Thermal Paste
2654 10 2022-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mat8861
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169400 ft
Israel

As we all know in DJI Mini 3 PRO and DJI RC there is no fan, both use dissipator. Watching videos it looks like there is thermal paste (or thermal adhesive ?) do you think that needs to be replaced as it dries up ? On my pc i use to put new fresh paste at least twice a year as it is almost always on. What are your thoughts/suggestion ? Also wonder if something like this, falls in the DJI care refresh terms.

2022-7-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

the mini 3 pro does not require any sort of consumer maintenance with regard to heat dissipation especially this soon after launch, it's only been 3 months on the market.
2022-7-29
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Germany

Paste only needs to be applied when replacing a CPU or every time you remove the heatsink/cooler so that it creates a thin barrier, it does solidify, that's how it works, there's no need to reapply as a maintenance measure, that's just wasting your time. If you're doing it because you have a dusty environment and remove the heatsink/cooler as maintenance then yes, it certainly needs applying then.

As The Saint has said, its not been out long enough as as I have mentioned, you would never need to do this unless you had a reason to remove the heatsink.
2022-7-29
Use props
Mat8861
lvl.4
Israel

Yeah for sure not that fast, I agree with The Saint.
Just wondering if after x months of usage (firmware updates  and flight) if there is a case.
It's like running with a car and change oil at 30.000 kilometers or you change oil after a year, to keep engine/parts in a good state.
At the same time also elettronics is affected by temperature, that most of time is the cause of trouble.Ps
Paste get dry after time, at least on my pc !!
2022-7-30
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Mat8861 Posted at 7-30 04:23
Yeah for sure not that fast, I agree with The Saint.
Just wondering if after x months of usage (firmware updates  and flight) if there is a case.
It's like running with a car and change oil at 30.000 kilometers or you change oil after a year, to keep engine/parts in a good state.

The idea of thermal paste is to fill any air gaps so that the CPU and heatsink have a solid fix, the paste is a good heat conductor. Over time it does turn crumbly and some do say its good to reapply, but it stays the same, it keeps that barrier sealed, its only when you remove it does come apart, this is only really needed if the CPU starts to become hotter than it used to, it could also mean that the fan or heatsink needs cleaning, a paint brush and a hoover pipe is normally adequate for that thus no need to remove the heatsink. If after that the CPU is still hotter than normal then you can try to see if new paste will help, more than likely though a new fan will be in order. I myself have never changed the thermal paste for any reason other than to fit a new CPU, my PC used to run 24/7 for peer to peer networking. Same with a laptop, these run for years and years with the need to have the paste renewed.

Another member on here has flown his Mini 3 Pro many, many km and his Mini 2 many, many more than that, i think its over 1000km, might be wrong though. So no, there is no need to touch the paste on these drones and most certainly not whilst in warranty
2022-7-30
Use props
gregh2000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 250217 ft
United States

I have never changed thermal paste in the 20+ years I have worked on PC's and servers and never had an issue with overheating.  Only time to change it is like others said if you break that seal.  Now there could be an instance where there could be some sort of defect with the paste itself or something but I would highly doubt it or we would be hearing about all of our drones dropping from the sky.  Just keep in mind like others have said people come here to complain more often then to praise products.  

One thing that I could see is to just blow out the air channels from time to time to make sure nothing is building up in there so the airflow is getting across the heat sink.  

My plan is to not open the thing while under warranty that is what warranty is for, fly it as it is intended and if it is hot keep an eye on what I am doing and where I am going.  I am loving this drone and I am sold DJI for life!!  
2022-7-30
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

i think you use your PC much  frequent than your drone, thats the answer
2022-7-30
Use props
Mat8861
lvl.4
Israel

Well the question come because i think the mini 3 is overheating, a friend with mavic after flight is "fresh" while mine is really pretty hot. Anyway just have to see if with time will cause problems.
2022-7-30
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Netherlands

Mat8861 Posted at 7-30 15:08
Well the question come because i think the mini 3 is overheating, a friend with mavic after flight is "fresh" while mine is really pretty hot. Anyway just have to see if with time will cause problems.

It is hot because it does not have a cooling fan inside like other DJI drones, it requires airflow to cool it.

You're in a hot climate I presume?
The Mini 3 Pro requires the props to be spinning to rely on air cooling from the rear props and it also requires forward movement to aid the air scoop behind the gimbal. Whilst the latter isn't a must during normal conditions, hovering in whilst in situ in warmer climes it would certainly get hotter than normal and would benefit from forward movement.
2022-7-30
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

Mat8861 Posted at 7-30 15:08

m3p does not have real cooling system due to its weight reduction It can only cool down by air flow while moving
2022-7-30
Use props
Mat8861
lvl.4
Israel

fateofangel Posted at 7-30 23:08
m3p does not have real cooling system due to its weight reduction  It can only cool down by air flow while moving

That is bad......last month temperature here was like over 30c all month, i have set RTH height to 25 meter so by the time drone come down it's very hot. In the few flights i made at least it didn't shut down, like it happened with firmware update.
2022-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules