What...? (None drone shot)
463 28 2022-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

What...???  (Sorry just had to post this, was the funniest shot from the road trip, is from an Olympus OMD EM1 MK11

What...?

What...?

Apparently (and I only learned this on this trip) that there are cows in NZ that on really frosty mornings when it's potentially close to freezing find it very pleasing to stand in their drinking troughs with their shins in icy cold water. Makes perfect sense...

Website Homepage https://andrewbusst.wixsite.com/mysite

Cheers Bussty

2022-8-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Brilliant shot Bussty.  

I remember seeing a few cows in the Colorado mountains doing the same thing but the farmer told me it was because the cows were breaking up the surface ice to get to the drinking water below.  

So guess it could be therapeutic or thirst quenching depending on the locale.  
2022-8-16
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-16 03:08
Brilliant shot Bussty.  

I remember seeing a few cows in the Colorado mountains doing the same thing but the farmer told me it was because the cows were breaking up the surface ice to get to the drinking water below.  

Thanks Downtown That's actually a very plausible explanation!  New respect for cows!!  
2022-8-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 8-16 03:19
Thanks Downtown  That's actually a very plausible explanation!  New respect for cows!!

My pleasure Bussty.    

I grew up on a farm but that location never experienced freezes or snows so we never had cattle stepping in the water trough to break ice.  I can definitely tell you that back then the saying of farmers work from sunup to sundown is really true.  Nowadays, with all the modern equipment and technology I'm sure the job is a lot easier and maybe even shorter.  I enjoyed the work but knew I didn't want to do it forever.  Eventually left the farm for college and obtained my law degree.  Retired now and enjoying it immensely.
2022-8-16
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Maybe they're Northern hemisphere cows getting mixed up by winter in July!
2022-8-16
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Love it!  What a great capture
2022-8-16
Use props
KHew88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20935 ft
United Kingdom

Absolutely love this shot Bussty, excellent work. The cows expression is priceless.
2022-8-16
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-16 04:20
My pleasure Bussty.   

I grew up on a farm but that location never experienced freezes or snows so we never had cattle stepping in the water trough to break ice.  I can definitely tell you that back then the saying of farmers work from sunup to sundown is really true.  Nowadays, with all the modern equipment and technology I'm sure the job is a lot easier and maybe even shorter.  I enjoyed the work but knew I didn't want to do it forever.  Eventually left the farm for college and obtained my law degree.  Retired now and enjoying it immensely.

Yes certainly changing a lot I see some of the farms now have GPS controlled automated harvesters and cultivators so farmer probably sits in a control room and farms :-) Bit like having a drone! Glad to hear you are enjoying your retirement what a great hobby to have (drones) when retired (he says hoping one day that will be the case for him )

I envy you I'm currently mid to late career smack bang in the middle of an ever regulated banking industry. Running fast to keep up!  
2022-8-16
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

Depp Posted at 8-16 05:59
Maybe they're Northern hemisphere cows getting mixed up by winter in July!

Ha ha Depp you do wonder
2022-8-16
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

Blériot53 Posted at 8-16 06:13
Love it!  What a great capture

Thanks Mr B. I was sure the cow would bolt as soon as I got out of the car but it just stood it's icy ground even shook it's head like I had better leave
2022-8-16
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

KHew88 Posted at 8-16 06:45
Absolutely love this shot Bussty, excellent work. The cows expression is priceless.

Thanks KHew88 funniest thing I have seen for a long time
2022-8-16
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bussty Posted at 8-16 12:06
Thanks Mr B. I was sure the cow would bolt as soon as I got out of the car but it just stood it's icy ground even shook it's head like I had better leave

Haha "This is my foot spa and you're not getting in! "  
2022-8-16
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

Blériot53 Posted at 8-16 12:34
Haha "This is my foot spa and you're not getting in! "

Pretty much
2022-8-16
Use props
KHew88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20935 ft
United Kingdom

Bussty Posted at 8-16 12:07
Thanks KHew88 funniest thing I have seen for a long time

There nothing better than when the stars align to give you the perfect photo, and this is honestly a brilliant example of that happening
2022-8-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lovely,    Ive been doing the same here to cool down too.  
2022-8-16
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

KHew88 Posted at 8-16 22:40
There nothing better than when the stars align to give you the perfect photo, and this is honestly a brilliant example of that happening

So true couldn't agree more
2022-8-17
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DAFlys Posted at 8-16 23:03
Lovely,    Ive been doing the same here to cool down too.

Thanks DAFlys not surprising with the weather you are having currently
2022-8-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 8-16 12:04
Yes certainly changing a lot I see some of the farms now have GPS controlled automated harvesters and cultivators so farmer probably sits in a control room and farms :-) Bit like having a drone! Glad to hear you are enjoying your retirement what a great hobby to have (drones) when retired (he says hoping one day that will be the case for him  )

I envy you I'm currently mid to late career smack bang in the middle of an ever regulated banking industry. Running fast to keep up!

I was amazed to see that many of the harvesters now have air conditioning and satellite radios in them.  You do have to love how technology changes things.

Hang in there in your career endeavors as time will pass fast enough.  Speaking of banking industries my older brother was President of one of the largest banks in Texas.  I remember that he would tell me often how challenging every day would be.  He had a passion for that type of work and hopefully you do also.

Have a great day Bussty.
2022-8-17
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-17 02:54
I was amazed to see that many of the harvesters now have air conditioning and satellite radios in them.  You do have to love how technology changes things.

Hang in there in your career endeavors as time will pass fast enough.  Speaking of banking industries my older brother was President of one of the largest banks in Texas.  I remember that he would tell me often how challenging every day would be.  He had a passion for that type of work and hopefully you do also.

Yes Covid has been a massive tech eye opener (why so many work from home now!)

As regulated as banking is your job is helping people to make that dream happen and when you do is a pretty special feeling so kind of hooked on it
2022-8-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-17 02:54

Hang in there in your career endeavors as time will pass fast enough.  Speaking of banking industries my older brother was President of one of the largest banks in Texas.  I remember that he would tell me often how challenging every day would be.  He had a passion for that type of work and hopefully you do also.

Did you see though that the tech in those tractors is getting hacked which could put off farmers from having it

https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/ ... oom-right-to-repair
2022-8-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 8-17 03:01
Yes Covid has been a massive tech eye opener (why so many work from home now!)

As regulated as banking is your job is helping people to make that dream happen and when you do is a pretty special feeling so kind of hooked on it

Sounds like you have a passion for the job.    I've always said you have to love what you do or change career paths.  
2022-8-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-17 03:40
Did you see though that the tech in those tractors is getting hacked which could put off farmers from having it

https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/15/23306650/def-con-hacker-john-deere-tractors-run-doom-right-to-repair

Yeah, that is sad to read that.  Although, that is similar to an article I read about more and more people's home internet of things getting hacked.  I guess anything connected to the internet can be hacked if you have the skills and equipment to do so.  
2022-8-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-17 04:06
Yeah, that is sad to read that.  Although, that is similar to an article I read about more and more people's home internet of things getting hacked.  I guess anything connected to the internet can be hacked if you have the skills and equipment to do so.

Indeed. but can you imagine if you could take control of X manufactures electric cars even if it was just enough control to turn them off.  
2022-8-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-17 04:12
Indeed. but can you imagine if you could take control of X manufactures electric cars even if it was just enough control to turn them off.

That could be a satisfying challenge.  
2022-8-17
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-17 03:59
Sounds like you have a passion for the job.    I've always said you have to love what you do or change career paths.

I totally agree with this
2022-8-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 8-17 12:02
I totally agree with this

Great minds do think alike.  
2022-8-17