Failed to install DJI fly app after trying many times
1461 11 2022-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jpneilso
lvl.1

Canada

Hello everyone, I just purchased a DJI mini se and I'm eager to get started.
I'm using an Alcatel 5002s smartphone with Android version 10.

I've tried downloading the app from the DJI download center. I opened it in the download section of my chrome browser. It starts installing and then suddenly states "App not installed."

This is extremely frustrating and I'm not sure what to do. I've deleted the APK, restarted my phone, and re-downloaded it, tried again, and the same thing happened. I allowed chrome and other apps to install unknown apps. I don't really know what to do from here.

I have some projects that I need to get started using this drone, it's a pretty huge let down that a large percentage of customers can't seem to get this app going.
2022-8-17
Use props
jpneilso
lvl.1

Canada

I'm currently debating whether to upgrade to android 12 and see if it works, or if I should try to install an older version of the fly app
2022-8-17
Use props
jpneilso
lvl.1

Canada

Not sure if this is going to work on my device, any suggestions on the likelihood of getting it working? I see that 32 bit android devices don't seem to work with the app but I'm pretty sure my phone is 64 bit.
2022-8-17
Use props
jpneilso
lvl.1

Canada

Phone specs are right here:

https://www.gsmarena.com/alcatel_1b_(2020)-10019.php
2022-8-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please try to uninstall and reinstall the app again for the last time to see if the issue persists? In addition, it seems that the mobile device that you are using is not listed on our recommended device list, kindly please try to use a compatible device and check if there are some changes. You may refer to the link below. Please keep us posted. Thank you for your understanding and support.

https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly
2022-8-17
Use props
jpneilso
lvl.1

Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-17 18:54
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please try to uninstall and reinstall the app again for the last time to see if the issue persists? In addition, it seems that the mobile device that you are using is not listed on our recommended device list, kindly please try to use a compatible device and check if there are some changes. You may refer to the link below. Please keep us posted. Thank you for your understanding and support.

https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly

I can't uninstall the app if it never installed in the first place. I've deleted the APK, re-downloaded it, and tried again. This problem is quite wide spread and  should be addressed properly. At the very least there needs to be better warnings that there's a high chance this drone app isn't going to work unless you have the specific phones listed, and are willing to dance around the lack of google play support.

I'm looking at phones/tablets on your recommended list and I see that people are still posting about having issues even with some of those phones.  Not going to lie that this is a very frustrating and disappointing experience. The recommended list is an extremely small percentage of android phones, the support and general quality control for android users is a huge red flag for potential buyers out there. Most of these recommended devices cost about as much as the drone I'm trying to use.

2022-8-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

jpneilso Posted at 8-17 19:06
I can't uninstall the app if it never installed in the first place. I've deleted the APK, re-downloaded it, and tried again. This problem is quite wide spread and  should be addressed properly. At the very least there needs to be better warnings that there's a high chance this drone app isn't going to work unless you have the specific phones listed, and are willing to dance around the lack of google play support.

I'm looking at phones/tablets on your recommended list and I see that people are still posting about having issues even with some of those phones.  Not going to lie that this is a very frustrating and disappointing experience. The recommended list is an extremely small percentage of android phones, the support and general quality control for android users is a huge red flag for potential buyers out there. Most of these recommended devices cost about as much as the drone I'm trying to use.

Please also try to go to the mobile phone’s "System Settings" and find "Installing an Unknown Application". Enable the "Allow application installation from this source" switch. And install the app from the file manager. Please make sure that the mobile phone’s internal storage, and clear cache. The remaining memory must be greater than 2GB. If the issue persists, you may need to use another device.

The phone listed on the recommended device list is compatible with DJI Fly app, there was an issue previously after an update of Android, it has now been fixed.
There are many Android devices in the market, we may not be able to test out every phone. A phone that is not listed on the list does not mean it can not work with DJI Fly app, if you are able to test the device before buying it, you can try it out as well, however, we may suggest getting a recommended mobile device so the performance can be assured.
2022-8-18
Use props
jpneilso
lvl.1

Canada

This has been a ridiculous experience, I guess my new drone just got twice as expensive. The marketing says "works with phones with Android 6+" when in reality it works well on a small percentage of those phones. I have to now buy another device and there's many posts on the internet about how even those devices struggle with these apps. Am I going to have to buy a $300 phone or tablet just to get even more problems? Is the next update going to not work with the phone anyways?

The reliability of this app is atrocious, buyer beware.
2022-8-18
Use props
jpneilso
lvl.1

Canada

What a joke and a new version of the DJI fly app comes right after I buy a new drone with an even smaller selection of compatible devices:

"Android V 1.6.12

Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S21,Samsung Galaxy S20,Samsung Galaxy S10+,Samsung Galaxy S10,Samsung Galaxy Note20,Samsung Galaxy Note10+ ,Samsung Galaxy Note9,HUAWEI Mate40 Pro,HUAWEI Mate30 Pro,HUAWEI P40 Pro,HUAWEI P30 Pro,HUAWEI P30,Honor 50 Pro,Mi 11,Mi 10,Mi MIX 4,Redmi Note 10,OPPO Find X3,OPPO Reno 4,vivo NEX 3,OnePlus 9 Pro,OnePlus 9,Pixel 6,Pixel 4,Pixel 3 XL"

This is beyond frustrating, and from what I can tell people continue to have issues even with the recommended or compatible devices.
2022-8-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

jpneilso Posted at 8-18 10:15
What a joke and a new version of the DJI fly app comes right after I buy a new drone with an even smaller selection of compatible devices:

"Android V 1.6.12

Hi, there. We are greatly sorry to hear about that. Just for double checks, may we know if you can reinstall the APP successfully by following the steps above? Besides, we have also sent you a link of the related tutorial video. You may have a check. Thank you.
2022-8-18
Use props
Andrew of Ranfurly
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9698 ft

United Kingdom

I got here in 2023 trying to update DJI Fly Android app.
I fixed it for me, it was lack of storage space.
First I checked the app had allow unknown app set up, then cleared cache.
The app takes up about 3GB which is a lot of space, but to do the upgrade the phone needs 6GB of free space and my phone didn't have that.
I moved the app to the SD card and the update went through perfectly first time as the SD card had plenty of space.
2023-1-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Andrew of Ranfurly Posted at 1-28 05:44
I got here in 2023 trying to update DJI Fly Android app.
I fixed it for me, it was lack of storage space.
First I checked the app had allow unknown app set up, then cleared cache.

Thanks for sharing your experience and solution here. We believe it will help other users here. If there is anything we can help you with, please feel free to contact us.
2023-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules