ATTI Mode
1595 11 2015-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bill
lvl.3

United States

Is there any reading for how to fly in ATTI mode.  From my few days on the forum I have realized that it is important to learn to fly in ATTI but I haven't come up with a good way to learn.  Any advice?
2015-8-5
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

You put the mode switch into attitude mode and fly..  The only difference is gps is used for return to home only not flight.  So if you want a position held you need to move the sticks however you need to to accomplish that.  If you let go of the sticks it will drift away with the wind.. Other than that there is no difference between atti mode and gps mode on the p3..  In every mode it holds altitude..  Now on my flamewheels with naza atti mode gives me 10 degrees more tilt so it goes twice as fast but that isn't the case.  Also in gps mode the p3 holds its course compensating for wind, in atti mode it doesn't so you can manually compensate for wind by flying somewhat sideways to use the right stick to move forward but also move it to the left or right to maintain its course and fight the wind...  I use atti mode to let the copters drift with the wind for 20 seconds and see what it's speed is and that gives me a real good idea of how hard the wind is blowing....  If you take meters per second and double it you will be real close to mph btw...

The reason you want to understand atti mode is because if gps and the compass fail you will be able to get your copter to you and land..  Again in atti mode you have to manually hold the p3's position even while landing..  You don't want it moving when your about to touch the ground cuz it will tip over
2015-8-5
Use props
bill
lvl.3

United States

Got it. All the sudden it makes a lot of sense. Will practice.....
2015-8-5
Use props
lvl.4

United States

Try the simulator in the app.   Atti Mode is just like flying a quad copter like a blade nano QX.  No GPS, so it responds to the wind and won't maintain position if you release the sticks.  Altitude stays the same but drift is subject to the wind.    Take it up about 40 feet and try it.   Just flip it into GPS mode if you feel like you have lost it.   I wouldn't try it on a windy day near trees if you are not proficient.

why do you need it?   Because it eliminates GPS mode.  If there's an error and the phantom starts to do erratic things, you can take it out of GPS mode and land it.   

This is my personal opinion.  Everyone should know how to fly Mode 2 or atti mode by instinct.   I have saved my phantom one time because of a flyaway because I could control the phantom by visual line of sight without having to think.   Helicopter flying trained me but you can get skills on a sim.
2015-8-5
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

It's not that hard. Just start off slow.  Come up about 15 off the ground, and then work on hovering, as it will want to drift. Then work on moving left to right, and back and forth. I would advise starting out on a calm day, as wind really complicates maneuvering. After a while you'll get the hang of not having all those satellites doing the heavy lifting for you.

Also, I agree that it is imperative that everyone learns to fly these things without autopilot.
2015-8-5
Use props
skine75
lvl.2

United States

If you really want a true to life experience with flying in ATTI mode but not put your high dollar Phantom at risk, I highly recommend getting the Syma X8.  Its the exact size as the Phantom and only costs around $100.00.  I learned on Syma X5 and X8 copters before I bought my Phantom.  

When you have a crazy situation happen with your Phantom, knowing how to handle it in ATTI mode makes all the difference between a save and a crash.  ATTI mode is also where the fun in flying is...give it a try on the Syma X8!
2015-8-5
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just take it slow and initially keep the craft close to you.  Practice different orientations until you get comfortable in all of them, tail in, nose in, left and right.  
2015-8-5
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

Get a little blade nano and play with it inside.  When you get good at that you can fly attitude mode with ease.  
2015-8-5
Use props
bill
lvl.3

United States

Thanks for the advice everyone. I expect to get a lot of flying in this weekend and some of it will definitely be in ATTI!
2015-8-5
Use props
timswimm
DJI team

Hong Kong

you will have to brake manually ,and correct your position all the time . if something goes wrong you always can switch it back to GPS
2015-8-5
Use props
jerry.tpvlp
New

United States

Mark97564 Posted at 2015-8-5 11:53
You put the mode switch into attitude mode and fly..  The only difference is gps is used for return  ...

If in follow me mode will switching it to atti take me out of that mode?
2015-10-2
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

jerry.tpvlp Posted at 2015-10-3 00:19
If in follow me mode will switching it to atti take me out of that mode?

Yes, switching out of F-mode will terminate IOC.
2015-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules