10% forced landing: How to Disable or Cancel in -progress..
12Next >
10149 51 2022-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
v01d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1047100 ft
Australia

Can one change the 10% battery threshold number for forced landing..?   Or can You cancel the thing while in progress..? I cannot find any, and what seems like a touch icon on the rhs is disabled or not working.

2022-8-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

No, you cannot change it, and it is wise to leave it alone. If the battery dies completely, your drone will drop like a rock and be destroyed. The forced landing is designed to get it down safely and intact.
2022-8-9
Use props
v01d
lvl.3
Australia

Geebax Posted at 8-9 18:45
No, you cannot change it, and it is wise to leave it alone. If the battery dies completely, your drone will drop like a rock and be destroyed. The forced landing is designed to get it down safely and intact.

Ye, but  if you are above water / lake, and far from the shore, I would  much rather it keep going untill it drops dead. It may drop dead just close enough for me to come and get it, rather than where  I won't be able to reach it.

Unless my memory is wrong, but I remember on the old DJI Go  app I could set Critial & Low battery warnings, and Disable Smart Return to Home, which would disable that "..battery level only enough.." feature.  I used it  more than once on old Mavic Pro, that's for sure.
2022-8-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In addition to Geebax's post.......and from the manual. "The aircraft will land automatically if the current battery level can only support the aircraft long enough to descend from its current altitude. Auto landing cannot be canceled but the remote controller can be used to alter the direction of the aircraft during the landing process."

Whilst such a landing mode cannot be cancelled you would probably find that lots of throttle will, for a while, keep the drone in the air. People have done this when caught short over water etc. but the drone's ability to fly horizontally is reduced and, from memory the speed possibly decreases as the battery charge declines.
It is not something intended for every day use but this has, occasionally, got a drone over land rather than the flight ending in the water.
2022-8-9
Use props
v01d
lvl.3
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-9 19:27
In addition to Geebax's post.......and from the manual. "The aircraft will land automatically if the current battery level can only support the aircraft long enough to descend from its current altitude. Auto landing cannot be canceled but the remote controller can be used to alter the direction of the aircraft during the landing process."

Whilst such a landing mode cannot be cancelled you would probably find that lots of throttle will, for a while, keep the drone in the air. People have done this when caught short over water etc. but the drone's ability to fly horizontally is reduced and, from memory the speed possibly decreases as the battery charge declines.

Yea,  tested, I can ,  _seems_ force it flying forward  , just need to fight it.
2022-8-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately, we cannot disable this feature as this was designed as a safety feature during the low battery. In addition, you may refer to Sean in post #4 about the remote controller that can be used to alter the direction of the aircraft during the landing process and it can be found on page 15 of the DJI Air 2s manual. Please refer to the link below for your reference. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries. Thank you.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... Manual_v1.0_en1.pdf
2022-8-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you're intent on continually exceeding the margin for error it's likely to end in tears sooner or later.
2022-8-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

courtesy of google translate

This is how you say the drone does not fall like a stone, when the battery reaches 0% you can still fly more than 150 meters depending on the drone model. Regards

2022-8-10
Use props
v01d
lvl.3
Australia

Ramon Posted at 8-10 14:11
Es así cómo dices el dron no se cae como una piedra,cuando la batería marca 0% todavía puedes volar más de 150metros según modelo de dron.saludos

Oh really?

nice to know this at the back of your head, in case you sh$g youself while drone is trying to make it to the shore ..
2022-8-10
Use props
Puma54
lvl.1
Belize

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-9 19:27
In addition to Geebax's post.......and from the manual. "The aircraft will land automatically if the current battery level can only support the aircraft long enough to descend from its current altitude. Auto landing cannot be canceled but the remote controller can be used to alter the direction of the aircraft during the landing process."

"The aircraft will land automatically if the current battery level can only support the aircraft long enough to descend from its current altitude." This is not really true. I have a large park next to my house. I often used to fly there with my mini SE and I could cancel the forced landing on that. I often used to make it back quite easily with 22%. Now recently I was flying there with mini 3 Pro, same distance away and had to find a good landing spot  in a hurry. The drone started landing and I lost connection. 7-10minutes later I arrive to find my drone hovering 2 feet above the ground.  I don't mind this feature but just glad I could find a spot between the trees to set it down.  Gave me a good scare. When I encounter the forced landing again I will see how much I can still control it. Need to know what to prepare myself for if I dont heed the warnings and run low on juice.
2022-8-19
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Give this a watch. I wouldn't do this very often, but it might help in future.
2022-8-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think the you tuber in the video of post 14 was exceptionally lucky to get their drone back. From memory of some of the logs I have seen and some experiments I have made, there is significant degradation to maximum speeds once the battery gets really low. Though I must admit I was only experimenting with very short periods of full horizontal stick as the drone was always over the landing point when I performed these experiments.
2022-8-20
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-20 07:41
I think the you tuber in the video of post 14 was exceptionally lucky to get their drone back. From memory of some of the logs I have seen and some experiments I have made, there is significant degradation to maximum speeds once the battery gets really low. Though I must admit I was only experimenting with very short periods of full horizontal stick as the drone was always over the landing point when I performed these experiments.

Yes the speed does decrease. The point is that the battery lasts a lot longer than the display indicates. I would not recommend doing this. The best policy is when the drones says RTH, then RTH! But as a matter of confidence and to diminish panic, this knowledge can help.
2022-8-20
Use props
OneSnark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 652231 ft
United States

Very cool video.

I would not be recording video in this situation (as a battery conservation measure)
(and if the craft fell into the ocean. . . .I doubt he would have recovered the SD card. . . maybe uploaded the cache file on the phone?_)
Probably missing something.
2022-8-20
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

OneSnark Posted at 8-20 08:21
Very cool video.

I would not be recording video in this situation (as a battery conservation measure)

This was screen recording
2022-8-20
Use props
djiuser_PnuHPTVylpds
New

Pakistan

But i don't like it because it jus starts landing right where it is and because of that i jus drop-down my copter today
2022-11-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_PnuHPTVylpds Posted at 11-16 06:33
But i don't like it because it jus starts landing right where it is and because of that i jus drop-down my copter today

Hi,

How many times have you not reached a petrol station to fill up your car ??

Same for flying a drone, fly your flight in such way that you are back on HomePoint between 25 and 30% battery juice.....this way you will never experience a critical battery autolanding!

Drive a car is simple, flying a drone not that simple.
cheers
JJB
2022-11-16
Use props
djiuser_IxbZyNMTYLkg
New

United Kingdom

The feature caused me to lose my drone , would have made it back w/o it
2023-2-7
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

djiuser_IxbZyNMTYLkg Posted at 2-7 11:32

Not really, you ignoring the earlier warnings caused it. When you get the "low battery rth" warning, it's time to come home.
2023-2-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_IxbZyNMTYLkg Posted at 2-7 11:32

Have you actually read the thread and in particular looked at the video in post #14?
Did you give it up-throttle to keep it in the air?
Are you aware that once the drone is in the forced landing phase, then, at some point, horizontal speeds will be significantly reduced.
It was your flying the battery to exhaustion and probably cancelling the low battery RTH and ignoring other warnings that cost you your drone.

Just for reference you could post the flight logs.
See https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ for instructions on how to do that
2023-2-7
Use props
PixelPro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

I wouldn't change that.
2023-2-7
Use props
PixelPro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 2022-8-19 12:00
Give this a watch. I wouldn't do this very often, but it might help in future.
https://youtu.be/Bre7z5oT-Sg

Wow. that's quite rare
2023-2-7
Use props
Puma54
lvl.1
Belize

I have experimented with my mini 3 pro a good bit. The drone calculates when you should return to home with a little juice left (at least the 10%). If you choose to cancel you can keep flying until 10% when it will give you a 10second countdown and  force you down. However you can still control it, it is in a sort of limp mode. If you push up completely it will slowly climb and you can fly in any direction still just slowly. If you let it do its decent It will not actually land it will hover about 3ft off the ground. It can hover like this for more than 10min. I don't know if it ever lands the extra 3ft on its own. Or if it waits to completely run out of juice theoretically if you can get closer to it and reestablish connection you should be able to force it up and continue to limp home. However eventually the battery will likely run so low that the drone will fall out of the air or DJI may have built in another failsafe forcing it down. However this final failsafe it seems would be well below 0% based on that video over the ocean. Educate yourself on this cause it can cost you if you choose to ignore the initial low battery warning. If all users had this knowledge it is likely several drones would have already been saved.
2023-3-15
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You should never ever be pushing your battery as low as 10 % on any drone... To be honest I never go below 30% at the very least
2023-3-16
Use props
djiuser_cgisCcC778OP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10143143 ft
Serbia

For 3 years of flying on air2, air2s and fpv, the moment has finally come to fall and crash with air2s because of forced landing activated on 3100m above ground when battery was 55%. There was 2 beep in controller 1 sec after i cancel rth.  Descend speed was locked at 3m/s and runs out of battery on 180m above ground and fall. Air2S is only one that can not disable forced landing in parameters, and nobody from dji will not say how to disable it. WHY?
2023-4-29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_cgisCcC778OP Posted at 4-29 16:45
For 3 years of flying on air2, air2s and fpv, the moment has finally come to fall and crash with air2s because of forced landing activated on 3100m above ground when battery was 55%. There was 2 beep in controller 1 sec after i cancel rth.  Descend speed was locked at 3m/s and runs out of battery on 180m above ground and fall. Air2S is only one that can not disable forced landing in parameters, and nobody from dji will not say how to disable it. WHY?

Just curious is that post a joke?
2023-4-29
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23325935 ft
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-29 20:12
Just curious did you try closing the throttle to increase the descent speed?

Ha... Well, that was blunt but probably accurate.
Edit: Aww... you changed it...
2023-4-29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

blue_canyon21 Posted at 4-29 20:20
Ha... Well, that was blunt but probably accurate.
Edit: Aww... you changed it...

Yep, political correctness and all that stuff lol.  I'd love to see the flight log for the flight though, lol.
2023-4-29
Use props
djiuser_cgisCcC778OP
lvl.2
Serbia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-29 20:22
Yep, political correctness and all that stuff lol.  I'd love to see the flight log for the flight though, lol.

https://app.airdata.com/flight/14bb6fe46a66e5c260b446970b69e94c
2023-4-30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_cgisCcC778OP Posted at 4-29 16:45
For 3 years of flying on air2, air2s and fpv, the moment has finally come to fall and crash with air2s because of forced landing activated on 3100m above ground when battery was 55%. There was 2 beep in controller 1 sec after i cancel rth.  Descend speed was locked at 3m/s and runs out of battery on 180m above ground and fall. Air2S is only one that can not disable forced landing in parameters, and nobody from dji will not say how to disable it. WHY?

Amazing !  do you have a video flying that high?  must be great view !!
2023-4-30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi

Had a look at your flight.

At 8m12s in flight, flying at 2604 meter height and 1061m away from HomePoint the automatic countdown for RTH was initiated.
Why ?  FlyApp calculates time to return to HP and land there safely with some juice left in the battery.
This at 53% of battery level.

Countdown was cancelled.

Between 8m15 (53%) and 9m17 (49%) you lost some battery juice, not moving from postion. (best was to fly to home !)
This 4% was needed end of your flight.
For this  check the black distance line.

At 16m12s, height 1345m, distance out 489m, 26% battery ;   an automatic forced landing due to critical battery level, just enough juice now to land safely.
But with your forward RC input drones uses more battery than just landing.
So in the end at 0% battery still flying at some height....

The RTH calculation is seen on the FlyApp screen, see these 4 pictures of my MINI2 flight.
1 = Flying at 120 meter height and 350m away from HP; green part of the circle is decreasing, amber part gets bigger.
2,3= green away = countdown for RTH at this % battery level
4= while flying towards home   green part is back again....this in normal, if green does not come back....oops  hope there is enough battery to land safely.

PS green circle part is in FRAP the RTH% blue line

cheers
JJB    [ Charts by FRAP ; the 'best' software for flightlog analysis ]

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
MINI2test1.png
MINI2test2.png
MINI2test3.png
MINI2test4.png
2023-4-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* if you uploaded the log to Phantomhelp do you have the URL ?  I am getting an error when I try to upload the .txt.
2023-4-30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-30 07:52
JJB* if you uploaded the log to Phantomhelp do you have the URL ?  I am getting an error when I try to upload the .txt.

sorry   no url    i never save url`s
2023-4-30
Use props
djiuser_cgisCcC778OP
lvl.2
Serbia

When I planning to go in high altitude, I always climb with wind direction to save energy. I always look at the lower left corner in dji fly app so that the aircraft is as if it were on a flat surface. That afternoon the wind was from 340 degrees about 30 km/h above 1200m and descend was vertically for first 600m and than smoothly about 10 km/h with return to starting point because of weakening of the wind at lower altitudes, even if there is no wind I recommend a slight forward motion due to less energy being used to level the aircraft flat when descending, but in this situation 3 m/s descent in any condition is battery killer.

https://youtu.be/zXag-mOzD3E
2023-4-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 4-30 13:15
sorry   no url    i never save url`s

Hi JJB* Ahh its working now, thanks.
2023-4-30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_cgisCcC778OP Posted at 4-30 13:43
When I planning to go in high altitude, I always climb with wind direction to save energy. I always look at the lower left corner in dji fly app so that the aircraft is as if it were on a flat surface. That afternoon the wind was from 340 degrees about 30 km/h above 1200m and descend was vertically for first 600m and than smoothly about 10 km/h with return to starting point because of weakening of the wind at lower altitudes, even if there is no wind I recommend a slight forward motion due to less energy being used to level the aircraft flat when descending, but in this situation 3 m/s descent in any condition is battery killer.

https://youtu.be/zXag-mOzD3E

Nice clouds!

did you read post #36

3 m/s descending speed is not a battery killer, waiting and loosing 4% of battery life at the end was a killer to your drone.

cheers
JJB
2023-4-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Whilst I think flying to that height was beyond stupid I have to ask, why, with the throttle fully closed, did the drone descend at ONLY 3m/s ?
The manual ( versions 1.0 and 1.2 ) and the specs webpage
https://www.dji.com/uk/air-2s/specs
state
"
Max Descent Speed 6 m/s (S Mode)
                                    6 m/s (N Mode)"
That is published in versions 1.0 and 1.2 of the manual.

The fastest speeds where around 11m/s so the drone was not in cine mode.
If the quoted descent speeds have been incorrectly publish and it is ONLY teh sports mode that has a descent speed of 6m/s I am a bit puzzled as to why you did not switch to sports made to get a higher descent speed.

Post #40 implies that you are no stranger to high flights which also means that you are aware it takes a long time to get down from height. If 3m/s is the normal descent rate of previous high flights I would have thought that you could have estimated how long the descent would take to get down, I assume you work and fly in metric, 8657.8ft = 2638.9m, @3m/s that is, I think, 14min 40sec of descent time and it took you around 8 &1/2 minutes to get up there.

If, with the Air 2s, you previously have had faster descent rates than 3m/s then why didnt you do what ever it was that gave you those faster descent rates?

I believe the drone has, or should have had, around 20 days warranty left and if those quotations are correct then I would have thought there was an argument that this might be considered a warranty issue......BUT, to break the 500m ceiling, I would guess the drones's firmware has been messed with which will probably invalidate the warranty.
2023-5-1
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-1 12:28
Whilst I think flying to that height was beyond stupid I have to ask, why, with the throttle fully closed, did the drone descend at ONLY 3m/s ?
The manual ( versions 1.0 and 1.2 ) and the specs webpage
https://www.dji.com/uk/air-2s/specs

I may have the answer. When the battery gets that low, the performance is decreased quite a bit to conserve what battery charge remains.
2023-5-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

THe battery was not 'low' at the start of the descent

Besides, would it make sense for that to reduce the descent rate?
It's a pity we can not get a readable DAT.
It would be interesting to see if and how motor speed varies with commanded descent rate, I can not figure out how it should vary because.
Thinking of what one weighs when travelling in a lift and ignoring drag, if the thrust from the props is less than the drone's weight then the drone should accelerate downwards which suggests to me that the descent rpm must be close to hover rpm.
So maybe drag does figure in the control calculations etc.
I may experiment with this with a Mavic 2.
2023-5-1
Use props
skawzy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 343766 ft
Serbia

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-7 11:38
Not really, you ignoring the earlier warnings caused it. When you get the "low battery rth" warning, it's time to come home.

This can be a little problem for the people who use for example DJI Mini 2 (speaking from my example).

With DJI Mini 2 you can fly almost with less than 5% but the warning sound on the controller is present when it reaches 20% and you can hear it until you land.

New Air 2s users will almost think that is the same with Air 2s and will keep the drone in flight without knowing what will happen when the drone reaches 10%. I was lucky because my Air 2s was a 1m in front of me.

But now I know what will happen when it reaches 10% and I'm ready to act before it reaches 10%

2023-5-1
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules