Stop Sensitivity
764 18 2022-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brad Kaz
lvl.1
United States

Hi there,

I noticed in the DJI Fly app that there is nowhere to adjust the stop or Yaw sensitivity. There is an option in the DJI GO 4 to adjust both. I find it ridiculous that a $3000 drone does not have this capibility. I called tech support and they had no answers. Does anyone have any ideas or a work around?

Thanks,
Brad

2022-8-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There are lots of options you are used to that have been dropped in the Fly app.
Yes, it's crazy that such a capable drone has been hobbled with an entry-level app, but DJI seem to have no interest in improving that.
2022-8-14
Use props
Brad Kaz
lvl.1
United States

I know! Very disappointing.
2022-8-14
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So many threads on here about this. I’ve complained incessantly about the fact we’re being treated like novices with the Fly App
2022-8-14
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27904331 ft
  • >>>
Germany

if you have never used the DJI Go 4 app:

What does "stop sensitivity" mean...?
2022-8-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

frankymusik Posted at 8-14 22:21
if you have never used the DJI Go 4 app:

What does "stop sensitivity" mean...?

It basically means when you command your drone to stop “it doesn’t “ it continues on and slowly comes to a halt but still comes to a halt eventually . You won’t notice any difference in filming but the mavic 3 looks more aggressive when stopping and the gimbal has no problem with this . It doesn’t seem to be quite as abrupt with Air 2s which is a lot smoother to stop than an inspire or a phantom which both use go4 app . Other drones like Mavic air spark although having this sensitivity setting when stopping just completely de-centered the gimbal, so go figure.
2022-8-15
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 8-15 01:10
It basically means when you command your drone to stop “it doesn’t “ it continues on and slowly comes to a halt but still comes to a halt eventually . You won’t notice any difference in filming but the mavic 3 looks more aggressive when stopping and the gimbal has no problem with this . It doesn’t seem to be quite as abrupt with Air 2s which is a lot smoother to stop than an inspire or a phantom which both use go4 app . Other drones like Mavic air spark although having this sensitivity setting when stopping just completely de-centered the gimbal, so go figure.

I agree with most of what you said Hallmark, but it does stop abrupt enough to make the stop quite noticeable in footage.  I spent the better part of a morning trying to do stops slow enough that the final part of the stop did not cause a shake in the video, but it does indeed jump in the recorded video.  (Even when stopping from 1mph and less.  

This is not a major issue as editing in post can fix this, but it would be nice to have a smoother stop provided the pilot is aware that it will require some extra stopping distance.   : )
2022-8-15
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27904331 ft
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 8-15 01:10
It basically means when you command your drone to stop “it doesn’t “ it continues on and slowly comes to a halt but still comes to a halt eventually . You won’t notice any difference in filming but the mavic 3 looks more aggressive when stopping and the gimbal has no problem with this . It doesn’t seem to be quite as abrupt with Air 2s which is a lot smoother to stop than an inspire or a phantom which both use go4 app . Other drones like Mavic air spark although having this sensitivity setting when stopping just completely de-centered the gimbal, so go figure.

Ah,
thanks a lot, hallmark....   
2022-8-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TonyPHX Posted at 8-15 15:09
I agree with most of what you said Hallmark, but it does stop abrupt enough to make the stop quite noticeable in footage.  I spent the better part of a morning trying to do stops slow enough that the final part of the stop did not cause a shake in the video, but it does indeed jump in the recorded video.  (Even when stopping from 1mph and less.  

This is not a major issue as editing in post can fix this, but it would be nice to have a smoother stop provided the pilot is aware that it will require some extra stopping distance.   : )

All drones including bigger ones using go4 come to a stop and the stop can be seen in the footage, you can demonstrate this also very easily. The only difference is you can cut short the very ending of some other drones like air2s M2. In almost all cases of filming you see very little sudden stops , not because the cameraman has a drone that continues to fly after he commands stop but because of very simple editing. Im amazed at the sheer lack of RUINED footage shown on here caused by this, but I have seen lots of excellent edited footage from all drones.
As I said with drones like mavic air starting to fly camera would immediately turn down and similar on stopping, but footage wasn’t ruined it just needed slight editing. Of course your footage will show a sudden stop but you can continue it on and show a different edit. And thats what I have been doing with almost all dji drones. Changing the cine mode to allow the drone to come to a slow stop and allow auto control of the slow speeds is the best option IMO.
2022-8-15
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 8-15 23:07
All drones including bigger ones using go4 come to a stop and the stop can be seen in the footage, you can demonstrate this also very easily. The only difference is you can cut short the very ending of some other drones like air2s M2. In almost all cases of filming you see very little sudden stops , not because the cameraman has a drone that continues to fly after he commands stop but because of very simple editing. Im amazed at the sheer lack of RUINED footage shown on here caused by this, but I have seen lots of excellent edited footage from all drones.
As I said with drones like mavic air starting to fly camera would immediately turn down and similar on stopping, but footage wasn’t ruined it just needed slight editing. Of course your footage will show a sudden stop but you can continue it on and show a different edit. And thats what I have been doing with almost all dji drones. Changing the cine mode to allow the drone to come to a slow stop and allow auto control of the slow speeds is the best option IMO.

That would be a very good option and change yes!
I made it a point to compare the same stops with the M2P and the M2P came to such nice stops that I could not see the same gimbal jump when stopping (from slow speeds) which is what I am comparing my M3 experience to.
2022-8-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Currently, this function is unavailable but we'll forward this feedback to our developers. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-8-16
Use props
Brad Kaz
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for all the replies!  Just to clarify, I wanted to control the "jerkyness" of the stop and side to side. I.E, make it smoother. Go4 does not support the M3. I have also reached out to DJI and I guess time will tell.
2022-8-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Brad Kaz Posted at 8-25 15:27
Thanks for all the replies!  Just to clarify, I wanted to control the "jerkyness" of the stop and side to side. I.E, make it smoother. Go4 does not support the M3. I have also reached out to DJI and I guess time will tell.

Time has already told.
DJI have no interest in making the Mavic 3 do a lot of things that advanced users appreciated in the Phantom 4 pro or Mavic 2.
2022-8-25
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-25 16:15
Time has already told.
DJI have no interest in making the Mavic 3 do a lot of things that advanced users appreciated in the Phantom 4 pro or Mavic 2.

Insert sad face here.   
2022-8-25
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I want my drone to stop fast before it damages anything including itself. In my opinion it is up to the pilot to do what is safe and responsible even if it clouds your precious video, even though we don't do that normally. If you are flying too fast (and I do that all the time) to be safe, it is your fault if something untoward happens, not DJI. They are cya's, and I don't blame them being cautious. I am most certainly not ;-)
2022-8-25
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-25 16:15
Time has already told.

Not every user is as advanced as you and maybe I ;-). DJI is taking the safe road.
2022-8-25
Use props
Brad Kaz
lvl.1
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 8-25 21:32
Not every user is as advanced as you and maybe I ;-). DJI is taking the safe road.

Your assumptions are ridiculous. First off, I mainly fly in Cine mode and never fly faster than I can handle. I am a not an "advanced" flyer and still learning every time I fly. All I was asking was if there is a way to control the "smoothness" of the stop. NOT TAKE LONGER TO STOP, I know how to edit my "precious" video so there is a work around.

I don't appreciate you, or anyone else using my post as a lecture platform on safety. I'm not flying recklessly so please don't assume that I am.

2022-8-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Brad Kaz Posted at 8-26 05:50
Your assumptions are ridiculous. First off, I mainly fly in Cine mode and never fly faster than I can handle. I am a not an "advanced" flyer and still learning every time I fly. All I was asking was if there is a way to control the "smoothness" of the stop. NOT TAKE LONGER TO STOP, I know how to edit my "precious" video so there is a work around.

I don't appreciate you, or anyone else using my post as a lecture platform on safety. I'm not flying recklessly so please don't assume that I am.

It is expected that dji will issue a FW update that will allow control of Cine speed this should help, but when it comes is anyones guess. You’ll find the same people who spent much time here saying dji would never fix GPS or add features to the fly app . The Mavic 3 is an exceptional drone although we read many complaining here on the forum, but the phantom 4pro has been out since 2016 and people are still over on that forum complaining about its faults etc. its just a drone thing ;+)
2022-8-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Brad Kaz Posted at 8-26 05:50

I don't appreciate you, or anyone else using my post as a lecture platform on safety. I'm not flying recklessly so please don't assume that I am.

Your reply is ridiculous. You may want to read both before posting anything. Notice that I was not even replying to you. Step back.
2022-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules