DJI Mic on an iPhone - 2 channel recording?
6270 32 2022-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pokeydale
lvl.2
Flight distance : 208087 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does the DJI Mic support 2 channel recording on iPhone video?  I am considering a purchase for doing many 1 on 1 interview type situations and I want the audio to be separated by person.  Is this possible?
2022-8-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. With DJI Mic, you can now easily record audio that matches the quality of your videos. It's ideal for creators looking to gain an edge and elevate their content to the next level. It delivers exceptional sound quality and dual-channel recording at distances of up to 250 m. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-8-9
Use props
charisjapan
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-9 20:38
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. With DJI Mic, you can now easily record audio that matches the quality of your videos. It's ideal for creators looking to gain an edge and elevate their content to the next level. It delivers exceptional sound quality and dual-channel recording at distances of up to 250 m. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support.

Hi!  I'm new to the forum, but been messing around with my Air 2 for a while, and now just got a DJI MIC.  I would also like to know if this mic will record in stereo on an iPhone 13?  I now have an iPhone 11 with the Lightning connector, but there is so little real information about stereo 2-channel recording with a USB-C Apple device.  

It's true, the DJI MIC "easily matches the quality of the videos," but that's not really the question.  Two microphones, two channels coming into the receiver, but only MONO recording?  With the Lightning connector, I can understand some limitations, but USB-C is supposed to solve such issues.  It's easy to say "Apple's Fault," but if so, please clearly say that on the website.  

Somebody build a fire under the DJI team to fix this inexcusable product weakness.

Sorry for the rant, but I do feel a bit cheated ...

cj
2022-8-10
Use props
Pokeydale
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

You summed up what I was asking well thank you. Everything I’ve read says that with the lightning interface both recording channels are recorded in mono.  Can we get clarification on that?
2022-8-10
Use props
Paul Kramm
lvl.2
United States

no you cannot record stereo on a iPhone 13, kind of misleading of DJI. It could be just a simple firmware update. Just do it!!!!!
2022-8-11
Use props
Paul Kramm
lvl.2
United States

This sounds like a canned response. Tell the truth you cannot record stereo, separate audio on to a iPhone 13. Buyer beware
2022-8-11
Use props
mrveronn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16093 ft
Canada

I've just discovered that the audio is only mono with the lightning connector on my iPhone 12 Max...shame, very disappointing. Saw another posting that using the Rode USB C to lightning cable did not work either.
2022-8-19
Use props
Pokeydale
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Hey anybody from DJI…. Is there a plan to address this?  It would be nice to be able to do interview videos and have left/right separation.  This would allow for truly “Professional” audio with videos.  This has to be addressed with a firmware update.  
2022-8-19
Use props
Pokeydale
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for answering my question.  But you really did not address my question.  Can it record 2 channel audio to the iPhone so the the videos have 2 channel audio and not both channels of audio being mono.  
2022-8-19
Use props
PuraVida
New

Austria

No, that is not true, it is only Mono!!
2022-9-15
Use props
ollebrandt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 137510 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Hallo! I tested it today and obviously DJI is knowledgeable of this, when connecting to the iPhone (in my case an iPhone12) the settings in the receiver changes to Mono, and is stuck there, indicating that the software have handled this. Soo, my Apple friends. If you want stereo, you have to deal with in post... but at least you have a good base to to sync with. And you have the backup in the mic transmitters...
I have still not checked whether it is exactly the same mono sound in both channels, but expect that...
2022-9-27
Use props
Prismavision
lvl.2
Sweden

If you look at the Lightning adapter for the receiver it just has four golden connectors compared to the USB-C adapter that has eight golden connectors. It looks like it is a physical difference between the adapters. I guess that is the reason why stereo can’t be managed.

Workaround:
Anyhow, You can instead use a Lightning to USB-A adapter and then hook up A USB-A to USB-C adapter. Then use the USB-C adapter not the receiver. The result will be stereo for iPhone but it is a more clumsy setup. Still works as a workaround.
2022-10-5
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I doubt that workaround will work either - no matter which adapters you use, it still terminates in the lightning connector, which still has its 4 pins.......
2022-10-6
Use props
Prismavision
lvl.2
Sweden

IftiBashir Posted at 10-6 00:54
I doubt that workaround will work either - no matter which adapters you use, it still terminates in the lightning connector, which still has its 4 pins.......
Maybe you did not get my explanation. You use the usb-c connector on the DJI Mic receiver.

And I just found this solution as well.
https://youtu.be/D6MaV--06c0

Use headset/headphones to hear it.
2022-10-8
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cant even hear it so doesnt work very well!
2022-10-10
Use props
Prismavision
lvl.2
Sweden

IftiBashir Posted at 10-10 00:40
I guess the person demonstrating the solution have not bumped up the gain as the DJI mics is set quite low as standard.
Sad that your can’t hear it.
Anyhow, the adapter only costs like $15 so it should not burn your wallet. Cheapest workaround so far. And you can always return the product if you can’t get it to work so you really have nothing to loose if you do not have a better solution at hand.
2022-10-10
Use props
Prismavision
lvl.2
Sweden

IftiBashir Posted at 10-10 00:40

2022-10-15
Use props
djiuser_1kSh4FhBu5to
New

United States

This is so disappointing
2023-2-6
Use props
Pokeydale
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

What is really disappointing is that DJI does not really acknowledge this as an issue.  I find their service to normally be excellent, but this seems to be something they keep in a dark hole and don't want to address.  This is a very expensive item and for it not to be able to do a simple thing like record in 2 channels on the worlds most used mobile platform is amazing.
2023-2-10
Use props
Pokeydale
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2022-8-9 20:38

Please respond to my original question about doing interviews with people and having 2 channels recording individual responses separately.  
2023-2-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Paul Kramm Posted at 2022-8-11 05:26
This sounds like a canned response. Tell the truth you cannot record stereo, separate audio on to a iPhone 13. Buyer beware

Thank you for your feedback. Due to the limitations of the iPhone’s Lightning port, only mono effect recording is supported when the DJI Mic Mobile Phone Adapter (lightning) or the DJI Mic Camera Audio Cable (3.5 mm TRS) is used for connection. To conduct the stereo effect recording, please connect according to the specified solution. Thank you for your understanding and support.

1. iPhone + DJI Mic Mobile Phone Adapter (lightning) + DJI Mic receiver: Only Mono recording is supported.

2. iPhone + Lightning to 3.5 mm adapter cable + 3.5 mm TRRS to 3.5 mm TRS audio cable + DJI Mic receiver: Only Mono recording is supported.

3. iPhone + Lightning to USB-A adapter cable + USB-A to USB-C cable (original power cable) + DJI Mic receiver: Stereo recording is supported.

4. iPhone + Lightning to USB-C adapter + USB-C adapter + DJI Mic receiver: Stereo recording is supported.
* The Lightning to USB-C adapter must support an external microphone with a digital chip.
2023-2-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Pokeydale Posted at 2-10 06:32
Please respond to my original question about doing interviews with people and having 2 channels recording individual responses separately.

Thank you for your response. We will coordinate this with our designated team for clarification. We will keep you posted. Thank you.
2023-2-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Kindly please refer to the information above. Thank you.
2023-2-11
Use props
Samuitan
New

Thailand

Pokeydale Posted at 2-10 06:27
What is really disappointing is that DJI does not really acknowledge this as an issue.  I find their service to normally be excellent, but this seems to be something they keep in a dark hole and don't want to address.  This is a very expensive item and for it not to be able to do a simple thing like record in 2 channels on the worlds most used mobile platform is amazing.
I have to agree. It would seem someone dropped the ball designing the Lightning interface with half the contacts and wiring needed.
I have ordered a Meloaudio adapter as a work around. But, also because I use a brand new Osmo 6 gimbal system the adaptor combination will definitely hit the gimbal base. Not working out. So it can only be used in frozen positions and no tracking unless  1) I can off angle the camera with adaptor and receiver
or  2) get a tiny Lightning F to Lightning M cable that is very short,
or  3) if long wire, flexible enough to not constrict the gimbal action, and use the receiver taped on somewhere.
This of course will be total kludge and hardly professional looking.

I implore DJI to make existing purchasers whole with a new, tested 8 contact lightning adaptor.
Paying $320 for a stereo rig and only getting mono yet it works for USB C is not value added.
I bought the DJI precisely because it was your supposedly integrated system. Apparently not….
2023-2-14
Use props
Samuitan
New

Thailand

DJI Paladin Posted at 2-11 21:01
Thank you for your feedback. Due to the limitations of the iPhone’s Lightning port, only mono effect recording is supported when the DJI Mic Mobile Phone Adapter (lightning) or the DJI Mic Camera Audio Cable (3.5 mm TRS) is used for connection. To conduct the stereo effect recording, please connect according to the specified solution. Thank you for your understanding and support.

1. iPhone + DJI Mic Mobile Phone Adapter (lightning) + DJI Mic receiver: Only Mono recording is supported.

Great, a work around that doesn’t allow me to use the Gimbal system as advertised.
Please remanufacture the lightning part with full functionality for your FULL system Osmo 6 and DJI mic’d as they should be used, and as advertised.
2023-2-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Samuitan Posted at 2-14 22:18
Great, a work around that doesn’t allow me to use the Gimbal system as advertised.
Please remanufacture the lightning part with full functionality for your FULL system Osmo 6 and DJI mic’d as they should be used, and as advertised.

Thank you for your feedback. We will coordinate this with our relative team for attention. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-2-16
Use props
Turtle49
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67024 ft
United States

I thought I would show my setup as well. It is similar to one posted above to get stereo recording on my iPhone 13 Pro, but I also wanted to add a power bank for charging while I record.
Here is the Amazon link to the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter with Charging Port:
https://amzn.to/45BBiMo

Stereo recording works, and I can charge my phone while recording.
2023-5-30
Use props
Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

To be honest, that’s weird to add a bunch of cable just to get two channel recording.
I was going to buy this mic to replace my Wireless Go II but I’m stopping here !
2023-7-23
Use props
vshvarts
lvl.2
Flight distance : 597060 ft
Russia

It can record stereo with lightning OTG adapter. So it's not an Apple fault but DJI
2023-8-20
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have an adapter that should be delivered today that I'm hoping will work for me for stereo recording. This absolutely is not an Apple issue. There are others that are able to allow stereo recording with lightning connectors. My opinion, this is a an issue with the DJI mic system. I don't care much for having to have adapters  as then I have to use a cable instead of plugging the receiver straight into my phone. So far, this is the only issue I have with the DJI Mic system. I've been just taking the audio recordings from each microphone and adding them in through post editing but we shouldn't have to do that with the DJI Mic system I don't think.
2023-8-25
Use props
Pokeydale
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI....  Will this be fixed with the iphone 15 and it's new USB-C connection?
2023-9-22
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pokeydale Posted at 9-22 11:28
DJI....  Will this be fixed with the iphone 15 and it's new USB-C connection?

In theory it should work, but this part is not entirely up to DJI, but also Apple and any constraints they may have put on the port. Would be interesting to hear from someone who's got DJI Mic and an iPhone 15 to know for sure.
2023-10-2
Use props
CFI_69
lvl.1
Romania

Hi!
I purchased the DJI Mic a little while ago.
I encountered the same problem in terms of recording quality sound in stereo mode.
I tried two USB C to Lightning adapters.
One of the adapters worked flawlessly without any problems and I got a stereo recording on my iPhone 12 Pro.
The name of this adapter is:
"Mcdodo USB C to Lightning Adapter Lightning to USB C Female Charging and OTG USB C Female to i-OS Male Compatible with iPhone".
I bought it from Romania, European Union.
https://www.emag.ro/adaptor-telefon-mcdodo-tip-lightning-otg-usb-c-gri-ca-1440/pd/DM0NG4MBM/?ref=hdr-favorite_products
I also found a link for Amazon:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/mcdodo-Lightning-Adapter-Charging-Compatible/dp/B0BZTVG7K9/ref=sr_1_9?crid=MHNG5Q2CYPIF&keywords=McDodo+OTG&qid=1701821365&sprefix=mcdodo+otg%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-9
The price is about 13 Euro.
I hope this information helps you!
All the best!

Mcdodo 1.jpeg
Mcdodo 2.jpeg
Mcdodo 3.jpeg
Mcdodo 4.jpeg
Mcdodo 5.jpeg
2023-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now