Need help, Smart Controller won't switch off!
2491 33 2022-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Flying one of my Mini 2s, everything normal until SC screen went blank. Just black screen, nothing else. Fortunately the Mini 2 came home and hovered 5ft off the ground allowing me to grasp it and hold it until motors stopped. It fought against me holding it for about half a minute and then motors stopped.Switched the Mini 2 off and then tried to switch off SC. No joy! Smart Controller will NOT power down. Any ideas anyone? to overcome this problem!

2022-8-10
Use props
Marty Markoe
First Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try connecting to AC to charge
2022-8-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the trouble. Could you please try to charge your DJI Smart Controller for approximately 2-3 hours then check if you can now turn it on? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2022-8-10
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I'll try that but I don't hold out much hope. I still have the Green light and 4 White lights on. The fan comes on from time to time and the screen is Hot. Not too hot to touch but you can see that the display background is lit but nothing showing. I think the SC is 'goosed' but who knows. You would have thought that the power would have run down after a while but all lights were still showing powered up.
2022-8-10
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-10 03:42
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the trouble. Could you please try to charge your DJI Smart Controller for approximately 2-3 hours then check if you can now turn it on? Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Hi there Paladin. I will try that but the problem is that it won't switch off.
Maybe I have found a permanent power source eh!
Tried connecting my 2 Mini 2s to their respective controllers and they don't want to connect either. Could it be the SC is somehow affecting them??????
I hope it is not going to be one of them days! I know how to pair them so I won't need the Pairing Video(s).
2022-8-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just incase it happens again,  If you grab the mini2 and flip it upside it will kill the props.     As per the controller seems like you need it to run out of battery and then charge it if you can't get it to turn off.     I assume a single press of the power button isn't turning the screen on and off?  
2022-8-10
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-10 04:01
Just incase it happens again,  If you grab the mini2 and flip it upside it will kill the props.     As per the controller seems like you need it to run out of battery and then charge it if you can't get it to turn off.     I assume a single press of the power button isn't turning the screen on and off?

Hi DA! Yeah, I forgot about flipping it over. In actual fact I think I might have turned it over whilst holding it by the landing gear attached to switch it off. I did leave the SC running to see if the lights would go out in sequence in discharging but they remained steady 'all on'. I will try DJI Paladin's advice first. Mind you I have plugged it into the AC (Mains) outside incase the battery goes on fire. I'll update you on any progress.
2022-8-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 8-10 04:21
Hi DA! Yeah, I forgot about flipping it over. In actual fact I think I might have turned it over whilst holding it by the landing gear attached to switch it off. I did leave the SC running to see if the lights would go out in sequence in discharging but they remained steady 'all on'. I will try DJI Paladin's advice first. Mind you I have plugged it into the AC (Mains) outside incase the battery goes on fire. I'll update you on any progress.

Make sure its in the shade,  assume your having the same heat wave we have done here.  
2022-8-10
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-10 04:29
Make sure its in the shade,  assume your having the same heat wave we have done here.

Yeah, it's in the shade round back of house. Although in Glasgow here I think we only have about 24c temperatures. I'm just going to try and connect my 2 Mini 2s again to their respective controllers to see if they are ok.
2022-8-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 8-10 04:40
Yeah, it's in the shade round back of house. Although in Glasgow here I think we only have about 24c temperatures. I'm just going to try and connect my 2 Mini 2s again to their respective controllers to see if they are ok.

27c here at the moment.
2022-8-10
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-10 04:40
27c here at the moment.

Yes, if we could guarantee, say 4weeks of this weather every year there would be no need for foreign holidays. We might just get better summers if this Global warming is correct. Tell me that when I'm sitting freezing up here in January. LOL.
Just tried connecting my Minis no joy! What is going on?????
Think I might have to leave things or start from scratch and go over everything again.
ie, discharge all batts, discharge all controllers, re-install all DJI apps as I said, start from scratch.
(Or give up altogether). Anybody want to buy some equipment?
2022-8-10
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Just tried my M2P with another controller that I bought as a backup to the SC and YES it is working OK. At least that is 1 drone that is working fine.
Will keep trying with others.
2022-8-10
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Both Mini 2s now pairing up ok with respective controllers. SC lights have eventually gone out and controller now cooled down. Will try and charge SC to see what's what.
2022-8-10
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Update. SC charging ok now. Will not charge to 100% before trying it out again. I will not have total confidence in it now until I have a few good flights under my belt.
2022-8-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 8-10 09:42
Update. SC charging ok now. Will not charge to 100% before trying it out again. I will not have total confidence in it now until I have a few good flights under my belt.

So the trick was to let the controller run out of battery,  then charge and it powers on OK again?
2022-8-10
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Yep, that's exactly what I did DA. I waited until all lights were out and that the screen had totally cooled down before attempting a recharge. Using the DJI charger I charged it for about 15-20 minutes, removed charger switched it on had 1 led solid and the SC powered up with normal 'GO FLY' displays. Stuck it on charge again until the 4th led started flashing then removed charger. I don't think I will be charging it fully again to 100%. I don't normally fly long distances or lengths of time so I won't need a fully charged SC.
Really funny though why my 2 Mini 2s wouldn't pair to their respective RCs whilst this was going on. Strange coincidence? Mind you, I did reinstall Fly app again on my mobile device but that shouldn't have stopped the drones from pairing. Confused? I was.
2022-8-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 8-10 23:48
Yep, that's exactly what I did DA. I waited until all lights were out and that the screen had totally cooled down before attempting a recharge. Using the DJI charger I charged it for about 15-20 minutes, removed charger switched it on had 1 led solid and the SC powered up with normal 'GO FLY' displays. Stuck it on charge again until the 4th led started flashing then removed charger. I don't think I will be charging it fully again to 100%. I don't normally fly long distances or lengths of time so I won't need a fully charged SC.
Really funny though why my 2 Mini 2s wouldn't pair to their respective RCs whilst this was going on. Strange coincidence? Mind you, I did reinstall Fly app again on my mobile device but that shouldn't have stopped the drones from pairing. Confused? I was.

At least its sorted and not a paper weight.  
2022-8-11
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-11 04:34
At least its sorted and not a paper weight.

Yes, I'm glad it is working ok again as I recently saw a price of one on a web site at over a 'grand'.
2022-8-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 8-15 03:51
Yes, I'm glad it is working ok again as I recently saw a price of one on a web site at over a 'grand'.

Over a grand, blimey.   
2022-8-15
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

UPDATE! Flew my M2P this afternoon with the SC. No issues encountered. Bystander came up to me and said "That's some range you have on that thing"! I was still in VLOS!
2022-8-17
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

**Notice Paladin and others**  I updated my RM500 Smart Controller today with update 08/25/2022 DJI+Asststant+2( Consumer+Drones+Series)+2.1.1.1 this (08/26/2022)
morning.  It upgraded the SC Firmware 01.01.0064.  After it completed, I linked with my Mini2 and Mavic Air2, then tried to turn off the controller - IT WOULD NOT TURN OFF!  I reconnected the SC to a computer, ran
DJI Assistant2 for Mavic, it said that the SC needed an update of firmware 01.01.0064, so I did that, after it was finished the controller is now turning off once again.  
Thank you Paladin for your help the other day, and having me use DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic, it saved the situation in both cases.
     Almost forgot, when the Smart Controller would not turn off, while I was pushing the buttons to turn it off, there was a loud buzzing noise, all the time I would hold the button down.
2022-8-26
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 8-26 10:47
**Notice Paladin and others**  I updated my RM500 Smart Controller today with update 08/25/2022 DJI+Asststant+2( Consumer+Drones+Series)+2.1.1.1 this (08/26/2022)
morning.  It upgraded the SC Firmware 01.01.0064.  After it completed, I linked with my Mini2 and Mavic Air2, then tried to turn off the controller - IT WOULD NOT TURN OFF!  I reconnected the SC to a computer, ran
DJI Assistant2 for Mavic, it said that the SC needed an update of firmware 01.01.0064, so I did that, after it was finished the controller is now turning off once again.  

Bob, were you notified of an update to the SC ? You obviously read about my experience when flying my M2P. I did not receive any notification nor have I yet!
I believe my SC has been on 01.01.0064 since I got it unless there is another update but firmware keeps the same number. (Sort of like Dji updated the fly app but kept the same version number but only changed Official number).
I flew 2 Batts worth of my M2P this morning with my SC and everything went well. I still won't charge the SC 100% yet but prefer to charge it around the 90% mark.
Thanks for the information.
John
2022-8-27
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

yogi053 Posted at 8-27 02:51
Bob, were you notified of an update to the SC ? You obviously read about my experience when flying my M2P. I did not receive any notification nor have I yet!
I believe my SC has been on 01.01.0064 since I got it unless there is another update but firmware keeps the same number. (Sort of like Dji updated the fly app but kept the same version number but only changed Official number).
I flew 2 Batts worth of my M2P this morning with my SC and everything went well. I still won't charge the SC 100% yet but prefer to charge it around the 90% mark.

I was nosing around in the download section, and saw the listing for the new Consumer Series 2.1.1.1.  I had not seen any notice about it anywhere.  However now, on the SC for both Mavic Air2 and Mini2 I have been getting alerts that the new software is available, and if I wanted to update - I check "Not Now."  They have to clean it up a lot to get me back as a believer.  Yes I read your post, and figured the two may be related?
2022-8-27
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Cheers for that info Bob.
2022-8-28
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

yogi053 Posted at 8-28 00:28
Cheers for that info Bob.

BUT . . . I am wondering IF the update offered on the Smart Controller IS the same as Assistant2 (consumer drones) put on it that caused the SC not to turn off?  In the Smart Controller section here, it still list Assistant for Mavic as the software to use. , Me - confused - never
2022-8-30
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I've flown my M2P again with no issues. I am still only charging the SC to approx. 80/90% though. If I have any issues in the future I'll be sure to drop you a line.
2022-8-30
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

yogi053 Posted at 8-30 09:00
I've flown my M2P again with no issues. I am still only charging the SC to approx. 80/90% though. If I have any issues in the future I'll be sure to drop you a line.

Well . . . I fired up the Mavic Air2 and Smart Controller, and when the little window about the update, with Goggles and other stuff on it came up I decided to take a chance, and tapped to update.  It started okay and after about 2 to 3 minutes it came up with "error in download package," and stopped.  Checked SC and craft relations - all is still okay.  Maybe IF it comes up again in a few days I'll give it another try?
2022-8-30
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Is it for the SC or the Mavic Air 2 though? I don't get any notices to update! Think I'll leave mine be until I'm forced to update.
2022-8-30
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

yogi053 Posted at 8-30 09:52
Is it for the SC or the Mavic Air 2 though? I don't get any notices to update! Think I'll leave mine be until I'm forced to update.

Well. . . when the notice came up I was petting a cat, and just tapped to update.  I'll check if it shows again.  
Cat likes to watch drone.
2022-8-30
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

yogi053 Posted at 8-30 09:52

I was linked to the Mavic Air2 when the notice popped up, and I tapped to update.  iT WENT QUICKLY, MAYBE 3 - 4 minutes.  It was firmware update for the Mavic Air2, I tested all  the regular flying funtioons, yaw, turns, etc.  All worked nicely.  Then I linked the Mini2 to the Smart Controller in place of the MA2.   The update notice came up again, I tapped to update, a gong sounded, and it said it was updating in the background, but after maybe a minute, it stopped and said there was an error.  I think it is a firmware update for each craft to update to the added things like Avata etc.
2022-8-31
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Flown a couple of times with my SC and M2P and had no requests to update. I reckon I'll leave it that way and just use the dedicated controllers for my Mini 2. Singular now as one of mine resides in very large pine tree on the edge of Loch Lomond. Oh well!..........
2022-9-1
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

yogi053 Posted at 9-1 01:39
Flown a couple of times with my SC and M2P and had no requests to update. I reckon I'll leave it that way and just use the dedicated controllers for my Mini 2. Singular now as one of mine resides in very large pine tree on the edge of Loch Lomond. Oh well!..........

Those Pine Trees, don't like to let go of anything they capture.  Is it visible to you from the ground?  Perhaps you can use one drone to help get the captive.  When my little-fella was part of a 50 foot Palm Tree, I was thinking of all different ways to snag it with loops hanging from the MA2.  I got lucky and the Tree Trimmers got it for me.
2022-9-1
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 9-1 08:04
Those Pine Trees, don't like to let go of anything they capture.  Is it visible to you from the ground?  Perhaps you can use one drone to help get the captive.  When my little-fella was part of a 50 foot Palm Tree, I was thinking of all different ways to snag it with loops hanging from the MA2.  I got lucky and the Tree Trimmers got it for me.

Tried that Bob. Used my M2P to try and spot it from the air. No joy. Could just hear it beeping on find my drone but water lapping at the edge of the loch stopped from pinpointing where it actually was. I probably will go back to search again before my care refresh runs out but there are so many tourists there that parking is forbidden for about 12 miles on the approach road and indeed the authorities have closed some roads to limit tourists arriving to that particular area. I will go when it is wet and windy to see if it has fallen out of the tree. Maybe I will get lucky and somebody will contact me if they find it first. As usual my contact details are on the Mini2 along with reward offerred.
2022-9-1
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

yogi053 Posted at 9-1 08:25
Tried that Bob. Used my M2P to try and spot it from the air. No joy. Could just hear it beeping on find my drone but water lapping at the edge of the loch stopped from pinpointing where it actually was. I probably will go back to search again before my care refresh runs out but there are so many tourists there that parking is forbidden for about 12 miles on the approach road and indeed the authorities have closed some roads to limit tourists arriving to that particular area. I will go when it is wet and windy to see if it has fallen out of the tree. Maybe I will get lucky and somebody will contact me if they find it first. As usual my contact details are on the Mini2 along with reward offerred.

Sounds more like the area where my Mini2 and Palm Tree came together, it was at Santa Anita Race Track (Horses).  IF you can find anyone that takes care of the area, you might notify them.  Best of luck, IF it holds up as well as mine after a heavy rain storm and 11 24 hour days - hot and cold - all it had was a smudge.  I rather like that "Find my drone" feature, was only about 6 to 10 feet off for mine.  Shame you could not catch a glimpse with the other drone.
2022-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules