FPV for the DJI Minis
577 4 2022-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chaosrider
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1226762 ft
United States

I want to get advice for putting together a kit to allow the video for the DJI Minis to be viewed in an immersive FPV environment. I'm not looking for anything close to the quality of the video in the DJI FPV goggles, but I don't want just a box that holds the phone 5" from my eyes either. Something intermediate. I don't want to spend more money than necessary, but it has to work.

If we can develop a kit that we generally agree will work, and it's not outrageously expensive, I'll buy all the parts, put them together, and either make it work, or characterize how it doesn't work. Eventually we'll find a kit that does work, and I'll then document both that and the connection and operational procedures.

With a quick look, we need to identify the following:

1) Goggles to use for this purpose. They have to be fully immersive, block out the vast majority of the sunlight, and not just be a box to put a phone or tablet in. I'm looking for a specific product recommendation, preferably a link to buy it on Amazon.
2) What cabling would be needed? The system must retain DJI Fly as the control mechanism for the drone, so the cabling will need to support an architecture that includes both the phone and the goggles. A solution that works for both Android and iOS would be ideal, but I'm not interested in an iOS-only solution at the moment. Specific Amazon product pointer, if possible.
3) What other dongles, or any other hardware, would be needed?
4) What's the wiring architecture for the final Rube Goldberg device? What gets connected to what, by what cables?
5) What software might be needed, in addition to DJI Fly?

More requirements may be identified as the discussion progresses, which is fine. I've used the Rapid Prototyping variant of the Agile class of project management methodologies for decades.

Technical suggestions or questions of any kind will be greatly appreciated. Snark of any kind, whether directed at me or anyone else who joins the discussions, will be thoroughly UNappreciated, and I won't respond to any post that contains it.

This is clearly possible. It's just a question of making an organized and documented effort to find a good solution.

Thanks in advance!

8-)

TCS

2022-8-7
Use props
Grundy51
lvl.1

United States

This is a very good idea to enhance the Mini 2 capabilities. I have done some research but haven't come up with anything useful.
Why hasn't DJI supported goggle use by all their product line? Would it be possible for DJI to have one of their engineers reply to this question? This may be a good way for them to clear out all their obsolete gen 1 goggles.
2022-8-8
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
United States

Grundy51 Posted at 8-8 06:53
This is a very good idea to enhance the Mini 2 capabilities. I have done some research but haven't come up with anything useful.
Why hasn't DJI supported goggle use by all their product line? Would it be possible for DJI to have one of their engineers reply to this question? This may be a good way for them to clear out all their obsolete gen 1 goggles.

I'd like nothing better than a True Blue DJI product that does this, that I could just buy. But I think their resources are allocated elsewhere.

So, needful things that don't exist, must be invented!

There are apparently a wide range of VR goggles available in the model aviation world, but I don't know what kind of data input connection and format they use. Someone on another list suggested a device that  had an HDMI output and could also run DJI Fly, but I don't think that will work, at least not at a reasonable cost.

The lag that I've seen in wireless screen mirroring makes that a bad option.

So a phone will be necessary to run DJI Fly and control the aircraft, just like the Minis all do now. All the goggles need is the video feed...but how to get it to them? That's the sticky part.

Most phones only have one port, in my case (Samsung Galaxy S20 Note), it's a USB-C port, which is fairly common. But that port is already in use for connecting the phone to the RC. I don't see how it would possible to use some kind of splitter, and multi-plex the port so that it continues in its current role, and also sends a wired signal to the goggles.

It's a tough problem.

I'm hoping that by raising the issue here, I'll get some insights into options  that I'm not currently seeing. If that doesn't work, I'll probably try the screen mirroring route just to see how bad the lag problem really is. That technology may well be better now that it was the last time that I tried to use it.

One proposed design that someone suggested would be a wireless dongle attached to the goggles, and use that for screen mirroring phone the phone to the goggles.

Have any of you actually tried that?

There's got to be a solution to this problem.

Thanks for your help!

TCS

2022-8-8
Use props
djiuser_W7ZVvhNPeqnv
New
Canada

I'm new to all this so spitballing questions in regard

Is the usb-c port on the RC only a charge port or can it be used for data , pics or video transfer?
possible to link here for vr?
I'm hoping to keep a designated phone perm-attached to the rc, looking at possibilities
2022-8-10
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_W7ZVvhNPeqnv Posted at 8-10 09:34
I'm new to all this so spitballing questions in regard

Is the usb-c port on the RC only a charge port or can it be used for data , pics or video transfer?

Well, you can connect the RC-M1 to a computer with the USB-C on the bottom, so there may be something that can be done with that. I don't think the video signal can be routed through that port, however.

What's the port on top of the RC-N1? Is that a USB-C, or something weird? I think it's a USB-C, but a quick look at the manual was...unhelpful.

I'm getting tempted to buy a set of cheap "box goggles" that just hold the phone, to see if that works for me. But I want to make sure that I have or can easily get a longer cable to run from the top port on the RC-N1, to the phone in the goggles.

Thx!

TCS
2022-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules