Video waypoints?
2973 22 2022-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fizzyfizz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67520 ft
United Kingdom

I don't know if this is something obvious I've missed but is there a way to pre-set a path for the Mini 3 to fly and record video? Similar I guess to Hyperlapse waypoints but without the Hyperlapse!

THANKS
2022-8-15
Use props
jefish
lvl.3
United States

Nope.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=270843
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=270967
2022-8-15
Use props
Select_Wes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1309695 ft
United States

+1 on this.  for the project I'd like to shoot this is way more useful then the preprogrammed master shots.
2022-8-15
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Select_Wes Posted at 8-15 16:29
+1 on this.  for the project I'd like to shoot this is way more useful then the preprogrammed master shots.

simple, you will need to buy the model that offers this feature.  there are a dozen out there....mini 3 pro isn't one of them.  it's like asking in 1989 if your honda civic has cruise control.  it does not, you'll need to get the honda accord.

and by the way, waypoint is nice but it's way less useful to 90% of the recreational flyers who don't care for it.  again, i think it's pretty cool but i believe the number is even higher 95% who will use it once or twice and never again.  let's face it, the community is good for asking for a lot of things and when delivered, they ended up not wanting it after all.

mini 2 has waypoints via litchi.  and there's all of five guys using it.

/s
2022-8-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 8-15 17:33
simple, you will need to buy the model that offers this feature.  there are a dozen out there....mini 3 pro isn't one of them.  it's like asking in 1989 if your honda civic has cruise control.  it does not, you'll need to get the honda accord.

and by the way, waypoint is nice but it's way less useful to 90% of the recreational flyers who don't care for it.  again, i think it's pretty cool but i believe the number is even higher 95% who will use it once or twice and never again.  let's face it, the community is good for asking for a lot of things and when delivered, they ended up not wanting it after all.

Whilst litchi serves a purpose to a certain extent. I myself prefer the Fly App, I had a scary moment or 2 with Litchi waypoints. So whilst I paid for the app many moons ago, i do not use it.

Now then, which proverbial hat did you pull that figure out of for the Mini 2 users? because I need to get the facts straight, is this including or excluding me, i mean, i did use it once for the P4P and tried once again with the Mini 2? So technically i used it...
2022-8-15
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-15 18:54
Whilst litchi serves a purpose to a certain extent. I myself prefer the Fly App, I had a scary moment or 2 with Litchi waypoints. So whilst I paid for the app many moons ago, i do not use it.

Now then, which proverbial hat did you pull that figure out of for the Mini 2 users? because I need to get the facts straight, is this including or excluding me, i mean, i did use it once for the P4P and tried once again with the Mini 2? So technically i used it...

the /s switch is for sarcasm so obviously im not stating the facts.  tell me im not right. ;)
2022-8-15
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-8-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 8-15 19:35
the /s switch is for sarcasm so obviously im not stating the facts.  tell me im not right. ;)

Well, i for one have never heard of an "/s" and i don't even remember seeing it in your reply, prob glanced past it has it meant nothing to me, so after a search of google, i apologise, it does in fact represent sarcasm but on reddit when one is afraid one may get downvoted, I gotta point out a wee flaw in your usage of it though, this ain't reddit ;) so just your *sarcasm* would suffice.

Although, thinking about it, had you put it right on the end of the paragraph i may have picked up on it enough to maybe search, but i doubt it, it still looks like a fat-fingered typo lol
2022-8-15
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-15 21:46
Well, i for one have never heard of an "/s" and i don't even remember seeing it in your reply, prob glanced past it has it meant nothing to me, so after a search of google, i apologise, it does in fact represent sarcasm but on reddit when one is afraid one may get downvoted, I gotta point out a wee flaw in your usage of it though, this ain't reddit ;) so just your *sarcasm* would suffice.

Although, thinking about it, had you put it right on the end of the paragraph i may have picked up on it enough to maybe search, but i doubt it, it still looks like a fat-fingered typo lol

i agree i think it's usage is dated.  don't see it alot these days especially when the icons and emojis are common.  this forum has a slight problem with spacing and paragraphs so it's not always predictable where your text will land.  my point is why should dji work overtime to include waypoints that so so many people are asking for and in the end, they don't bother to use it?  how many times have we seen it where people want and ask for stuff but barely use it or buy it when it becomes available?  dji has to make the determination on their own and not go with a feature you know the majority of people will ask for simply because it's cool to have or they want it just for sake.  look at yt and tell me how many waypoint videos do you see?  again, i can see limited use in the commercial space but not really recreational imo.  unfortunately i think it's a long time before we see waypoints 4.0
2022-8-16
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 8-16 05:44
i agree i think it's usage is dated.  don't see it alot these days especially when the icons and emojis are common.  this forum has a slight problem with spacing and paragraphs so it's not always predictable where your text will land.  my point is why should dji work overtime to include waypoints that so so many people are asking for and in the end, they don't bother to use it?  how many times have we seen it where people want and ask for stuff but barely use it or buy it when it becomes available?  dji has to make the determination on their own and not go with a feature you know the majority of people will ask for simply because it's cool to have or they want it just for sake.  look at yt and tell me how many waypoint videos do you see?  again, i can see limited use in the commercial space but not really recreational imo.  unfortunately i think it's a long time before we see waypoints 4.0

How do you know it's barely used, do you speak to the hundreds of thousands of customers?

On the Litchi hub there over nearly 200k waypoint missions, those do not include private and deleted either, they do however include historic missions, but even if 5% of those are active, that's certainly a reasonable number for DJI to consider implementing something that's already available.
2022-8-16
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-16 06:34
How do you know it's barely used, do you speak to the hundreds of thousands of customers?

On the Litchi hub there over nearly 200k waypoint missions, those do not include private and deleted either, they do however include historic missions, but even if 5% of those are active, that's certainly a reasonable number for DJI to consider implementing something that's already available.

im not the one who needs to know, dji needs to know the numbers.  i dont speak for anyone except for myself.  but it doesn't take an expert to understand waypoints is not in high demand.  how many litchi missions are in your city? 15?  a decade on litchi and most of those drones are older drones that already have dji waypoints like mavic2....it's tiny bash; super tiny.

just so we stay on point, my "opinion" is unless the drone is specially commercial, as long as it has a majority recreational draw, it's not going to get waypoints.  people don't buy drones so they can sit down and plan a route at home, travel to the site, launch their drone and capture the photos/video footage and go home.  it's exactly the opposite
2022-8-16
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 8-16 07:04
im not the one who needs to know, dji needs to know the numbers.  i dont speak for anyone except for myself.  but it doesn't take an expert to understand waypoints is not in high demand.  how many litchi missions are in your city? 15?  a decade on litchi and most of those drones are older drones that already have dji waypoints like mavic2....it's tiny bash; super tiny.

just so we stay on point, my "opinion" is unless the drone is specially commercial, as long as it has a majority recreational draw, it's not going to get waypoints.  people don't buy drones so they can sit down and plan a route at home, travel to the site, launch their drone and capture the photos/video footage and go home.  it's exactly the opposite

"I dont speak for anyone except myself"

I quoted the Hub stats because they are real figures as opposed to just opinions.

You did in fact speak for other people when you said that "so so many people are asking for and in the end, they don't bother to use it" and again "how many times have we seen it where people want......" that's speaking for others with nothing to back that up with, and you spoke for DJI too.

For some, waypoints are needed hence they wouldnt keep asking for them. The fact that DJI has implemented this now with Hyperlapse is just teasing folks, its just a wee leap to enabling them for Normal mode too.

As for how many on Litchi hub in my city, thats a big fat 0 because I live in the flattest and most boring part of the country and my closest town is a dive. There are some sights further afield and i would sit down and plan a mission for those, anything that saves me time and not spend any more time in the field than necessary because I have an elderly, sick dog at home.

Anyhoo, i ain't gonna keep flogging this topic, i will leave it with ya...
2022-8-16
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-16 19:38
"I dont speak for anyone except myself"

I quoted the Hub stats because they are real figures as opposed to just opinions.

if you wanted waypoints and you really wanted it, you know where to find it.

i agree we should leave the topic because you wanna debate who am i speaking for and how i'm saying it instead of the topic.  if you think i speak for dji then listen up:  "not gonna happen!"

just start an online internet petition and get a couple hundred signatures and send them over to dji; see where it goes.  
2022-8-16
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 8-16 21:06
if you wanted waypoints and you really wanted it, you know where to find it.

i agree we should leave the topic because you wanna debate who am i speaking for and how i'm saying it instead of the topic.  if you think i speak for dji then listen up:  "not gonna happen!"

That wasn't a debate, but there was irony, i was merely pointing it out ;)
post #4 you spoke for 90% of recreational flyers yet you say you are speaking for yourself.

Your figures on the other hand were debatable.

+1 for Waypoints here too
2022-8-16
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-16 22:02
That wasn't a debate, but there was irony, i was merely pointing it out ;)
post #4 you spoke for 90% of recreational flyers yet you say you are speaking for yourself.

again, it was sarcasm so i guess i can see how you think i might have been engaging in a scientific debate armed with facts.  i know i won't be popular coming to a waypoints thread where everybody is asking for the feature and then i state not only do you not really want it but also if you got it, you probably wouldn't even use it.  however, it's the truth.  dji isn't going to waste their time.  i also believe there is another plausible reason but we can get into that later.
2022-8-17
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 618734 ft
  • >>>
Australia

+1 for Waypoints, sorely missed!

If it can be done for Hyperlapse, then it can be done for video, right?
My RS3 can do it, and I definitely don't need it there.. but I want the ability to fly A<>B or A>B<C with preprogrammed vectors, speeds and gimbal orientation, supersmooth. The stuff you can't do by yourself, but with clever automation, you can reliably pull of that 'impossible shot'.
3Pro being PRO right there ;-)
2022-8-19
Use props
fizzyfizz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67520 ft
United Kingdom

AVsupport Posted at 8-19 23:09
+1 for Waypoints, sorely missed!

If it can be done for Hyperlapse, then it can be done for video, right?

Agree completely. Hopefully it'll be added soon. Although no idea why it isn't there already for the very reasons you just laid out.
2022-8-20
Use props
provanguard
lvl.3
Flight distance : 74911 ft
Denmark

I also would like to have the waypoints feature implemented. +1
2022-8-20
Use props
CuAnnan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69432 ft
Ireland

The Saint Posted at 8-15 17:33
simple, you will need to buy the model that offers this feature.  there are a dozen out there....mini 3 pro isn't one of them.  it's like asking in 1989 if your honda civic has cruise control.  it does not, you'll need to get the honda accord.

and by the way, waypoint is nice but it's way less useful to 90% of the recreational flyers who don't care for it.  again, i think it's pretty cool but i believe the number is even higher 95% who will use it once or twice and never again.  let's face it, the community is good for asking for a lot of things and when delivered, they ended up not wanting it after all.

Wow.. there's a lot to unpack here.

But the most important one is: Waypoints are nothing like cruise control. They're a software/firmware thing not hardware. All of the drones are equipped with the hardware to handle waypoints.
2022-8-20
Use props
8Pilot
lvl.1
Australia

I'd like to see pre-planned way-points ... like figure it all out on a computer at home, upload the map to the controller, and then be able to tell it to go fly that precise route etc when at location.  Including things like "stop here at this altitude and shoot a 360 pano" then move to next spot and do something else.  ALSO, would like to see a pretty advanced thing ... I have an idea for a flight / video sequence which I can most liken to a golf ball trajectory ... kind of like a slightly curved "dronie" only facing forwards, with a more rapid curve back down still heading out, rather than return at the peak.  And yeah, I'd probably only do it a few times so most likely not high on anyone's priority list.  But hey, they've added "boomerang" so how about "golf ball" for an future one???  ;-)
2022-8-21
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
Flight distance : 39606 ft
United States

I would like to see waypoints as well. A few days ago, I would have tended to agree with those who say they aren't all that useful in a hobbyist drone. Perhaps. But I recently got involved in a search for a lost dog. I eventually found her (sadly, she was dead). If I had waypoints, I could have preprogrammed a methodical search rather than randomly flying around, and perhaps found her in time.

Yes, I know there are specialized drones for this purpose, and some DJI drones can use Litchi. Nevertheless, we're talking about some firmware programming, not something that requires additional hardware. I know every company has finite development resources. Do I expect to see it in the mini 3? Probably not but I'll add my vote for whatever it's worth (probably not much).
2022-9-2
Use props
Drone Jockey
lvl.3
Germany

Without waypoints (for photo and video) and third party app support the Mini 3 doesn't deserve the name PRO, period!

There are many part-time professionals (at least in Germany), who do roof inspections, land surveying and photogrammetry on a freelancer basis and the Mini 3 has the needed resolution, being minimum 20MP, which the Mini 2 doesn't have. Furthermore bigger / heavier drones aren't as easily useable in most regions and would often require special permissions ... a problem you often don't have with the Mini 3.

That's why even professionals would be interested in the Mini 3, if it would be really PRO ;-) So far, we can only hope for the future, but with the current release notes regarding a possible SDK, my hope got much smaller :-(
2022-9-2
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

+1 for Wine, Women and Waypoints...
2022-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now