Sony FE PZ 16-35mm f4 Compatability
2476 7 2022-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eponym
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Hey everyone! I was hoping someone just might know if the new Sony FE PZ 16-35mm works on the Ronin 4D? I see the much heavier Sony 16-35mm f2.8 is fully compatible, but I'm really hoping the power zoom function on this new lens works on the 4D and can be controlled by the grips. It's the only thing holding me back from investing into this system and I would hate to spend nearly $800 in rental fees just to figure this out myself. Please help!
2022-8-16
Use props
Eponym
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

To broaden the question - does anyone know of any power zoom lenses that can be manipulated with the 4D body? Worst case scenario, has anyone tried rigging the manual focus adapter to a zoom ring and trick the camera into zooming via the focus function?

My goal is to dolly zoom at f8 and focus breathing isn't much of an issue on this lens.
2022-8-17
Use props
TooDeep
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Eponym Posted at 8-17 11:30
To broaden the question - does anyone know of any power zoom lenses that can be manipulated with the 4D body? Worst case scenario, has anyone tried rigging the manual focus adapter to a zoom ring and trick the camera into zooming via the focus function?

My goal is to dolly zoom at f8 and focus breathing isn't much of an issue on this lens.

Not precisely what you're asking but I have a Sony PZ lens (18-105 f4), which is on the 4D's compatibility list (and the only Sony PZ that features) but I can't see how you would control the zoom function from the camera body. The lens gets enough power via the E-mount adapter because the zoom switch on the barrel works and it obviously power focuses but I've been using it more like a kind of infinitely variable fixed focal length. This gives me anything from 18mm to 105mm (effectively nearer 25mm to 148mm as it's a Super35 lens) without any need to rebalance. You've now got me thinking that there may be something I've missed and there will be a way to power the zoom from the body, especially since the E PZ 18-105 appears on the list without any caveat and it doesn't feel like a massive deal to have the 4D able to control it.
2022-8-20
Use props
TooDeep
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Not precisely what you're asking but I have a Sony PZ lens (18-105 f4), which is on the 4D's compatibility list (and the only Sony PZ that features) but I can't see how you would control the zoom function from the camera body. The lens gets enough power via the E-mount adapter because the zoom switch on the barrel works and it obviously power focuses but I've been using it more like a kind of infinitely variable fixed focal length. This gives me anything from 18mm to 105mm (effectively nearer 25mm to 148mm as it's a Super35 lens) without any need to rebalance. You've now got me thinking that there may be something I've missed and there will be a way to power the zoom from the body, especially since the E PZ 18-105 appears on the list without any caveat and it doesn't feel like a massive deal to have the 4D able to control it.
2022-8-20
Use props
Eponym
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for letting me know about another PZ lens. This simple oversight could probably be fixed with a firmware update, but I'm not holding my breath with DJI...

2022-8-25
Use props
TooDeep
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Eponym Posted at 8-25 07:18
Thanks for letting me know about another PZ lens. This simple oversight could probably be fixed with a firmware update, but I'm not holding my breath with DJI...
Hi there. sharpeleven apparently solved this with his (or her) PZ Sony lens, although he hasn't revealed how.
2022-9-15
Use props
KillerKingSSS
lvl.3
Mexico

Those lens are not in the list, yet... So I'm afraid the only way to find out would be to try it yourself.
2022-9-18
Use props
Peter Berglund
lvl.1

Sweden

Hi,

I have just updated to 01.04.0200, got a X9-E adapter and a Sony E PZ 18-105 F4GOSS in the belief to using this with my 4D. Well, first of all this new FW does NOT support motor zoom lenses as the E PZ lens. After a dialogue with DJI support it's clear that you need to have the external DJI focus motor and use that as a zoom motor with manual zoom lenses. It's unfortunate that DJI didn't include the functionality to control motor zoom lenses if you ask me.

Secondly I'm quite confused whether the FW inside the X9-E adapter is updated when you update the FW in 4D with the DJI Assistance tool, or if you need any other software and procedure to achieve that. Neither if any update is necessary or not to get everything to work properly. As it is now out of the box, it does work, but the AF is not working great. So I'm not sure whether this is SW bug in 4D, if the FW in the X9-E needs an update or if I need to do some lens calibration to fix my issues. The strange thing is that the AF does NOT work any better after a lens calibration at a specific zoom value, so I'm a bit lost.

As it is now it's not usable in the field as you can't rely on AF after reframing your shot with the zoom. But I might be doing something wrong, so any input regarding this topic is appreciated.

Thx!
/Peter
2023-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules