3745 16 2022-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mm404
lvl.1
Flight distance : 120177 ft
United States

Hi,
What is the expected landing accuracy for Mini 3 Pro? My drone never lands in the same spot where it took from. The best I get is about 3-4ft from that spot but it's not unusual for it to land 6-10ft away.
My compass was calibrated and does not need calibrating. GPS shows about 17 or more satellites when it announces "Home point updated".

What is your experience with this drone? Is it supposed to come back to the exact spot? I previously had the Mavic Air 2S and it always landed on the spot, with a few inch accuracy.
2022-8-17
Use props
Wgander
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1195853 ft
United States

My Mini 3 lands within inches of take off spot.
2022-8-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there mm404. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. I hope that our fellow DJI Co Pilots can share there flight experiences and can give out the best information with regards to this matter. Thank you.
2022-8-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Your Air 2s had a Precision Landing Feature that uses optical technology to put the drone back where you launched.
Your Mini 3 doesn't and uses GPS alone, so has the same (in)accuracy that GPS has - +/- a metre or two.
No amount of recalibrating things will make a millimetre of difference.

But landing on the same spot is just a gimmick anyway.
If you really want your drone to land with precision, you can cancel the RTH and manually land it wherever you want.
2022-8-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-17 19:25
Hello there mm404. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. I hope that our fellow DJI Co Pilots can share there flight experiences and can give out the best information with regards to this matter. Thank you.

What sort of response is that?
Why can't DJI moderators give useful and accurate information about DJI products?
2022-8-18
Use props
mm404
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-18 00:33
Your Air 2s had a Precision Landing Feature that uses optical technology to put the drone back where you launched.
Your Mini 3 doesn't and uses GPS alone, so has the same (in)accuracy that GPS has - +/- a metre or two.
No amount of recalibrating things will make a millimetre of difference.

That explains it all, thank you. I really enjoyed the precision landing with Air 2S because I would take off from grassy areas off a rock or similar and it came back to the exact spot. Really just a convenience feature that I happened to like.
Do you know if the Mini3 Pro has the hardware needed for precision landing feature? I wonder if it will be added with some future firmware update. I received my Mini3 with the initial shipment wave and I remember the firmware it came with was an MVP at best and first upgrade brought it up to spec.
2022-8-18
Use props
mm404
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-18 00:35
Why can't DJI moderators give useful and accurate information about DJI products?

Lol, right?!?! I was thinking the same!
2022-8-18
Use props
Mat8861
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169400 ft
Italy

I found a bit difference with wind, but we talking few inches, best thing is use a landing pad, i saw it makes the difference if you want to land in the exact spot.
2022-8-18
Use props
mm404
lvl.1
United States

Mat8861 Posted at 8-18 04:56
I found a bit difference with wind, but we talking few inches, best thing is use a landing pad, i saw it makes the difference if you want to land in the exact spot.

I’ll try to use some makeshift landing pad just to see if it makes any difference here.
Are you in Canada? I know they imposed some really harsh regulations on drones there.
2022-8-18
Use props
Wbear
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28862 ft
United States

mm404 Posted at 8-18 05:01
I’ll try to use some makeshift landing pad just to see if it makes any difference here.
Are you in Canada? I know they imposed some really harsh regulations on drones there.

I have the same "issue" as you even with a nice new red/blue landing pad.
It's not that far off, GPS is doing it's best but it would be nice to hit the pad.
As suggested I manually land.
I too would like to know if the Mini 3 landing accuracy could be improved with a firmware update or it is what it is due to hardware?
2022-8-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mat8861 Posted at 8-18 04:56

best thing is use a landing pad, i saw it makes the difference if you want to land in the exact spot.
The Mini 3 is only using GPS to come back and land.
GPS cannot see your landing pad so it can't make any difference.
2022-8-18
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-18 00:35

We need actual technical people from DJI who can chime in on these forums.
It would be nice to get direct feedback from them, and know that they are more involved with our input and feedback.

2022-8-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mine landed about 3-4ft from the pad when i tested it yesterday.

As for the Staff here, as i have said before, they are media relations, nothing more, they will try to answer if its in the manual, if its not, the answer above its used or they will pass along information to the techs if required.
2022-8-18
Use props
djiuser_fyGp3xt33Xpr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 88593 ft
United States

Mine always lands in the exact spot. I’m in the uk.
I never launch now unless it says Strong GPS.
2022-8-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_fyGp3xt33Xpr Posted at 8-18 14:38

Now this, I would love to see

Neither of my Mini's can do this, however, my P4P can as that has Precision Landing, it will point the camera down and it will take a photo of the take off spot at 6m i think it is and then upon landing it will point the camera down and it will match that image to land pretty much (within inches give or take) in the same spot it took off from, i did once get the Mini 2 to land half on and half off the landing pad, only once mind, that was the closest it ever came and never matched it again, so i resorted to hand take off and landing. I tested the Mini 3 Pro yesterday and that is the same, around 3 or 4ft away from the H
2022-8-18
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

GPS always will have 0.5-1m accuracy. Is not like optical accuracy landing in order to take over and have cm in accuracy. So....you can have luck in landing and is resting on your landing pad, or can go 1 meter beyond landing pad.
I have heard rumors that Mini 3 will get optical accuracy, but we will see.
For now there are still things to solve in Mini 3 that are more important:
- ghosting in Dual Iso
- noise filter that blurs details
- focus unstable in close range.
2022-8-18
Use props
Mat8861
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169400 ft
Italy

djiuser_fyGp3xt33Xpr Posted at 8-18 14:38

Lucky like you, also mine lands in the same spot. Wait to have max satellite number, then i wait for the automatic home point update and whenever hit rth never miss the spot.
2022-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules