4060 61 2022-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chaosrider
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1226762 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-28 21:20
agreed but i don't need two motion controllers and don't want to pay super extra for goggles2.

My DJI FPV has the “regular” controller, and the Avata package that I get will have the Motion Controller. There’s no duplication, and I’ve wanted to add the Motion Controller for a while now.  

With the exception of that miserable looking trackpad, the new goggles look awesome. I particularly look forward to the head tracking, and being able to “chase the dot”. There was one review vid that I watched that showed that off really well.

I wish the whole package was cheaper, but that’s always true. Despite the breathtaking price…$1388 USD for the Pro View Combo…I think it’s worth that cost. If I get it and that turns out not to be the case, I’ll just ship it back.

Inverse-Kobayashi Maru…the no-lose scenario!

Thx,

2022-8-29
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
Flight distance : 333799 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Same here, I have flown a few FPV, couldn't imagine trying with that motion controller
Strange that there is no bundle with FPV controller 2

2022-8-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Not me.
(cool drone, but too much regulations here in NL)
2022-8-30
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

Montfrooij Posted at 8-30 00:57
Not me.
(cool drone, but too much regulations here in NL)

dont block yourself, what is so hard to not jump into it?
2022-8-30
Use props
djiuser_vuVPevhzrhHX
New
United States

it seems weird that by the time the Avata gets into regular consumers hand it will be old..while all the content creators will have it for months. For the fly more kit it should have at least one ND filter with it. Greed is getting out of hand. You will spend over $2K trying to have a functional FPV since they took out the regular controller for separate purchase. This is ridiculous.
2022-8-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fateofangel Posted at 8-30 07:04
dont block yourself, what is so hard to not jump into it?

If you want to fly FPV here in NL, you need a spotter and at least keep 120m horizontal distance from about anything man made.
So that makes it very impractical for me.
I have little time, so when I find a free moment, I don't want to have to meet with someone before being able to move somewhere big enough (and boring....) to fly FPV.
I don't care that much about flying, only about capturing interesting stuff and a large piece of grass is not what I want to film
2022-8-30
Use props
statuswrex
lvl.1
United States

have both and maybe it's because I never mastered the original DJI FPV but I think Avata is more fun.  Haven't tried to fly with the motion controller yet though.  Already regretting not buying the fly more combo at the time of purchase..

Still can't figure out how to "switch" drones to use the FPV with goggles 2.
2022-8-30
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Poland

Montfrooij Posted at 8-30 12:19
If you want to fly FPV here in NL, you need a spotter and at least keep 120m horizontal distance from about anything man made.
So that makes it very impractical for me.
I have little time, so when I find a free moment, I don't want to have to meet with someone before being able to move somewhere big enough (and boring....) to fly FPV.

I see, i was leaving NL many years ago for half a year. Finding an empty 120m+ area actually seems to be quite impossible for sure
2022-8-30
Use props
statuswrex
lvl.1
United States

Chaosrider Posted at 8-29 05:05
My DJI FPV has the “regular” controller, and the Avata package that I get will have the Motion Controller. There’s no duplication, and I’ve wanted to add the Motion Controller for a while now.  

With the exception of that miserable looking trackpad, the new goggles look awesome. I particularly look forward to the head tracking, and being able to “chase the dot”. There was one review vid that I watched that showed that off really well.

I was thinking the same thing about the trackpad but I actually loved it right away.  Way more simple than I imagined.
2022-8-30
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Poland

djiuser_vuVPevhzrhHX Posted at 8-30 08:33
it seems weird that by the time the Avata gets into regular consumers hand it will be old..while all the content creators will have it for months. For the fly more kit it should have at least one ND filter with it. Greed is getting out of hand. You will spend over $2K trying to have a functional FPV since they took out the regular controller for separate purchase. This is ridiculous.

yes it is
2022-8-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fateofangel Posted at 8-30 12:34
I see, i was leaving NL many years ago for half a year. Finding an empty 120m+ area actually seems to be quite impossible for sure

That is quite hard indeed.
Plus I would like to film something interesting.
Buildings and stuff.
But that is not allowed (close) with an FPV.
2022-8-30
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
United States

statuswrex Posted at 8-30 12:35
I was thinking the same thing about the trackpad but I actually loved it right away.  Way more simple than I imagined.

Well, I'll keep an open mind.

But it's entirely possible...maybe even likely...that I'm a lot more finger-klutzy than you are!

:-)

But I'll find out, in the fullness of time.

Thx,

TCS
2022-9-1
Use props
c1010010
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2034626 ft
United States

I did order the Avata.  Got it, and after 1 flight of 18 minutes... I am going to return.

It does not scratch the same itch as the FPV.

Some nice enhancements, but not enough for the price.
2022-9-2
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Poland

c1010010 Posted at 9-2 05:10
I did order the Avata.  Got it, and after 1 flight of 18 minutes... I am going to return.

It does not scratch the same itch as the FPV.

wow,
what improvements do you mean?
you flight with motion controller?
how about "touchpad" on googles v2?
2022-9-2
Use props
c1010010
lvl.1
United States

fateofangel Posted at 9-2 05:15
wow,
what improvements do you mean?
you flight with motion controller?

Sorry, I guess that was kind of a detail free comment... Let me elaborate a little.

Why did I upgrade?

- Cinewhoop, profile. Protected rotors are always a good thing.
- Battery Life, 18m over 14m, yea worth it.
- Improved Headset (better size, better display and touchpad interface)
- Decreased weight, lighter is usually better when things are using energy to be kept aloft.
- Diopter adjustments on goggles.
- Size, this is a much more portable drone. It will travel well, and takes about 1/2 the volume of the FPV when packed.
- General feature updates.

Anyway, it showed up and I was able to take the first flight yesterday, and here are my thoughts (keep in mind, this is coming from a DJI FPV person). I just wanted to share my experiences so others have data to inform their buy decisions.

Negatives pushing me for a return.

- Noise - this has a high-pitched whine. You can hear it at almost any altitude. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but wow, I expected 5-blade rotors, and duct shrouds to have a little bit more attenuation. Nope. Loud AF, Gross pitch.
- Flight Characteristics - It is very susceptible to wind. It was kiting all over the place at 90 meters AGL. The descents were very bumpy without forward motion of at least 8m/s.
- Speeds - I capped out at 12m/s in Sport Mode. This isn't terrible, but coming from the FPV, we're at about 1/2 max airspeed. I guess I'm just used to more.
- Goggles - The fit is terrible for me!. The nose bridge pushes against my nose restricting airflow unless I use one hand to keep it off my nose. I realize this is probably a personal thing. But if you have a strong nose, you may have similar issues.
- Touchpad - gross. I see no point to add this as a feature. Sloppy for navigating the menus.

Positives, pushing me to keep the Avata

- Size - I love the size of the drone, and the goggles. Much smaller and easier to transport.
- Display - in-goggle display and 48MP camera are a draw. The FPV isn't bad, but this is better.
2022-9-2
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Poland

c1010010 Posted at 9-2 05:35
Sorry, I guess that was kind of a detail free comment... Let me elaborate a little.

Why did I upgrade?

thx a lot man, thats very detailed review, great job
2022-9-2
Use props
c1010010
lvl.1
United States

fateofangel Posted at 9-2 11:39
thx a lot man, thats very detailed review, great job

No worries.

I hope it helped a decision path for you.

DJI has been really good about the return, btw.  I only flew a few minutes, and I followed their procedure - so there is no reason to reject me - but it worked well.  They sent me a label, and I packed it all back up in the original boxes and plastic.
2022-9-6
Use props
mifish
lvl.2
Flight distance : 456188 ft
Canada

Maybe - I have a DJI FPV and several quads with AirUnits/Caddx Vistas. If DJI Goggles 2 deliver support for the existing air units: I'll totally buy the Avata Combo kit.
If DJI release a new air unit that's compatible with Goggles 2: I'm probably in.

The Goggles 2 are what really tempt me. The Avata would be fun to have, but 1080p DJI FPV goggles are the main attraction.

The crew that I fly with all are willing and able to upgrade buy the Avata kit now - but everyone is waiting a month or two to see if Goggles 2 will work with non DJI quads  -or-  if the Walksnail Avatar will be their next 1080p digital FPV system.
2022-9-6
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I did and I'm so glad I did! I'm flying this in places I would never attempt with any other aircraft.
2022-9-15
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
United States

After reading a bunch of posts about linking problems, I'm going to defer my purchase for a bit until that gets better sorted out.

TCS
2022-9-15
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Poland

we will see than, i am still thinking about fpv but cannot decide what sort of
2022-9-15
Use props
roninfyc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9558930 ft
Singapore

Crash problem when doing a sharp turn on manual mode. Have they fixed the problem ?
2022-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules