1773 17 2022-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Here is a Range test on the DJI RC v the RC Pro on the Mini 3 and the RC beat the Pro by about 100 m !

2022-8-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Bigplumbs. Good day and thank you for sharing this video with us. Again, thank you for your support and have a nice day.
2022-8-19
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6260935 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting. I don't have both controllers, but the dedicated RC is working well for me.
2022-8-19
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

accidentally i think
2022-8-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing but, I cannot take this test seriously because neither RC's were pointing at the drone itself ...

...but lets get serious just for a moment, at 1500m and at 120m height, the angle from horizon to drone is only 4 degrees.
For a start he was only at 100m high so the angle would be even lower than 4 degrees, his RC's were at a much higher angle than that, he would have had better luck controlling the ISS me thinks.

The trajectory for both flights was not identical either. Granted, it wasn't off but a vast amount but who knows what extra interference might there be along that path, or not, might even be less so the RC Pro may even be worse than the test shows.

Also, if he did the test 2 or 3 times, it would have had a different distance every time for both RC's too.
Had he let them go until disconnect but had crawled once in the red then that distance could be used.

Then there's the issue of not using the Flight Attitude Radar, its imperative for any range test, no matter how good you think you are at a perfect alignment, you're not, lets say you're 3 degrees off at 500m, imagine what that would be like at 1500m, the further away from the home point that angle of 3 degrees moves further away from the drone.

To be excited that the DJI RC achieved 100m more is a tad premature i think. Certainly jumping the gun. Once the above is put into place and another test is performed then that would be a more of a solid outcome.

Its also not my opinion either, its fact

What is my opinion though, it should have been 100% rural, there are too many interference variables when in an urban setting, it will skew the results every time.
2022-8-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-19 01:29
Thanks for sharing but, I cannot take this test seriously because neither RC's were pointing at the drone itself ...

...but lets get serious just for a moment, at 1500m and at 120m height, the angle from horizon to drone is only 4 degrees.

Bashy, my unofficial test results were totally different than those obtained in the video.  I got just over 1700 meters using RC before first red bar and over 2700 meters using RC Pro before first red bar.  Both flights were back to back in same rural location using fully charged extended batteries.  On both flights I used the flight attitude radar to try and keep best alignment.  Doubters will say it was a fluke but I was able to duplicate the results twice.

Just wanted to share my results showing RC Pro is significantly better with signal connectivity than the cheaper RC.  
2022-8-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-19 03:13
Bashy, my unofficial test results were totally different than those obtained in the video.  I got just over 1700 meters using RC before first red bar and over 2700 meters using RC Pro before first red bar.  Both flights were back to back in same rural location using fully charged extended batteries.  On both flights I used the flight attitude radar to try and keep best alignment.  Doubters will say it was a fluke but I was able to duplicate the results twice.

Just wanted to share my results showing RC Pro is significantly better with signal connectivity than the cheaper RC.

Thank you, thats more like it, thats what i would expect from what i have read about the RC Pro.
2022-8-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-19 06:10
Thank you, thats more like it, thats what i would expect from what i have read about the RC Pro.

You're very welcome Bashy.    Have a great weekend.
2022-8-19
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 8-19 06:10

So you believe just words rather than an actual video
2022-8-19
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27904331 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Bigplumbs Posted at 8-19 21:31

I personally believe what I see here and can test myself...
I have both controllers (RC and RC Pro), both drones (M3 and Mini3Pro), and I see huge benefits with the DJI RC Pro!  
Using the RC Pro, the range of both drones is roughly doubled!
2022-8-19
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Bashy Posted at 8-19 01:29

...but lets get serious just for a moment, at 1500m and at 120m height, the angle from horizon to drone is only 4 degrees.

Very clever argument!   
2022-8-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 8-19 21:31

Well, considering the words came from user of the RC Pro and have no reason to lie, i generally take people at face value unless given reasons to doubt.

And when i see a video test that's not really scientifically created then yes, i will believe what others have said over what i can see, this video shows my nothing that's legitimate other than 2 drones reaching the same (ish) distance, that's all you can really take from it due to the reasons i gave above.

I don't have the RC Pro and i really don't think i will get one now. I wont rule it out mind, if i do get the Air 2s in the future then i will probably reconsider. With that in mind, i have to go with what i have seen and read and just in this thread alone, folks have stated that their RC Pro is better, i cannot see any reason they would want to lie about that?
2022-8-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 8-19 23:20
Very clever argument!

I am a big believer in decent range where its stated, so i like to test it myself and then that will be that, no need to try it again (i still need to do an FCC test mind) When i do the proper range testing, its always over 100% rural, after all, that is the basis of the 8km CE and 12km FCC. I always aim for the exact same heading, this being a line of trees, i keep to the side of them and i know I'm on the right heading. The height is also always the same, as is the holding of the RC and i always use the radar, its imperative for any distance testing.

What i will also do is this, once the signal bars drop to 2 i will be constantly micro adjusting and watching the bars because whilst the radar will show what you need to know, its not infallible because there is no vertical alignment.

Also, knowing that at 1500m and at 120m high, the angle is only 4 degrees off the horizon, one will need to hold the DJI RC and N1 flat, certainly once you pass the 2km mark, obviously that's not the case with externally adjustable antennas but the video clearly shows that BOTH RC antennas were at different angles, whilst its not a vast amount, believe me when i say just a millimeter adjustment can throw the signal some.

In the video the RC Pro antennas should have been pointing straight up and the RC held comfortably. Whilst the DJI RC must be held flat once the drone is out there. That right there is a strong base for the test. Thats why this test was flawed from the get go.

Another important factor is that both RC's should be properly calibrated so that the RC indicator on the Radar is green when pointing at the AC, but not just that, it has to be equal, what i mean is, i have noticed that it can be green more to the left or to the right, so this has to be central, once thats done, stick in a fresh battery and send it lol This paragraph is only for what should be done cause it wasn't use din the video, another flaw.
2022-8-19
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I had great weather today and tested the Mini 3 with the RC Pro and my range beat what the Mini RC got which was 6km by 2.7km. Flight 1 way was 8.7km
2022-8-20
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Bashy Posted at 8-19 23:55
I am a big believer in decent range where its stated, so i like to test it myself and then that will be that, no need to try it again (i still need to do an FCC test mind) When i do the proper range testing, its always over 100% rural, after all, that is the basis of the 8km CE and 12km FCC. I always aim for the exact same heading, this being a line of trees, i keep to the side of them and i know I'm on the right heading. The height is also always the same, as is the holding of the RC and i always use the radar, its imperative for any distance testing.

What i will also do is this, once the signal bars drop to 2 i will be constantly micro adjusting and watching the bars because whilst the radar will show what you need to know, its not infallible because there is no vertical alignment.

2022-8-20
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 8-20 01:11
I had great weather today and tested the Mini 3 with the RC Pro and my range beat what the Mini RC got which was 6km by 2.7km. Flight 1 way was 8.7km

If you got that far with the DJI Rc I would not care about the extra with the RCPro
2022-8-20
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Bigplumbs Posted at 8-20 21:16
If you got that far with the DJI Rc I would not care about the extra with the RCPro

With the Dji Rc I got 6km while still in CE mode. Now my RC Pro has the FCC Hack in it. I am sure given a clear straight flight, I can get much much more.
2022-8-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting to see!
2022-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now