Transmission and range issues related to hidden geo-fencing?
1492 16 2022-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
zzjollygreenzz
lvl.1

United States

Really interesting transmission mode results guys!  I tried 10-15 different spots today, see the map image, booting the RC Controller up and then the drone and then checking to see which transmission mode the controller allows me to fly in.

Mode A is what I would call normal, unlimited mode, you can select Dual band, 2.4hz, 5.8Ghz or Auto/manual and if you choose manual, you can select the exact channel you want in either 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz mode.  This mode will probably let you fly long range, 500m-4000m

Mode B is what I would call severely limited, low power / low range mode, you're probably only going to get to 500m range.  You can't select anything, it just shows you the 2.4ghz spectrum.

It came up in Mode A at my house, a couple parks nearby, the boat ramp and another park on the beach.  It came up in mode B all along the beach and all along another beach park.  I tested each location multiple times, so these aren't flukes, it consistently comes up in each mode the same, depending on the geo-location.

This is probably why the range issues people have are so inconsistent.  Some people are in an area where it comes up in mode A and some people are in an area where it comes up in mode B.  Then you have interference around, in which ever mode location you are in.

Map

Map
channel_mode_B.jpg channel_mode_A.jpg

2022-8-5
Use props
djiuser_VjWyE2nrKJGV
lvl.2
United States

Great info and I think you hit it on the head. If true, which I think it is, it’s super lame that DJI isn’t documenting and communicating these programmed constraints and expected impact. I bet it’s also somewhat buggy and inconsistent.
2022-8-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A = FCC and B = CE modes thats why youre going further in A, you're right about low power for sure, as to the reason, beats me. It might be something to do with allowing enough time for GPS loc before doing X, someone else with more info on this issue should be able to help here, but you need to bring it up with support@dji.com I don't think it has anything to do with the geo fence though, because you managed A actually closest to the geo fenced point...
2022-8-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there zzjollygreenzz. Good day and thank you for sharing these interesting information with us here at DJI Forum. Again, thank you for your support and keep flying.
2022-8-5
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

I have experienced this issue, the only difference is that I am locked on the CE mode all times. I my situation the aircraft has already been replaced by DJI and now I am waiting for a RCN-1 controller to arrive for testing sent by DJI, Let see what is gonna happen when I connect the aircraft with this controller if I will still get CE mode only or if I will get the FCC outright, that should determine if this is RC related which I am inclined to believe at this point.
2022-8-5
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-5 20:48
Hello there zzjollygreenzz. Good day and thank you for sharing these interesting information with us here at DJI Forum. Again, thank you for your support and keep flying.

Are you not going to show this to the designated department
2022-8-5
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This sort of thing is another good reason not to update your drone if it is OK. DJI will sneak stuff in and not tell you
2022-8-5
Use props
zzjollygreenzz
lvl.1

United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 8-5 21:40
This sort of thing is another good reason not to update your drone if it is OK. DJI will sneak stuff in and not tell you

A guy on Facebook is saying that the beach/sand might generate a magnetic field causing RF interference.  I'm not sure this is the issue, because one place I tested was about 40meters from the beach in a grassy field and it came up in mode B, another place was on an elevated grassy hill away from the beach and it came up in mode B.

I'll try and think of some more tests to do, I'll also try the N1 controller tomorrow as well, my friend has a mini 2 controller we can test with the mini 3 pro
2022-8-5
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 8-5 21:40

Is there a way to step back a firmware version?
2022-8-5
Use props
fans5d3e3440
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4964 ft
United States

fly.overflying Posted at 8-5 22:18
Is there a way to step back a firmware version?

Yes, use DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drone series).
2022-8-5
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

zzjollygreenzz Posted at 8-5 22:17
A guy on Facebook is saying that the beach/sand might generate a magnetic field causing RF interference.  I'm not sure this is the issue, because one place I tested was about 40meters from the beach in a grassy field and it came up in mode B, another place was on an elevated grassy hill away from the beach and it came up in mode B.

I'll try and think of some more tests to do, I'll also try the N1 controller tomorrow as well, my friend has a mini 2 controller we can test with the mini 3 pro

I wish the proximity from the beach could be the cause but in my case I am far away from the ocean. I should receive a RCN 1 from DJI support tomorrow as well to test and try to isolate the issue to the controller. Below is my video I posted yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKcBkLge9Vc
2022-8-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

fly.overflying Posted at 8-5 22:54
I wish the proximity from the beach could be the cause but in my case I am far away from the ocean. I should receive a RCN 1 from DJI support tomorrow as well to test and try to isolate the issue to the controller. Below is my video I posted yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKcBkLge9Vc

Your video definitely indicates you were locked in CE mode.  Will be interesting to see if you can get FCC mode on the inbound RC N1 controller.
2022-8-6
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

zzjollygreenzz Posted at 8-5 22:17
A guy on Facebook is saying that the beach/sand might generate a magnetic field causing RF interference.  I'm not sure this is the issue, because one place I tested was about 40meters from the beach in a grassy field and it came up in mode B, another place was on an elevated grassy hill away from the beach and it came up in mode B.

Hmmmm,a guy on Facebook said this. Never heard of beach sand causing a magnetic field.
Myself along with who knows how many others almost always fly over a beach with sand to get to the water.Never ever had any signal issues at all.
2022-8-6
Use props
zzjollygreenzz
lvl.1

United States

Here you go, got a screen grab!  I took the drone to an area where it comes up in mode B, restricted mode.  I powered on the RC Controller and held it directly on top of the mini 3 pro.  I then powered up the mini 3 pro.  This makes it take a longer time to get GPS lock.  The drone boots up and with no home point and 0 satellites found, it is in normal transmission mode A, you can select dual-band, 5.8ghz, 2.4ghz or manual and select whatever channel you want.  After it gets gps lock and a home point, it switches into restricted transmission mode B with no ability to pick any of the above options like I was able to do when it was in normal mode A.

IMG_6895_scaled.jpg
2022-8-6
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

zzjollygreenzz Posted at 8-6 12:06
Here you go, got a screen grab!  I took the drone to an area where it comes up in mode B, restricted mode.  I powered on the RC Controller and held it directly on top of the mini 3 pro.  I then powered up the mini 3 pro.  This makes it take a longer time to get GPS lock.  The drone boots up and with no home point and 0 satellites found, it is in normal transmission mode A, you can select dual-band, 5.8ghz, 2.4ghz or manual and select whatever channel you want.  After it gets gps lock and a home point, it switches into restricted transmission mode B with no ability to pick any of the above options like I was able to do when it was in normal mode A.

https://youtu.be/dmSO45VD0PY?t=33

Thank you for the video, another evidence for DJI to put their act together and test their products properly before launching.
Yeah, I know they do not care about anything else oher than $$$$ (sales)
2022-8-6
Use props
zzjollygreenzz
lvl.1

United States

Just tested with the RC232/RCN1, the RC231 is the same as RCN1

When the mini 3 pro powers up on the N1, it is in normal transmission mode where you can select dual band, 5.8ghz, 2.4ghz, etc... I immediately tested my RC controller, it comes up in the restricted transmission mode, dual-band, 5.8ghz and 2.4ghz are not options, it just shows the 2.4 ghz spectrum and no ability to select any transmission options.

I did flight tests as well.  Flying the N1, not a single bar was lost out to 1500m, flying in the 1m to 20m altitude range.  The whole time the transmission tab looked normal and it had selected 5.8ghz to use for the band

Flying with the RC controller, bars started dropping at 500m, down to 1-2 bars in the 700-900m range.  I didn't fly past 1000m.  Today it flew a little further than a few days ago.  The transmission tab always stayed in the restricted mode, only showing 2.4ghz spectrum with no options available.

Something is definitely different between the RC and N1
2022-8-7
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

zzjollygreenzz Posted at 8-7 10:40
Just tested with the RC232/RCN1, the RC231 is the same as RCN1

When the mini 3 pro powers up on the N1, it is in normal transmission mode where you can select dual band, 5.8ghz, 2.4ghz, etc... I immediately tested my RC controller, it comes up in the restricted transmission mode, dual-band, 5.8ghz and 2.4ghz are not options, it just shows the 2.4 ghz spectrum and no ability to select any transmission options.

There is a variance that prevents the RC to connect on the proper country frequency, also there is another variance forcing the RC to connect to another country frequency instead of connecting to the correct one.

Now it is a matter of long time for DJI to figure how to fix this up.
2022-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules