Mini 3 Pro, with battery Plus, I got a "battery overcurrent"
6826 31 2022-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_ZS48IyyVFwEA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1000935 ft
Canada

On my Mini 3 Pro, while flying in sport mode with a Plus battery, after a few seconds, I got a "battery overcurrent" message. I would say after only 5-6 seconds. Has anyone encountered this problem before? There was no wind.

Thank you
2022-8-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. It is normal that this warning appears in the app when the aircraft is flying in S mode and the control sticks are fully pushed. The battery can be used normally. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-8-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes I get this with both types of battery when flying into the wind in sports mode,   or sometimes that drone will just completely decelerate without any warning at all.
2022-8-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've seen it a couple of times while using the battery + and being in Sport mode. Seems that's when the motors are drawing the maximum current and hence the warning.   
2022-8-22
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It sounds like its been optimised right to the very limits to get the most out of it but put in failsafe, not so sure i like the idea of it slowing it down mind :/
2022-8-22
Use props
djiuser_0XIP83ItgpIK
New

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-21 18:53
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. It is normal that this warning appears in the app when the aircraft is flying in S mode and the control sticks are fully pushed. The battery can be used normally. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.

I get this alert as well. If I see it will the Drone regulate itself, or do I need to change the way I am flying?  I see it happening when I fly over the bay in sport mode flying fast.  I do not mind slowing down, but I was hoping the drone would just adjust itself. Thank you.
2022-12-21
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_0XIP83ItgpIK Posted at 12-21 13:04
I get this alert as well. If I see it will the Drone regulate itself, or do I need to change the way I am flying?  I see it happening when I fly over the bay in sport mode flying fast.  I do not mind slowing down, but I was hoping the drone would just adjust itself. Thank you.

From what DAFlys says, it self-regulates, i.e. will slow down if it doesn't like it, i think that is the over discharging protection, this isn't state in the manual, just checked but there is...

6. Over-Discharge Protection: Discharging stops automatically to prevent excess discharge when the
battery is not in use. Over-discharge protection is not enabled when the battery is in use.

Thankfully it does not do that whilst in the air

When i got it with the plus battery, i just backed off the speed just a touch and didn't see the message again.
2022-12-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_0XIP83ItgpIK Posted at 12-21 13:04

Thank you for your response. This is not an issue but a prompt because the Intelligent Flight Battery Plus is heavy, and the battery output power is relatively high when DJI Mini 3 Pro is flying with the control stick being pushed fully in Sports Mode. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-12-23
Use props
fans9870d219
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2791037 ft
Canada

I dont know if its really more of prompt, more like a warning, happened to me as well and upon attempting to land my mini 3 pro just descended like crazy and uncontrollably, no amount of input did anything, it just crashed and was unstable. This was after I switched to sport mode, and tried to fly back home, and it showed the battery overcurrent thing.
2023-1-15
Use props
fans9870d219
lvl.2
Canada

2023-1-15
Use props
fans9870d219
lvl.2
Canada

That is what showed up after about 5min flight at 69% battery capacity. Switched to sport mode to get back home, the drone was 300m out and after 5 sec in sport mode the warning showed up.

Good thing it was close by, after hovering on top of my landing area, tried to get lined up, pushed the right stick left a bit to align my landing, then decided to descend and it just dropped like crazy, trying to level out, but no amount of stick input did anything, good thing it crashed into super soft snow, it dropped uncontrollably from 30 meters up.
2023-1-15
Use props
fans9870d219
lvl.2
Canada

For now my only advise is not flying in sport mode with the plus batteries, I guess until dji comes out with a fix. I think the batteries are underperforming in cold weather, even at rated operational temps. Which is weird considering that with the regular batteries, this doesn't occur.
2023-1-15
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans9870d219 Posted at 1-15 18:15
That is what showed up after about 5min flight at 69% battery capacity. Switched to sport mode to get back home, the drone was 300m out and after 5 sec in sport mode the warning showed up. [view_image]

Good thing it was close by, after hovering on top of my landing area, tried to get lined up, pushed the right stick left a bit to align my landing, then decided to descend and it just dropped like crazy, trying to level out, but no amount of stick input did anything, good thing it crashed into super soft snow, it dropped uncontrollably from 30 meters up.

My total guess is that the image that shows the prop icing is more likely the issue that caused it to drop fast, too much prop icing and it cannot produce the lift it needs...
2023-1-15
Use props
fans9870d219
lvl.2
Canada

Bashy Posted at 1-15 18:21
My total guess is that the image that shows the pro icing is more likely the issue that caused it to drop fast, too much prop icing and it cannot produce the lift it needs...

Could be, highly doubt it, considering that I've pretty much flown in the same conditions as before and never had problems. But again couldn't rule that out, that actually did come into mind as one of the possibilities, but there was no precipitation in the air that would have cause ice freezing, did notice thou after doing one last stick adjustment to align my landing "left bank using the right stick" which it executed properly, the forward, reverse, left and right bank didn't respond at all after, and thats when I decided to descend slowly using the left stick, but it just descended at 4.4m/s and crashed like crazy, trying hard to level out.

It crashed into soft snow, and after a couple of hours, after it was dried fully, tried to fly and do a hover again, and it worked fine. Was super lucky that it crash landed in soft snow.

But thats it for me with sport mode and the plus battery! Ironic how my mini 2 never had issues flying in worst weather conditions.
2023-1-15
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans9870d219 Posted at 1-15 18:54
Could be, highly doubt it, considering that I've pretty much flown in the same conditions as before and never had problems. But again couldn't rule that out, that actually did come into mind as one of the possibilities, but there was no precipitation in the air that would have cause ice freezing, did notice thou after doing one last stick adjustment to align my landing "left bank using the right stick" which it executed properly, the forward, reverse, left and right bank didn't respond at all after, and thats when I decided to descend slowly using the left stick, but it just descended at 4.4m/s and crashed like crazy, trying hard to level out.

It crashed into soft snow, and after a couple of hours, after it was dried fully, tried to fly and do a hover again, and it worked fine. Was super lucky that it crash landed in soft snow.

Hi, it doesnt need precipitation, just high humidity.

Just flying with the Plus battery and even in windy conditions will not cause the UAS to plummet like yours did, at worse, the UAS will engage its failsafe and fly slower, this on its own could be an issue especially if you're upwind from the UAS, getting back could be difficult.

In my opinion, there was something else behind it dropping, for sure and my money is on prop icing.
I watched a video a while back where a UAS dropped into an ice cold river due to prop icing, i cant find it now but the guy straight away put it down to prop icing. I think the 2m forecast was around the 0ºC mark, don't quote me on that air temp though, i cant find the video now so i cant even say which model UAS.

FYI, prop icing can occur in temps of -10ºC to 4ºC with high humidity, anything below -10ºC the air usually is too dry for icing.
2023-1-15
Use props
fans9870d219
lvl.2
Canada

Cool, I very much appreciate your input, was definitely foggy when I flew, which does make me now think that, that was probably it. Which now makes me think is there any way to prevent this? By maybe coating the props with PAM or maybe wd40?

2023-1-15
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans9870d219 Posted at 1-15 20:46
Cool, I very much appreciate your input, was definitely foggy when I flew, which does make me now think that, that was probably it. Which now makes me think is there any way to prevent this? By maybe coating the props with PAM or maybe wd40?

I wouldnt spray anything onto the props, this could lead to them becoming brittle and failing.

Just keep an eye on the humidity, certainly if its above 90% i wouldn't risk it, and deffo not if there's even a hint of fog, cause then the humidity is too high
2023-1-15
Use props
fans31239f7b
lvl.1

United Kingdom

This happens to me in sports mode and I've noticed that the battery level plummets  unless i back the off the power,
2023-3-2
Use props
KJ7YM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 161427 ft
United States

Just last night, using an +Battery, I placed my mini 3 pro into sport mode for the first time. (first time on purpose anyway :-) I was just trying to get it back home quickly, since it was more than a half mile away, and that is a bit too far for my googles 2 to reach. To my astonishment the drone shot up to 42 mph. As I was staring at that thinking "That's Cool" the display showed me the over current message. I put it right back to Normal mode of course and it slowed down to 29 mph.  Question, I thought the onboard systems kept the craft down to a predetermined top speed. I can't remember for sure but I thought the number was somewhere in the upper to mid thirties. Has anyone else ever seen a burst of speed like this?
2023-5-23
Use props
WN1X
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37884 ft
United States

A  tailwind could push your speed above the 29 mph.
2023-5-23
Use props
djiuser_J7tW0zMUsqzd
lvl.1

Mexico

DJI Paladin Posted at 2022-8-21 18:53

Hi there.
I have a relatively brand new mini 3 pro.
I purchased the plus battery to allow me to have longer flight times.
I also have three of the normal batteries.
I have only done three flights so far with my new plus battery.
I have received the "over current warning" on each flight.

Further frustration ,I just spent 30+ min on the phone with DJI support speaking with someone who did not have English as a first language. I kept trying to ask the question as to why this was occurring, when with the same weather/day I didn't get the error with the normal battery. She seemed unable to understand, comprehend, break from her script.
I wanted to speak with a tech.
Why sell a battery, if it is in fact too heavy for the drone to handle in all flight modes?
PLEASE don't reply from your script! "Hi there. Thanks for reaching out, and apologies for the inconvenience. "

This battery has turned out to be a waste of my $$ as I can't rely on getting the shot in sport mode, but I can with the normal battery.
        Daren
2023-9-11
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Simple, don't use sport mode so much. With the extra weight of the battery, the esc has to send more current to the motors in sport mode. More current, more heat.
2023-9-11
Use props
djiuser_J7tW0zMUsqzd
lvl.1

Mexico

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-11 09:20
Simple, don't use sport mode so much. With the extra weight of the battery, the esc has to send more current to the motors in sport mode. More current, more heat.

I don't get that error in sport mode with the normal batt, under the same conditions....So you are saying the extra few grams of weight is the problem?, or that I shouldn't expect my drone to be able to be used in all of it's modes with a proprietary battery?
I'm sorry I disagree.
2023-9-11
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

djiuser_J7tW0zMUsqzd Posted at 9-11 11:14
I don't get that error in sport mode with the normal batt, under the same conditions....So you are saying the extra few grams of weight is the problem?, or that I shouldn't expect my drone to be able to be used in all of it's modes with a proprietary battery?
I'm sorry I disagree.

I don't really care if you disagree or not. It's physics. More weight, more speed = more heat.
2023-9-11
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

If I had to guess, I bet my money that the +battery has a lower C rating than the standard battery... Nothing to do with weight or temperature...

2023-9-11
Use props
djiuser_J7tW0zMUsqzd
lvl.1

Mexico

Burt37 Posted at 9-11 14:19
If I had to guess, I bet my money that the +battery has a lower C rating than the standard battery... Nothing to do with weight or temperature...

How would I find that out?
Thanks for a reply, and not an argument.
Ive seen post on here with the same problem, shooting in the snow. So I would also think temp isn't as much of a problem.

2023-9-11
Use props
Potato mini
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7275348 ft
United States

I get the over current warning all the time with the + batts and nothing has happened. All I had to do was let off the speed a bit and it went away
2023-9-11
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Australia

djiuser_J7tW0zMUsqzd Posted at 9-11 14:36
How would I find that out?
Thanks for a reply, and not an argument.
Ive seen post on here with the same problem, shooting in the snow. So I would also think temp isn't as much of a problem.

I just asked the same question to one of the admin in the other thread... If the plus battery has a lower C rating, there is nothing you can do other than take it easier while flying, otherwise the BMS in the battery sends the warning to the drone...

I'm just speculating here, as I just checked both battery and I can't see the C rating on either of them..
2023-9-11
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Australia

While on that subject, lower C rating for the larger battery is not necessarily a bad thing as it does gives you a much longer running time. So perhaps it was chosen by DJI in purpose... Higher capacity, lower discharge = longer running time..
2023-9-11
Use props
djiuser_J7tW0zMUsqzd
lvl.1

Mexico

Burt37 Posted at 9-11 14:54
While on that subject, lower C rating for the larger battery is not necessarily a bad thing as it does gives you a much longer running time. So perhaps it was chosen by DJI in purpose... Higher capacity, lower discharge = longer running time..

"longer running times" at lower speed,
2023-9-11
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

Burt37 Posted at 9-11 14:19

Nothing to do with weight and temperature? Are you mental? It ALL has to do with weight and temperature!!! You can run is Sport mode from takeoff to landing with the standard battery.With zero warning. Add the extra weight of the Plus battery and it takes more current to run Sport mode. More current through the ESC means more heat. Overcurrent is used instead of TOO HOT, SLOW DOWN!!!
2023-9-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_J7tW0zMUsqzd Posted at 9-11 08:43
Hi there.
I have a relatively brand new mini 3 pro.
I purchased the plus battery to allow me to have longer flight times.

Hi there, sorry for the unpleasant experience with our support.
Regarding the over-current error, if it is exactly this warning: “Battery overcurrent. Maintain smooth flight and check if aircraft is overloaded”, it is because the battery output power is relatively high, the aircraft may be overloaded, or may have flown in Sport mode aggressively for a long time.

If it is confirmed that there is no extra load, please gently push the control stick of the remote controller and the warning will disappear. Please let me know if the error persists.

Regarding your feedback about our support, would you please PM me your phone number to investigate the details for service improvement purposes? Thank you.
2023-9-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules