Clips on battery pack broke off (Mini 3 Pro)
123Next >
9833 112 2022-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AndrewRH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2157864 ft
United Kingdom

I bought the DJI Mini 3 Pro a month ago as well as the extra pack with 2 more batteries. One of the batteries was defective: its clips broke. A clip on one side came completely off; the clip on the other side has a crack, so it too will come off imminently.
(The clips are what you press to get it to come out of the drone or the 3-pack charger).

Can this be investigated and repaired/replaced under warranty, please?

Thank you,

~Andrew~

2022-8-20
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As it's only three months old it is surely under warranty. Did you opt for care refresh as well?  Raise a claim with DJI support - it should be straightforward.
2022-8-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If it's a warranty issue care refresh need not be used. It's a manufacturing fault.
It might be a good idea to post good photo's of the crack in the remaining catch and the break in the other catch, so that others have reference material concernignwhat to check for!
2022-8-20
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

I do worry about the clips on the batteries there seems to be no stop and no indicator as to when they have released from the drone or the charger I think we will be seeing more and more issues around this. When removing from the drone you sometimes have to give them a good pull not knowing if it's just tight or if the clips haven't released properly. Not sure how you fix short of clip redesign.
2022-8-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

On the other hand I would worry about the clips for precisely the same reason  as stated above i.e. "not knowing if it's just tight or if the clips haven't released properly.".
If difficulty in removing the battery is due to improperly released clips then the battery may be loose if hte clips are broken and if so could come out in flight.
If it is thought that improperly released clips are one reason for difficulty in removinng a battery then, might pushing the battery into the drone whilst depressing the clips, remove the 'pressure' from the clips and therebyallow them do disengage properly?
2022-8-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there ~Andrew~. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since we are having this issue with one of your DJI Mini 3 Pro's intelligent flight battery. I would recommend for your to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We will do our best to help you and give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2022-8-20
Use props
AndrewRH
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-20 19:26
Hello there ~Andrew~. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since we are having this issue with one of your DJI Mini 3 Pro's intelligent flight battery. I would recommend for your to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We will do our best to help you and give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.

Thank you for these reolies. I went to the DJI website but amongst all the buttons i wasnt sure which one opens an email to customer support about batteries (vs sending the drone back).
One of the links took me to a page that asked which model drone i had, and the mini 3 pro was not listed as an option.
Hence posting here in forum.
~Andrew~
Screenshot_20220821-100711_Edge.jpg
2022-8-21
Use props
Mat8861
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169400 ft
Italy

Did you check under Mavic ?  Like in the forum :   Home / Products / Mavic / DJI Mini 3 Pro  it might be there.
2022-8-21
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Did you click the link? Then under Mini. There is a contact support section.
2022-8-21
Use props
AndrewRH
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-21 08:43
Did you click the link? Then under Mini. There is a contact support section.

I didn't know Mini and Mavic were the same thing. Newbie to DJI. Maybe a specific entry needs to be there? Will go look now as suggested. Thanks.

Update: found a link at bottom of one of the pages that took me to email page. Not eay to find but got there in the end. Thanks again!
2022-8-21
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-20 14:03
If it's a warranty issue care refresh need not be used. It's a manufacturing fault.
It might be a good idea to post good photo's of the crack in the remaining catch and the break in the other catch, so that others have reference material concernignwhat to check for!

I too think it would be beneficial to see some photos of the battery clips that have failed.
2022-8-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

AndrewRH Posted at 8-21 09:17
I didn't know Mini and Mavic were the same thing. Newbie to DJI. Maybe a specific entry needs to be there? Will go look now as suggested. Thanks.

Update: found a link at bottom of one of the pages that took me to email page. Not eay to find but got there in the end. Thanks again!

Hi there AndrewRH. Thank you for the reply and for this given information. It is great to know that you were able contact our DJI Support Team. If you have any other concerns or any inquiries with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and assist you. Thank you.
2022-8-21
Use props
AndrewRH
lvl.2
United Kingdom

A pleasant person in dji support has arranged for the return of the battery for investigation and repair/replacement.

I've attached here a screenshot of the message sent to them with photos for reference (my attempt at gluing the clips back on didn't work - new cracks appeared!).
Screenshot_20220827-101432_Gmail.jpg
2022-8-27
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you have the flight logs, more then one battery and perhaps the charging hub, it would be interesting to count or work out how many times the/each battery has been inserted into and removed from the drone and thereby the number of times the catch has been depressed. You could do that by uploading the logs to Airdata, possibly in sequential batches, and then, in sequence look at the serial number of the battery used in each flight and or the charge count and keep a running total of how many times each battery was changed.
If you have the charging hub are the clips depressed during insertion and removal from the hub?

If you are inclined to do that copy the logs to your computer before you upload them to airdata just so you have a backup incase something goes wrong.
2022-8-27
Use props
AndrewRH
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-27 02:12
If you have the flight logs, more then one battery and perhaps the charging hub, it would be interesting to count or work out how many times the/each battery has been inserted into and removed from the drone and thereby the number of times the catch has been depressed. You could do that by uploading the logs to Airdata, possibly in sequential batches, and then, in sequence look at the serial number of the battery used in each flight and or the charge count and keep a running total of how many times each battery was changed.
If you have the charging hub are the clips depressed during insertion and removal from the hub?

That is a good idea. Alas i have boxed up the battery for return now. Ill see if i can work out its info given the other 2 batteries i got with the charging dock.
2022-8-27
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The records (flight logs) needed are, or should be, already on your phone/DJI RC......unless you have deleted them.
You might like to have a look at
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
for instructions on how to access the logs on a phone. Once you see them, or their containing folder, they can be simply copied to computer via the normal method for your phone/computer combination.

If you use the DJI RC you might like to have a look at https://mavicpilots.com/threads/how-to-copy-txt-flight-logs-from-dji-rc-remote-controller.127069/ I don't know if there is an alternative method.
I assume an insertion and removal of a battery from the drone will entail two depressings of the catch, the insertion one being automated and the removal one being manual. I do not know about the hub.
2022-8-27
Use props
AndrewRH
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Turns out that DJI refuses to replace the defective battery.
They tell me that because it has liquid damage (the dry glue to try to fix problem) that they will not undertake any warranty work.
2022-9-7
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 233064 ft
United Kingdom

good to know.  i will ensure i keep an eye on removing and inserting batteries from now on and check for any cracks.  not good really but at least it's not the drone that has to be shipped off.
2022-9-7
Use props
AndrewRH
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I find this behaviour from DJI unacceptable. They are in breach of UK consumer protection law. The fault was with the product not due to anything on my part. A reputable company would fix it under warranty.
They instead sent me a quote for a new battery. Their support chat refused to accept their obligations under law.
2022-9-7
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

AndrewRH Posted at 9-7 07:09
Turns out that DJI refuses to replace the defective battery.
They tell me that because it has liquid damage (the dry glue to try to fix problem) that they will not undertake any warranty work.

if you used superglue you can actually get superglue remover, would that help perhaps?  it's a bit early for them to throw you a quotation for a new battery without actually seeing the battery in person.  best not try to fix in future and let warranty kick in
2022-9-7
Use props
AndrewRH
lvl.2
United Kingdom

They have the battery at their service centre. The quotation is the "repair" of the battery by getting me to buy a new one from their repair centre.

The UK Consumer Rights Act 2015 law is quite clear; so intend to pursue through retailer where I purchased it (Amazon).
2022-9-7
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I feel for you, but in the end the Superglue breeched their warranty. A good lesson for everyone moving forward.
2022-9-7
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

I don't blame him for trying to fix what broke. Naturally that's something we try to do if something is broken.
Where is their case on the superglue voiding the warranty? I haven't looked, but is there some clause regarding tampering or something?
2022-9-7
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Beta5K Posted at 9-7 08:47
I don't blame him for trying to fix what broke. Naturally that's something we try to do if something is broken.
Where is their case on the superglue voiding the warranty? I haven't looked, but is there some clause regarding tampering or something?

very wooly
2022-9-7
Use props
djiuser_JPW2tYifgQXB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 239429 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-20 19:26
Hello there ~Andrew~. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since we are having this issue with one of your DJI Mini 3 Pro's intelligent flight battery. I would recommend for your to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We will do our best to help you and give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.

Sadly this has happened to my battery today removing from the hub.

What is the process to have this replaced?

2022-9-19
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

Sadly I think we are going to see this a lot. There's no stop on those clips and the batteries are quite firm in the drone so you just don't know if the battery is catching or if you have pushed the clips in far enough so you try harder. Being reliant on bending plastic that clip is only going to take so much repetitive pressure and they are breaking in the same weakest place. This is a design issue for DJI and they could be getting a lot of batteries sent back...
2022-9-19
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

djiuser_JPW2tYifgQXB Posted at 9-19 12:07

Well first thing would be not to try to glue and fix it yourself.
Submit a ticket with DJI.
2022-9-19
Use props
Sand1man
lvl.1

United States

Sorry to hear about your battery!  The battery casing clips are horrible, almost seems to be designed to fail.  I wonder "If" they would have replaced it at all???  The policy has some wonderful vague language in places !!!
2022-9-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

djiuser_JPW2tYifgQXB Posted at 9-19 12:07

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this photo about the issue. It would be best to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2022-9-19
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Beta5K Posted at 9-19 14:51
Well first thing would be not to try to glue and fix it yourself.
Submit a ticket with DJI.

That will void your warranty.  I wouldnt really want to glue a battery for a product thats practically new
2022-9-19
Use props
djiuser_JPW2tYifgQXB
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-19 21:08
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this photo about the issue. It would be best to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.

I would suggest everyone check their batteries.

I found this on the other clip, hairline crack which is only visible when the clip is pressed down.

2022-9-20
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_JPW2tYifgQXB Posted at 9-20 05:35

I found this on the other clip, hairline crack which is only visible when the clip is pressed down.

Are you going for a replacement?
2022-9-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

djiuser_JPW2tYifgQXB Posted at 9-20 05:35

I found this on the other clip, hairline crack which is only visible when the clip is pressed down.

Hi there. I am sorry to read and to know about this issue and thank you for reaching out. Since these is a stress crack on your DJI Mini 3 Pro's intelligent battery. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for us to be able to help you with this matter. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2022-9-20
Use props
djiuser_JPW2tYifgQXB
lvl.2
United Kingdom

chillibadger Posted at 9-20 08:52
Are you going for a replacement?

Yes just starting the process now.
2022-9-21
Use props
djiuser_JPW2tYifgQXB
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-20 21:55
Hi there. I am sorry to read and to know about this issue and thank you for reaching out. Since these is a stress crack on your DJI Mini 3 Pro's intelligent battery. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for us to be able to help you with this matter. Again, I am sorry and thank you.

So DJI I telling me that I need to pay for the battery.

So everyone who has this damage to their batteries like this after 2 months of use - DJI  are stating that it is not covered by warranty.

Bloody joke by DJI - clearly my battery has not had any physical damage other than the crack on the release clip.

Remark
NO WARRANTY: Physical damage. No liquid damage. Intelligent Flight Battery damaged.
2022-9-28
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DJI this is not cool. There is no stop behind that clip and no way of the user to know if the battery is disengaged before pulling it out. Just so you know if anybody in New Zealand experiences this the Consumer Guarantees Act would see this as a fault and you would need to cover. You really need to do the right thing here and  I also suggest a redesign of the battery as I can see eventually this happening to a lot of users.
2022-9-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

djiuser_JPW2tYifgQXB Posted at 9-28 09:15
So DJI I telling me that I need to pay for the battery.

So everyone who has this damage to their batteries like this after 2 months of use - DJI  are stating that it is not covered by warranty.

Hi, there.
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.
We will check your case and reply to you here asap.
Thank you.
2022-9-28
Use props
djiuser_JPW2tYifgQXB
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 9-28 17:10
Hi, there.
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.
We will check your case and reply to you here asap.

This situation is very stupid.

There is no physical damage to that battery, the only thing broken is the clip which is used to release the battery from the drone or charging hub - how else would that clip break?

It has clearly broken in normal use of removing the battery from the Mini 3, which means it is a manufacturing defect.

If I cannot get this resolved through DJI, I will just send the drone and battery back to Amazon for refund, as it is still within the return period with them.

My case number is   CAS-10588140-N7Y1Z9
2022-9-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

djiuser_JPW2tYifgQXB Posted at 9-29 03:49
This situation is very stupid.

There is no physical damage to that battery, the only thing broken is the clip which is used to release the battery from the drone or charging hub - how else would that clip break?

Thanks for the update.
We will contact them to check this problem and reply to you asap.
2022-9-29
Use props
djiuser_MjmhuB81id5e
New
Australia

Oh no not good my dji battery clip fell off in hand today ... is it worth contacting dji or not this is so annoying as it's only 2 months old....
2022-10-15
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules