DJI RC Replaced - Range issue not fixed!!!!
12Next >
4880 55 2022-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

Here we go with another update. Today I finlly received a RC replacement from DJI, I was expecting to receive a RCN-1 but instead they sent me the same mordel that I current have whoch is the new DJI RC. Its valid to mention that it did not come updated with the new firmware so I was able to check the transmission tab and could see both 5 and 2.5 frequencies options, also I was ble to select which frequency I want to use.

Iwent ahead and did the update and these options dissapeared and now I am locked on the CE mode. The bottom line is that the issue relies on the RC for sure since I am already on the second aircraft and second remote, still I want to test this aircraft using the RCN-1 with my cellphone.

Here is the new screen record on the replacement RC unit.

2022-8-6
Use props
zzjollygreenzz
lvl.1

United States

Can you try reverting to the previous firmware and see how far you can fly.  It looks like you have a ton of interference in the 2.4ghz band, if you could get it to work 5.8ghz might be less noisy
2022-8-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its not the range perse', its the fact that's its still in CE mode and not the more powerful FCC mode, assuming you are in the US?
2022-8-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, we are sorry for any inconvenience. May I ask where you receive the replacement from? Could you please provide us with the reference number such as the case number(CAS) for a check? As for the range issue, may I ask where you test the drone? If possible, please test in another wide and broad place and turn off the wifi and Bluetooth of DJI RC to see if the issue still exists.
2022-8-6
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 8-6 20:25
Hi there, we are sorry for any inconvenience. May I ask where you receive the replacement from? Could you please provide us with the reference number such as the case number(CAS) for a check? As for the range issue, may I ask where you test the drone? If possible, please test in another wide and broad place and turn off the wifi and Bluetooth of DJI RC to see if the issue still exists.

Hello,

here is the information, I really do not understand why DJI sent the same controller if this case was for me to test a RCN-1. As for the WIFI and Bluetooth both are off as default when you turn on the RC.

CAS-10022293-J1T8C9
For how long will we be testing and testing devices and replacements with no resolution? I am feed up with DJI at this point and next step is to get all of this hardware returned and get  a refund, I didn't pay over 1K on a device to work for DJI testing devices that were supposed to be tested before being launched, it is time consuming for the users and extremelly frustating. With the amounf of users having frequency issues with the Mini 3 Pro at this point, definitely there is room for a class action if DJI deny refunding customers.

2022-8-6
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

zzjollygreenzz Posted at 8-6 19:38
Can you try reverting to the previous firmware and see how far you can fly.  It looks like you have a ton of interference in the 2.4ghz band, if you could get it to work 5.8ghz might be less noisy

The issue here is the CE frequency that is persistent, going back to the previous firmware will take DJI liability if the aircraft fails and something more serious happens.

2022-8-6
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-6 19:55
Its not the range perse', its the fact that's its still in CE mode and not the more powerful FCC mode, assuming you are in the US?

Yes I am in California US
2022-8-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fly.overflying Posted at 8-6 20:35
Yes I am in California US

Its quite strange, i know Canada was having this issue but not the US, I am going to assume you're all logged in etc.

When you spoke to support, did you tell then you're having issues with range or did you tell them that its stuck in CE mode when it should be FCC? It should be the latter.
2022-8-6
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just a wild guess. Maybe wait a day or two while the drone adjusts itself to your location? Sorry I can't be much more help
2022-8-6
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

you will probably fly a little bit further with RCN-1
2022-8-6
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-6 21:35
Its quite strange, i know Canada was having this issue but not the US, I am going to assume you're all logged in etc.

When you spoke to support, did you tell then you're having issues with range or did you tell them that its stuck in CE mode when it should be FCC? It should be the latter.

My interaction with DJI support has been consistent for the past 3 weeks between getting an aircraft replacement and today a new RC arrived but the wrong one previously discussed. I have sent flight logs, RC logs, videos, screen shots, everything possible on the technical aspect.
2022-8-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fateofangel Posted at 8-6 22:00
you will probably fly a little bit further with RCN-1

Mine flys half the distance with the RC-N1 controller and the video feed is much less smooth.
2022-8-7
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

DAFlys Posted at 8-7 00:19
Mine flys half the distance with the RC-N1 controller and the video feed is much less smooth.

O im basing on some yt relations, so it may differ as we see depending on circumstances
2022-8-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-7 00:19

I didnt expect that chap, i havent done a range test using my N1 yet, i don't understand the Binding, it says i have 3 goes left  
2022-8-7
Use props
zzjollygreenzz
lvl.1

United States

Just tested with the RC232/RCN1, apparently they are the same.

When the mini 3 pro powers up on the N1, it is in normal transmission mode where you can select dual band, 5.8ghz, 2.4ghz, etc... I immediately tested my RC controller, it comes up in the restricted transmission mode, dual-band, 5.8ghz and 2.4ghz are not options, it just shows the 2.4 ghz spectrum and no ability to select any transmission options.

I did flight tests as well.  Flying the N1, not a single bar was lost out to 1500m, flying in the 1m to 20m altitude range.  The whole time the transmission tab looked normal and it had selected 5.8ghz to use for the band

Flying with the RC controller, bars started dropping at 500m, down to 1-2 bars in the 700-900m range.  I didn't fly past 1000m.  Today it flew a little further than a few days ago.  The transmission tab always stayed in the restricted mode, only showing 2.4ghz spectrum with no options available.

Something is definitely different between these two controllers
2022-8-7
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

zzjollygreenzz Posted at 8-7 10:35
Just tested with the RC232/RCN1, apparently they are the same.

When the mini 3 pro powers up on the N1, it is in normal transmission mode where you can select dual band, 5.8ghz, 2.4ghz, etc... I immediately tested my RC controller, it comes up in the restricted transmission mode, dual-band, 5.8ghz and 2.4ghz are not options, it just shows the 2.4 ghz spectrum and no ability to select any transmission options.

Thank you for the test, I was expecting to receive a RCN 1 yesterday but DJI support ended up sending me another RC controller instead. I will test it later today and post my results as well.
2022-8-7
Use props
NutHouseDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1206654 ft
Canada

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the RC you just received?  Then update to latest firmware.

And just curious, were you ever at another location other than US?  Did you ever activate or fly when you were outside of US?
2022-8-7
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287841 ft
Australia

Though I don't have my 3 mini anymore, I do lurk on here frequently to see if things have been resolved by the manufacturer. I made a claim much earlier on that the manufacturer may have realised they made a very bad R&D decision when engineering the drone. My gut feeling now tells me that this most probably is the case and all the units have a design flaw in them. I caught up with the gentleman who purchased my mini 3 pro. He did upgrade to current firmware and I asked if we could fly it out for a range test. Furthest we achieved before we chickened out and brought it back home was 3.2km at a height of 120m

One thing I noticed though was the orientation of the drone greatly affected the full vs low signal symbol. I observed the signal meter change from yellow weak to full strength at 3.2km simply by rotating the craft to face our location to return home. As we rotated the aircraft while it was hovering we hit full signal again. This tells me its an obvious antenna placement scenario at play here. Where are the drones antenna? Are the antenna placement the same as previous mini?
2022-8-7
Use props
zzjollygreenzz
lvl.1

United States

NutHouseDrone Posted at 8-7 13:04
Have you tried doing a factory reset on the RC you just received?  Then update to latest firmware.

And just curious, were you ever at another location other than US?  Did you ever activate or fly when you were outside of US?

I never flew the mini 3 pro outside of hawaii.  I did reset the controller, through the system reset in the menu system.  I'm not sure if that's the same as a factory reset.  The reset I did erased everything, but I think the controller has the same most recent firmware.

Also, I tried my best to keep the controller pointed at the drone.  it did seem like with the N1 controller, the direction didn't matter, never lost a single bar
2022-8-7
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1226762 ft
United States

fly.overflying Posted at 8-6 20:34
The issue here is the CE frequency that is persistent, going back to the previous firmware will take DJI liability if the aircraft fails and something more serious happens.

If you fly in the USA, as i do, there is no need to have the reduced CE transmission power. I haven't seen that problem, but I can easily image it would be quite annoying.

TCS
2022-8-7
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

Chaosrider Posted at 8-7 14:35
If you fly in the USA, as i do, there is no need to have the reduced CE transmission power. I haven't seen that problem, but I can easily image it would be quite annoying.

TCS

If you don't mind me asking which part of US are you located?
2022-8-7
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

zzjollygreenzz Posted at 8-7 14:23
I never flew the mini 3 pro outside of hawaii.  I did reset the controller, through the system reset in the menu system.  I'm not sure if that's the same as a factory reset.  The reset I did erased everything, but I think the controller has the same most recent firmware.

Also, I tried my best to keep the controller pointed at the drone.  it did seem like with the N1 controller, the direction didn't matter, never lost a single bar

That's great if you are not getting affected by this issue in HI.
2022-8-7
Use props
zzjollygreenzz
lvl.1

United States

A guy on Facebook, received a response about this issue, looks like a firmware patch for it will be released in august
608C3C80-A3BF-43CA-9945-5EC6E5E97A8C.png
2022-8-7
Use props
MHM
Second Officer

United States

I also live in Hawaii and have never had any issues with my DJI drones.  I recently bought the mini 3 pro with no controller using the N1 RC that came with my air 2S.  
2022-8-7
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

MHM Posted at 8-7 19:02
I also live in Hawaii and have never had any issues with my DJI drones.  I recently bought the mini 3 pro with no controller using the N1 RC that came with my air 2S.

wow that is great. At this point we all know that the geographic location of the remote affects which frequency the aircraft locks into (CE or FCC).

The next question is why users in US (my situation) are getting CE mode instead of FCC if I'm in the US.
2022-8-7
Use props
MHM
Second Officer

United States

fly.overflying Posted at 8-7 19:14
wow that is great. At this point we all know that the geographic location of the remote affects which frequency the aircraft locks into (CE or FCC).

The next question is why users in US (my situation) are getting CE mode instead of FCC if I'm in the US.

I’m beginning to believe it’s a bad batch of mini 3’s…….for the record I recently purchased the mini 3 pro with no RC with a MFG date of 7-22 on the box. Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t DJI send you a replacement mini 3. Was the replacement they sent you in a new sealed box?  If so can you verify the MFG date.
2022-8-7
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Australia

MHM Posted at 8-7 20:10
I’m beginning to believe it’s a bad batch of mini 3’s…….for the record I recently purchased the mini 3 pro with no RC with a MFG date of 7-22 on the box. Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t DJI send you a replacement mini 3. Was the replacement they sent you in a new sealed box?  If so can you verify the MFG date.

My MIni 3 was first generation batch build and over the weekend flew out to  3.2km. It could have gone further but the owner decided to bring it back.
2022-8-7
Use props
MHM
Second Officer

United States

GLOBAL HAWK Posted at 8-7 20:17
My MIni 3 was first generation batch build and over the weekend flew out to  3.2km. It could have gone further but the owner decided to bring it back.
Thank you for the confirmation……I have no idea
2022-8-7
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

MHM Posted at 8-7 20:10
I’m beginning to believe it’s a bad batch of mini 3’s…….for the record I recently purchased the mini 3 pro with no RC with a MFG date of 7-22 on the box. Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t DJI send you a replacement mini 3. Was the replacement they sent you in a new sealed box?  If so can you verify the MFG date.

I got a brand new unit sealed box, MFG date for both the replacement and the original units is 06/2022.
2022-8-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 8-7 07:43
I didnt expect that chap, i havent done a range test using my N1 yet, i don't understand the Binding, it says i have 3 goes left

The binding is for fly away cover thats all.   
2022-8-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fateofangel Posted at 8-7 01:21
O im basing on some yt relations, so it may differ as we see depending on circumstances

You should test for yourself.
2022-8-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-8 01:10
The binding is for fly away cover thats all.

So what happens when i run out of the 5 tries and i have to bind it fully, does the flyaway cover transfer to the N1 and then back to the DJI RC when i go back to that one?
2022-8-8
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1226762 ft
United States

fly.overflying Posted at 8-7 15:02
If you don't mind me asking which part of US are you located?

Carson City, Nevada.

I have a beautiful place to fly!

:-)

TCS
2022-8-8
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

Chaosrider Posted at 8-8 06:48
Carson City, Nevada.

I have a beautiful place to fly!

Wow you and your drove are blessed!
2022-8-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fly.overflying Posted at 8-6 20:30
Hello,

here is the information, I really do not understand why DJI sent the same controller if this case was for me to test a RCN-1. As for the WIFI and Bluetooth both are off as default when you turn on the RC.

Sorry for the late reply. We will follow up on your case through this post. If you have any further inquiries, please also update this post so that we can better follow up on it. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid2816627
2022-8-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 8-8 03:27
So what happens when i run out of the 5 tries and i have to bind it fully, does the flyaway cover transfer to the N1 and then back to the DJI RC when i go back to that one?

As long as you have an interenet connection you can move it back and forth.
2022-8-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-8 22:30
As long as you have an interenet connection you can move it back and forth.

Ah, thats good to know, thank you
2022-8-9
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

GLOBAL HAWK Posted at 8-7 13:36
Though I don't have my 3 mini anymore, I do lurk on here frequently to see if things have been resolved by the manufacturer. I made a claim much earlier on that the manufacturer may have realised they made a very bad R&D decision when engineering the drone. My gut feeling now tells me that this most probably is the case and all the units have a design flaw in them. I caught up with the gentleman who purchased my mini 3 pro. He did upgrade to current firmware and I asked if we could fly it out for a range test. Furthest we achieved before we chickened out and brought it back home was 3.2km at a height of 120m

One thing I noticed though was the orientation of the drone greatly affected the full vs low signal symbol. I observed the signal meter change from yellow weak to full strength at 3.2km simply by rotating the craft to face our location to return home. As we rotated the aircraft while it was hovering we hit full signal again. This tells me its an obvious antenna placement scenario at play here. Where are the drones antenna? Are the antenna placement the same as previous mini?

I believe the Mini 3 Pro has 4 horizontal antennas, one in each arm.

The Mini 2 has 2 vertical antennas in the landing legs.
2022-8-9
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Australia

nosnoop Posted at 8-9 07:50
I believe the Mini 3 Pro has 4 horizontal antennas, one in each arm.

The Mini 2 has 2 vertical antennas in the landing legs.

Thanks for the reply.
2022-8-9
Use props
djiuser_rdMLke4EU77a
lvl.2

United States

I live near Seattle, WA. I purchased the Mini 3 Pro with the RC a couple weeks ago. The manufacture date on the box was 07/22. I had all the issues the OP described here. Stuck in CE mode, no option to change bandwidths, very poor range etc. The furthest I was able to go was about 400m. Poor transmission typically started around 250m. This was in a fairly open area with a few tall trees but nothing major. Changing altitude made little difference. For perspective, I have the 1st gen Mavic Air and can fly it well over 1000m in the same area without any issues. I tried all the suggested fixes- Upgraded firmware, downloaded DJI assistant and did a factory reset on both the controller and the drone, rolled back to previous versions of firmware and tested them, covered drone and delayed satellite connection etc. Nothing worked. I returned for a refund. This appears to be a major issue for a small amount of these drones and it’s unacceptable to me that DJI can’t seem to figure this out.
2022-8-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules