DJI Mic connection issues (signal keeps dropping)
4366 23 2022-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MatthijsDeDeugd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5591 ft
Netherlands

Hi all,

Did a first test with the DJI Mic (+ Sony A7IV), but was disappointed with the connection. The signal drops way too easily when my body is in between the transmitter and receiver.

Here you can listen to the range test: https://youtu.be/E5CViO_SnSQ?t=184 (from 3:04)
It's in Dutch but in the bottom left you can see when the signal drops out.
It was already giving issues within a few meters away from the receiver. Direct line of sight was fine though, but any slight obstruction causes the signal to drop out. My old Boya set had a perfect connection up until 30-40 meters with my body in between.

Why is this an issue?
Firstly I don't want to be unable to turn around, or when I'm using both transmitters I don't want the other person to be unable to turn around. (or sideways even)
Secondly, and maybe even more important, is that I want to be able to keep the transmitter in a back pocket and use a lavalier. Both for YouTube and for commercial work. And yes I could put it in a front pocket because it's that small, but when I turn around, same issue again.
I know I can use the backup recording, but the whole idea is that I want audio that's synced to video right away.

I did another test on a wide open field, without the RC controller in my hand. The signal was exactly the same.

Anyone else experiencing this? Or a solution? The product is near perfect, the signal just isn't.
Literally no one on YouTube is talking about this issue, maybe because they are all sponsorships.

Let me know what you're experiencing and hopefully a fix will be available soon.

Thanks,
Matthijs
2022-8-9
Use props
TooDeep
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The first time I used my DJI mic, to record audio from my niece and great-niece as I filmed them at a driving event, the audio started breaking up almost as soon as they walked away towards their cars as other attendees passed between them and the camera. There were plenty of walkie-talkies around and people with their mobile devices, so I kind of made excuses but you're right. I typically don't want to get pristine audio from a subject standing 200 metres away (or whatever the claim is) in an open field or along a beach with perfect line of sight, which is how reviewers and probably DJI themselves test this product. I'd be happy with total reliability up to 40 metres regardless of obstructions.
2022-8-9
Use props
MatthijsDeDeugd
lvl.1
Netherlands

TooDeep Posted at 8-9 09:09
The first time I used my DJI mic, to record audio from my niece and great-niece as I filmed them at a driving event, the audio started breaking up almost as soon as they walked away towards their cars as other attendees passed between them and the camera. There were plenty of walkie-talkies around and people with their mobile devices, so I kind of made excuses but you're right. I typically don't want to get pristine audio from a subject standing 200 metres away (or whatever the claim is) in an open field or along a beach with perfect line of sight, which is how reviewers and probably DJI themselves test this product. I'd be happy with total reliability up to 40 metres regardless of obstructions.

Yeah exactly, I would like to have a reliable connection within reasonable distances.

I saw this video (which was sponsored): https://youtu.be/ztixixHo5mo
And noticed no issues at 5:05 when he turned around. I asked in the comments if he used the backup or the in-camera audio, but no response.

Really hoping this is an issue that can be fixed through firmware. Any DJI representative that could comment?
2022-8-9
Use props
Mike Austin
lvl.1

Canada

Ive shot 5 weddings in the last 2 weeks, and have had signal issues during all of them. Thank goodness I had the backup recording going. The signal is absolutely horrible unless direct in a very short line of sight scenario, and from what I've seen it does not pass through bodies well at all. What really prompted my disgust was the wedding I just did this weekend. The ceremony went horrible and the audio was absolutely inaudible and broken. I was 50' away from the bride and groom and had one mic on the officiant, and one on the groom. Both were bad. And for the reception, I was literally 20 ft away from the podium where I had the TX mounted to and I was getting down to 2 bars of signal on the RX. I even asked the DJ to turn off his mic, so I could troubleshoot and still the issue persisted.  I am going to be returning this unit unfortunately... Back to my Rode Wireless Go II for the time being. I have a feeling this is why DJI was delaying the shipping of these over the last year. Bummer.. Ive tried uploading a video and photo showing this, but the forum is giving me a popup that says "group" file size too large... O well..
2022-8-22
Use props
Najam
lvl.1

Pakistan

I am having same issue with dji mic and dont know what ro do
2022-9-16
Use props
Najam
lvl.1

Pakistan

I got my dji mic in Pakistan a gift from a friend and I also having same issues. It keeps disconnecting when I go further 10 15 meters away from rx. Though I work with rode wireless 200m away from rx with turning face and got no disconnection. Is it possible to return it back as I live in Pakistan and the mic is in warranty.
2022-9-16
Use props
MatthijsDeDeugd
lvl.1
Netherlands

Any update on this from DJI? I'm getting quite annoyed with the DJI Mic's connection. It's just bad.

Have a listen here from 8:12 to 8:18 https://youtu.be/33sBxJkQ5mE?t=492

You can clearly hear the rumble/distortion when he speaks.

The transmitter is in his left front pocket (see the wide shot to get an idea of the setup), so there's only an arm in the way? And it's dropping quality already?

Yeah yeah I could use the backup audio, but why would I want to do that all the time? I got the DJI Mic for the ease of use and so that I don't have to sync in post anymore.

In this example I did use the backup audio, because the audio just wasn't good enough: https://youtu.be/q-bU5hJMY3A?t=81
You see me standing behind my desk with the transmitter in my left front pocket. So the table was enough to cause issues with the connection? That's bad.

How am I able to use this in any professional environment where audio quality is critical, without syncing backup audio in post? Okay a long interview is easily synced, but what about 50+ clips for an outdoor vlog/video production?

Please DJI, update us on this issue and hopefully make a firmware update to improve. If impossible to update, to me it's a faulty product.
2022-10-3
Use props
MatthijsDeDeugd
lvl.1
Netherlands

Any update? DJI is also not responding on my support message.

Shot another vlog yesterday while flying my drone. Just listen to this example: https://youtu.be/ZAFr2ZS7VOo
This happens all the time with minor obstructions. The connection is absolutely horrendous.
2022-10-22
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

Nice one   !
2022-10-30
Use props
Jamie Woods
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3460469 ft
Australia

Has anyone had any response from DJI because this issue is so bad and with every shoot, I'm recording internally to ensure I get good audio.
2023-5-8
Use props
djiuser_yQwQ5gXhfj3K
New
Norway

Same issue here with a lavalier mic (different brands tested) while hiding the transmitter behind the talent or in a thin pocket (jacket or trousers), less than 5m away from receiver - indoor. Random drop-outs and clicks. Luckily the backup recording saved the day.

This is unacceptable and I have not experienced this bad connection with any older systems I own. Quite disappointing as form factor and UX otherwise are great, but what does that count for when it’s this unreliable.

Awaiting support reply. Hoping for a replacement or fix in the near future.
2023-11-14
Use props
TooDeep
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_yQwQ5gXhfj3K Posted at 11-14 07:52
Same issue here with a lavalier mic (different brands tested) while hiding the transmitter behind the talent or in a thin pocket (jacket or trousers), less than 5m away from receiver - indoor. Random drop-outs and clicks. Luckily the backup recording saved the day.

This is unacceptable and I have not experienced this bad connection with any older systems I own. Quite disappointing as form factor and UX otherwise are great, but what does that count for when it’s this unreliable.

I consider it unlikely any fix is forthcoming for this long-standing issue, especially since DJI Mic 2 is apparently imminent. I have the new Mic 2 transmitter as part of the Osmo Pocket 3 Creative Combo and it seems promising. But then the same could have been said for the ultimately untrustworthy original and indeed was said repeatedly by the influencer community. Consequently, I was hoodwinked into buying two of the things but I certainly don't plan to buy the Mk 2 until it has received the blessing of real users.
2023-11-14
Use props
djiuser_yQwQ5gXhfj3K
New
Norway

TooDeep Posted at 11-14 12:59
I consider it unlikely any fix is forthcoming for this long-standing issue, especially since DJI Mic 2 is apparently imminent. I have the new Mic 2 transmitter as part of the Osmo Pocket 3 Creative Combo and it seems promising. But then the same could have been said for the ultimately untrustworthy original and indeed was said repeatedly by the influencer community. Consequently, I was hoodwinked into buying two of the things but I certainly don't plan to buy the Mk 2 until it has received the blessing of real users.

If that's the case, that noe fix or replacement is forthcoming, I consider this practically a fraud. Product does not deliver on what should be considered a plain minimum. I'm not going to even start on how I feel about influencers' part in this... unless service respond is a more positive experience they've lost me.
2023-11-14
Use props
TooDeep
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_yQwQ5gXhfj3K Posted at 11-14 21:46
If that's the case, that noe fix or replacement is forthcoming, I consider this practically a fraud. Product does not deliver on what should be considered a plain minimum. I'm not going to even start on how I feel about influencers' part in this... unless service respond is a more positive experience they've lost me.

I definitely agree that DJI support needs an overhaul if they seriously expect to court professionals. I have to say I've had good and bad days with the DJI Mic, so clearly environment plays a part. I've heard or read that using a wired lav mic makes a difference, perhaps doubling as an accidental antenna. I know some rival products, even more expensive "pro" ones, can be just as temperamental, though not necessarily under the same circumstances or in the same locations. I can't identify a pattern and it doesn't appear that paying more guarantees better results. I tend to reach for the DJI first because its usability is superior but, if I'm honest, a cheaper system I hesitate to name here gets me out of a DJI-shaped hole more often than the other way around.

If TX/RX on the next iteration is demonstrably stickier and its cold shoe mount is less ridiculously fragile, I suspect it will make my short list because, again, DJI ergonomics remain unrivalled but I understand the frustrations of those who don't want to discover they'll have to manually sync their audio. I wish you all the best and hope the support comes through but DJI's inaction over an issue first reported a couple of years ago suggests to me it is hardware-related.
2023-11-16
Use props
djiuser_xorpTa1SWfRv
New

Australia

Yes i've just been filming over the weekend and also experienced multiple drop outs. Also the camera just stopped recording multiple times so I had to re-shoot. The picture quality is so much better than the Pocket 2 but really need these issues sorted or it;s a bit of a waste of money.
1-7 19:30
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
Flight distance : 40909 ft
  • >>>
United States

The main reason the signal drops easily is that they are using 2.4ghz.  Rode has similar issues because everything uses 2.4.  Most of the people you see on YouTube who don't have issues are usually in quiet places with light traffic (woods, lakes, etc.), and even there, you can see it drop if they turn away from the receiver.  Some may not if they are near buildings where the signal can bounce back (maybe since 2.4 can penetrate walls more easily).

These are lightweight systems, so you should always use backup recording.

There is not much DJI can do to keep the system this small.  If you look at the pro systems they are much bigger with external antennas, etc. so there will be a tradeoff.
1-24 02:39
Use props
patrickleidgens
lvl.2
Belgium

I was testing DJI Mic 2 yesterday and was shocked about how bad transmission is in real conditions (coming from a 10 years old Sennheiser G3).

Transmitter less than 10 meters away from receiver, attached to hip with body in the way of both devices: touch the transmitter with arm or hand and signal drops!

What would happen if there are some people passing in the way during a live event?

This device is near perfect in terms of design, user interface and functionalities, but sound quality seems average and transmission range is bad in real life conditions (My god isn't it a WIRELESS MICROPHONE?).

Very sad, I think I will have to return it because I would never take the risk to use it for professional applications. Transmission simply not reliable enough.
1-24 08:18
Use props
susanb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1573228 ft
  • >>>
Vietnam

it's very disappointing that they say it has 250m audio transmission and omnidirectional recording so long as you don't turn sideways or so long as you have a clear path to the receiver.  who invented this?  I bought it to go to india for vlogging.  There will be people everywhere.  Can I expect it to lose connection every time someone gets between the camera and the 2nd mic?  Useless.  Please update fast guys!
1-25 00:40
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524908 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

patrickleidgens Posted at 1-24 08:18
I was testing DJI Mic 2 yesterday and was shocked about how bad transmission is in real conditions (coming from a 10 years old Sennheiser G3).

Transmitter less than 10 meters away from receiver, attached to hip with body in the way of both devices: touch the transmitter with arm or hand and signal drops!

You're comparing G3 to this is not a fair comparison - G3 even with how old it is - is on a completely different signal path than these little boxes. They are just wifi and on already congested frequencies.

It wont be your body that affects it only - but more the fact that theres usually a tonne of WIFI interference everywhere and it's most likely that crashing out your TX
1-26 06:02
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

susanb Posted at 1-25 00:40
it's very disappointing that they say it has 250m audio transmission and omnidirectional recording so long as you don't turn sideways or so long as you have a clear path to the receiver.  who invented this?  I bought it to go to india for vlogging.  There will be people everywhere.  Can I expect it to lose connection every time someone gets between the camera and the 2nd mic?  Useless.  Please update fast guys!

Who invented it? Same person who invented Wifi.

You need range - then look at radio mics that aren't on the crowded WIFI frequencies
1-26 06:03
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

patrickleidgens Posted at 1-24 08:18

you need to use proper mics - look at Sennheiser AVX or their new EW-DP

They are solid, like absolutely rock solid and you wont get into bother with range or dropout at the distances you're using them at in your post.
1-26 06:04
Use props
patrickleidgens
lvl.2
Belgium

Satureyes Posted at 1-26 06:02
You're comparing G3 to this is not a fair comparison - G3 even with how old it is - is on a completely different signal path than these little boxes. They are just wifi and on already congested frequencies.

It wont be your body that affects it only - but more the fact that theres usually a tonne of WIFI interference everywhere and it's most likely that crashing out your TX

It is my right and exactly my point to compare an old G3 to DJI Mic 2 on the transmission aspect.

I know and I do not care G3 uses UHF and DJI 2.4

G3 is very resilient to obstacles. DJI mic is quite a joke in that aspect.
1-26 23:40
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

patrickleidgens Posted at 1-26 23:40
It is my right and exactly my point to compare an old G3 to DJI Mic 2 on the transmission aspect.

I know and I do not care G3 uses UHF and DJI 2.4

I am not sure if you are trolling now but the fact is that G3 uses a different system which can travel through objects better than the system DJI uses. It's literally physics.

It's like saying you are upset that a one litre jug doesn't hold the same as a 2 litre jug. They're both jugs - yes  - but they are different.

UHF will ALWAYS be better than crowded wifi frequencies. AVX uses the same bandwidth as DECT phones - not crowded but clearer and likely better.

You're right - DJI mics are poor TX, so are RODE, and so are others using the same system. You're not comparing like for like and you cannot argue it should be a fair comparison because it's a completely different product.

My main argument would be that DJI label these as 'pro level audio' which they clearly aren't (unless you have a very low quality threshold as to what is 'pro' audio.)
So. use your G3 if you want range. They are still good for this. If you want to do vlogs and stand 5m in front of the camera with nothing in the way then i'm sure the DJI mics would be fine.

You're trying to bang a square peg into a round hole. Just use a round peg!
1-30 08:23
Use props
patrickleidgens
lvl.2
Belgium

Satureyes Posted at 1-30 08:23
I am not sure if you are trolling now but the fact is that G3 uses a different system which can travel through objects better than the system DJI uses. It's literally physics.

It's like saying you are upset that a one litre jug doesn't hold the same as a 2 litre jug. They're both jugs - yes  - but they are different.

I. compare. two. systems. regarding. transmission. reliability.
I am a TV cameraman for 20 years, I am not looking for explanations in that wireless microphones matter.

I do not say anything more than my 10 years old G3 deals very well with obstacles. Dji mic 2 does not.

2-4 08:29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules