Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CRAIGMART75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1543901 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello,
While Flying today I noticed that at the bottom of both antennas there are Cracks in the plastic. I have not even dropped the controller because I spent way too much money for it...
I don't know how long they have been there. I always keep it in a padded bag inside my drone bag or it in a rigid travel case. I contacted DJI and sending it back to get them looked at and replaced. I just want to let you know what to look for.
20220824_131648.jpg
20220824_131659.jpg
20220824_131837.jpg
20220824_131857.jpg
2022-8-24
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Thanks for the heads, I will also keep an eye on mine. Very bad for this to happen on such an expensive RC
2022-8-24
Use props
CRAIGMART75
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 8-24 11:04
Thanks for the heads, I will also keep an eye on mine. Very bad for this to happen on such an expensive RC

I know .... Right
2022-8-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there CRAIGMART75. I am sorry to read and it is good to know that you have already contacted our DJI Support Team for us to be able to help you with regard to this matter. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.
2022-8-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the heads up.  Definitely something to check often.  
2022-8-25
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

This probably comes from people letting the springs snap them open instead of controlling them. Same goes for legs. Open them easy instead of letting them snap.
2022-8-25
Use props
DaKidd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 860184 ft
United States

I never let my antennas snap into position. Even put a screen protector on it before first use, and have never dropped or mishandled it in any form. But yet, as I looked at them because of this post, there it is under magnification and lighting I saw it. I am real carful with it and all my stuff, bit of a nut in that respect. Here is a pic, now what to do !  Do not want to send it in,  and do without it .   [url=]Picture[/url]
20220830_193605.jpg
20220830_193605.jpg
2022-8-30
Use props
CRAIGMART75
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DaKidd Posted at 8-30 17:01
I never let my antennas snap into position. Even put a screen protector on it before first use, and have never dropped or mishandled it in any form. But yet, as I looked at them because of this post, there it is under magnification and lighting I saw it. I am real carful with it and all my stuff, bit of a nut in that respect. Here is a pic, now what to do !  Do not want to send it in,  and do without it .   Picture

I baby mine. I have also added a screen protector.. Cost too much to throw around.. They just received mine.. I will let you know how long it takes for the repair.
2022-8-30
Use props
DaKidd
lvl.4
United States

Thanks, let me know how long this takes please. Do you have a link for how to contact them?  Hate to send it in, but afraid to do it myself as far as replacing the antennas. Will most likely get worse in time.
2022-8-31
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

That does not look like a mishandled device.  Given where the fracture is in the plastic, it is a weak point.
2022-8-31
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sorry to see the cracks on your antennas. Even though after 9 months of frequent use I haven't seen any cracks on mine so far, but I have to say I don't like them since day one. I actually prefer the ones on the old Smart Controller, which are less susceptible to damage, and look much sleeker when folded.
2022-8-31
Use props
CRAIGMART75
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DaKidd Posted at 8-31 11:41
Thanks, let me know how long this takes please. Do you have a link for how to contact them?  Hate to send it in, but afraid to do it myself as far as replacing the antennas. Will most likely get worse in time.

https://repair.dji.com/repair/index?site=brandsite&from=nav

They are looking at it now .. I will let you know on the turnaround time.

I looked at a video on how to upgrade the Antennas .. It is a lot of work to even get to the connectors to unhook them and even replace the original antenna .
I will Let DJI do it now
2022-8-31
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for the heads-up!

Just checked mine and no cracks (November 2021). Remember to NEVER "snap" the left antenna onto the right antenna. The left one will slide easily into the right one for stabilization.
2022-8-31
Use props
DaKidd
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for the link, and your response. I need to send it in, darn I just hate to do that. Had to listen to my wife's  comments when I got this remote, now this..   Fixed income only goes so far.  But anyways, thank you guy for your time, much appreciate it.  Got this on July 18, 2022. Keep it in a hard case. And have used it very little since thin. Handly it like a baby at all times when I do, go figure.
2022-8-31
Use props
CRAIGMART75
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Repair Update:
Took a little over 2 weeks. I live in VA and had to send it to CA. (Labor Day Weekend also)
DJI did its Damage Assessment on the controller and wanted to charge me $75 to repair the cracked Antennas.
I contacted them via Voice about the cost. They said they would look into it . A few days with no new info I contacted them again on Online Chat. I discussed my Issue with the controller being under Warranty and I have not even put a nick or ding on it , but the cracks showed up under normal opening and closing.  He 1st offered 10% discount then later offered a 30% discount. I told him I have spent a good amount of money with Dji. I would like the repair done for free. ( If I dropped it or let it fall and hit the ground and the antennas cracked , I would have paid for the repair, But just opening and closing them.. no (Design or Materials flaw)) He said he had to send up the request to his higher manager. I received an email a day later saying they would do the repair for Free . I followed the progress with my case #.  The repair was done and the controller was sent back to me. I received A New controller in my old box. The problem I have is  ( Progress Report said controller being repaired, 1 day , Being Tested, 1 day , and Quality Control
testing, 1 day.. Maybe it didnt pass??)  3 days to fix it then get sent a new controller.. Plus I had a tempered glass screen protector on my controller, so I had to buy one for the new controller.
I am happy I was not charged for the repair.
The Repair/Replacement was kind of weird.
New controller works great.
2022-9-12
Use props
DaKidd
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for the update.  Man, they gave you the run around to try and get money from you, on an expensive controller that was under warranty even. Glad you got a new one in return, and they made it right with you. I on the other hand, am not wanting to go through that. Hope it is the right decision in the long run.  If not, I will fix it myself. Fly safe guy, you are beyond exceptional in explain all the details to me and others.
2022-9-12
Use props
DaKidd
lvl.4
United States

Well, I caved in and sent my controller back today. I looked at someone's YouTube taking one apart and saw how complex that would be and thought I better not try it. Will see what happens to  going through this process as I have chickened out.  
2022-10-15
Use props
CRAIGMART75
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DaKidd Posted at 10-15 13:05
Well, I caved in and sent my controller back today. I looked at someone's YouTube taking one apart and saw how complex that would be and thought I better not try it. Will see what happens to  going through this process as I have chickened out.

Yeah I watched a video and thought the same.. Good Luck with your return..
2022-10-15
Use props
Grimtheviking
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the heads up and the update. Just bought mine a couple of days ago, wonder how many more have had this problem? Will keep an eye on it. Glad all went well for you in the end.
2022-10-17
Use props
DaKidd
lvl.4
United States

Update info:   DJI did its Damage Assessment on the controller and wanted to charge me $69 to repair the cracked Antennas.   I have emailed them, and talked to someone that I could hardly understand today and from what I could maybe understand there service department is off for the weekend, and to check back Monday,  on a eBay item bought item that was new, the RC Pro transmitter, that's under a year warranty. Not happy so far, we will see I guess on Monday.
2022-10-22
Use props
CRAIGMART75
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DaKidd Posted at 10-22 10:20
Update info:   DJI did its Damage Assessment on the controller and wanted to charge me $69 to repair the cracked Antennas.   I have emailed them, and talked to someone that I could hardly understand today and from what I could maybe understand there service department is off for the weekend, and to check back Monday,  on a eBay item bought item that was new, the RC Pro transmitter, that's under a year warranty. Not happy so far, we will see I guess on Monday.

I would push the issue for free repair or replacement since its under 1 year.. ask to talk to a senior or CS Manager about the Issue. It looks like it a MFG Issue. that is happening with this remote and the Smart Controller.
Hope That Helps
S Herring
2022-10-22
Use props
DaKidd
lvl.4
United States

Well, I asked to speak to a supervisor about this, and they said he would call back within 24 hours, and he did. Explained the situation to him, and he said the repair or replace would happen free of charge. Have not received a updated request yet, but one is coming later today was told. Today was my lucky day looks like, thanks DJI for making that so, with help from this post  ( CRAIGMART75 )  I got it done.
2022-10-25
Use props
djiuser_xfeGVYCc3ebu
lvl.3

United States

DaKidd Posted at 10-25 09:54
Well, I asked to speak to a supervisor about this, and they said he would call back within 24 hours, and he did. Explained the situation to him, and he said the repair or replace would happen free of charge. Have not received a updated request yet, but one is coming later today was told. Today was my lucky day looks like, thanks DJI for making that so, with help from this post  ( CRAIGMART75 )  I got it done.

I just sent mine in last Friday and they will receive it this Thursday ,also my default system sounds are not right after a factory reset. I am hoping this goes smoothly but hated sending it back. Did they repair your antenna and send the same unit back?
2022-11-1
Use props
DaKidd
lvl.4
United States

Just got a different one back today. Did not tell this in the return emails. So it has taken 17 days for a return RC Pro to receive back,  and just turned it on to see if I did receive a different one. Activated it, but it no longer has a screen protector on it so this as far as I will go until I do that. Did notice it has 1.7.8 version of DJI app installed on it. Looks good, some suffices where the charging cable goes, I did the same to my other one  I had to on mine so no worries. Got to get that screen protector before I can test further.  I am to fussy to not.  Good luck!   I had to speak to a supervisor to get this done for free, as it was a lot of money to get in the first place, and did not cause this.  
2022-11-1
Use props
CRAIGMART75
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DaKidd Posted at 11-1 10:34
Just got a different one back today. Did not tell this in the return emails. So it has taken 17 days for a return RC Pro to receive back,  and just turned it on to see if I did receive a different one. Activated it, but it no longer has a screen protector on it so this as far as I will go until I do that. Did notice it has 1.7.8 version of DJI app installed on it. Looks good, some suffices where the charging cable goes, I did the same to my other one  I had to on mine so no worries. Got to get that screen protector before I can test further.  I am to fussy to not.  Good luck!   I had to speak to a supervisor to get this done for free, as it was a lot of money to get in the first place, and did not cause this.

Glad you got it replaced. I too lost a screen protector that was on my old controller that i sent back as well. Hope everything tests out good !!!
2022-11-1
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Finally, the first crack appeared this morning, after roughly 11 months of normal use, with plenty of  tender loving care and always being stored in a hard case. Even though the other three sides are still crack-free, I'm still quite disappointed for something at this price point to show this kind of flaw. Wonder if I should get DJI to fix it under warranty.

2022-12-28
Use props
CRAIGMART75
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 12-28 19:08
Finally, the first crack appeared this morning, after roughly 11 months of normal use, with plenty of  tender loving care and always being stored in a hard case. Even though the other three sides are still crack-free, I'm still quite disappointed for something at this price point to show this kind of flaw. Wonder if I should get DJI to fix it under warranty.

It depends on how much longer your warranty period is left. two other people have sent it back in for repair.. but DJI wanted to charge them like $60 to fix it.. they both got some run around and had to talk to upper management to get it covered under warranty.  I think it has 1 year .. so if you are near the end and not flying now do it..

2022-12-28
Use props
SeehawerB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Today my left antenna cracked. RC Pro is almost new. I take care on my devices, trying to not overload any parts. Although the antenna is cracked on both sides (top & bottom side).

Is this a repair case?

And what is the solution? Some weeks later same cracks again?

Bad quality, DJI.
2023-3-26
Use props
SeehawerB
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

2023-3-27
Use props
CRAIGMART75
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

How old is your RC Pro??
If its under like a year , I would get it repaired.. They replaced my whole controller when I sent it in.
They wanted to charge me but I had to escalate it to a Manager there. Because it is a happening to many people.
Hope that helps
2023-3-27
Use props
SeehawerB
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

It's only the best of 6 months. Opened a repair case yesterday, got a ups label in the evening and sent it to hungaria this morning.

I am not convinced that DJI will deliver a lasting solution. These cracks are a problem concerning material and construction of the hinge. If they do not change either the mechanics or the antenna material this will happen again and again and again.
2023-3-28
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

I had a good look at this thread and I got a possible theory of why the plastic cover for the antennas does crack...

It is just a theory, but bear with me...

Nearly all the picture posted in this thread show a similar crack in virtually the same location... That got me thinking. We know when new there are no crack in it and we also know, by reading the comments that some people here have been very careful in opening and closing them..

But I bet, most of you use some sort of case or bag where you store the RC pro when not in use...

Now lets have a look at this p[icture for a moment...

crack cover

crack cover

We can see a nice gap between the two plastic cover (red section). Now what do you think it would happen if I push on arrow one and the only point of contact is above arrow 2..
After several months of being push even when inside the bag and perhaps sometime inadvertently when letting the antenna go, I would say something is got to give...

The point where they all crack, seem to be exacly where most of the torque is applied (think of a long lever)...
If I'm right, then it is definitely a bad design and no one should have to pay to get the plastic cover replaced.

If this is the case, the only way to permantely fix this issue is to eliminate that gap, so that when the antennas are close the don't bind like in this picture, but sits flat against each other... As I don't have the radio (just ordered one), I'm only speculating here at the moment, but once I receive it, I'll look into this matter...

2023-4-5
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

Burt37 Posted at 4-5 02:28
I had a good look at this thread and I got a possible theory of why the plastic cover for the antennas does crack...

It is just a theory, but bear with me...

Burt, there is a small projection on the tip of the upper antenna that fits into a slot on the lower. this locks them in place. Not the reason for the breakage. I ALWAYS make sure mine are locked correctly and I have the cracks.
2023-4-5
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 4-5 07:37
Burt, there is a small projection on the tip of the upper antenna that fits into a slot on the lower. this locks them in place. Not the reason for the breakage. I ALWAYS make sure mine are locked correctly and I have the cracks.

Yes, this! SLIDE the left antenna into the right antenna. DO NOT push the left antenna onto the top of the right antenna, as it creates a nice fulcrum which will eventually crack.
2023-4-5
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Australia

Mobilehomer Posted at 4-5 07:37
Burt, there is a small projection on the tip of the upper antenna that fits into a slot on the lower. this locks them in place. Not the reason for the breakage. I ALWAYS make sure mine are locked correctly and I have the cracks.

As I said I don't have one in hand to look at but if when they are locked into position are like the picture that I post, with that gap and the left antenna is at that angle, that will be pressure where the arrow n2 is pointing... I was just going by that picture and the fact that in most carry cases, the foam does put pressure on the antennas...

I'm sure I'll have a better understanding the soon mine gets here...

Edit:

little clip.jpg
I can see in this picture where the two antenna would lock into each other, but why then the other picture has that gap? If they don't fit on each other perfectly, you would still have pressure points that would eventually lead to cracks especially while the remote is in the bag/case...

2023-4-5
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

Burt37 Posted at 4-5 12:57
As I said I don't have one in hand to look at but if when they are locked into position are like the picture that I post, with that gap and the left antenna is at that angle, that will be pressure where the arrow n2 is pointing... I was just going by that picture and the fact that in most carry cases, the foam does put pressure on the antennas...

I'm sure I'll have a better understanding the soon mine gets here...
Why the gap? They were not locked together correctly. When done properly, there is no gap. Like here.
20230405_165920.jpg
2023-4-5
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Australia

Mobilehomer Posted at 4-5 13:58
Why the gap? They were not locked together correctly. When done properly, there is no gap. Like here.

Thanks for uploading a clear picture... I now see your point...

Then again, plastic doesn't crack unless it has been left in the sun and deteriorate or is subjected to stress.. Those cracks to me, and especially the fact that they are all in the same place, it implies that there is a common denominator... How hard is the retaining spring when you lift the antenna out?

Ok.. Don't worry about it. I'll sort it out when mine get here and then post the finding...
2023-4-5
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

Burt37 Posted at 4-5 14:10
Thanks for uploading a clear picture... I now see your point...

Then again, plastic doesn't crack unless it has been left in the sun and deteriorate or is subjected to stress.. Those cracks to me, and especially the fact that they are all in the same place, it implies that there is a common denominator... How hard is the retaining spring when you lift the antenna out?

It is from compression. There is more interference than necessary and the wrong plastic is being used. It should have just a little more flex.
2023-4-5
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Australia

Mobilehomer Posted at 4-5 14:12
It is from compression. There is more interference than necessary and the wrong plastic is being used. It should have just a little more flex.

If that's the case, there is a very easy fix.. Give me a few days and I'll post a couple of solutions
2023-4-5
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

Burt37 Posted at 4-5 14:34
If that's the case, there is a very easy fix.. Give me a few days and I'll post a couple of solutions

I have already posted the solution.
2023-4-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules