Export issues from Premiere to Mp4, with HLG profile (Mavic 3 cine)
4057 10 2022-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AtomicKid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 366270 ft
United States

Hi folks, so I'm continuing to refine my workflow trying to get Mavic 3 Cineo ProRes to look great coming out of Adobe Premiere. I've seen good results from other people so I imagine that I'm missing something very simple on export.
Footage was shot in HLG color mode. I'm working in a ProRes native comp and changed the color space to match HLG (see attached). When I export, however it all goes to hell. The colors are all contrasty / levels off, etc. I did find a setting in the mp4 export that let's me choose High10 profile, and then I can change the colors space back from Rec 709 to Rec 2100HLG, and things "appear" better. However even in the mp4 it's not quite as balanced as it is in premiere. I am assuming that part of this has to do with the bit-rate encoded in the mp4, however I can't believe I'm the only one trying to export the footage into the H264 format and having bad results.

Appreciate any tips / direction!
Stephen

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 4.49.58 PM.png
2022-8-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Stephen. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. I hope that our fellow DJI Co Pilots who are using this editing software can give out the best information and recommendation with regards to this matter. Thank you.
2022-8-24
Use props
AtomicKid
lvl.2
United States

Here's a quick comparison
2022-8-25
Use props
dekstroza
lvl.4
Flight distance : 446919 ft
Ireland

What monitor do you use ? What color space is it set to ?
2022-8-26
Use props
AtomicKid
lvl.2
United States

dekstroza Posted at 8-26 02:07
What monitor do you use ? What color space is it set to ?

Hello - I have dual LG Ultrafine 5k monitors connected to a Mac Studio M1 Ultra. Using their default color profile.
2022-8-26
Use props
dekstroza
lvl.4
Flight distance : 446919 ft
Ireland

AtomicKid Posted at 8-26 05:39
Hello - I have dual LG Ultrafine 5k monitors connected to a Mac Studio M1 Ultra. Using their default color profile.

Try opening the exported file with Media Info and see what it says about color space, to confirm that what’s exported is indeed in color space you need it to be.

If that’s the case, it’s also worth checking that your editing software color space matches color profile of the monitors. I know how to do this in Resolve, but can’t help with Adobe Premier
2022-8-27
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

I also know about Resolve, but I did not have good luck with Premier, Davinci Resolve Studio is around $250 one time payment vs Adobe Premier monthly subscription of $25 , if you are interested in Resolve, they have a trial of Studio version too. You need to Studio version to edit / grade HDR.
2022-8-27
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

You can also try shooting in HLG H.265 (not prores) and then try to view it without any editing on your Mac to see if the colors look good to begin with. It might be your monitor is not set to the correct color space, I heard Macs are very picky when it comes to HDR monitor connection, they like XDR monitors built by Mac and sometimes have issues with non Mac HDR monitors. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Mike.
2022-8-27
Use props
AtomicKid
lvl.2
United States

Appreciate the responses. I use this setup all the time to grade prores raw footage from a Sony a7s III. I haven’t done much with HLG footage until I got the Mavic. My biggest concern isn’t that the footage looks bad in Premiere, as you can see it looks great. I am just trying to maintain that look upon export. Maybe I take it for granted that my other workflows don’t result in these issues.. but simply exporting those sequences from premiere to mp4 is changing the color space so dramatically that it kills the color.

Is there a particular preset that you (anyone) use during export to solve this or should I have different sequence settings in premiere? I’ve been using Premiere for a long time now so hoping I don’t have to go to resolve just to work with Mavic footage.
2022-8-27
Use props
Kostas73
lvl.1
Spain

Hi there. I've been having issues also with Mavic 3 HLG footage in Premiere. There seem to be several issues and settings in play here, there is not one sure fire way to take care of the issues you're having. Hopefully some of these will help you along. Keep in mind that Adobe has changed many of the ways that it handles colour "in preparation" for all the new devices with HLG coming to the market. So we're in a bit of a state of transition. In my case, and after several support sessions with Adobe, I've found the best settings so far to be:
1. Your imported footage footage should be set to HLG. Check this by right clicking the clip in the project manager, go to modify, interpret footage and make sure that under colour management Rec2100 HLG is the default. If not, select it.
2. Make sure you sequence settings are set to Rec709. This is what works for me as my monitors are SDR. If yours are HDR you may need to set to Rec2100HLG.
At this point you should have a preview and export that resemble each other better. If there are still blow out issues, especially with the whites, then next step:
3. Go to File, Project Settings, General. There at the bottom under colour management and change the HDR Graphics White to 300.
This is how far I've gotten so far but I am still expecting a call back tomorrow from Adobe technical support as they're escalating this issue.
Further settings that you can try:
- From an online article I've found that in the export dialog you can go to the effects pulldown and select SDR Conform. This take s a lot of luminosity out of your final footage apparently and doesn't solve the issue of the export not matching what's on the timeline.
- In the export setting there's again an option to change the HDR white (100/200/300) but I've not tested yet.
Keep in mind that Adobe tech support told me this could be a bug in this version. One option they offered was to roll back to an earlier version.
Sorry I can't offer a solution but hopefully you'll get a bit further with trying some of these settings. All the best.
K
2023-1-16
Use props
RichSaCa
New

Colombia

https://youtu.be/m6rjlYJVRN0
This does the trick. Just interpret the footage as Rec709 and make sure the sequence is also Rec709
2023-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules