Shutter Lag for Still Photos
3597 20 2022-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wagonfreak
lvl.1
Australia

G'day,

I'm new to drone photography and have just purchases a M3P.  My main area of interest is in railroad/railway photography which normally includes a train moving at speed of anywhere from say 20-60MPH.  I have been used DSLR cameras for the past 20 years.  

On a few test flights yesterday, I was shooting in 48MP and found that the front of the train was being chopped off in my photos due to shuttler lag of 1-2 seconds.  

The image that momentarily freezes on the DJI RC shows me the correct image for when I press the photo button, but the actual image taken by the drone is seconds later.  IN all cases, the drone would be less than 100m from me.  

As I use my images for publication in magazines and reports, video capture isn't acceptable.

Any thoughts on how to remove this shutter lag?

Thanks

Chris
2022-7-26
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Hi Chris

There is some magic going on with 48MP mode where the drone is having to process what hits the sensor in some way to provide that higher resolution. Unfortunately that all takes time but I am convinced the added resolution is worth it.

I think it's kind of like a faster processor would make it faster but just don't have that luxury. I wonder if it's like the Pano mode where DJI Insist to process and remove access to other functions while it stitches the pano or whether it literally needs multiple dumps of data from the sensor so couldn't process it later even if we wanted it to?

Welcome to the hobby you are going to have a blast with the Mini 3 Pro  
2022-7-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If that's true it's a very undesirable downside to the Mini 3.
I haven't used a Mini 3 to know if it's an inherent problem with that model, but Phantoms and the Mavic 3 are good for shooting stills of fast moving subjects.

2022-7-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please send us some samples showing the issue so we can forward them to our designated team for attention? We will keep you posted with some updates once we receive the samples. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2022-7-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-26 20:17
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please send us some samples showing the issue so we can forward them to our designated team for attention? We will keep you posted with some updates once we receive the samples. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Samples won't show anything he hasn't already explained.
2022-7-26
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Germany

I have yet to use the 48mp side of it, I have not noticed any unwanted lag in any other area though.
If there is a button lag (pre-shot) for the 48mp, you're right Labroides, that would be most undesirable and certainly not acceptable for many types of moving shots, sticking with the 12mp is the only option there.

Actually, prior to sitting the reply button i decided to test mine and i get no longer than 1 second pre-shoot pause in 48mp and perhaps 0.250 to 0.500ms in normal 12mp, it is noticeable for me, but its certainly not 2 seconds, i didn't even have time to say a 1 count really.

You can see this in the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2kRYD_TuRs
2022-7-26
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DreamWorks Posted at 7-26 22:13
I have yet to use the 48mp side of it, I have not noticed any unwanted lag in any other area though.
If there is a button lag (pre-shot) for the 48mp, you're right Labroides, that would be most undesirable and certainly not acceptable for many types of moving shots, sticking with the 12mp is the only option there.

I think the delay after you take the photo while the drone processes and prevents you taking a 2nd shot is about 2 secs in 48mp mode (on my drone at least) 12mp is pretty much instantaneous.
2022-7-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

are you using a fast enough card ?
2022-7-27
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Bussty Posted at 7-27 00:42
I think the delay after you take the photo while the drone processes and prevents you taking a 2nd shot is about 2 secs in 48mp mode (on my drone at least) 12mp is pretty much instantaneous.

Yes, thats right, but the OP's issue is pre-shoot
2022-7-27
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 7-26 20:42
Samples won't show anything he hasn't already explained.

Was about to say the same.

General comment: wish we had devs or technical support that can respond to the issues reported on this forum, rather than the middlemen or general mods. Just a suggestion.
2022-7-27
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DreamWorks Posted at 7-27 07:05
Yes, thats right, but the OP's issue is pre-shoot

Actually whenever I use 48MP I have just assumed the shutter is released at the start of the delay and not the end, I don't really take moving images (yet). Might have to test as important to know. Have all others on here taken moving shots and can confirm the 48MP Mode takes it at the start?  (Would seem weird if it didn't?)
2022-7-27
Use props
Wagonfreak
lvl.1
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 7-27 04:02
are you using a fast enough card ?

G'day Hallmark007

I am using a SanDisk Extreme 128GB with 90MB/s write.   Purchased through DJI.

Cheers

Chris
2022-7-27
Use props
Wagonfreak
lvl.1
Australia

DreamWorks Posted at 7-26 22:13
If there is a button lag (pre-shot) for the 48mp, you're right Labroides, that would be most undesirable and certainly not acceptable for many types of moving shots, sticking with the 12mp is the only option there.

G'day Dreamworks

I snuck out for a short test flight yesterday and tried a few different settings.  The 12MP burst had very quick capture results for moving cars and trucks.  I suspect that I will shoot on 12MP burst for moving trains in the future.

I'll try and do a bit more with the 48MP and capture the delay on the RC which can be compared to the final image.

Cheers

Chris
2022-7-27
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Wagonfreak Posted at 7-27 15:35
G'day Dreamworks

I snuck out for a short test flight yesterday and tried a few different settings.  The 12MP burst had very quick capture results for moving cars and trucks.  I suspect that I will shoot on 12MP burst for moving trains in the future.

Thank you for the update, it must be something to do with the Quad Bayer perhaps?
2022-7-28
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

Tested the 48MP mode today. To my surprise the actual image is captured at the end of the wait not the start! I set the drone up to take photos of my phone with a timer with seconds on it. As the seconds approached 00 I released the shutter. In 12MP mode resulting image always said 00 in 48M mode images showed either 01 or 02 seconds. So there is a delay. That surprised me a little it's not about delay in writing to card but something the camera has to do to prepare for taking the image???
2022-7-28
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Germany

Bussty Posted at 7-28 21:26
Tested the 48MP mode today. To my surprise the actual image is captured at the end of the wait not the start! I set the drone up to take photos of my phone with a timer with seconds on it. As the seconds approached 00 I released the shutter. In 12MP mode resulting image always said 00 in 48M mode images showed either 01 or 02 seconds. So there is a delay. That surprised me a little it's not about delay in writing to card but something the camera has to do to prepare for taking the image???

This I also noticed, which is why I suspect it might be down to it being a Quad Bayer perhaps?
2022-7-28
Use props
djiuser_FMapDUFyImnx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 629675 ft
Czechia

I can confirm the lag as the OP stated. It is weird and makes the 48MP mode unsuitable for action photography.
2022-7-29
Use props
yannick_c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242946 ft
France

Is there the same lag on the Air2 (it also has a 48mpx mode)?

It's weird that the mini 3 pro can write 7 burst at 12 MP without any lag or freeze (or just a minor one) and can't take a 48MP shot without a 2sec freeze/lag.

Is even DJI aware of that?
2022-7-29
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Germany

yannick_c Posted at 7-29 11:55
Is there the same lag on the Air2 (it also has a 48mpx mode)?

It's weird that the mini 3 pro can write 7 burst at 12 MP without any lag or freeze (or just a minor one) and can't take a 48MP shot without a 2sec freeze/lag.

They will be as soon as they open my email.
2022-7-29
Use props
bjosch69
lvl.1
Greece

DreamWorks Posted at 7-29 19:04
They will be as soon as they open my email.

Hi, did u get a reply from DJI?
2022-8-30
Use props
bjosch69
lvl.1
Greece

Same issue here, have you found a solution apart from using burst mode?
2022-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules