iOS SDK "Going To Enter A Maintenance Period" ???
2332 8 2022-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

Can someone explain what this means?  Are they referring to stopping iOS v15 development because iOS v16 is on the horizon?

DJI MSDK iOS Version is going to enter a maintenance period
Dear iOS developers:

Because of the product policy adjustment, the DJI MSDK iOS Version will enter a maintenace period.  Our team will be mainly responsible for bug fixes and the adaption to new iOS systems, rather than the new function development.

MSDK Android version will still be updated and released periodically in the future.  While supporting the new products of DJI, we will develop new functions that users require and effectively resolve users feedback problems.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.  We look forward to your continued attention and support of future DJI products!

11th July 2022

2022-8-4
Use props
fateofangel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

it is curoius
2022-8-4
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I would assume so. IOS 16 is on the horizon and will be released around November.
2022-8-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Going forward the new v5 SDK will only be for Android only,   what they are saying here is that only bugs will be fixed in the IOS version and no new features or drones will be added, but any changes needed to support future IOS versions will be done.
2022-8-4
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-4 23:23
Going forward the new v5 SDK will only be for Android only,   what they are saying here is that only bugs will be fixed in the IOS version and no new features or drones will be added, but any changes needed to support future IOS versions will be done.

So they are abandoning the iOS SDK for future products?  I'm not sure the current SDK includes the recent Mini 3.

The only alternative iOS app I am aware of is Maven, which I find to be very good with features DJI does not provide through the official Fly app.  It would be a shame if this means iOS developers would not be provided access to the SDK to create other alternative apps for future DJI products...

And I am sure the phrasing "product policy adjustment" is related to some poor translation, but that doesn't seem to have any real meaning...

I wonder if this is also related to whatever issues DJI has with Google that prevent them from distributing their apps through the official Google Play store, and now Apple has similar concerns...

2022-8-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TomKatt Posted at 8-5 04:07
So they are abandoning the iOS SDK for future products?  I'm not sure the current SDK includes the recent Mini 3.

The only alternative iOS app I am aware of is Maven, which I find to be very good with features DJI does not provide through the official Fly app.  It would be a shame if this means iOS developers would not be provided access to the SDK to create other alternative apps for future DJI products...

Yep,     The current v4 will not get any more drones adderd for IOS and the V5 is Android only and will focus on enterprise products first.  Unless it all changes again.
2022-8-6
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-6 00:42
Yep,     The current v4 will not get any more drones adderd for IOS and the V5 is Android only and will focus on enterprise products first.  Unless it all changes again.

I have to assume that DJI will continue to offer their apps for iOS, even though they may not provide the SDK for it…. Maybe DJI doesn’t like 3rd party apps being available for their consumer products?
2022-8-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TomKatt Posted at 8-7 05:12
I have to assume that DJI will continue to offer their apps for iOS, even though they may not provide the SDK for it…. Maybe DJI doesn’t like 3rd party apps being available for their consumer products?

I would assume that IOS apps from DJI are not going anywhere.  Until all drones come with the DJI RC and then maybe it will change.  
2022-8-8
Use props
DronePilot_01
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

This was in my email today. It is unclear if this means that DJI drones will no longer support iOS at all or just third party apps. Either way "go use Android" is not going to sit well with iOS users:

Dear Developer

Thank you very much for your long-term support and trust in DJI.

In order to continue providing you with a better development experience and technical support services, DJI will now stop updating certain SDKs. After the update is stopped, the corresponding SDKs will no longer release new versions and will no longer accept new MFi applications. Technical support services will not be affected. At the same time, we recommend that you use the alternative solutions we recommend for development.

SDK Type        Stop Update Date        Alternative Solution
iOS SDK        November 29, 2023        We recommend developing mobile applications based on the Android SDK
Windows SDK        November 29, 2023        No alternative solution available. You can choose to develop using the mobile SDK or cloud API based on your application scenario
Onboard SDK        November 29, 2023        We recommend developing onboard applications based on the Payload SDK. The functionality of the Onboard SDK has been integrated into the Payload SDK
DJI will continue to provide you with higher quality products and better services. Thank you again for your concern and support. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our developer technical support. The email address is dev@dji.com

This notice is hereby given.

DJI

November 29, 2023
2023-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules