Clips on battery pack broke off (Mini 3 Pro)
123Next >
9813 112 2022-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_JPW2tYifgQXB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 239429 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_MjmhuB81id5e Posted at 10-15 14:34
Oh no not good my dji battery clip fell off in hand today ... is it worth contacting dji or not this is so annoying as it's only 2 months old....

Well after some back and throw with DJI - they agreed to replace my battery as goodwill gesture, so I am happy the battery was replaced, but not happy that they did not accept that it is clearly a manufacturing defect.

I suppose if more and more people start having the same issue, then they will have to change their attitude and do something about it.
2022-10-16
Use props
Andreja
lvl.4
Flight distance : 864961 ft
Germany

Well, looks like I'm joining the bad battery clips club.
Apparently the battery has 6 cycles on it, and the clips are cracking. The other 3 batteries I use look fine, altough they have same amount of wear on them.

2022-10-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have just checked mine and all 3 are ok, I did notice how I remove them and I do not depress any further than is needed to release them but I can see how easy it is to push them too far and this is NOT the consumer's fault, this is 100% a design oversight and the onus is squarely on DJI to honour their warranty.

That said, regarding djiuser_JPW2tYifgQXB and the super glue, you are lucky that they decided to replace it in the end, you should never try to repair something before the warranty is up, but a good result nonetheless.

I will undoubtedly check mine periodically right up till the warranty runs out
2022-10-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My plus battery finally failed too,   but sadly as im in the UK there is no warranty.  
2023-1-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys, since your's is bust you can experiment in safety, can you work out if it would it be possible to thread some strong thread under the catch and drag something that was sticky on one side under the catch that could then be stuck to either the battery innards or the inside of the catch and act as a 'depression'/travel limiter?  
I am thinking of something like one of those stick on rubber feet etc..
It might be possible to attach a second thread to the adhesive cover and peel that cover off when the foot is in situ.
2023-1-4
Use props
fans21f46d12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 129514 ft
United States

The point at which the clip joins the body of the battery is not very robust.  Flexing can result in breakage
2023-1-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans21f46d12 Posted at 1-4 05:54
The point at which the clip joins the body of the battery is not very robust.  Flexing can result in breakage

It MUST be flexed to fit and remove the battery, I suspect the problems with early failure are due to excess flex but I would have thought it would have been sensible for DJI to 'build in' travel limiters.
2023-1-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-4 05:47
DAFlys, since your's is bust you can experiment in safety, can you work out if it would it be possible to thread some strong thread under the catch and drag something that was sticky on one side under the catch that could then be stuck to either the battery innards or the inside of the catch and act as a 'depression'/travel limiter?  
I am thinking of something like one of those stick on rubber feet etc..
It might be possible to attach a second thread to the adhesive cover and peel that cover off when the foot is in situ.

I had planned to put some foam behind the clips to push them out and then glue the clip to the foam and the foam to the battery but I lost the clip inflight I think.   It wasnt at my TOALP.   At the moment I secure with duct tape and give it a good shake to make sure it's tight.   Im a bit disappointed that DJI sent me labels to return it after having the serial,  photos etc and they didnt catch the warranty until it was in the NL.   They also seemed to wanted me to pay shipping to get it back until I complained on the forum about it.
2023-1-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-4 06:36
I had planned to put some foam behind the clips to push them out and then glue the clip to the foam and the foam to the battery but I lost the clip inflight I think.   It wasnt at my TOALP.   At the moment I secure with duct tape and give it a good shake to make sure it's tight.   Im a bit disappointed that DJI sent me labels to return it after having the serial,  photos etc and they didnt catch the warranty until it was in the NL.   They also seemed to wanted me to pay shipping to get it back until I complained on the forum about it.

Losing it in flight is a scary thought.
2023-1-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-4 05:34
My plus battery finally failed too,   but sadly as im in the UK there is no warranty.  [view_image]

If there is one the about DJI that i don't like and that is the warranty, for the most part it works as it should, but when folks buy, lets say on holiday, they are then stuck for warranty unless they know someone in that country.

The same goes for buying online, this is even worse actually because we are in our own country when we buy the item. I hate this saying but it fits here, at the end of the day, the product is still officially DJI and it failed and through poor materials in your case and many others, this should be upheld.

We here in the UK are being penalised due to an old rule that no longer stands as sub 250g drones are no longer subject to MTOM here in the UK. Actually, sub 250g were never subjected to MTOM, it was the heavier classes that are.

Then there is the major point that we, in the UK can [l]legally fly sub 250g drones in the sub 500g class drone, therefore we can use the heavier battery or the prop guards etc heck, legally we could add 1749g to it, it wouldnt fly mind but you get my point.

The EU is subjected to MTOM but not here in the UK as per the CAA
2023-1-4
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-4 05:34
My plus battery finally failed too,   but sadly as im in the UK there is no warranty.  [view_image]

I have a possible solution. A small piece of double-sided foam tape to hold the clip in place. Put it between the clip and the black inside part. It is springy enough to allow compression for release and to hold it in place. You may need to use two pieces.
2023-1-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-4 09:07
I have a possible solution. A small piece of double-sided foam tape to hold the clip in place. Put it between the clip and the black inside part. It is springy enough to allow compression for release and to hold it in place. You may need to use two pieces.

Good idea but he has not got the part cost it fell off in flight
2023-1-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-4 08:29
Losing it in flight is a scary thought.

I went back to that location this morning and took my big torch (it was 6am and dark) and shockingly I managed to find it in the long grass,  a bit muddle but it will clean up.
2023-1-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-4 08:36
If there is one the about DJI that i don't like and that is the warranty, for the most part it works as it should, but when folks buy, lets say on holiday, they are then stuck for warranty unless they know someone in that country.

The same goes for buying online, this is even worse actually because we are in our own country when we buy the item. I hate this saying but it fits here, at the end of the day, the product is still officially DJI and it failed and through poor materials in your case and many others, this should be upheld.

Bashy,   you know that I agree with you 100%
2023-1-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-4 09:07

Thats kind of what I described above.
2023-1-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 1-4 09:45
Good idea but he has not got the part cost it fell off in flight

Good news BP. I went back to my TOALP this morning with my big torch and did manage to find it in some long grass,  I know just need to explain to SHMBO'd why I have such muddy knees.
2023-1-5
Use props
BodkinsBestPhotography
lvl.2

Canada

djiuser_MjmhuB81id5e Posted at 2022-10-15 14:34
Oh no not good my dji battery clip fell off in hand today ... is it worth contacting dji or not this is so annoying as it's only 2 months old....

Yes.  Raise hell. They need to stand behind their shotty construction!
2023-1-5
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-5 00:55
I went back to that location this morning and took my big torch (it was 6am and dark) and shockingly I managed to find it in the long grass,  a bit muddle but it will clean up.

Great. Can you experiment to see if post #45 is practical for folks with intact and or undamaged clips?
2023-1-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-5 02:14
Great. Can you experiment to see if post #45 is practical for folks with intact and or undamaged clips?

There is a very small hole at the bottom of the battery that some fine stuff cord will fit through.  So that if you had some way to secure that down it should work.     

Behind the square part of the clip is a void so for mine ive cut a Square of 3mm double sided foam tape for that void and then attached a strip to the battery of the same foam and stuck the clips on.   So far it is engaging in the clips and even without the clips the battery was super tight so this should be sufficient.
2023-1-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-5 00:55

Ah brill, glad you found it, at the very least you will be able to jerry rig something...

Hint, i have found that when gripping the battery lugs, if you set ya fingers back a gnats pube width so that ya fingers are partly on the solid casing and the lugs, you tend not to press too far on the lugs as the case stops you.

Having said that, i am going to see what i can do that will stop the lugs going in too far, i have some double-sided although there's no need to stick both sides, i also have some sticky back neoprene, might be too thick but i will see what what
2023-1-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-5 04:59
Ah brill, glad you found it, at the very least you will be able to jerry rig something...

Hint, i have found that when gripping the battery lugs, if you set ya fingers back a gnats pube width so that ya fingers are partly on the solid casing and the lugs, you tend not to press too far on the lugs as the case stops you.

Ive used some doubled sided 3mm foam tape. I had to Double it up in the section you press as it’s hollow.   Seems pretty solidly now when it’s inserted.  But I will make a habit of giving it a little push by the feet to make sure it’s tight.
2023-1-5
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-5 06:06
Ive used some doubled sided 3mm foam tape. I had to Double it up in the section you press as it’s hollow.   Seems pretty solidly now when it’s inserted.  But I will make a habit of giving it a little push by the feet to make sure it’s tight.

Are you saying there's room for 6mm of travel at the catch rear ends?
If so
a) that seems a ridiculous amount of travel for such a short looking arm.
b) They should add stops when the batteries are being assembled so that the possible travel in 'just' more than required to allow the battery to be withdrawn.

Could someone with an intact battery measure how much the rearmost portion of the catch gets depressed when the battery is being inserted?

2023-1-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-5 07:57
Are you saying there's room for 6mm of travel at the catch rear ends?
If so
a) that seems a ridiculous amount of travel for such a short looking arm.

The inside of the press part is hollow which was why I added a second layer.  But yes a good 5mm of travel in there.
2023-1-5
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-5 08:00
The inside of the press part is hollow which was why I added a second layer.  But yes a good 5mm of travel in there.

Ahhh looking at the photos of the catch, how 'high' is actual catch?
It looks quite 'tall' with respect  to the length of the catch arm, implying that there must be quite a lot of flex at the hinge even when inserting the battery.
2023-1-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-5 08:07
Ahhh looking at the photos of the catch, how 'high' is actual catch?
It looks quite 'tall' with respect  to the length of the catch arm, implying that there must be quite a lot of flex at the hinge even when inserting the battery.

Roughly 1.8mm high.   
2023-1-5
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-5 08:36
Roughly 1.8mm high.

Cheers DAFlys
2023-1-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No probs Sean.
2023-1-5
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1433114 ft
United Kingdom

Standard batteries or the plus?
2023-1-6
Use props
Eqwis
lvl.1

Tanzania

Seems like many people are facing the same problem since the design of the battery clips on DJI Mini 3 Pro has plastic clips which may
be causing them to break due to repeated pressure from inserting
2023-2-9
Use props
Anthony Riter
New

United States

Just notice both tabs on my mini 3 pro are cracked. Just 3 chargers on it. This is second one to do do this. DJI replaced the first one hope they do same for this one. There must be a defect with plastic that there using.
2023-4-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Anthony Riter Posted at 4-9 08:11
Just notice both tabs on my mini 3 pro are cracked. Just 3 chargers on it. This is second one to do do this. DJI replaced the first one hope they do same for this one. There must be a defect with plastic that there using.

Or too big an angle of catch flexing. When removing a battery it might be worth using just enough 'squeeze' to release the catches and no more than that.
Just as a matter of interest, do you remove batteries whilst they are still warm from use or do you let them get 'cold' before you remove them?
2023-4-9
Use props
Hipster1966
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9915 ft
United Kingdom

I've just noticed all 3 of my mini 3 pro batteries have those hairline craps, only one catch on one battery isn't cracked. I've no idea how this has happened as I haven't used excessive force to insert and remove them, nor have they been dropped, banged or crashed. Having many RC helicopters in the past 20 years, I know through experience to handle li-po batteries with care. I've had my drone and batteries since March and cycled about 5 or 6 times each. Although they weren't recharged after flying. They were recharged because they discharged themselves if unused.y mini 3 has spent about 8 hours total in the air. Are my batteries covered by the warranty? Because this is down to using cheap inferior plastic for the hinges, that and no thought has gone into designing them. Considering the price of the mini 3 pro, or rather the replacement batteries, I would have expected the casing to be the last thing to go wrong with them. I do have DJI care refresh, but I shouldn't be made to use that for something thats a couple of months old and should be covered under the warranty.
2023-5-20
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Bussty Posted at 2022-9-19 12:14
Sadly I think we are going to see this a lot. There's no stop on those clips and the batteries are quite firm in the drone so you just don't know if the battery is catching or if you have pushed the clips in far enough so you try harder. Being reliant on bending plastic that clip is only going to take so much repetitive pressure and they are breaking in the same weakest place. This is a design issue for DJI and they could be getting a lot of batteries sent back...

Plus 1 on this...

This is just a bad design... It did saved weight, but look at the results now...

The battery case needs:

1) a stronger locking mechanism (similar to the Mavic3)

2) Better Airflow to keep it cooler while flying
2023-5-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hipster1966 Posted at 5-20 12:43
I've just noticed all 3 of my mini 3 pro batteries have those hairline craps, only one catch on one battery isn't cracked. I've no idea how this has happened as I haven't used excessive force to insert and remove them, nor have they been dropped, banged or crashed. Having many RC helicopters in the past 20 years, I know through experience to handle li-po batteries with care. I've had my drone and batteries since March and cycled about 5 or 6 times each. Although they weren't recharged after flying. They were recharged because they discharged themselves if unused.y mini 3 has spent about 8 hours total in the air. Are my batteries covered by the warranty? Because this is down to using cheap inferior plastic for the hinges, that and no thought has gone into designing them. Considering the price of the mini 3 pro, or rather the replacement batteries, I would have expected the casing to be the last thing to go wrong with them. I do have DJI care refresh, but I shouldn't be made to use that for something thats a couple of months old and should be covered under the warranty.

Just normal removal usage is enough to cause this to happen, the problem being that there isn't anything underneath where the clasp compresses, its just empty space, this in turn leads to the clasp being pressed too far, which is compounded with cheaper materials.

Its sad to say that this isn't the 1st time DJI has used inferior quality plastic, just look at the Phantom 4 models, those batteries were renowned for forming cracks in them for no apparent reason and I'm not referring to the clasp either, the shell where the LED lights are, same goes for the legs (hairline cracks) and I think some on the main shell too but not I'm 100% certain on the latter. What makes it worse is that those batteries are £180 a pop, granted, the batteries are consumables but we are not talking fuel degradation here but the shell, this shouldn't happen.

At least DJI are aware of the Mini 3 batteries and this can be rectified by adding something behind the clasp to prevent it from being depressed too far.
2023-5-20
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 5-20 17:33
Just normal removal usage is enough to cause this to happen, the problem being that there isn't anything underneath where the clasp compresses, its just empty space, this in turn leads to the clasp being pressed too far, which is compounded with cheaper materials.

Its sad to say that this isn't the 1st time DJI has used inferior quality plastic, just look at the Phantom 4 models, those batteries were renowned for forming cracks in them for no apparent reason and I'm not referring to the clasp either, the shell where the LED lights are, same goes for the legs (hairline cracks) and I think some on the main shell too but not I'm 100% certain on the latter. What makes it worse is that those batteries are £180 a pop, granted, the batteries are consumables but we are not talking fuel degradation here but the shell, this shouldn't happen.

whaaat. 180 Pounds each. I hope that is a typo otherwise i will start and export business to the uk.

Here is OZ they are $99.00AUD for the standard and $149.00AUD for the Plus.

I'm going to check my 4 batteries now. 3 Plus and 1 standard.

Do we know if its both types or just the Standard or Plus?

Maybe we should start a poll on crack data.

2023-5-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 5-21 03:16
whaaat. 180 Pounds each. I hope that is a typo otherwise i will start and export business to the uk.

Here is OZ they are $99.00AUD for the standard and $149.00AUD for the Plus.

I was referring to my P4P batteries...
2023-5-21
Use props
djiuser_N2Cp3kQlu3gH
New

Belgium

Can someone please help me with my problem? I can't get my dji mini 3 pro to connect with my new phone. If I go to quick transfer it say I'm already connected with a device. I tried everything.
2023-5-21
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 5-21 03:20
I was referring to my P4P batteries...

Ah, it did not see the context. I promise to do better next time.
2023-5-24
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_N2Cp3kQlu3gH Posted at 5-21 04:22
Can someone please help me with my problem? I can't get my dji mini 3 pro to connect with my new phone. If I go to quick transfer it say I'm already connected with a device. I tried everything.

Quick transfer is to copy pictures / videos direct from the drone to your phone.

If you have your RC controller also powered on, its connected to the drone as well, hence you get the already connected message.
2023-5-24
Use props
WN1X
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37884 ft
United States

Poor design on DJI's part. They need to make good on replacing all of these batteries. More reinforcing is needed in the battery shell where the tabs join.
2023-5-24
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules