DJI Mic iPhone Lightning Stereo Recording Workaround?
5694 17 2022-8-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
charisjapan
lvl.2
Canada

Hey all!

Newb here, only my second post, but I NEED some answers ...

I just got the DJI Mic, and must admit the wireless part is great for my application, which is to record our church services.  During the praise/worship time, it's great to have my iPhone 11 in the back of the meeting room, but at least one mic up front to capture the sound of the band AND the voices of the congregation singing. During the sermon, the preacher's voice is so clear, because the mic is right there.  Here comes the issue ... our church is in Japan, and the sermon is in Japanese, but we have a good number of folks the speak English, so there is simultaneous translation in the back.  For the folks live, they just gather around the translator and all is good.  But with this crazy Pandemic, we also have some folks staying at home and I post online.  I assumed a two-channel mic system that comes with a Lightning adapter, USB-C adapter, and 3.5mm jack would (of course) record on my iPhone in stereo, so I could separate the channels later and post one sermon video in native Japanese, and another video using the translator's mic in English.  

NOT!

So far, I've found that the iPhone 11 with Lightning port will only record in MONO.  The very unclear explanation (excuse?) is that there could be a limitation in the port configuration.  Now I find that even if I upgrade my iPhone to 13 using the much-higher-tech USB-C port, the DJI Mic will still not record in stereo.  I find this incredible. Can't DJI fix this?!  

So looking around at my options, I see that the RODE Wireless GO II has available USB-C to Lightning cables (SC-15 and SC-19) that allow stereo recording into an iPhone 11.  One option is to get one of these cables and try it with the DJI Mic.  The RODE blurb says the cable is " designed to connect MFi-certified USB-C microphones to iOS devices."  ... perhaps this $20 solution will work?  Next option is the return the DJI Mic and get the RODE Wireless GO II.  I love the design features of the DJI Mic, but this limitation deprives me of one of the best potential uses with the most popular mobile devices (iPhone and iPad) on the planet.  Come on, DJI, get withe the program!  You made this great product, now finish the job.

Anyone have other workaround ideas?  I'd love to hear them ... as long as you don't tell me to get an Android or buy a camera with USB-C, lol.

cj
2022-8-12
Use props
charisjapan
lvl.2
Japan

Well, the RODE cable didn't work.  I had to get a USB-C Female-to-Female connector to use DJI's USB-C attachment, and the SC-15 USB-C to Lightning cable, but no cigar.  With the USB-C attachment on the receiver, the Stereo option becomes available, but my iPhone 11 is not getting a stereo signal.  I assume this is the case, because using the REC - Pro Video Camera app from LateNightSoft shows what microphone options are available, and while the external mic is shown, it's not in stereo, only MONO.  This same setup seems to work with the RODE Wireless GO II in stereo, so ...

I'm back to begging DJI to up their game.  Please!

Sincerely,  cj
2022-8-16
Use props
mrveronn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16093 ft
Canada

Very disappointing that stereo recording onto an iPhone is not available, ...DJI please fix.
Various threads, including this one, have been started for this discussion:
DJI MIC & IPhone: How do I get a stereo signal? |
DJI FORUMDJI Mic on an iPhone-2 channel recording? | DJI FORUM

2022-8-19
Use props
charisjapan
lvl.2
Japan

mrveronn Posted at 8-19 17:02
Very disappointing that stereo recording onto an iPhone is not available, ...DJI please fix.
Various threads, including this one, have been started for this discussion:
DJI MIC & IPhone: How do I get a stereo signal? |

@mrveronn, thank you!  I had not seen the first thread, but had seen the second.  

It's very easy to blame Apple/Lightning, but when another company has a similar product that records in stereo, that argument is blown away.  

In a way, I feel like starting TEN more threads about this! ... if it will get DJI to assign a couple smart people to fix this.

Cheers, cj
2022-8-19
Use props
charisjapan
lvl.2
Japan

Update:

No, haven't found a way to record in stereo with my DJI Mic, but did confirm that my SHURE MV88+ mic does!  

RODE and SHURE have found a way, so poke-poke to DJI ...

cj
2022-8-19
Use props
fuzzywuz
New

Denmark

Not the most elegant solution, but I got stereo recording working on my iPhone using the MeloAudio iOS adapter, USB-C female to iOS male adapter.

Many USB-C to lightning adapters do not support stereo channel sound, so finding one that did was critical. The MeloAudio adapter worked without any problems when attached to the USB-C output from the transmitter. The only issue I had was connecting the adapter to my iPhone when using a thick iPhone case. The adapter connected without any problem when using a thinner iPhone case though.

Hope this helps!

2022-9-12
Use props
charisjapan
lvl.2
Japan

fuzzywuz Posted at 9-12 04:10
Not the most elegant solution, but I got stereo recording working on my iPhone using the MeloAudio iOS adapter, USB-C female to iOS male adapter.

Many USB-C to lightning adapters do not support stereo channel sound, so finding one that did was critical. The MeloAudio adapter worked without any problems when attached to the USB-C output from the transmitter. The only issue I had was connecting the adapter to my iPhone when using a thick iPhone case. The adapter connected without any problem when using a thinner iPhone case though.

Thanks, fuzzywuz!

Will give that a try on my soon-to-arrive iPhone 14pro, and report back.

Cheers, cj
2022-9-12
Use props
charisjapan
lvl.2
Japan

Hey all,

Kudos to @fuzzywuz !!

I got a MeloAudio USB-C (female) to Lightning (male) adapter from Amazon and it worked!  Even using a 50 cm Lightning extension cable, it still worked.  This is important, as the DJI Mic receiver plus adapter makes for a potential disaster at your iPhone Lightning port. I was able to export the .MOV file to my Mac and it plays indeed in stereo.  I tried it on my iPhone with Airpods, and clear separation.  After exporting to Mac mini, all good, and even uploading to YouTube (see below)

By the way, this was with my iPhone 11 Pro, as the 14 Pro has not yet arrived in Japan.

Asking for more help, how can I easily edit the Left and Right audio signal, either on iOS or MacOS.   "Easily" is the keyword, as I have just recently moved to Apple, and need tutoring.  

Again, thanks fuzzywuz !!

2022-9-15
Use props
Prismavision
lvl.2
Sweden

Anyone tried with iPhone 13 (Pro) yet?
2022-10-8
Use props
charisjapan
lvl.2
Japan

Prismavision Posted at 10-8 12:56
Anyone tried with iPhone 13 (Pro) yet?

Just got my iPhone 14 Pro, and will test the stereo separation later today.  Next challenge (for me, at least) is to find a simple way to adjust the stereo tracks using iOS or MacOS.  So far, Quicktime and iMovie don't have stereo audio edit features.  Anybody got any ideas (that don't involve expensive software)?

Will get back to you on the 14 Pro.

cj
2022-10-8
Use props
Prismavision
lvl.2
Sweden

charisjapan Posted at 10-8 14:47
Just got my iPhone 14 Pro, and will test the stereo separation later today.  Next challenge (for me, at least) is to find a simple way to adjust the stereo tracks using iOS or MacOS.  So far, Quicktime and iMovie don't have stereo audio edit features.  Anybody got any ideas (that don't involve expensive software)?

Will get back to you on the 14 Pro.

Check out the free version of Davinci Resolve if you can extract left and right channel!
2022-10-9
Use props
Prismavision
lvl.2
Sweden

charisjapan Posted at 10-8 14:47

Will get back to you on the 14 Pro.

Tested with iPhone Pro 14 yet?
2022-10-13
Use props
charisjapan
lvl.2
Japan

Prismavision Posted at 10-13 13:34
Tested with iPhone Pro 14 yet?

Sorry 'bout that ...

Grandkids in town, devouring ALL my time ('cuz Grandma sez so) .

Using the USB-C connector and USB-C-to-Lightning adapter into my new iPhone 14 Pro did indeed give me the same Stereo separation as my old iPhone 11 Pro.

I was able to download DaVinci Resolve 18 (freeware) into my Mac, but not yet checked if it will let me tweak the stereo channels ... will update (hopefully soon).

cj

2022-10-14
Use props
Prismavision
lvl.2
Sweden

Thanks! And I just received the Meloaudio adapter myself so I can indeed confirm that it works!!! I just want to second this about this working and also made a simple video on Youtube as someone did not hear the audio clearly from the original video:
2022-10-14
Use props
Pokeydale
lvl.2
Flight distance : 208087 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does anybody know how to get this adapter?  It is not available on Amazon and I can't find it anywhere.
2023-2-1
Use props
djiuser_qaVpoMxMXTuT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48304 ft
Russia

Pokeydale Posted at 2-1 10:15
Does anybody know how to get this adapter?  It is not available on Amazon and I can't find it anywhere.

Hello!
This one works well: https://aliexpress.ru/item/1005004068940941.html
2023-2-1
Use props
djiuser_1kSh4FhBu5to
New

United States

Cannot believe this flaw in the DJI mic system. Wow. Please fix this and in the meantime, at least sell the freaking adaptor on the dji site!!!!
2023-2-6
Use props
Poshada
lvl.1

United States

Just use the independent recording function inside the individual mics! Doesn't that give you what you need?
2023-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules