what kind of STUPIDITY is to reset all settings with the firmware...
1736 38 2022-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Bulgaria

What kind of !diots develop DJI's software????? Just tested the new firmware and when i got home i realised all the fu*ing settings were reset to defaults???? Why? And if so, why there is no warning to notify the user for this???? this is the most ridiculous thing i have seen. Not to mention still is not possible to set all the settings if not in flight. I just ruined one great 360 pano due to DJI's shortsightedness!!! It is really annoying and beyond ridiculous!!!!
2022-8-17
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

... but good to know...

Thank you for this information!
2022-8-17
Use props
Amit Dunsky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1083205 ft
Israel

That is exactly why I don't update firmware on the day it is announced.
Since the compass issue introduced with a firmware update, I've learned to hold and wait for early adopters to send their reviews.
dji will most likely publish a new update to tackle issues with the current firmware, so I'll just wait for a week or so before updating my currently-working-just-great mini 3.
2022-8-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Amit Dunsky Posted at 8-17 09:12
That is exactly why I don't update firmware on the day it is announced.
Since the compass issue introduced with a firmware update, I've learned to hold and wait for early adopters to send their reviews.
dji will most likely publish a new update to tackle issues with the current firmware, so I'll just wait for a week or so before updating my currently-working-just-great mini 3.

i agree it's always a good idea to wait at least 48 hours before updating.  often if there is a problem with the download itself, dji can pull the binary and/or replace it.  i believe you can upgrade and if you don't like it, downgrade your software so that might be a plus to minimize your risk.   ultimately it's always a good idea to take the upgrade in the long run and i wouldn't be surprised if one day the update is forced to some degree.
2022-8-17
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I never update same month for this very reason. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" policy.
Thanks for the heads up that I am doing it correctly. lol
2022-8-17
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You might also find that you have to calibrated the controller after a firmware.
This stuff is some of the quirks of own DJI stuff, there s little point in getting annoyed about it.
I doubt they will change anything and consequently you will get yourself all worked up for no reason and no gain.
2022-8-17
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Bulgaria

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-17 10:24
You might also find that you have to calibrated the controller after a firmware.
This stuff is some of the quirks of own DJI stuff, there s little point in getting annoyed about it.
I doubt they will change anything and consequently you will get yourself all worked up for no reason and no gain.

That is not true…since the first mini it’s the first time it happened… never I had to redo the settings after firmware update. Only on new drone. That is why I’m so p!ssed, as I was relying all was as I have set it up and it failed on me when I needed it. All was shot but useless…
2022-8-17
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oh well, strange I have seen it happen but that was sme time ago as I very rarely update so maybe things have change.
But it begs the question don't you check settings before your fly, especially after a major change in something?      

Just as a matter of interest, if it isn't automatic, did you reboot following the installation of the new firmware?

2022-8-17
Use props
Amit Dunsky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1083205 ft
Israel

The Saint Posted at 8-17 10:02
i agree it's always a good idea to wait at least 48 hours before updating.  often if there is a problem with the download itself, dji can pull the binary and/or replace it.  i believe you can upgrade and if you don't like it, downgrade your software so that might be a plus to minimize your risk.   ultimately it's always a good idea to take the upgrade in the long run and i wouldn't be surprised if one day the update is forced to some degree.

I use the dji RC. Don't think there's even a way of downgrading the app version.
But, I'm not in a hurry. I'm perfectly fine with the way my mini 3 is currently working. This update isn't force, so I don't mind waiting a week or two before installing the new firmware.
2022-8-17
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Bulgaria

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-17 12:20
Oh well, strange I have seen it happen but that was sme time ago as I very rarely update so maybe things have change.
But it begs the question don't you check settings before your fly, especially after a major change in something?      

It reboots automatically at least the drone, but so far it’s the first time since the mini 1 I had everything set to default. Usually I test all the functionality I care about if it works, but never things like of it saves raw, if hyperlapse is 1080p out of it it’s 264 or 265 d-cine like. As I don’t do that when u android or iPhone does upgrade the firmware, as it usually it is not needed….
2022-8-17
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Bulgaria

i agree it's always a good idea to wait at least 48 hours before updating.  often if there is a problem with the download itself, dji can pull the binary and/or replace it.  i believe you can upgrade and if you don't like it, downgrade your software so that might be a plus to minimize your risk.   ultimately it's always a good idea to take the upgrade in the long run and i wouldn't be surprised if one day the update is forced to some degree.

Thing is I wanted to check the updated 360 pano mode, so I did test it. The only thing I did not expect is to have all my settings reset…and it has never happened before after firmware upgrade. So no, it is not normal to test if it saves raw, if hyperlapse is 1080p out of it it’s 264 or 265 d-cine like. And that is really basic stuff that usual QA should have taken care of!
2022-8-17
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Bulgaria

Bob Brown Posted at 8-17 10:09
I never update same month for this very reason. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" policy.
Thanks for the heads up that I am doing it correctly. lol

Well I am also not keen to beta test software, so this is definitely not normal. And I’m not updating because of fixes, but because of new features like the 360 fill on sky. So I’m relying all the testing was done by DJI, and that is not the case. And resetting all settings is not normal nor an expected feature or bug…
2022-8-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

sbonev Posted at 8-17 13:19
Well I am also not keen to beta test software, so this is definitely not normal. And I’m not updating because of fixes, but because of new features like the 360 fill on sky. So I’m relying all the testing was done by DJI, and that is not the case. And resetting all settings is not normal nor an expected feature or bug…

Ever since Phantom 2 firmware updates have changed settings in most dji drones and many users will tell you it is normal to check settings after updating. Some FW doesn’t effect the settings others do. And yes it is normal and although many times before questions were asked , nothing ever changed.
2022-8-17
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Bulgaria

hallmark007 Posted at 8-17 13:37
Ever since Phantom 2 firmware updates have changed settings in most dji drones and many users will tell you it is normal to check settings after updating. Some FW doesn’t effect the settings others do. And yes it is normal and although many times before questions were asked , nothing ever changed.

since mini 1 in the past 2 years I have not had that reset to default even a single time, so I’m sorry but I don’t consider it normal. It never happened with the mini nor mini 2 and even the mini 3 couple of updates, hence my surprise. I don’t see why you try to justify some oversight on part of the incompetent software developers??? Such things should be tested even slightly…
2022-8-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

sbonev Posted at 8-17 13:47
since mini 1 in the past 2 years I have not had that reset to default even a single time, so I’m sorry but I don’t consider it normal. It never happened with the mini nor mini 2 and even the mini 3 couple of updates, hence my surprise. I don’t see why you try to justify some oversight on part of the incompetent software developers??? Such things should be tested even slightly…

It has happened with mini 2 and I also read it here, I tried to look for that thread but couldn’t find it. It doesn’t happen all the time as I said and this is why it’s advisable to check after FW updates. There are many threads on Mavic Pilots also many articles online. But its a fact settings should be checked after updates.

Yes Im sure they could do better, and they have become less, today there was an update particularly for panos I expect this had something to do with it resetting.
2022-8-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have read in the FW thread that it cannot be downgraded...
2022-8-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 8-17 14:31
It has happened with mini 2 and I also read it here, I tried to look for that thread but couldn’t find it. It doesn’t happen all the time as I said and this is why it’s advisable to check after FW updates. There are many threads on Mavic Pilots also many articles online. But its a fact settings should be checked after updates.

Yes Im sure they could do better, and they have become less, today there was an update particularly for panos I expect this had something to do with it resetting.

I do not remember this happening with my Mini 2, that being said, i haven't updated it since 501 or 600,  due to the later fw preventing  "special operations" so the reset could have happened since and i wouldnt know about it although i do not remember any thread regarding a reset of all settings.
2022-8-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Just tested the new firmware and when i got home i realised all the settings were reset to defaults????
You only just realised this?
It's always been this way for the 8 years that I've been flying DJI.

2022-8-17
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Bulgaria

Labroides Posted at 8-17 17:44
Just tested the new firmware and when i got home i realised all the settings were reset to defaults????
You only just realised this?
It's always been this way for the 8 years that I've been flying DJI.

I guess you are special case if it happens to you all the time. For me it did not happen with neither mini, mini 2 nor the first 2 firmware upgrade of the mini 3. Hence it is not normal and definitely not a feature, but a bug. Can’t explain it clearer, but I doubt you’ll get it anyway….
2022-8-17
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Bulgaria

hallmark007 Posted at 8-17 14:31
It has happened with mini 2 and I also read it here, I tried to look for that thread but couldn’t find it. It doesn’t happen all the time as I said and this is why it’s advisable to check after FW updates. There are many threads on Mavic Pilots also many articles online. But its a fact settings should be checked after updates.

If it happened once it does not mean it is normal, you realize that??? And changing the panos should not reset all other settings. It does not make any sense. And if I understand that all can happen, such things should be taken care before releasing to public, it is really unprofessional. Or at least they should make it aware by explicitly stating it. I don’t care if I have to set the settings again, but when they ruin some good shots and you cannot set them at home it’s really annoying.
2022-8-17
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287841 ft
Australia

Oh boo hoo........you could have re-allocated your settings in the time you spent replying to posts in this thread. Oh, how much time it is going to take you now to setup your drone again...........all but 2 mins....poor you......
2022-8-17
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Bulgaria

GLOBAL HAWK Posted at 8-17 23:04
Oh boo hoo........you could have re-allocated your settings in the time you spent replying to posts in this thread. Oh, how much time it is going to take you now to setup your drone again...........all but 2 mins....poor you......

It took me even less time to ignore your ramblings. And you can’t do all the settings on land, half of them are only available in flight. But I guess it’s easier to be “smart a..” online than to think.
2022-8-17
Use props
THE PRISONER
lvl.3
Flight distance : 890338 ft
United Kingdom

my settings stayed the same ? no changes or resets ? with all the random problems ive had with this mini 3 (that no one else seems to be having) its nice to NOT have (at least) one problem that all others are experiencing. this mini 3 pro is always doing its own thing im sure i got sent a "bespoke" prototype that is built differently ?  lol
2022-8-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Only raw appears to have been turned off for me.   Lets hope that with this upate that it remembers the last photo modes better between batteries.
2022-8-17
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Bulgaria

DAFlys Posted at 8-17 23:49
Only raw appears to have been turned off for me.   Lets hope that with this upate that it remembers the last photo modes better between batteries.

This only proves they have some issues with the update over the air. Mine had to update twice. The first time some didn’t restart single time and update was relatively fast  and was on after the update which seemed strange, but I switched it off to cool a bit before the flight. When I was about to fly it ran the update again, this time a lot slower and restarting couple of times.
2022-8-18
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Bulgaria

THE PRISONER Posted at 8-17 23:41
my settings stayed the same ? no changes or resets ? with all the random problems ive had with this mini 3 (that no one else seems to be having) its nice to NOT have (at least) one problem that all others are experiencing. this mini 3 pro is always doing its own thing im sure i got sent a "bespoke" prototype that is built differently ?  lol

Lucky you, well anyway I doubt dji will improve anything…
2022-8-18
Use props
THE PRISONER
lvl.3
Flight distance : 890338 ft
United Kingdom

sbonev Posted at 8-18 00:10
Lucky you, well anyway I doubt dji will improve anything…

i hear you ........... my confidence when flying has been lost since getting this mini 3 pro, bug after bug, its never ending !!!
2022-8-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sbonev Posted at 8-18 00:09
This only proves they have some issues with the update over the air. Mine had to update twice. The first time some didn’t restart single time and update was relatively fast  and was on after the update which seemed strange, but I switched it off to cool a bit before the flight. When I was about to fly it ran the update again, this time a lot slower and restarting couple of times.

That second update sounds like it was doing the batteries,   do you have more than one battery?
2022-8-18
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Bulgaria

DAFlys Posted at 8-18 00:17
That second update sounds like it was doing the batteries,   do you have more than one battery?

2 updates same battery. My suspicion is the first time did not update at all…there were a lot of errors trying to update, restarted the app and it went through, but I guess it was too fast to be real.
2022-8-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

sbonev Posted at 8-17 22:13
I guess you are special case if it happens to you all the time. For me it did not happen with neither mini, mini 2 nor the first 2 firmware upgrade of the mini 3. Hence it is not normal and definitely not a feature, but a bug. Can’t explain it clearer, but I doubt you’ll get it anyway….

I guess you are special case if it happens to you all the time.
Not just me.
That's how DJI updates work for everyone ... check next time you run an update.

I guess that you are a special case, not to have noticed.
2022-8-18
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Bulgaria

Labroides Posted at 8-18 00:23
I guess you are special case if it happens to you all the time.
Not just me.
That's how DJI updates work for everyone ... check next time you run an update.

I guess besides “special” you are not the brightest bulb out there, I think I mentioned numerous times that such thing has not happened to me with any previous firmware update on mini 3,2 ands 1. So definitely you are just blabbering  around and have no clue of what.
2022-8-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

sbonev Posted at 8-17 22:18
If it happened once it does not mean it is normal, you realize that??? And changing the panos should not reset all other settings. It does not make any sense. And if I understand that all can happen, such things should be taken care before releasing to public, it is really unprofessional. Or at least they should make it aware by explicitly stating it. I don’t care if I have to set the settings again, but when they ruin some good shots and you cannot set them at home it’s really annoying.

I think you have a point here, but being professional can go both ways, dji should advise users to re-check settings and users should always check their own settings and double check them if the shoot is important. Many many photographers will have their own story to tell about the time they spent the day shooting ISO 6400 because the last time they shot was at night etc….
2022-8-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bashy Posted at 8-17 15:50
I do not remember this happening with my Mini 2, that being said, i haven't updated it since 501 or 600,  due to the later fw preventing  "special operations" so the reset could have happened since and i wouldnt know about it although i do not remember any thread regarding a reset of all settings.

Many times FW will result in changes being made to settings. For instance this FW changed my settings from jpeg/raw to jpeg, I can see no other changes but I also am not 100% sure other changes have not occurred small ones can go unnoticed . But aside from all of that its pretty common for most users to check after FW for changes and also no harm in checking your camera settings before you go on any shoot .
2022-8-18
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Took me about 2 minutes to put all the settings back, no biggie. Pretty much all camera settings were reset in all modes, so it's worth going through all the camera modes and setting them back.

Nearly every DJI update is a 'roll the dice' on what it resets. I used to have to take screenshots of all my custom EXP/Brake settings when updating the Inspire/Phantom series, as they'd sometimes reset.
2022-8-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

sbonev Posted at 8-18 00:27
I guess besides “special” you are not the brightest bulb out there, I think I mentioned numerous times that such thing has not happened to me with any previous firmware update on mini 3,2 ands 1. So definitely you are just blabbering  around and have no clue of what.

I guess besides “special” you are not the brightest bulb out there.
And I don't have to guess to tell that you're an uninformed blowhard, whose knowledge of DJI drones isn't half as much as what you've convinced yourself.
2022-8-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 8-18 00:54
Many times FW will result in changes being made to settings. For instance this FW changed my settings from jpeg/raw to jpeg, I can see no other changes but I also am not 100% sure other changes have not occurred small ones can go unnoticed . But aside from all of that its pretty common for most users to check after FW for changes and also no harm in checking your camera settings before you go on any shoot .

I noticed that my button assignments had changed on this FW update.
2022-8-18
Use props
Mat8861
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169400 ft
Italy

Sometimes, like in any other electronic device if there is a change, most of the times the "config" file needs to be reset to default to avoid mismatch in commands.
It might be good to record wideo scrolling the various setup options, that's what i usually do,  anyway as someone said shouldn't be a big problem to reset it back to "personal config".
2022-8-18
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Bulgaria

Bashy Posted at 8-18 03:53
I noticed that my button assignments had changed on this FW update.

Thing is my button assignments are the same, they have not reset. That is part of why it never occurred to me the other settings might have changed…and it does not make sense why the hell the camera settings reset but not all of them…
2022-8-18
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Bulgaria

Labroides Posted at 8-18 02:13
I guess besides “special” you are not the brightest bulb out there.
And I don't have to guess to tell that you're an uninformed blowhard, whose knowledge of DJI drones isn't half as much as what you've convinced yourself.

Yep, you are the only one here that knows dji drones. I’m not sure it is possible to be so blinded by your own lack  of ingenuity… but I guess you are the real proof everything is possible even for the most challenged people…
2022-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules