Mavic Mini Prop Screws won't go in all the way
2682 18 2022-8-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
S97
lvl.1

United States

First time poster, first time drone owner ... I recieved an original mavic mini as a gift. drone had minimal hours I flew it last night and recieved the propeller rotating too fast warning. The propellers look perfect, all I can think of is that maybe it was stored too long in the fly more case and there is a warping that I can't see. My assumption is that it's better to be safe than sorry and change out all the props with new ones as I have several sets of replacement props.
So, here's where I come to my question. I can't for the life of me get the new screws to seat to the same depth as the ones currently on the drone and there is vertical play on the prop. very concerned about using too much force. Something isn't right. I verified & re verified that I'm using the correctly marked prop on the correct arm. The old props have same model numbers as the new props as well. I've also used the existing screw to remove any thread locker from the holes.
Anyone run into this issue before?
Any suggestions?
Many Thanks in advance.

2022-8-1
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you tried using the old screws with the new props?  Or are they too chewed up to re-use?
2022-8-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You NEED to be careful here.

Please confirm do the new props have grey stripes and are they genuine DJI props?
Be sure to hold the hub of the blade against the top of the motor, this helps keep the screw "square".

Start the attempt to fit the new screw by VERY LIGHTLY pressing it down into the screw hole and then UNSCREW it, yes UNSCREW it. PAY attention to what you feel through the screwdriver and you should feel the screw 'drop' into the original female thread in the motor. If you do not then either the screw is not in the screw hole or the threads are damaged.
The threads are machine screw threads so the above should find a good thread.

If you do feel it drop into the thread the try screwing the screw in, if it gets tight too quickly for your comfort don't force it but rather unscrew it and see if it finds another drop point, there shouldn't be another one but...

I use the above approach with self tapping screws being refitted into old female threads, it avoids cutting a new thread, but I get the impression that many self tappers are two start threads thus there are two drop points, roughly 180deg apart. This SHOULD NOT be the case with the prop screws.

Unfortunately judging what it too stiff to be correct is a matter of experience and judgement.
2022-8-1
Use props
S97
lvl.1

United States

Blériot53 Posted at 8-1 10:49
Have you tried using the old screws with the new props?  Or are they too chewed up to re-use?

I have not attempted to re-use screws.

The reason is the documented procedure is to replace  the screws when you replace the propellers.

I put the old props back on and ensured solid tightening. Detailed prop inspection under magnification- blades look un damaged with no perceived warping, no nicks, smudges, or bends. The screws are also in perfect condition with little sign of being unscrewed.  My guess is that they have never been off the drone.

I flew for 22 minutes this afternoon and was unable to replicate issue.

Could other things cause prop speed errors?  

Flight that error occurred was at dusk, near a river. flying insects were around. could a prop strike by small flying insect cause?  in addition there was a swallow (Small bird) that kept dive bombing the drone. I saw no bird-drone connection but if there was an impact, could that have caused it?
2022-8-1
Use props
S97
lvl.1

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-1 11:52
You NEED to be careful here.

Please confirm do the new props have grey stripes and are they genuine DJI props?

Genuine DJI props in sealed, bar coded DJI wrapping bag with same model number as old props. DJI E1 4726F

I have a second full replacement set on order from DJI, I'm going to wait for those props to arrive and try again.

2022-8-1
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

S97 Posted at 8-1 12:18
I have not attempted to re-use screws.

The reason is the documented procedure is to replace screws with propellers.

If you impacted a bird I'd expect the drone to crash, and then there'd be a lot more than props to worry about. Insects do get sliced occasionally, but I've never had to replace a prop for that reason in 5 years.
The blades of the props on the Mini are quite flimsy, and fairly flexible. Long storage under stress, if misaligned in the Flymore case for example, can distort them and give the error reading. Again, not something I have experienced.
If the new props are genuine DJI replacements, and identical to the old ones in every respect, I'd suspect the wrong screws have been supplied with them.
2022-8-1
Use props
S97
lvl.1

United States

Blériot53 Posted at 8-1 13:07
If you impacted a bird I'd expect the drone to crash, and then there'd be a lot more than props to worry about. Insects do get sliced occasionally, but I've never had to replace a prop for that reason in 5 years.
The blades of the props on the Mini are quite flimsy, and fairly flexible. Long storage under stress, if misaligned in the Flymore case for example, can distort them and give the error reading. Again, not something I have experienced.
If the new props are genuine DJI replacements, and identical to the old ones in every respect, I'd suspect the wrong screws have been supplied with them.

In further inspection there is some number details on the props that are different.

the drone has the same number on all 8 propellers "DJI" E1 4726F
my other propellers have slightly different numbers (all sealed in barcoded bags)
I have two props each that that say "DJI" E2, E4, G3, & H4 followed by 4726F.  

Is it as simple that I got a wrong match of props, or is the letter signifying a batch of propellers?
2022-8-1
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

S97 Posted at 8-1 13:16
In further inspection there is some number details on the props that are different.

the drone has the same number on all 8 propellers "DJI" E1 4726F

Hmmn. I have two packs of spare props (Direct from DJI) and the Unopened packs don't bear any such numbers.  My version is the Mini One.  I note that you don't mention a model number in your Post.
So that we're on the same page, can you state whether your Mini is a 1,  a 2, or even a 3 ?
It's possible you may have the wrong replacements.
But the Flymore kit for the Mini One came with several pairs of spares which one would think must be bound to match the originals for the drone.
2022-8-1
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Are the new props for a Mini or Mini 2? Different screws and props for each, not interchangeable.
2022-8-1
Use props
S97
lvl.1

United States

Blériot53 Posted at 8-1 13:38
Hmmn. I have two packs of spare props (Direct from DJI) and the Unopened packs don't bear any such numbers.  My version is the Mini One.  I note that you don't mention a model number in your Post.
So that we're on the same page, can you state whether your Mini is a 1,  a 2, or even a 3 ?
It's possible you may have the wrong replacements.

My drone is a Mini 1.

The propellers are identical except for the letter on the prop. In this case "D2".  mine have  E1 (what's on the drone) E2, E4, G3, & H4 followed by 4726 F

2022-8-1
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

S97 Posted at 8-1 14:02
My drone is a Mini 1.

The propellers are identical except for the letter on the prop. In this case "D".

Ah, OK.  I can't see the letters on the blades through the sealed packaging on the ones I have here. And I've just bought the Mini3 Pro and parted with my Mini One.
If your props are physically identical ( letters notwithstanding) is does rather sound as though the wrong screws were packaged with them.
You seem to be able to fly the drone satisfactorily with the original props and screws, from your comments.
Maybe you could source the correct screws somewhere?
2022-8-1
Use props
S97
lvl.1

United States

Blériot53 Posted at 8-1 14:10
Ah, OK.  I can't see the letters on the blades through the sealed packaging on the ones I have here. And I've just bought the Mini3 Pro and parted with my Mini One.
If your props are physically identical ( letters notwithstanding) is does rather sound as though the wrong screws were packaged with them.
You seem to be able to fly the drone satisfactorily with the original props and screws, from your comments.

Thank you!

Just wanted to be sure. I'm going to wait and see what the new ones do and hopefully the screws fit better.

2022-8-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Minor differences in the numbers, e.g. E2 vs E4 vs G3 vs H4, or F or C? or G etc. probably refer to the moulds in which the individual blades were cast, differences in these numbers between pairs are likely not important but WITHIN  a pair they should be the same since there may be slight differences in mass distribution and consequently blade balance between the various moulds.
2022-8-1
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

S97 Posted at 8-1 14:14
Thank you!

Just wanted to be sure. I'm going to wait and see what the new ones do and hopefully the screws fit better.

2022-8-1
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

Those numbers and letters are mold identifier so you know if two are molded in the same mold they are be used togather. You may have had a bad replacement screw. I had a screw that was bent straight from the sealed bag. Saw it going in weird after like two revolutions. Just be careful as too many turns with a bent screw can damage the tread on the motor. Check if yours was bent or has bad thread on it. They give you more than you need in a bag so it is ok to just bin the bad one and grab a good new screw. It is very unlikely blades get warped in the combo case. If you measure the clearance you will find out folded props do not even touch the case. The drone is supported with case padding on the top shell and bottom shell only. I had a lunatic calling me names because he made a massive post here about his combo box warps prop consipiracy and I called him out on it with 2 simple measurements of clearance inside the case.

Most of the prop too fast issues here are resolved by changing out props because some deformations are not discernable with eyes. You put your old pairs back because they have screws that sit ok but I think you should still put new ones on but just make sure you have good screws. When you install just back screw a bit til you hear click then tighten it to hand tight, it is natual for prop to pivot up and down a bit around the screw. Give them a tightness check again after a couple flights to make sure they are not loosening up.
2022-8-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What version of the App are you using and what 'phone' are you using? There is reason in my 'madness' and in my question.
2022-8-1
Use props
S97
lvl.1

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-1 23:54
What version of the App are you using and what 'phone' are you using? There is reason in my 'madness' and in my question.

Hello- I'm running DJI FLY APP version 1.6.9 running on Galaxy S10+

I have flown three full battery flights on C, & P, with a little S mode in there on the original props and have not been able to repeat error.
2022-8-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ok, this is a bit of a long winded process but might yield some useful information.

1) Replay the flights in the ''profile'' or ''me'' section at the front of the app  until you find the troublesome flight.

2) Once you have found the  troublesome flight, connect the phone to a computer and, assuming you are using Windows, navigate to the folder

Computer/phone's-name/Phone/Android/data/dji.go.v5/files/FlightRecord

3) In there identify the troublesome flight, copy its log to your computer and upload that log to
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ .

4) If you look below the resulting map you will see a data table and close to the beginning of that table, but on the right hand side, you will see an entry that contains something like ''Data Recorder File Index is x'', where  ''x'' may be any number from 000 to 099.

5) Go back to the phone and, via the computer, and go to the folder

Computer/phone's-name/Phone/Android/data/dji.go.v5/files/FlightRecord/MCDatFlightRecords . It should be 'home' to logs ending in ''.DAT''.

If there are no DAT's in there we can go now further for the moment but I  would then suspect you have sync'ing-of-logs-to-DJI enabled, if so  switch that sync'ing off. Goto 8)

6) If there are DAT's in that folder identify the relevant log, by date & time stamps and the above ''x'', and copy the log to your computer.
7) Either up load the log to something like drop box, make it public and then share the URL here

or

down load and instal CsvView from

https://datfile.net/CsvView/downloads.html

use CsvView to open the saved DAT and click on ''Motor Speeds''.

One prop may show consistantly higher motor speeds than the other motors. I am assuming the DAT's recorded from the Mavic Mini  by Fly 1.6.9 are readable. The latest version of the Fly app that I run is 1.5.4. and they, Mavic Mini DATs, are readable from that version.

8) Ideally what you want to do is fly an indoor (windless) hover for a minute or so WITHOUT touching the controls and then look at the motor speeds in the DAT.

2022-8-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there S97. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. In addition I will post a DJI Tutorial video on DJI Mavic Mini | How To Replace The Propellers for additional reference. Thank you.

2022-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules