Flying above maximum altitude
2481 16 2022-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RGBellCSI
lvl.2
Flight distance : 693360 ft
United States

I have had a problem with exceeding the maximum altitude when flying my Mini 3 Pro up the side of the mountain. I have set the maximum altitude in the app to the maximum value. Once it reaches the maximum altitude set in the app, I cannot continue to fly up the mountain. Even though the drone is only about 100 feet above the ground, it thinks it is at the altitude above the starting point. Updating the Home Point apparently does not update the altitude.  Is there a work-around for this issue?
2022-8-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Simple answer, no. You are correct in your assumption, be aware that drobes do not have any ability to measure their elevation above the ground, nor from sea-level or any other fixed reference. They simply show their curreny elevation above the take-off point. The best way to solve your problem is to climb up the mountain and launch from a point part-way up, you can then fly to the maximum elevation above your new starting point.
2022-8-13
Use props
fateofangel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

just land in the middle and start again, dont climb
2022-8-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fateofangel Posted at 8-13 23:26
just land in the middle and start again, dont climb

Great in theory, but it can be difficult to find a place where this is possible.
2022-8-13
Use props
fateofangel
lvl.4
Poland

Labroides Posted at 8-13 23:36
Great in theory, but it can be difficult to find a place where this is possible.

i agree but worth trying in this certain situation
2022-8-14
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Bell,

The solution is easy, you set your max altitude at 1640 feet, then fly up the side of the mountain like I do on a regular basis - at least until I reach 1640 feet (which is 500 meters).   As long as you are less than 400 feet from the structure (mountain) you are compliant with FAA regulations.  Simple.

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2022-8-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fateofangel Posted at 8-14 00:03
i agree but worth trying in this certain situation

And if the drone lands on a spot that is excessively tilted, it may be difficult to judge when looking via the drone's camera,  the motors may not restart.
Similarly, if there is vegetation at the landing spot and it prevents a motor restart, as can happen,  what then? I have seen grass prevent a motor start.
2022-8-14
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-14 01:53
And if the drone lands on a spot that is excessively tilted, it may be difficult to judge when looking via the drone's camera,  the motors may not restart.
Similarly, if there is vegetation at the landing spot and it prevents a motor restart, as can happen,  what then? I have seen grass prevent a motor start.

In that scenario you'd have a long trek up the hill to retrieve it
2022-8-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Precisely.
2022-8-14
Use props
fateofangel
lvl.4
Poland

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-14 01:53
And if the drone lands on a spot that is excessively tilted, it may be difficult to judge when looking via the drone's camera,  the motors may not restart.

I agree but
  • in your scenario you take a hike without checking,
  • in my scenario you will hike only if you try and you will fail,
  • there is still third option you can try with a success
  • and lastly you can try and decide not to land.

In Poland we say for people behaving like you they are "WYDYGANI" (timid, cowardly, fearful), im not saying you are, i think responsibility is just your priority

I hikes BTW but having an option to choose is the point
I suggest always try dont give up
2022-8-14
Use props
RGBellCSI
lvl.2
United States

I considered landing and taking off again. I was flying up a canyon that twists and turns. If I attempted to land within the canyon, the drone would be behind a part of the mountain, and I would lose signal. I may have been able to land on the ridge of the canyon. There was a large hill in front of me and I couldn't get enough altitude to maintain line of sight and signal. I may have been able to find a suitable landing spot on the hill in front of me, and then continued from there. First world problems!
2022-8-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To faceofangel

And what will you do if following your advice costs some one their drone? How will you feel?
You have already flown the drone into a remote forced landing thorough exhausting the battery where you had to recover it
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=270053
and seemingly flown into High voltage power lines
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=271363

I look forward to more such threads from you.
Strangely an old adage comes to mind. "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are NO old, bold pilots"
Perhaps, for drone usage, it should be modified to "There are drones flown by old pilots and there are drones flown by bold pilots but there are no old, unrepaired drones flown by old, bold pilots.  "

You certainly seem to be proving the above adage to be correct.
2022-8-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RGBellCSI Posted at 8-14 06:18
I considered landing and taking off again. I was flying up a canyon that twists and turns. If I attempted to land within the canyon, the drone would be behind a part of the mountain, and I would lose signal. I may have been able to land on the ridge of the canyon. There was a large hill in front of me and I couldn't get enough altitude to maintain line of sight and signal. I may have been able to find a suitable landing spot on the hill in front of me, and then continued from there. First world problems!

Bear in mind that, in your location, aside from there being a hike involved in recovering the drone you may have snakes etc. to be wary of in such a hike/recovery.
2022-8-14
Use props
RGBellCSI
lvl.2
United States

Here is a link to the video that I was capturing. I wanted to increase my altitude so I could maintain signal strength, but I couldn't raise it up high enough due to the maximum altitude restriction.

2022-8-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Literally what height was you max height set to?
In your answer literally type the number and the units.

The drone will not, in normal circumstances, break that ceiling but you can change that ceiling, when the drone, phone and App are connected to the controller, to.  at most 1640ft/500m.
2022-8-14
Use props
RGBellCSI
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-14 08:29
Literally what height was you max height set to?
In your answer literally type the number and the units.

It was set to 1640ft.
2022-8-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RGBellCSI Posted at 8-14 08:40
It was set to 1640ft.

That ceiling can not be increased unless you hack the drone's firmware. There is a 500m / 1640ft ceiling 'built in to ' DJI's firmware,
2022-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules