Latest from DJI- M3 slow-flying capability and more
1100 27 2022-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Many here will know that I have been a very big critic of the Mavic 3  from when I first received it late last year. But slowly we have been  getting wins from support/engineering
and lately they have been very responsive to issues we have raised. I  feel now the M3 is getting very close to the aircraft/camera system it  was supposed to be, and that is a great system!

One of the things Pros have been concerned about from Day 1 has been the  ability to control the M3 at VERY low speed like the Mavic 2. Shots  like going up and around the bark of a tree or tracking a lizard over  the ground (whatever!) The good news is not only are they onto it but  they have acknowledged that it cannot currently fly as slow as the M2P,  so it wasn't our collective imagination! Additionally they are looking  at issues on some macs (like mine....) that have random difficulties  in playing certain files via Quicktime and are not displaying a clip  thumbnail. So the wheels are turning, and here is their detailed  response:

"A. In regard to the optimization of the drone speed in Cine  mode, I am glad to tell you that I have got the latest confirmation from  our senior level. Apart from adding the EXP settings on Cine mode which  we have done, we have planned to make the Speed Adjustment Function  just like the Mavic 2 series did, to be available on Mavic 3.

Because if we want to fundamentally optimize the speed in Cine mode,  adding EXP adjustment is only one aspect. In the long run, we will need  to add the speed adjustment function. For instance, just like if we  would like to optimize the performance of the car in a certain drive  mode, we will need to not only optimize the logic of the gearbox(just  like EXP Settings), but most importantly, we also need to optimize the  ECU accordingly, and the combination is the complete optimization  solution.

However, compared with the EXP adjustment function, the realization of  the speed adjustment function does require a longer period, but our  concerned team will do our best to speed up the progress. For now, you  can adjust the EXP under Cine to 0.1, and then use the stick volume of  about 50%, and the speed at this time is the slowest speed that can  ensure stability.

B. In regard to the issue that .mov and .mp4 files can not be  played on the Apple Quicktime player, we are sorry to say that this  issue was due to the current version of Quicktime and our team will also  feedback this issue to Apple as well. Hopefully we can solve this issue  as soon as possible."

2022-8-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing Chris.
2022-8-9
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-9 03:43
Thanks for sharing Chris.

No probs Downtown, overall things are looking really good for the M3 now
2022-8-9
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for sharing this Chris. This is great that DJI folks are being responsive and they also want to make it the best portable consumer drone there is out there. I have been enjoying and very appreciative to DJI for adding features in latest firmware versions. For example addition of HLG was great. I also had followed up with Support folks on it and they had also assured me they would release HLG in the future update and they did. The Exp settings and gimbal dampening controls are also great additions that were made in prior firmware updates. The zoom function that was optimized when main camera and tele lens can be manually switched to. Custom buttons for smart controller to adjust parameters such as exposure. Support for Pro level video / photo parameters at the bottom right portion of the screen. ProRes additional formats, not just 422HQ. I think they have added photo raw options too for tele lens and other enhancements for photo , I mostly do video and don't  know much about them. Just my 2 cents on the features I actually use and appreciate the addition of. Hope DJI continues to improve this bird. Thank you for talking to DJI on future improvement there Chris. Take care,  Mike.
2022-8-9
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Absolutely fantastic news
2022-8-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

christangey Posted at 8-9 05:35

Indeed things are looking really great for the M3 now and was super nice to hear that DJI does respond to some of the consumer requests.  
2022-8-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-9 09:53
Indeed things are looking really great for the M3 now and was super nice to hear that DJI does respond to some of the consumer requests.

Yeah I just mentioned this yesterday to TonyPHX https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 200&pid=2816088 that a controlled cine/tripod mode was just what Mavic 3 needed Phillip Bloom announced this after his last review of new FW. The Mavic 3 is a superb craft.
2022-8-9
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Mzp Posted at 8-9 06:35
Thank you for sharing this Chris. This is great that DJI folks are being responsive and they also want to make it the best portable consumer drone there is out there. I have been enjoying and very appreciative to DJI for adding features in latest firmware versions. For example addition of HLG was great. I also had followed up with Support folks on it and they had also assured me they would release HLG in the future update and they did. The Exp settings and gimbal dampening controls are also great additions that were made in prior firmware updates. The zoom function that was optimized when main camera and tele lens can be manually switched to. Custom buttons for smart controller to adjust parameters such as exposure. Support for Pro level video / photo parameters at the bottom right portion of the screen. ProRes additional formats, not just 422HQ. I think they have added photo raw options too for tele lens and other enhancements for photo , I mostly do video and don't  know much about them. Just my 2 cents on the features I actually use and appreciate the addition of. Hope DJI continues to improve this bird. Thank you for talking to DJI on future improvement there Chris. Take care,  Mike.

Of course let's not forget that EXP and HLG were standard on the M2P, as was a decent controller! But I really feel the people dealing with this now are keen to make good for the future.
2022-8-9
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

christangey Posted at 8-9 16:36
Of course let's not forget that EXP and HLG were standard on the M2P, as was a decent controller! But I really feel the people dealing with this now are keen to make good for the future.

Yes for sure Chris, it seems the redesigned the Fly app from scratch and I guess the hardware is all new, maybe they had to take time to add these feature on it. Really happy that the people dealing with this at DJI are also on our side in this. Thank you, Mike.
2022-8-9
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Mzp Posted at 8-9 17:59
Yes for sure Chris, it seems the redesigned the Fly app from scratch and I guess the hardware is all new, maybe they had to take time to add these feature on it. Really happy that the people dealing with this at DJI are also on our side in this. Thank you, Mike.

agreed Mike
2022-8-9
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm looking forward to buying M3 when it is complete.  Or M3S if it is ready for market sooner.
2022-8-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello there, Chris. Thank you for reaching out. We really appreciate you for sharing this statement of yours. Rest assured that we will continue to improve our products based on our customer suggestions. Thank you for your valued support and wish you have a blessed day ahead!
2022-8-9
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-9 21:12
Hello there, Chris. Thank you for reaching out. We really appreciate you for sharing this statement of yours. Rest assured that we will continue to improve our products based on our customer suggestions. Thank you for your valued support and wish you have a blessed day ahead!

thanks Paladin
2022-8-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 8-9 12:20
Yeah I just mentioned this yesterday to TonyPHX https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=270200&pid=2816088 that a controlled cine/tripod mode was just what Mavic 3 needed Phillip Bloom announced this after his last review of new FW. The Mavic 3 is a superb craft.

Mavic 3 is now a true beast.    
2022-8-10
Use props
Marleyman
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for this post...just got my new Mavic 3 Cine and I immediately noticed that I couldn't control it at low speeds like I can my Mavic 2. Appreciate the heads up thanks!
2022-8-11
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Marleyman Posted at 8-11 04:34
Thanks for this post...just got my new Mavic 3 Cine and I immediately noticed that I couldn't control it at low speeds like I can my Mavic 2. Appreciate the heads up thanks!

Not there yet Marley but getting (relatively) close after a long wait. Remember, it could still take months from now!
2022-8-11
Use props
Marleyman
lvl.2
United States

christangey Posted at 8-11 05:25
Not there yet Marley but getting (relatively) close after a long wait. Remember, it could still take months from now!

Ah, thanks christangey!
2022-8-11
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Marleyman Posted at 8-11 06:05
Ah, thanks christangey!

No problems
2022-8-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

You are very much welcome, christan. Take care always, sir!
2022-8-11
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I still fly my M2p regularly. I wish I could fly my M3 more, but I can't trust it yet, especially in tricky maneuvers. Maybe it will come to me.
2022-8-11
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 8-11 20:28
I still fly my M2p regularly. I wish I could fly my M3 more, but I can't trust it yet, especially in tricky maneuvers. Maybe it will come to me.

I think the series of firmware updates this year have made it a lot more "trustable" now Gary but I understand your doubts from when it first came out. I think it is absolutely fine now providing that before you take off you always wait to hear that little voice in your head: "Your location has been updated please check it on the map!"
2022-8-12
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

christangey Posted at 8-9 05:35

Except for the sdk....
2022-8-12
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

TonyPHX Posted at 8-12 06:56
Except for the sdk....

True Tony, I haven't been lobbying for that. Do you know who is and where that is at now?
2022-8-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for you thoughts!
2022-8-21
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 8-21 23:24
Thanks for you thoughts!

no problems Montfrooij
2022-8-22
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

christangey Posted at 8-12 17:10
True Tony, I haven't been lobbying for that. Do you know who is and where that is at now?

Honestly, no idea.  Nobody of name recognition that is.  

I really feel like the M3 is so close, but this final gap seems needlessly painful.  The slow speed and gentle braking, the ADS-B of questionable function (and yes, I know it is not the most useful feature even when it works) and the continued lack of automation capability via the SDK mean that this is the least useful drone in my small fleet.
2022-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

christangey Posted at 8-22 17:25
no problems Montfrooij

2022-8-22
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

TonyPHX Posted at 8-22 17:34
Honestly, no idea.  Nobody of name recognition that is.  

I really feel like the M3 is so close, but this final gap seems needlessly painful.  The slow speed and gentle braking, the ADS-B of questionable function (and yes, I know it is not the most useful feature even when it works) and the continued lack of automation capability via the SDK mean that this is the least useful drone in my small fleet.

Yes Tony depends on what you use it for, It's getting a lot closer for film and television work
2022-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules