Firmware update: a nightmare
1078 9 2022-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mat8861
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169400 ft
Italy

Following the latest rumors for the firmware update, this morning i set up my refreshed firmware update station and updated to 01.00.300, all went fine. Put everything back, changed battery to a charged one, almost ready to fly and... i checked firmware if it was ok, NOOO !! Again firmware update, this time it started at 70% being a battery "update". Drone become pretty warm and in my mind sounded a voice "temperature reduce lifespan of electronic components", so got again the refreshed station setup and completed update of the other 3 batteries. What a nightmare !!
My advice to beginners: check always that your batteries are synced with drone firmware version, as i didn't get a warning to update the battery.
2022-8-19
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's an annoyance, but each battery needs to be updated.  I had three to do
2022-8-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

A bit of a pain you experienced.  I always make it a habit to update each battery following a firmware update just in case it is needed.  2nd-5th battery updates are relatively fast compared to initial drone and battery update.
2022-8-19
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-19 02:58
A bit of a pain you experienced.  I always make it a habit to update each battery following a firmware update just in case it is needed.  2nd-5th battery updates are relatively fast compared to initial drone and battery update.

2nd battery on, the update started at 70%. Was yours the same as well?
2022-8-19
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

for comparison, the autel nano has to update the firmware in each and every battery as well. so it's not just the dji.   that's the price we pay for having intelligent batteries.  previously on the autel you had to reflash the entire drone/battery starting a 0%.  fortunately for the most recent update, the battery upgrade completes in under a minute.  not sure of the timing for the dji.  while battery sw updates are not always required, when there is one it seems like it is mandatory before you can fly but that could be hit or miss, too.  we are unique, we have lots of batteries.  the real nightmare is sw update when you own a dozen drones w/multiple batteries.  like mobile phones, one day you will have the option to perform sw update will download when connected and install overnight or similar.
2022-8-19
Use props
SpectreOne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 79659 ft
United States

Thanks for the heads up everyone. I am new to the drone world and was unaware of the battery firmware sync. I am going to fly this afternoon and probably need to sync my other battery before I plan to leave.
2022-8-19
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

One thing I did not know: tried to update my batteries and 2 of the 5 seemed to need no update. Both had only one LED capacity left. Charged them up to about 60% and THEN they accepted the update.

So batteries need to have a minimum charge to get updated.
2022-8-19
Use props
Mat8861
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169400 ft
Italy

SeehawerB Posted at 8-19 08:36
One thing I did not know: tried to update my batteries and 2 of the 5 seemed to need no update. Both had only one LED capacity left. Charged them up to about 60% and THEN they accepted the update.

So batteries need to have a minimum charge to get updated.

Another good thing to know
2022-8-19
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you read the original firmware update thread, you would have known all this. Its no big deal. Less moaning, more flying, enjoy your updated Mini 3 pro.
2022-8-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Beta5K Posted at 8-19 06:30
2nd battery on, the update started at 70%. Was yours the same as well?

I think it started at 67% but could have been 70%.  I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to know exactly.  
2022-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules