New Firmware Gimbal Removal & Travel Mode
2956 21 2015-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

So after updating all the firmware yesterday I was giving a presentation to a potential client and showing how the Inspire transforms itself into travel mode using the sensors to detect the ground in a similar way to how it operates internally without GPS using the senors to detect the ground.  Only problem was it wouldnt transpose to travel mode.  Tried switching off numerous times both aircraft and iPad.

I had previously removed the camera whilst the machine was switched off and then remembered one of the new update functions was to allow removal and installation of camera whilst the aircraft is powered on.  So installed camera then whilst aircraft was switched on I removed the camera and then it allowed itself to be commanded to enter the travel mode.

So just thought I would post that experience so you are aware that the aircraft needs to be kept on, remove camera/gimbal then enter travel mode, then power off.
Not sure if I am comfortable removing the camera/gimbal whilst it is still switched on though.

2015-8-6
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

i was under the impression you had to select enter travel mode in the app first which basically disconnects the connection to the camera while its powered on and you will see the gimble go limp, then and only then is it safe to remove the camera while its powered on and after removing the camera it should then move into travel mode.
2015-8-6
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is confusing enough that it would be good for DJI to make a video of this "feature".

I haven't found time to upgrade yet so I haven't tried any of this, but isn't there also an ability to put the Inspire into travel mode with the gimbal still attached? Not sure why you would want to do that -- doesn't make much sense to me.
2015-8-6
Use props
tapboxer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 824672 ft
United States

I thought it was to work in a way where once you enter travel mode, if you turn on aircraft and its in landing mode and camera in not mounted, it would lower itself automatically...and the same the other way, if in travel mode and camera is not mounted and when you turn on, it would lift to landing position... but i tried and it didn't'..

2015-8-6
Use props
holmegeir
New
Flight distance : 80512 ft
Norway

tapboxer@gmail. Posted at 2015-8-7 04:15
I thought it was to work in a way where once you enter travel mode, if you turn on aircraft and its  ...

Hi.
Did a test.
Remove: When in landingmode after use. Toggle the switch 4 times and it wil not go into travelmode. Remove the gimbal/camera still with power on and wait for a few seconds and it goes into travelmode. Works nice.

Mount:
Dont know whats new. From travelmode, toggled the swithc and it went into landingmode. Mounted the gimbal/camera with powen on. It started to adjust right away. Did not feel good. Adjusted a lot...

-gh
2015-8-6
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ok, When you get the aircraft out of the case its in full transformed mode.  You are simply unable to attach the camera in this mode.  You would need to exit travel mode then attach camera as has been the case from day one.

Today I removed the camera after powering down the aircraft.  When powering back up to enter travel mode it would not lower the ads into the lowest travel setting.  Even when toggling the landing gear switch it would not lower the landing gear.  

The only way to lower the landing gear was to attach the camera power up the aircraft then remove the camera whilst the aircraft was still on.  It would seem that eve toggling the landing gear  switch has now been removed.  Surely this feature should have sent the aircraft into its full travel mode lowering the arms.

One other feature i have noticed on the iOS app is in the Advanced settings "Smart Go Home"  anyone know what this actually is ?  I will raise a new thread on this question, but thought I would just tag it on here also.

2015-8-6
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-8-7 06:30
The only thing preventing attachment of the gimbal is the fact that the legs are raised and the bir ...

Paul, with respect this notch in a table is just plain stupid, and can see no reason for it.  

If the aircraft sits on the ground in travel mode it is physically impossible to attach the camera/ gimbal as there is insufficient clearance.  How often are you presented with a table on a remote location with a notch cut out of it to allow the camera to be fitted whilst in travel mode.

As for installing and removing camera whilst holding the aircraft, this is not exactly good practice and I see this only leading to damage.  In my opinion the aircraft should be on a stable platform or ground when installing the camera or removing it.
2015-8-7
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Update:

Powered up today exited travel mode and attached camera in normal way.  

Then powered down removed camera and entered travel mode just like I used to before the update, even tried to toggle the landing gear switch after removing the camera and this also works again now.

So not sure what was happening yesterday when I was presenting this to a client but it certainly didn't want to enter travel mode yesterday when I had removed the camera, as I had done many times previously.  It also would enter travel mode yesterday by toggling the landing gear switch.  Just to confirm also that the aircraft was sitting on a flat table top at the time so there should have been no problem with the surface as can happen.

Its seems today the aircraft has woke up with a different attitude and is doing what it should, so this is really bizarre.
2015-8-7
Use props
dave.encoremult
lvl.1

United States

I agree it seems dicey to remove the gimbal while the aircraft is on.  However, after updating my I1 today, I fell back on old habits and turned the aircraft off, then removed the gimbal and powered everything back on.  It went into travel mode just fine, like it always had.  Now, I'm confused???????
2015-8-7
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United States

What works for me.

Startup
1. Turn on TX
2. Connect gimbal
3. Hold I1 in the air and turn on (after a couple of seconds you should see the gimbal go limp)
4. Toggle TX switch 4 times (Landing gear will lower allow you to put the aircraft down)

Shut Down
1. Toggle TX switch 4 times (Gimbal goes limp)
2. Remove gimbal (after a few of seconds the I1 will try to enter travel mode)
3. Place the I1 on a level surface and it will go into travel mode
2015-8-7
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

dave.encoremult Posted at 2015-8-8 05:56
I agree it seems dicey to remove the gimbal while the aircraft is on.  However, after updating my I1 ...

Yes, thats exactly what happened with me.  

It was just somewhat embarrassing when I couldn't get the aircraft to transform into travel mode in front of a potential client.  After Installing and removing a few times it would now seem that it allows you to take off the camera in the same way as previously after you have powered down the aircraft.

As you say, somewhat peculiar.

2015-8-8
Use props
Tassiejeff
lvl.2
Flight distance : 137730 ft
Australia

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-8-7 03:30
i was under the impression you had to select enter travel mode in the app first which basically disc ...

Spot on. That's exactly how DJI explains it.
2015-8-8
Use props
Tassiejeff
lvl.2
Flight distance : 137730 ft
Australia

i was under the impression you had to select enter travel mode in the app first which basically disc ...

Spot on. That's exactly how DJI explains it.
2015-8-8
Use props
pandppurchase
lvl.3

Spain

Well done Sultan, simply put, works perfectly in practice and definitely no need for a table......
2015-8-8
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

pandppurchase@g Posted at 2015-8-9 01:53
Well done Sultan, simply put, works perfectly in practice and definitely no need for a table......

DJI product manager: "You see? There's no need for documentation. Users will blunder their way on the DJI forum to the right solution and document it for us!"

:-)
2015-8-8
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

pandppurchase@g Posted at 2015-8-9 01:53

thanks, the poster above who says toggling the switch 4 times will do the same thing and make the camera go limp is correct as well, but as ive seen many people saying that method does not work after update till you use the app to toggle it the first time is why i said to do it through the app as i figured thats why the OP was having the problem.
2015-8-8
Use props
pandppurchase
lvl.3

Spain

Abe Posted at 2015-8-9 02:44
DJI product manager: "You see? There's no need for documentation. Users will blunder their way on  ...

Correct Abe, blundering through the problems and coming up with a work around piece of chipboard with a chunk cut out of it, why didn't DJI think of that. In fact it should be included in the Sim App.....
lol :-)
2015-8-9
Use props
michael.carrie
lvl.2

France

I think I have found a solution. I'm NOT going to install the latest firmware. I assume there is no problem with this decision ??? Am quite happy with the way it works now....
2015-8-9
Use props
pandppurchase
lvl.3

Spain

michael.carrie Posted at 2015-8-9 19:44
I think I have found a solution. I'm NOT going to install the latest firmware. I assume there is no  ...

Mike, the latest update in regard to attaching and detaching the gimbal really does work effectively and in my view is a plus point in the firmware update. I've been using it for a few days now and works a treat.
2015-8-9
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Just to clarify my original post.  During my recent client presentation, I could not get the aircraft to enter travel mode after powering down and removing camera as was the way prior to the recent update.  After re-installing the camera then selecting travel mode with power to aircraft still on, I was then able to remove the camera with the power still on then enter travel mode.

However, I have now for some strange reason, been able to remove the camera/gimbal in the old way by powering down the aircraft then removing camera.  Must have just been a little glitch until you had successfully removed and installed the camera a few times.  

Abe,
You spot on though,  nice to see that the forum solves most issues.  Still think it would be better for DJI to release some update notices to the manual or even release a revised, updated manual with detailed instructions for the App.
2015-8-10
Use props
michael.carrie
lvl.2

France

pandppurchase@g Posted at 2015-8-10 06:01
Mike, the latest update in regard to attaching and detaching the gimbal really does work effective ...

Many thanks for that.I will now give it some consideration.....
2015-8-10
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

michael.carrie Posted at 2015-8-9 19:44
I think I have found a solution. I'm NOT going to install the latest firmware. I assume there is no  ...

Michael,

The update appears to work fine.  I have undertaken flight tests confirmed safety functions - return to home,  and all work fine.  The issue I raised with regard to removing and installing he camera also now seems to have gone so it must somehow require you to install and remove the camera a few times whilst putting into travel mode.

I can't see any reason why you would not update.  The only downside is the useless media interface now provided in the new revised iOS app.
2015-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules