Clips on battery pack broke off (Mini 3 Pro)
9791 112 2022-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_TBFUKAXmFyGu
New

Portugal

one more to the club
2023-5-30
Use props
WN1X
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37884 ft
United States

I expect all M3P owners will experience this problem with our batteries. DJI needs to fix this poor clip design.
2023-5-30
Use props
Consono
lvl.1
Flight distance : 590440 ft
Germany

One of my batteries also has 'the problem'... :-(
2023-5-30
Use props
djiuser_8yiqqi4roqyn
New

Switzerland

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem and DJI is not willing to help except to take back the batteries and perhaps I will get a rebate on new ones, which will also break. This is really not how I would handle this as DJI.
I'm disappointed.
2023-6-7
Use props
djiuser_oVdphCEPEuii
New
Italy

The same on both sides! 30 days after purchase! Bought on Amazon Italia and now I think what to do with it
2023-7-1
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

For those who cant get it replaced under warranty you can try this buckle to hold the battery.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195848515111?
screenshot_616.jpg
2023-7-11
Use props
djiuser_780ogIsZTtqQ
lvl.1
Australia

Another one here. Sent an email to the retail store here in Melbourne where I purchased it. Waiting on a reply. Certainly looks like a manufacturing defect.
2023-8-2
Use props
_SoP_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 951020 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I have my drone for a year now and when I became aware of this problem I started to remove the batteries very carefully. I never fully press the clips, but just as far as required to safely remove the battery. As of today, all three batteries with their clips are still in function and so far, no sign of breaking is there.
2023-8-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

_SoP_ Posted at 8-2 02:14
I have my drone for a year now and when I became aware of this problem I started to remove the batteries very carefully. I never fully press the clips, but just as far as required to safely remove the battery. As of today, all three batteries with their clips are still in function and so far, no sign of breaking is there.

I think that's the thing to do.
Perhaps DJI should, if feasible, add a travel limiting "stop" underneath the clips, to prevent excessive clip travel and pivot flexing?
In the app, via

...->Safety->Battery Info->

does the app display ''Production Date''?
For the Mini 2 and, from memory, the Mavic Mini it does.

2023-8-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-2 03:58
I think that's the thing to do.
Perhaps DJI should, if feasible, add a travel limiting "stop" underneath the clips, to prevent excessive clip travel and pivot flexing?
In the app, ...->Safety->Battery Info-> does the app display ''Production Date''? For the Mini 2 and from memory the Mavic Mini it does, I am

I am wondering if recent batteries or those supplied with the Mini 3 (full stop) or recent Mini 3 Pros ( Isn't the drone's production date on a label on its box? ), suffer from the same problem?
If not, might DJI have already instigated the fitting of a travel limiting stop?
2023-8-2
Use props
Rej
lvl.4
Flight distance : 279692 ft
Canada

To help with extraction and inducing less strain on my battery clips I've bevelled the sharp edges of my charging hub with a jewellers file. I've also contemplated removing 90% of the lip but for now rounding the sharp retaining edge (red arrow in pic) really improves battery extraction without accidentally depressing tabs too far in. Do not do this mod on the M3p.....also if you elect to do this on your charging hub, make absolutely sure that you have no plastic shavings that remain inside the hub that could potentially get stuck inside the batteries terminal contacts.

2023-8-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_780ogIsZTtqQ Posted at 8-2 00:29
Another one here. Sent an email to the retail store here in Melbourne where I purchased it. Waiting on a reply. Certainly looks like a manufacturing defect.[view_image]

Hi there. Hopefully, this gets resolved immediately. You can also contact us from the following link for further assistance: https://www.dji.com/au/support?site=brandsite&from=nav. Have a great day ahead.
2023-8-3
Use props
djiuser_780ogIsZTtqQ
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Tony Posted at 8-3 01:21
Hi there. Hopefully, this gets resolved immediately. You can also contact us from the following link for further assistance: https://www.dji.com/au/support?site=brandsite&from=nav. Have a great day ahead.

Thanks Tony. The Melbourne store is organizing another battery and posting it out as they didn't have one. So all good.
2023-8-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_780ogIsZTtqQ Posted at 8-10 00:50
Thanks Tony. The Melbourne store is organizing another battery and posting it out as they didn't have one. So all good.

Alright, awesome. Reach back or contact us if you have further concerns. Have a great day ahead.
2023-8-10
Use props
nepcior
lvl.1

Croatia

As an engineer designing plastic parts like this barttery housing since over 20 years I cann say this is clear, obvious design failure from DJI side. No end stop for clip pressing, user can press too much. No material properties taken into consideration light weight material not suitable for multiple bending. The division of the injection mold, and thus the sharp and crack-prone edges, are on the side of the greatest stress. Shape of clip results stress concentration on one spot. And DJI refuses warranty and any service action? Did you perform any stress simulation? Did you performed any endurance tests?Shame on you, DJI!
2023-8-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

nepcior Posted at 8-13 00:39
As an engineer designing plastic parts like this barttery housing since over 20 years I cann say this is clear, obvious design failure  from DJI side. No end stop for clip pressing, user can press too much. No material properties taken into consideration light weight material not suitable for multiple bending. The division of the injection mold, and thus the sharp and crack-prone edges, are on the side of the greatest stress. Shape of clip results stress concentration on one spot. And DJI refuses warranty and any service action? Did you perform any stress simulation? Did you performed any endurance tests?Shame on you, DJI!

Hi there. Sorry for the inconvenience. The warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of the unit. But we appreciate your feedback. Please rest assured that we will register the information and provide feedback to the related departments for evaluation. In the future, we will optimize and improve the product or service based on user comments. Thank you for your support and understanding.
2023-8-14
Use props
fans18eb3c13
New
Flight distance : 1699 ft
Netherlands

Here in the  Netherlands its even worse  i have a 2 years dji care refresh plan  for 138 euro
Now I have to pay to get my battery back.
This is the mail they send me.

Dear Hans,
Unfortunately, the repair of your DJI Mini 3 Pro + Remote Controller with number ******** not covered by the warranty. The reason for this is: "DJI's repair technicians have examined your product and concluded that this defect is not covered by the warranty. The battery and clip are broken and need to be replaced.".

The repair costs are therefore € 68.99. By clicking the button below you agree to this and pay the repair costs. Then we will repair your product.

Accept repair costs

Stop repair
If you prefer not to proceed with the repair, you have the following options:

You pay the research costs of € 65.00 here and we will return your product to you unrepaired.

You waive your product via this link. We will then process it free of charge and in an environmentally friendly manner.

Tell us your choice
Let us know what you want us to do with your repair no later than Tuesday, September 5, 2023. We will keep you informed of the next steps by email.
Yours sincerely,

Coolblue

2023-8-23
Use props
MRDroneRookie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1939127 ft
Canada

I recently sent in a M3P plus battery due to one broken clip (cracked , still attached) and luckily it was replaced free of charge under warranty. Canada. Had the drone 8 months and the defective plus battery 7 months. The battery had only 16 charge cycles. If the battery was removed and inserted into the drone or charger 6 times per charge cycle that is still less than 100 insert and removal cycles before it cracked. Obviously a major design flaw as the batteries should last around 200 charge cycles or more if cared for properly.. I think the suggestion Rej put forward in post 91 is a great idea to try and help reduce some of the stress on the clips as I do find the charging hub very tight to remove the batteries and the clips are probably pressed  further than required because of this. I will be shaving the charger clips today.
20230731_200315.jpg
2023-8-23
Use props
Reidys
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51322 ft
Ireland

I connected support on twitter, in their reply
"We would not recommend using the replacement feature of the plan for the battery. Furthermore, the battery lock adopts a spring-pin design. If the battery buckle is pressed excessively, this issue may occur. Thus, we suggest you insert and remove the battery with proper force"

if this is a bad design all batteries should be replaced.

I only have my drone a week shy of 5 months, only have 85 Flights and one of the tabs broke,
But all other tabs are showing signs of failing

2023-9-27
Use props
juan55
lvl.3
Flight distance : 577096 ft
  • >>>
Spain

One more caw in the wheat ... In my case an extended battery plus bought outside EU broken in both sides. I enclose photos.
Clearly a manufacturing defect. Sadly I try to repair by myself with super glue, but no goal.

Only a few flights us I have 7 batteries, 3 accomplish de 249 gr and 4 extended plus.
2023-11-3
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423173 ft
Germany

Had the same bad experience with a battery and side clips.
I opened a case, DJI sent a free UPS label and my claim was rejected after investigation with service.

I was out of warranty.
I complained that the plastic or design was not made for the expected use, the plastic cracked under normal operating conditions (as it has for many other users)
The problem could have happened in manufacturing, there are differences whether the battery comes from the FlyMore kits or from the drone pack.
The plastic could have been processed at the wrong temperature.
They denied that this is a known problem.
DJI offered me a new battery at the new price.
I have reclaimed my battery and am very unhappy with the handling and rejection of my complaint.
2023-11-3
Use props
juan55
lvl.3
Flight distance : 577096 ft
  • >>>
Spain

For your interest, you can repair this problem using Visbella UV light Glue. I have done and after profiling the cup of glue with a nail file to the point that can be fitted in the battery holder.

2023-12-11
Use props
michallis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1448153 ft
Poland

So 2 out of 3 of my Mini 3 Pro batteries has got cracks on them. 85/86 cycles on them. I sent them for assessment. Turns out they are out of warranty (1 year) Dji quoted me for 165 Euro for replacement. Not cool. DJI Care Express does not cover it too. They can replace just a drone + one battery. I've been reading that the batteries are poorly designed but DJI does not recognize this claim. I am in EU. Is there a place where we could file a complaint?  
2023-12-22
Use props
GerdS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4303379 ft
Germany

And now this design failure has been repeated for Mini 4 Pro batteries. DJI did not learn from this dessaster...
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid3209633
2023-12-25
Use props
djiuser_C4ey8phkl47G
New

United Kingdom

hi all
got the same problem here .my mini 4 is on 3month old 27th oct 2023, old and only flown a few times .cant load all pics of damage ???/
2-5 00:50
Use props
djiuser_C4ey8phkl47G
New

United Kingdom

djiuser_C4ey8phkl47G Posted at 2-5 00:50
hi all
got the same problem here .my mini 4 is on 3month old 27th oct 2023, old and only flown a few times .cant load all pics of damage ???/[view_image]

try again with pic
2-5 00:54
Use props
snoopx
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I don't remember the batteries for the larger drones like the Phantom series etc having this problem. I would guess in their efforts to keep the weight down to <250g, they've skimped on the amount of plastic used in the clips.
2-6 13:37
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_C4ey8phkl47G Posted at 2-5 00:50
hi all
got the same problem here .my mini 4 is on 3month old 27th oct 2023, old and only flown a few times .cant load all pics of damage ???/[view_image]

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. Can you please confirm what specific issue you experienced with the battery of your DJI Mini 4 Pro? Please upload a short video showing the behavior of the battery so we can check it further. We will wait for your response.
2-10 02:26
Use props
Geoff Oldfield
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2250236 ft
United Kingdom

Found the same problem today. When I checked the battery content of the three batteries in the charger one was showing no charge state. When I removed it, there was a small green paste around two of the clips on the battery. I brushed the clips with a toothbrush to check it was ok only to find that it wouldnt charge. On closer examination it was apparent that te clips that had the paste on were not as prominent as the rest of the clips. I purchased the Mini 3 Pro late last year. Can you offer some advice please. I am a Commercial Drone pilot with a CAA Operational Authorisation and operate a phantom 4 and a Mavic 2 Zoom as well.
3-30 06:31
Use props
djiuser_scUSYj26Y9MG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6708350 ft
Spain

I’ve had the same issue, got 2 batteries replaced under warranty; but now I have 3 batteries just over 12 months old with cracks in the battery tab arms (2 of which are the replacements) and dji saying sorry, they’re out of warranty!

Now, I understand that maybe the battery warranty is 12 months and that they are out of the warranty period; but, I also feel that the battery tabs and battery should be designed to last the life of the aircraft itself and not just 12 months?

I acknowledge dji are quoting the legal position, yet surely the moral position should be replacement? As others have suggested, I too feel that this is a design issue and to expect someone to pay out £180 for 3 new batteries that are just over 12 months old is unreasonable.
3-30 10:33
Use props
CE Visuals
lvl.1
Flight distance : 179695 ft
United States

3 batteries with the same issue - was told they are out of warranty period even though they are hardly used.  Told I need to buy new ones... I said forget it, will use electricians tape to seal the gaping holes on each of the batteries and will continue flying.  Pi$$ poor service from DJI
4-3 12:06
Use props
CE Visuals
lvl.1
Flight distance : 179695 ft
United States

Ranjan Posted at 2023-7-11 04:58
For those who cant get it replaced under warranty you can try this buckle to hold the battery.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195848515111?

I purchased one of these - seems to be an easy solution to the poor build of the battery retaining clips.  I've also resorted to covering the gaping holes with electricians tape to prevent any moisture from entering
4-3 12:11
Use props
Piotr Pe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 338428 ft
Poland

Hello
My catch broke after over a year and I found only housings on AliEexpress. They are not cheap but cheaper than a new battery.
obudowa wymiana B.jpg
IMG_6055.jpeg
4-14 11:32
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules