Mini 3 Pro not as heat resistent as expected.
2620 19 2022-8-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

I just found this.
Good luck with the new one Ian.

2022-8-12
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 233064 ft
United Kingdom

Have you got care refresh?
2022-8-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Perhaps a small clip-on, bottom mounted, wireless thermometer and recieving unit is called for for such flights?
2022-8-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I won't be overflying any volcanos so I should be OK
2022-8-12
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
Iceland

Thanks all; yep, sadly the old Mini 3 Pro is a melted souvenir.  It's entire underside was badly melted with the battery fused into the main body.  I was able to retrieve the micro SD card but it's unable to focus at all.  
I'm thinking I completely underestimated distances from the lava as last year's crater was huge, whilst this year's is still very small, but of course I flew down to fill the screen with the crater, meaning I was way lower and closer to the lava than I was last year.  
Live and learn; I bought a new one from DJI Reykjavik and it's working beautifully.  
Back up there again tomorrow

Ian
2022-8-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ian in London Posted at 8-12 14:14
Thanks all; yep, sadly the old Mini 3 Pro is a melted souvenir.  It's entire underside was badly melted with the battery fused into the main body.  I was able to retrieve the micro SD card but it's unable to focus at all.  
I'm thinking I completely underestimated distances from the lava as last year's crater was huge, whilst this year's is still very small, but of course I few down to fill the screen with the crater, meaning I was way lower and closer to the lava than I was last year.  
Live and learn; I bought a new one from DJI Reykjavik and it's working beautifully.  

Just remember this time around Ian to keep the new Mini 3 a bit higher and less closer to the lava this time around.  

You aren't the only one to have melted their drone over that location as I've seen at least several other YouTubers and comments on Reddit about same situation.

2022-8-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Yikes, not good for Ian.  Thanks for sharing this video.  Just another great reminder to us that our drones are far from indestructible.  
2022-8-12
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
Iceland

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-12 14:24
Just remember this time around Ian to keep the new Mini 3 a bit higher and less closer to the lava this time around.  

You aren't the only one to have melted their drone over that location as I've seen at least several other YouTubers and comments on Reddit about same situation.

Yep; flying way higher tomorrow.  As said, all taken on the chin; these things happen and it's only my own fault.   Still having a great trip.....
2022-8-12
Use props
FL_Flyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810594 ft
United States

I'm thinking I completely underestimated distances from the lava as last year's crater was huge, whilst this year's is still very small, but of course I flew down to fill the screen with the crater, meaning I was way lower and closer to the lava than I was last year.  
Live and learn; I bought a new one from DJI Reykjavik and it's working beautifully.  

Sorry to hear of the melt-down. I commented about safety while I watched it flying thru the haze.  I was surprised the craft didn’t melt from the sulphur dioxide and other very acidic gases being emitted, to say nothing of the extreme heat.  Be careful.
2022-8-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Damn, this is one of those times i would have been happy with 1080 and used the zoom lol Evidently no Care Refresh as you say you bought a new one, damn, a shame, especially in today's climate, i bet you buy it this time lol
2022-8-12
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Mini 3, it's so hot right now.
2022-8-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there MySky. Good day and thank you for sharing this video that you have came upon. Just a reminder that the recommended Operating Temperature Range of the DJI Mini 3 Pro is at -10° to 40° C ( 14° to 104° F ) to avoid any unwanted incident when flying. In addition, I will post a DJI tutorial video on Flying in Hot and Cold Weather. Thank you and fly safe always.

2022-8-12
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Oh Ian that was a very sad sight to see the underside of that Mini 3 Pro and a testament to the incredible power and energy of nature.  I guess hot air rises and the air is probably like a hot air fryer directly above the lava. I think there is a youtube video from last year's eruption of some birds frying up as even they couldn't fly high enough to escape the immense heat. If any volcanic action pops up in New Zealand I consider myself forewarned so thanks for taking one for the team    
2022-8-12
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Use the big red Autel brick if that melts I bet you wouldn’t care
2022-8-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

He did get pretty close.  
2022-8-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Ian in London Posted at 8-12 15:19
Yep; flying way higher tomorrow.  As said, all taken on the chin; these things happen and it's only my own fault.   Still having a great trip.....

At least you are still having a great trip.  Hope the rest of your trip goes exceptionally well.  
2022-8-13
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

How sad !
My regrets. RiP little mini.

2022-8-16
Use props
KS-6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112559 ft
  • >>>
United States

Live and learn; I bought a new one from DJI Reykjavik and it's working beautifully.  

Interesting in how since you could not get the battery out, sent it on basically a "Viking Funeral" final flight. Volcanos are no joke...
2022-8-16
Use props
Joe.Mavic.D.HH
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8230085 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Actually not hot, uprising air is the problem, but the sheer infrared radiation from the molten lava would heat up any material in any radial direction. So even coming sideways would have caused the problems as long as the lava being visible. Glad you got it back at least as a friendly reminder that mother earth still is the boss!
2022-8-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nooooooo.
That is not too nice!
2022-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules