Im loving the plus battery its great.   But bare in mind you won't be checked until there is an incident,   its when things go wrong they will look into it.  
2022-7-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have both a standard battery and 2 extended batteries.  I can say it is absolutely worth having the extended batteries.  The extended flight time comes in really handy and can give you much more time on station for filming.  I'm averaging 11-12 minutes more flying time with the extended battery.  

Both batteries produce 7.38V.  The standard battery has a capacity of 2453 mAh whereas the extended battery has a capacity of 3850 mAh.  This extra capacity is what gives you that much needed extra flight time.

If you only plan to fly nearby and do minimal filming then stick with the standard battery.  However, if you are planning on doing hyperlapses or using sports mode to get to a farther away shooting site then you really need to consider the extended battery.
2022-7-26
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-26 05:02
I have both a standard battery and 2 extended batteries.  I can say it is absolutely worth having the extended batteries.  The extended flight time comes in really handy and can give you much more time on station for filming.  I'm averaging 11-12 minutes more flying time with the extended battery.  

Both batteries produce 7.38V.  The standard battery has a capacity of 2453 mAh whereas the extended battery has a capacity of 3850 mAh.  This extra capacity is what gives you that much needed extra flight time.
I love that long flight time with the Mavic 3.

But with the Mini 3 Pro I really don't need that, and flying <250g in this category gives me advantages I would never otherwise have...
All the "great" things I can still do using the Mavic 3, and it usually gets a whole lot better there...
2022-7-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

frankymusik Posted at 7-26 06:43
I love that long flight time with the Mavic 3.

But with the Mini 3 Pro I really don't need that, and flying

Hands down Franky, the Mini 3 can't come close to what the Mavic 3 can do.  I originally planned on buying the Mavic 3 but it was such a mess for the first 6 months that I gave up on it.  However, I'm really glad that it is now a fully functional drone.

I do enjoy flying the Air 2S and the Mini 3 Pro, but neither get pulled out when I need sport's tracking.  That's where I pull out the Skydio 2+.  In my opinion there is not a better drone for sport's tracking.  Rumors have it that the Skydio 3 will be even much better.  
2022-7-26
Use props
fateofangel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

has anyone testeted yet what is real fly time with Battery Plus?
2022-7-26
Use props
fateofangel
lvl.4
Poland

Bodkins Best Photography Posted at 7-26 10:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ngvDlrO6Q

so if hover test ponts to 40 min i think normal flight be 30min instead of 20
2022-7-26
Use props
mkdp.photos
lvl.2
Canada

hmm now Im wondering if its even worth it

there are so many more rules and regulations to follow for drone above 250g its stupid
2022-7-26
Use props
MTShipp_
lvl.3

United States

I have the standard battery that came with the Mini 3 along with 4 additional extended capacity batteries. I can go out and fly all day for the amount of time I want and not have to charge. And when home and flying, lets me allow for a full cool down of the ‘used’ batteries before they get charged again. I am of the opinion that a hot battery should cool first. I also get no less than 10 extra minutes of air time each.
2022-7-26
Use props
mkdp.photos
lvl.2
Canada

MTShipp_ Posted at 7-26 10:40
I have the standard battery that came with the Mini 3 along with 4 additional extended capacity batteries. I can go out and fly all day for the amount of time I want and not have to charge. And when home and flying, lets me allow for a full cool down of the ‘used’ batteries before they get charged again. I am of the opinion that a hot battery should cool first. I also get no less than 10 extra minutes of air time each.

not sure about regulations in the US but in Canada a drone weighing more than 250g cant fly at night without strobes, cant fly near people like a 249g can, cant get anywhere near airports and cant fly anywhere near downtown basically

I think the plus sized battery is probably not worth it here
2022-7-26
Use props
fans684baa3e
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145509 ft
United States

fateofangel Posted at 7-26 10:17

Not so!!
Hovering will always give you less flight time than going forward.
Just like RC helicopter excluding crazy 3D of course!
2022-7-26
Use props
fateofangel
lvl.4
Poland

fans684baa3e Posted at 7-26 11:11
Not so!!
Hovering will always give you less flight time than going forward.
Just like RC helicopter excluding crazy 3D of course!

are you sure? i did not checked that
besides, i would not hover  on sunny day 40 min with the mini which have no cooler ..
2022-7-26
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

MTShipp_ Posted at 7-26 10:40

wow that's a lot of flying.  hope you only have one drone because it would be insane to try to fly 3 different drones like that.  i have a bunch of batteries and it takes me weeks go thru all of them on a half-dozen drones.  agreed, batteries should cool down before you place them on the charger.  for me, cool down means overnight.  in the u.s. the extended battery makes the most sense.
2022-7-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fateofangel Posted at 7-26 10:17

It all depends how you fly and and the wind,  but to give you an example - I flew battery plus the other day in a light breeze,  flew a total distance of 16.3km in 30 minutes and landed with 25% battery remaining.
2022-7-26
Use props
fans684baa3e
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145509 ft
United States

fateofangel Posted at 7-26 11:29
are you sure? i did not checked that
besides, i would not hover  on sunny day 40 min with the mini which have no cooler ..

I am sure and tried that when I first got the Mini 3 weeks ago.
Plus this is the fact for RC helicopter too.

You can try that easily by starting with a full charge pack, hover for 5 minutes or so then check the pack capacity (data).
Next do the same but fly around for 5 minutes and check.
2022-7-27
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Use the regular battery when you need to be under 250 and the + battery when out in the country where you can.
2022-7-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there mkdp.photos. Good day and thank you for reaching out. For additional reference the DJI Mini 3 Pro Intelligent Flight Battery Plus ( https://store.dji.com/product/dj ... flight-battery-plus ) has a 47-min. Maximum Flight Time ( Measured at a constant speed of 21.6 kph in windless conditions. With the DJI Intelligent Flight Battery Plus, the DJI Drone will weigh more than 249 g. Kindly please check and strictly abide by local laws and regulations before flying. Thank you.
2022-7-27
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

mkdp.photos Posted at 7-26 10:45
not sure about regulations in the US but in Canada a drone weighing more than 250g cant fly at night without strobes, cant fly near people like a 249g can, cant get anywhere near airports and cant fly anywhere near downtown basically

I think the plus sized battery is probably not worth it here

It is not really about whether it is "worth it".
More like what you want to do vs what you are allowed to do.

Check the NAV Drone App, if Small Drone class is "green" (allowed to fly), then use extended battery.
If only Micro drone class is allowed to fly, or you want to exceed the Small drone class restriction, then use the standard battery.   As simple as that.

So I use both.   Depending on the particular locations, and how I want to fly, I pick the appropriate battery type.
2022-7-27
Use props
mkdp.photos
lvl.2
Canada

nosnoop Posted at 7-27 19:48
It is not really about whether it is "worth it".
More like what you want to do vs what you are allowed to do.

Yeah, it just sucks that you basically cant fly in more than half of the GTA with a drone above 250g
2022-7-27
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

mkdp.photos Posted at 7-27 20:10
Yeah, it just sucks that you basically cant fly in more than half of the GTA with a drone above 250g

On the contrary, you should be grateful that we have so much freedom with micro-drone class with so little restrictions; and DJI came out with such a feature packed drone at <250g.   And you have the flexibility of extended battery in locations which allow it.

Many other countries have much stricter drone laws, like Japan requiring registrations + RID for all drones >100g, Hong Kong banning drone flying after sunset etc.
2022-7-27
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

I found the battery plus extremely worth for the extra flighting time along with better stability during windy days because of better weight and  control.
2022-7-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules