Samsung S8+ as a remote device / screen for the SE
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sanyin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49734 ft
Croatia

Hello, flyers, just a few words from a newbie regarding Samsung S8+ and the SE.

I bought mine some for X-MAS 2017!!!

It still works like a charm, and in the beginning, I thought it was too large for the SE RC device, but it fits perfectly, almost as if made in agreement with DJI. It should also fit the MINI 2, which is the same but a little bigger and better and more expensive than my SE

The main advantage of the S8+ is a very large, very bright HDR (first) screen with a super high WQHD display and a Gorilla 5 glass-the specs are below/

Type
Super AMOLED
Size6.2 inches, 98.3 cm2 (~84.0% screen-to-body ratio)
Resolution1440 x 2960 pixels, 18.5:9 ratio (~529 ppi density)
ProtectionCorning Gorilla Glass 5

Trust me, you do not need a bigger screen unless you are in professional video production.  The phone itself is rugged, almost indestructible (I hope I will not jinx it )   
and it had a few severe falls without any consequences or scratches.   

High capacity battery, reliable, and cheap to buy second-hand.   

Two things to take into consideration, though :                                                                                                                                                                                                

1-The first batch was made with a 32-bit OS, and later models with a 64-bit OS. -   If it is a 32-bit, you cannot use it, but most of them are 64-bit and perfect for their new role as a monitor.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 2- Turn on the debugging mode in a developer's mode of your new S8+, and you can take off.      

The only difference between a Samsung S8 and S8+ is the screen size; you definitely want an S8+.   

If you find an S8+ in good shape, buy it, you will have a good screen for years to come.

Have a wonderful Sunday, rotary wing aficionados.

S.

2022-8-6
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep, I use the S9 and it works fine. The S8 and later have superior screen brightness for a phone. However you are wrong about the 32/64 bit issue. Even my old S6 works ..just not as well ;-)
2022-8-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Sanyin. Good day and thank you for sharing these interesting information with us. Again, thank you for your support and keep flying.
2022-8-6
Use props
Sanyin
lvl.2
Croatia

GaryDoug Posted at 8-6 21:43
Yep, I use the S9 and it works fine. The S8 and later have superior screen brightness for a phone. However you are wrong about the 32/64 bit issue. Even my old S6 works ..just not as well ;-)

I am sure that you are right. I just read "problems" associated with the 32-bit. Version -

The screen is a jewel, though, for the price of any model (32 vs. 64 computing power), the -64 bit has got to be faster and seamless.

Have a good Sunday

S.

2022-8-6
Use props
Sanyin
lvl.2
Croatia

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-6 22:02
Hello there Sanyin. Good day and thank you for sharing these interesting information with us. Again, thank you for your support and keep flying.

My pleasure Stephen -
2022-8-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Sanyin Posted at 8-6 22:29
My pleasure Stephen -

Hi there Sanyin. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2022-8-7
Use props
Sanyin
lvl.2
United States

Hi guys, I have been flying in the meantime,, and the S8+ is an excellent device for the SE because it is simply the biggest device that can be "handled" by the SE's Remote.
On the other hand, when they Worked on a device in Samsung, it was meant to be a flagship (and it was and still is in many aspects). Still, in Samsung's labs, they paid special attention to the screen
it was the first HDR screen, very well made with Gorilla Glass protection -I quote Samsung-"Your Galaxy S8 has a resolution of 2960 x 1440, but it's not set to that out of the box. Here's how to make sure you're getting every last pixel out of that display."-one has to set the battery to the best performance option.

I am writing a bit more about the device because a good screen is vital to a good experience in flying. If I had some bucks, I d invest them in producing relatively cheap screens dedicated exclusively for DJI all models that are supposed to use a mobile device instead of a screen. Would you give $40-50 to have a dedicated screen for your model and your phone free to receive calls and take pics of your drone?
Well maybe $70 -It is hard to make a calculus but some company already in buiseness with screens should do it.

2022-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules