disable landing protection on mavic 3 cine
6642 67 2022-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_jgmCPdRa4n76
New

United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-23 03:46
When flying from a boat......perhaps tape over the sensor?

I’m a little nervous to add to this chain but I am a new user of a Mavic 3 mini Pro which I bought to use to film my sailing adventures. The issues about landing really ring true to me as it is virtually impossible to land this drone on a yacht under sail. A hand catch landing seems to only option but whilst I can hand catch whilst stationary (with the downward stick overriding the downward sensor, this only works when the drone is geo stationary - not when it has to be moving forward to keep up with the boat. Has any solution to this been found yet or should I return this drone as having been missold to. Em? When I bought it, I was assured that this drone was suitable for landing on a yacht under sail?

Yours

GUY
2023-3-26
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

When I bought it, I was assured that this drone was suitable for landing on a yacht under sail?

Get that person to demonstrate how WITH THEIR DRONE NOT YOURS, or buy them some bacon and eggs to go with the porkies they are telling.
2023-3-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_jgmCPdRa4n76 Posted at 3-26 04:42
I’m a little nervous to add to this chain but I am a new user of a Mavic 3 mini Pro which I bought to use to film my sailing adventures. The issues about landing really ring true to me as it is virtually impossible to land this drone on a yacht under sail. A hand catch landing seems to only option but whilst I can hand catch whilst stationary (with the downward stick overriding the downward sensor, this only works when the drone is geo stationary - not when it has to be moving forward to keep up with the boat. Has any solution to this been found yet or should I return this drone as having been missold to. Em? When I bought it, I was assured that this drone was suitable for landing on a yacht under sail?

Yours

When I bought it, I was assured that this drone was suitable for landing on a yacht under sail?
You were given false information by someone with no knowledge or experience.
You don't want to land any drone on a moving boat.
You have to hand catch (and probably hand launch) it.
2023-3-26
Use props
Chris Giatrakos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7349813 ft
  • >>>
Greece

fans768032a3 Posted at 3-22 23:38
I am also a yacht photographer and landing protection is very dangerous on a boat. Phantom 4 pro 2 is still the best for yacht but now it is an old technology and the video quality is bad compare to the Mavic 3 ciné.Where are talking here about safety dji!!!

Someone finally understands me !! but DJI can't understand how dangerous and useless the M3 has become to us working on ships. *Do you know if Air 2S take of from a "moving" platform ??

@DJI   >>>  PLEASE FIX THIS MALFUNCTION TO MAVIC
We need to fly from a moving platform with "Atti" mode like Phantom... and to have the ability to "disable" the landing sensors for safe landing !!!Fery boats, Cruise Lines etc... do not stop in the middle of the ocean to take off and land the drone, we work while sailing...

This video is with Phantom 4 & Inspire 2 and now I cannot work with Mavic 3 Cine !!!!!!!

2023-3-30
Use props
KokoFresha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3843146 ft
Bulgaria

Landing protection is also not desirable in high winds and hand landings.
But you should understand that some features may be imposed for legal reasons. And DJI will not change them if such are the requirements of the European or American market.
Fortunately, this behavior can be changed by setting parameters with third-party software.
The parameter responsible for this is called:
g_config.flying_limit.avoid_ground_and_smart_landing_enable

Set to 0 and landing protection will not work.

Note: This is not a recommended action by DJI, but if your money depends on it, you may want to consider this action instead of waiting for DJI to change this feature for the rest of your pro career.
2023-3-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

KokoFresha Posted at 3-31 00:35
Landing protection is also not desirable in high winds and hand landings.
But you should understand that some features may be imposed for legal reasons. And DJI will not change them if such are the requirements of the European or American market.
Fortunately, this behavior can be changed by setting parameters with third-party software.

And DJI will not change them if such are the requirements of the European or American market.
They aren't requirements for any market.
2023-3-31
Use props
KokoFresha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3843146 ft
Bulgaria

Labroides Posted at 3-31 03:16
And DJI will not change them if such are the requirements of the European or American market.
They aren't requirements for any market.

I had in mind the requirements of regulatory bodies (commissions). The C1 label for the European market came with the removal of Mavic 3 functions.
2023-4-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

KokoFresha Posted at 4-1 04:34
I had in mind the requirements of regulatory bodies (commissions). The C1 label for the European market came with the removal of Mavic 3 functions.

But none have any requirement regarding landing protection or downward sensors.
2023-4-1
Use props
Sam CR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17890781 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FreddyMartuc Posted at 2022-8-30 06:16
So far no response from the technical team.
A firmware update would be enough by inserting a "Landing protection" flag (on-off) in the safety menu that resets at each take-off.
Evidently DJI is focusing only on the sales strategy of the new models.

we have resorted on taping over the sensors while flying from boats and great to see another op working on post cards fro Eurovision same as us
2023-4-14
Use props
carlos
lvl.1
Flight distance : 325207 ft
  • >>>
United States

FreddyMartuc Posted at 2022-10-13 11:44
I agree t9tally with you! Today i have blinded the sensor and lowest positiioning cameras with gaffer tape to land in safety on a caicco boat!!!  It is unacceptable that a professional cinema drone cannot be set up to work at sea !!!

I found a solution. Bought an Autel EVO ii V3. No issues turning off sensors and getting work done from a moving vessel. Got rid of the Cine but kept Phantom 4 pro.
2023-6-5
Use props
Vtcats
lvl.4
Flight distance : 199518 ft
United States

carlos@roarpost.com Posted at 6-5 18:26
I found a solution. Bought an Autel EVO ii V3. No issues turning off sensors and getting work done from a moving vessel. Got rid of the Cine but kept Phantom 4 pro.

Doing my research now on Autel. I’ve previously read it didn’t match up with DJI’s top drones in many ways, but it seems they are as good if not better now. Really hope they keep moving forward to give us an option. I currently have the Mavic 3 pro and like the 3 cameras the most. But, DJI hasn’t had real consumer drone competition…ever… and it’s about time. And they seem to be creating quite a few enemies both consumer and politically as I see the bill to ban them from all use in then US. I guess time to start following the Autel threads as well
2023-6-6
Use props
Peter Keith
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32184951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2022-8-13 19:24
Hello there FreddyMartuc. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for giving out these information.  Just a reminder that when flying above the water, the vision positioning function will turn off automatically and only the GPS and barometer are used for positioning, if affected by the accuracy range, and an accident might happen. In addition I will also post a DJI Forum thread on How to Fly Safely Over Water. Thank you.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=181878

Is there any chance Atti mode and disabling landing protection can be added to the Mavic 3 cine? Thanks
2023-7-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Peter Keith Posted at 7-5 07:42
Is there any chance Atti mode and disabling landing protection can be added to the Mavic 3 cine? Thanks

Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate the time and effort you have invested in providing this suggestion to us. Your feedback will be definitely cascaded to the concerned team for further review. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-7-15
Use props
rcmotorsportyahoo.com
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15581713 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Any News if DJI will implement Atti Mode and Landing Protection Off ?
It's totally insane landing the Mavic 3 in a moving Vessel..... i still fly the Inspire 2 and is as easy as eating an Ice Cream.....
Even with the tape it´s very hard to land it...

Professional Pilots know what they are doing and if DJI puts the option to Turn On or Off in the APP the drone can still be good for Pros and Novice pilots....

Please do this or i will have to start looking to other brand....  I must work and if DJI cant offer that..... others can!!!

With the FPV and Inspire 2 its easy to work in moving  vessels..... with the Mavic 3 you like an Novice pilot!!!!

2023-7-24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

rcmotorsportyahoo.com Posted at 7-24 06:52
Any News if DJI will implement Atti Mode and Landing Protection Off ?
It's totally insane landing the Mavic 3 in a moving Vessel..... i still fly the Inspire 2 and is as easy as eating an Ice Cream.....
Even with the tape it´s very hard to land it...

Hi there. Sorry for the inconvenience. No news as of right now but rest assured this request has been sent to our designated team. We appreciate your patience and understanding. Have a great day ahead.
2023-7-25
Use props
rcmotorsportyahoo.com
lvl.3
  • >>>
Portugal

DJI Tony Posted at 7-25 22:05
Hi there. Sorry for the inconvenience. No news as of right now but rest assured this request has been sent to our designated team. We appreciate your patience and understanding. Have a great day ahead.

OK Tony, i think it is a very simple thing we are asking and during this time it is very difficult to fly the drone in the river or hi sea....

Thanks for the update
2023-7-26
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rcmotorsportyahoo.com Posted at 7-26 05:57
OK Tony, i think it is a very simple thing we are asking and during this time it is very difficult to fly the drone in the river or hi sea....

Thanks for the update

I think if you google the subject you will find that a way to switch off landing protection has been asked for with every fly-app-using-model but, as far as I know, none of the fly-app-using mavic-style drones have been given that capability.
Ditto ATTI mode, though why you would want it when flying from a boat escapes me.
2023-7-26
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20129780 ft
United States

roarpost Posted at 2022-9-16 09:12
I also film from moving vessels and this sucks. One way around it is cover the sensors and TOF sensor with black Gad tape. That how you can catch it. DJI still has to fix this. Us professionals spend $5k on cine to shoot not to play. This is dangerous DJI.

do you think that black tape trick would work for releasing & catching the mavic 3  when fly and moving off a 28 x 8  foot four wheel drive flatbed truck that is used in S & R in a flood?  where landing on the ground is not a option.

Though we do have the option to stop the truck movement if necessary to land or take off , but someimes by the time we land the drone the truck will have 10 or 15 people on it leaving hand catch as the only methrod of landing.  when out in search and rescue missions we use a mavic 3 directing rescuers to locations, in mass flash flood events a boat or truck is their prefered platform, and having ATTI would be extremely helpful  as sometimes if stopping may leave you getting stuck in soft mud and 20foot boats full of people is hard to hand catch a drone in so its never attempted. that is the reason we launch from the EMS truck
thanks for the tip on the black tape I'll give it a try

edited for spelling sorry I am dislexic

2023-7-26
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ms Ivy Posted at 7-26 07:39
do you think that black tape trick would work for releasing & catching the mavic 3  when fly and moving off a 28 x 8  foot four wheel drive flatbed truck that is used in S & R in a flood?  where landing on the ground is not a option.

Though we do have the option to stop the truck movement if necessary to land or take off , but someimes by the time we land the drone the truck will have 10 or 15 people on it leaving hand catch as the only methrod of landing.  when out in search and rescue missions we use a mavic 3 directing rescuers to locations, in mass flash flood events a boat or truck is their prefered platform, and having ATTI would be extremely helpful  as sometimes if stopping may leave you getting stuck in soft mud and 20foot boats full of people is hard to hand catch a drone in so its never attempted. that is the reason we launch from the EMS truck

With regards to hand catching from the bed of a truck - that can be stopped - have a look at

from about 4:50 onwards I think.
2023-7-26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

rcmotorsportyahoo.com Posted at 7-26 05:57

Thanks for the update

No problem. Thank you for your patience. Have a wonderful day.
2023-7-27
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20129780 ft
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-26 20:29
With regards to hand catching from the bed of a truck - that can be stopped - have a look at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRV94Gr-Feg
from about 4:50 onwards I think.

helpful video thank you with sharing it with me
2023-7-27
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ms Ivy Posted at 7-27 06:27
helpful video thank you with sharing it with me

Yeah that guy does some good stuff, no drama or whatever just straight forward information, but the sponser bit gets up my nose lol.
2023-7-27
Use props
rcmotorsportyahoo.com
lvl.3
  • >>>
Portugal

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-26 06:43
I think if you google the subject you will find that a way to switch off landing protection has been asked for with every fly-app-using-model but, as far as I know, none of the fly-app-using mavic-style drones have been given that capability.
Ditto ATTI mode, though why you would want it when flying from a boat escapes me.

In the video you posted bellow after 5:00 you can see the amount of time the drone takes to enter "landing mode" in that amount of time a boat going 15knots speed the drone stays behind the boat...

And the problem is that  when you are flying above the boat at for example 15 meters i have the drone perfectly above the place were i want to land in the boat and as soon i start going down the below sensors when they read the landing boat  (it's about the same height when you go landing at night and the below light turns on, around 5 to 6 meters) they try to compensate the moving boat and the drone goes everywhere in crazy moves and as an expert pilot before i change to Sport mode to try to compensate the drone and land but it's always crazy landings.... in the same boat and same place i do the same with my Inspire 2 and i land were i want with a millimeter precision...

I DON´T WANT THE DRONE TO LAND FOR ME, i have the skills to land it perfectly in Sea or River or moving truck!!! Just want the "Help of DJI OFF" like you can have a switch in you car to TURN OFF the " ABS"
2023-8-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rcmotorsportyahoo.com Posted at 8-2 03:19
In the video you posted bellow after 5:00 you can see the amount of time the drone takes to enter "landing mode" in that amount of time a boat going 15knots speed the drone stays behind the boat...

And the problem is that  when you are flying above the boat at for example 15 meters i have the drone perfectly above the place were i want to land in the boat and as soon i start going down the below sensors when they read the landing boat  (it's about the same height when you go landing at night and the below light turns on, around 5 to 6 meters) they try to compensate the moving boat and the drone goes everywhere in crazy moves and as an expert pilot before i change to Sport mode to try to compensate the drone and land but it's always crazy landings.... in the same boat and same place i do the same with my Inspire 2 and i land were i want with a millimeter precision...

I don't see a video.
2023-8-2
Use props
djiuser_86UjxeWvqxcZ
lvl.1

Australia

STILL can't turn off "landing protection" on this drone.

It honestly baffles me. This drone is meant to be for pros, its meant to be portable and designed for travel and adventure.

Feels like a hobbyist drone without this customisation.

As others have said, needs to be turned off in so many different scenarios and the feature existed on the Mavic 2 Pro so why don't we have it any more?

I always hand launch and hand catch drones because that way the drone doesn't need to touch the ground. Can have it in the backpack, walk out to rocky outcrops, launch from long grass, sandy beaches, near waterfalls, from boats etc.

The inability to turn off landing protection makes this such a poor experience and it makes the drone infinitely more dangerous to try and hand catch.

The drone is not the least bit dangerous to hand catch EXCEPT for the fact that these stupid sensors can't be disabled! Boat surfaces move up and down, making the drone impossible to land with its crap automated landing sequence because the sensore get confused.

It feels yuck and amateurish, like they just want us to head to a car park, launch the drone, take a photo of a tree and land on a landing pad then go home.

It's like DJI are scared people will hurt themselves, but I'v never heard of anyone hurting themselves catching the mavic line of drones, and people who don't need to turn landing protection off will obviously not turn it off and be in the same position as they are now.

Struggling to comprehend this feature being missing on this sized drone at this price point.
2023-8-28
Use props
djiuser_86UjxeWvqxcZ
lvl.1

Australia

IT'S FINALLY HAPPENED!!

They have included the option to turn this off allowing more creative flying situations, safer hand catching and the ability for full manual landing  on boats etc.

I can't believe it took so long but am thankful that it got included, I hope it never gets removed again!
2023-9-5
Use props
dvermeulen
lvl.2
Canada

djiuser_86UjxeWvqxcZ Posted at 9-5 13:48
IT'S FINALLY HAPPENED!!

They have included the option to turn this off allowing more creative flying situations, safer hand catching and the ability for full manual landing  on boats etc.

Just updated my drone but haven't been able to figure out how to turn off landing protection – can you let me know how it works? Would be such a clutch add!!
2023-12-19
Use props
dvermeulen
lvl.2
Canada

dvermeulen Posted at 12-19 20:34
Just updated my drone but haven't been able to figure out how to turn off landing protection – can you let me know how it works? Would be such a clutch add!!

Nvm, figured it out!! Thank you DJI for listening (better late than never!)

For those curious, you need to update to the most recent firmware, scroll to the bottom of the safety menu, hit "Advanced Safety Settings" and then look for "Vision Positioning and Obstacle Sensing"
2023-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules