Obstacle detected. The Sun?
1045 8 2022-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Harryscopic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1422920 ft
Spain

I have read on Mavic threads about false obstacle detections when the sensors are facing the Sun, and I think that might be the reason I wasn't able to run a waypoint hyperlapse with the Mini 3 Pro.

It was early after sunrise, and I started the saved waypoint hyperlapse but the drone stopped because it detected an obstacle. It was up in the air with nothing near it!
I tried moving it and starting again but I couldn't get it to run the hyperlapse. Here's the log clip from Airdata:

Log

Log

If it's not the Sun in the sensors, what could be the problem?

2022-8-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

On my Mavic 2 Pro bright sunlight triggered the OA all the time,  to the point where Id just turn it off,  in flying the Mini 3 1500km+ its not false triggered by the sun at all,   the few times it has happened it was caused by a bird flying in front of me.   Swallows here love to play it seems.
2022-8-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Harryscopic. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. It is possible that when your DJI Mini 3 Pro is facing directly to the strong light, it would trigger obstacle avoidance mistakenly. So you might need to avoid flying straight to the sunlight, or you can switch off the obstacle avoidance system, but need to be more careful when flying your DJI Mini 3 Pro to avoid any unwanted incident. Thank you.

2022-8-6
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

I live in mountains and I have my obstacle avoidance going off all the time for bats. (usually at dusk) They are very hard to see. Raising the altitude helps a lot. Don't know about flying in morning cause I work nights and I am sleeping and not flying . Sun doesn't seem to affect Mini 3 but it does affect my Mavic Pro... Obstacle avoidance wise..
2022-8-6
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

My original Mavic Pro does it but only when the sun is low in the sky, certainly made me panic a bit the first time it did it.
2022-8-6
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

UKMoose Posted at 8-6 06:35
My original Mavic Pro does it but only when the sun is low in the sky, certainly made me panic a bit the first time it did it.

My Mavic Pro does too, at sunset it won't move sometimes even when not directly facing sun. I drop in altitude so sun is behind mountain and the beeping stops. Scared the hell out of me first few times it happened till I figured it out.
2022-8-6
Use props
Harryscopic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1422920 ft
Spain

There were no birds, I was looking at it. The sensors were clean too. The waypoints weren't facing the Sun, but the drone was flying to the first point when it happened.

These sensors have wide viewing angles:

sensors

sensors

So next time I'll turn off the detection.
2022-8-6
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Harryscopic Posted at 8-6 08:50
There were no birds, I was looking at it. The sensors were clean too. The waypoints weren't facing the Sun, but the drone was flying to the first point when it happened.

These sensors have wide viewing angles:

Even though the waypoints weren't facing the Sun, the sun probably activated one of backward facing sensors or something.  Just an idea...
2022-8-6
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

Goggles Pisano Posted at 8-6 08:35
My Mavic Pro does too, at sunset it won't move sometimes even when not directly facing sun. I drop in altitude so sun is behind mountain and the beeping stops. Scared the hell out of me first few times it happened till I figured it out.

When you know what it is it's weight off, I turn 180 and come back butt first, somthing to be said for no rear sensors,
2022-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules