What's the point of the DJI Avata combos?
4657 33 2022-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

So I was hoping for a bundle that included some extra batteries, the  normal controller and the new goggles... instead we got some bundles  that make no sense at all. One bundle with the "old" goggles and the  motion controller, one with the new goggles and motion controller, and one with just the drone and nothing more (not even a controller).

I  understand the  "drone only" pack makes sense as this will be a drone  that crashes often, but motion controller should be an accessory, not a mandatory part of the bundle and batts should be included, as this drone isn't flying that long and you'll need a few of them.

So to make things clear, if you want what should be the  "traditional fly more combo" with the new goggles you need to buy the 1.429€ Avata Pro-View, plus the 249€ fly more kit (two batts only), plus 149€ for the controller, for a total of 1.827€ (and add to that an aftermarket bag and a charger, because none of them come with the bundle) which is more or less what  my M3 standard edition cost me on Amazon.

To make things worse,  you can buy the DJI FPV combo plus two extra batts for 1.650€ on the  official store... or only 1.279€ on Amazon.

So instead of being cheaper, just like the Mini 3 is cheaper than the M3/Air2S, it ends up being more  expensive than it's more capable counterpart.

2022-8-25
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524908 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's odd- but I think the drone alone is for people who already have the goggles. I assume that's the middle combo too for those who have some sort of FPV and need the compatibility . I was surprised there's not even the usual 'fly more' setup with props, batteries/charger (and a useless bag!)
2022-8-25
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Spain

Satureyes Posted at 8-25 09:00
It's odd- but I think the drone alone is for people who already have the goggles. I assume that's the middle combo too for those who have some sort of FPV and need the compatibility . I was surprised there's not even the usual 'fly more' setup with props, batteries/charger (and a useless bag!)

I miss the days of the Miini 2 / Air2S Fly More combos with drone, bag, controller, 2 extra batts, extra props, batt charger and some accessories... all for 599€ / 1299€, but now nothing makes sense.

I skipped the M3 fly more combo because it was overpriced (picked the standard combo, two batts separately, a charger able to charge simultaneously and then I bought an aftermarket bag and saved around 500€) and now I'm going to skip the Avata till they make a proper bundle, no way I'm spending 1.825€ and don't even get a bag or a charger.

I thought this woop could be interesting just to fly as hobby because it has no use in photography, but the lack of a proper bundle is killing it for me. In the end DJI Avata combo just feels like they had plenty of stock of motion  controllers and didn't know what to do with them so they just packed the thing together and threw a random price.

To me the standard DJI FPV combo for 999€ on Amazon is becoming more attractive than ever, then you can just pick the solo Avata if you want the woop and keep the goggles and the controller.
2022-8-25
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 8-25 09:05
I miss the days of the Miini 2 / Air2S Fly More combos with drone, bag, controller, 2 extra batts, extra props, batt charger and some accessories... all for 599€ / 1299€, but now nothing makes sense.

I skipped the M3 fly more combo because it was overpriced (picked the standard combo, two batts separately, a charger able to charge simultaneously and then I bought an aftermarket bag and saved around 500€) and now I'm going to skip the Avata till they make a proper bundle, no way I'm spending 1.825€ and don't even get a bag or a charger.

it's about your use case. I bought it because I ONLY want it for cinematography. I haven no interest in flying through hoops for fun. Only for work.

I was about to invest in a cinewoop and I bought simulator software and a cheap FPV controller to practice.. so for me I have a commercial reason to get into this.
2022-8-25
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 8-25 09:05

it's about your use case. I bought it because I ONLY want it for cinematography. I haven no interest in flying through hoops for fun. Only for work.

I was about to invest in a cinewoop and I bought simulator software and a cheap FPV controller to practice.. so for me I have a commercial reason to get into this.
2022-8-25
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Spain

Satureyes Posted at 8-25 09:41

Yes, of course, that part wasn't part of the critic. I'm a photographer so a DSLR  and a 3 axis drone is all I need for work, but I fly drones as a hobby too and wanted to pick an FPV since a year or so.

Didn't pick the FPV combo because I was hoping that they'd release something with a different form factor. Now we have the Avata, wich seems fine, but the bundles are a mess so I'll have to think obout it.
2022-8-25
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

DJI wants to sell a stockpile of unsold goggles and motion controllers - so bundles are the only option and naked Avata is not available to be ordered
2022-8-25
Use props
djiuser_2wi4Bdjc1nzv
New

United States

I am in the group of folks who would have impulse purchased this but the lack of a bundle with a proper controller made me pause and consider the value and performance of the Avata versus something else.

Would have been a sure-fire sale but the bundling was bungled.
2022-8-25
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Spain

djiuser_2wi4Bdjc1nzv Posted at 8-25 11:15
I am in the group of folks who would have impulse purchased this but the lack of a bundle with a proper controller made me pause and consider the value and performance of the Avata versus something else.

Would have been a sure-fire sale but the bundling was bungled.

Exactly, at first glance on the shop I thought the combos included both the standard controller and the motion controller, but then I watched some unboxing/reviews on YT, and just couldn't believe it U_U
2022-8-25
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I agree the bundles are mental. You could even buy the original DJI FPV bundle for £860 now and then the Stand alone new one.

I was going to buy but these bundles are just silly and I agree it is to shift the stock of motion controllers and V2 goggles that they have in stock. I also think the naming of the new goggles was to deliberately confuse people so they sell their old V2 goggles that they have in stock............ Very poor marketing I think
2022-8-25
Use props
bp328igmail.com
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124590 ft
United States

I guarantee they have a warehouse full of unsold motion controllers and think this is the best way to clear that old stock.
2022-8-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If you remember this is exactly how they sold and continue to sell the M2P. The only thing I find strange is they don’t have a combo that includes a remote..

Dji combos are very strange these days.
2022-8-26
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone knows what is head tracking and hand control that is mentioned in promo videos on the Goggle 2 pro bundle. I remember head tracking was there for Mavic Pro 1 and I think Mavic 2 as well , it would allow to maneuver gimbal up / down / left / right based on tracking of the head movement. But seems Avata only have up / down gimbal move, unless head tracking to the left or right would turn the actual drone to the left or right itself and moving head up or down would turn gimbal up or down. Not sure about this one. Also I saw in promotional video hand control, I guess maybe that is the motion controller or maybe something else. Was wondering if someone has this knowledge they could share. Sorry I might be off topic here.

Thanks in advance, Mike.
2022-8-26
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

Mzp Posted at 8-26 09:15
Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone knows what is head tracking and hand control that is mentioned in promo videos on the Goggle 2 pro bundle. I remember head tracking was there for Mavic Pro 1 and I think Mavic 2 as well , it would allow to maneuver gimbal up / down / left / right based on tracking of the head movement. But seems Avata only have up / down gimbal move, unless head tracking to the left or right would turn the actual drone to the left or right itself and moving head up or down would turn gimbal up or down. Not sure about this one. Also I saw in promotional video hand control, I guess maybe that is the motion controller or maybe something else. Was wondering if someone has this knowledge they could share. Sorry I might be off topic here.

check some reviews - when You use motion controler + headtracking from goggles 2 (new ones) it allow to  mimic of sidefly.
motion controler will be pointing one direction, but You can look around to some degree -  and software will keep one direction of flight You can look sideways. almost like orbit mode.
2022-8-26
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

i dont think it was deliberate but dji certainly didn't mind if customers were confused about the goggles.  the naming convention is fully within their control and unless they have google 3, goggles 4, and goggles 5 lined up in the queue then there's no reason they could have been more clear.
2022-8-26
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

KREMi Posted at 8-26 11:42
check some reviews - when You use motion controler + headtracking from goggles 2 (new ones) it allow to  mimic of sidefly.
motion controler will be pointing one direction, but You can look around to some degree -  and software will keep one direction of flight You can look sideways. almost like orbit mode.

Thank you KREMi, I will check out reviews for this, it sounds interesting!
2022-8-26
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-26 12:43
i dont think it was deliberate but dji certainly didn't mind if customers were confused about the goggles.  the naming convention is fully within their control and unless they have google 3, goggles 4, and goggles 5 lined up in the queue then there's no reason they could have been more clear.

I hear you The Saint, it is definitely confusing , also don't think it's deliberate. I think there is currently 4 goggles out there:

1) White original goggles that is only 2.4 Ghz support, build for Mavic 1, but also compatible with Mavic 2 but Mavic 2 would not utilize 5.8 Ghz band when connected wirelessly to it hindering the range. Headtracking support to rotate the camera up / down / left /right.

2) RE red goggles that is both 2.4 / 5.8 Ghz support with Occusync 2 support that DJI released for Mavic 2 and maybe other drones that came out at that time to connect to them wirelessly. Headtracking support to rotate the camera up / down / left /right.

3) Goggle v2 - Goggles that came out with / for DJI Fpv and are now compatible with Mavic 3 via usb-c to usb-c cable to RC Pro controller. I think it's Occusync 3 (dual band seems like). Lightweight with external battery, no head tracking.

4) Goggles 2 - Seems like the latest version of the Goggles with Occusync 3+ (dual band , head tracking support, capable of transmitting video via wifi over SMTP if I am not mistaken). Even lighter than 3) with head tracking (as folks mentioned above).

5) Goggles v1 - Similar small size / form factor as Goggles v1 , release specifically for enthusiasts attaching DJI Air unit to third party drones, i.e. to racing drones.
Just my cents on what I gathered from research and experience in case someone finds this helpful.

Thanks, Mike.
2022-8-26
Use props
bp328igmail.com
lvl.3
United States

Mzp Posted at 8-26 19:17
I hear you The Saint, it is definitely confusing , also don't think it's deliberate. I think there is currently 4 goggles out there:

1) White original goggles that is only 2.4 Ghz support, build for Mavic 1, but also compatible with Mavic 2 but Mavic 2 would not utilize 5.8 Ghz band when connected wirelessly to it hindering the range. Headtracking support to rotate the camera up / down / left /right.

You forgot about the Goggles v1 (look just like the Goggles v2) that were released for the HD FPV system (Air Units / Vista's)
2022-8-26
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

bp328igmail.com Posted at 8-26 21:03
You forgot about the Goggles v1 (look just like the Goggles v2) that were released for the HD FPV system (Air Units / Vista's)

Ah you are right BP, I had no use for them, I think these are for those who have AirUnit Thank you for correcting me.
2022-8-27
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mzp Posted at 8-27 06:11
Ah you are right BP, I had no use for them, I think these are for those who have AirUnit  Thank you for correcting me.

Yes it is a very confusing lineup and their nomenclature is very bad.

I have all of them and I still get confused.

2022-8-27
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

bjr981s Posted at 8-27 06:54
Yes it is a very confusing lineup and their nomenclature is very bad.

I have all of them and I still get confused.

Yes me too, I don't have v1 for AirUnit , but others I have. The nomenclature is definitely confusing. Hopefully DJI will just keep assigning higher numbers in the future, i.e. next Goggles would be Goggles 3 and so forth so on.
2022-8-27
Use props
djiuser_sSt8FQYk5l9Z
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19065 ft
United States

Definitely disappointed in the bundles and the price once all is said and done. I want the controller not the motion controller.  It looks like a great drone.  I would have already placed my order if the bundle came with the controller.  I’m sure the motion controller is fun and easy but it’s a throw away for me.  And to have to pay another 150 or more on top of the bundle cost is throwing away money.   That’s not even factoring in a case and batteries.  

I have no problem paying for quality.  I have a big problem paying for  things I don’t want, just to get what I do want.  Nice attempt by Dji but I believe they are hurting their sales of this in the long run.   They will see this and change the bundles and then everyone who jumped in early for these bundles will be angry.  

Come on Dji.  It was a well planned attempt.  Just a bad idea
2022-8-27
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

All in agreement here. Just the Avata & Fly More Kit is $908 USD. The Mini 3 Pro with DJI RC is $909 USD. Come on DJI, get some useful bundles out for those of us who already own the DJI FPV and all the controllers.
2022-8-27
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1226762 ft
United States

Makes sense to me...

I already have the DJI FPV, and ever since I flew it the first time, I've wanted to be able to give people FPV demo rides. For that, I need an additional set of goggles, so why not get the new ones? When I discovered that both the DJI FPV goggles and controller that I already have will work with the Avata, that was a "deal clincher" for me.

I wanted to get the Motion Controller eventually anyhow, so its inclusion in the package is a plus for me.

Plus the drone itself is just cool. The ducted props will let me get closer to things than I do now, knowing that if I hit something at low relative velocity, the drone will just bounce off. And have you seen it do the "Turtle Mode" thing? It's a wonder! I fly along the opposite ridge of the canyon that I live in, and if I drop my DJI FPV over there, it's lost and gone forever. With the Avata, in some cases, I could just flip it back upright, take it up, and fly back home.

For me, the $1388 USD for the Pro View package is seriously breath taking, but that's the perfect combo for me.

YMMV
2022-8-28
Use props
manc01
lvl.3
Flight distance : 96880 ft
Australia

Chaosrider Posted at 8-28 15:06
Makes sense to me...

I already have the DJI FPV, and ever since I flew it the first time, I've wanted to be able to give people FPV demo rides. For that, I need an additional set of goggles, so why not get the new ones? When I discovered that both the DJI FPV goggles and controller that I already have will work with the Avata, that was a "deal clincher" for me.

Huge mistake by DJI not having any opinions for the regular controller. I won't purchase this unless another bundle comes out. I can't see it happening though.

Profit above all else seems to be the DJI way. The lack of backwards compatibility it also really poor on their behalf.
2022-8-28
Use props
Jalvi
lvl.1

Australia

The point is to minimise barrier to entry. I decided to go with the Pro View as a noob and get the feel. Once I got the feel, I know I'd want the manual controller but if I started with the manual controller, I would have def struggled.

2022-8-28
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

im going to agree...when more bundles come out, early purchasers will get mad.  exactly why you should be sure what you want and if it's not there, don't buy.

perhaps dji doesn't have enough standard rcs and did not want to hold up the launch.

im in the same boat, chaos, if want to give someone a ride, 2 goggles works....but not with the fpv which is where i would want to show off first...i think.
2022-8-28
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

The Saint Posted at 8-28 21:11
im going to agree...when more bundles come out, early purchasers will get mad.  exactly why you should be sure what you want and if it's not there, don't buy.

perhaps dji doesn't have enough standard rcs and did not want to hold up the launch.

it's other way around
they have way too many magic remotes ;) and noone wanted it with 1st dji fpv
also to sell goggles v2 stock in EU in USA they reduced price to 429$? or something like that
we pay old price + taxes and as v2 are atm most compatibile, they good choice. I bet that in few month we will see more options and compatibility for new goggles 2, let's hope for more pressure from comunity and backwards comp. too

also, I do not know what $@#$@ is there responsible for naming products... old v2 should be just 2
new ones "3" and it would fit as they do work with occu3. now it's confusing v2 vs 2 ;)
2022-8-28
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
United States

manc01 Posted at 8-28 20:52
Huge mistake by DJI not having any opinions for the regular controller. I won't purchase this unless another bundle comes out. I can't see it happening though.

Profit above all else seems to be the DJI way. The lack of backwards compatibility it also really poor on their behalf.

C’mon, man! DJI has done an outstanding job with cross-version compatibility with the Avata. Both the goggles and the controller from my existing DJI FPV are compatible with it! That was the “deal clincher” for me. And the motion controller that comes with the Avata, is compatible with my DJI FPV.

Sure, I’d prefer to see more backward compatibility, specifically, I’d like to be able to use the G2 goggles with the DJI FPV. More generally, I’d like to see a controller, even if it’s a very expensive controller, that can work with all DJI drones. Some of what I want may eventually get done, some won’t. But on balance, the compatibility between the DJI FPV components, and the Avata components, is quite good.

TCS
2022-8-29
Use props
bp328i
lvl.3
United States

Chaosrider Posted at 8-29 04:56
C’mon, man! DJI has done an outstanding job with cross-version compatibility with the Avata. Both the goggles and the controller from my existing DJI FPV are compatible with it! That was the “deal clincher” for me. And the motion controller that comes with the Avata, is compatible with my DJI FPV.

Sure, I’d prefer to see more backward compatibility, specifically, I’d like to be able to use the G2 goggles with the DJI FPV. More generally, I’d like to see a controller, even if it’s a very expensive controller, that can work with all DJI drones. Some of what I want may eventually get done, some won’t. But on balance, the compatibility between the DJI FPV components, and the Avata components, is quite good.

lol C'mon....they made the DJI FPV Remote Controller 2 (which doesn't come in any combo) the DJI Motion Controller (which no one wants and DJI is forcing on everyone) and the Goggles V2 compatible with the Avata.

You call that good cross compatibility? It works for you because you have the DVI FPV Drone. The DJI FPV drone wasn't a huge success and the Motion Controller was a huge failure.
2022-8-29
Use props
DRAGenDROP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You need at least 6-8 battery's, you did forget the ND's :-) and the higher rated charger, you will come over €2000,-, for that money you can get a very great REAL FPV drone! without a useless motion controler
2022-8-29
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I purchased the Avata Pro-View bundle and am starting to wonder if I should send it back now. The tactic of removing the FPV Controller 2 inventory from the store and forcing the Motion Controller is a bit sketchy. I was just going to buy a FPV controller later but paid damn near  $1,388 for this new toy... I should at least get the controller I want with it.  (The Fly More batteries is laughable) - I purchased the Fly More also ... another $279.00 =

I have 14 days it appears. (As long as not crashed)
https://store.dji.com/pages/help ... nt_apply_aftersales

If after 12 days the Motion controller sucks... I am sending it back.
2022-8-29
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would buy the goggles 2 if I could buy it without the motion controller.  As it stands, I just bought the quad and 1 battery.  I'll use the V2 goggles then.   I OWN THE MOTION CONTROLLER.  i WAS STUPID ENOUGH TO BUY IT WITH THE FPV DRONE.  I've used it twice.  DJI, I see what your doing here.  Please just give me options to give you my money.  
2022-8-29
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
United States

bp328i Posted at 8-29 06:09
lol C'mon....they made the DJI FPV Remote Controller 2 (which doesn't come in any combo) the DJI Motion Controller (which no one wants and DJI is forcing on everyone) and the Goggles V2 compatible with the Avata.

You call that good cross compatibility? It works for you because you have the DVI FPV Drone. The DJI FPV drone wasn't a huge success and the Motion Controller was a huge failure.

ol C'mon....they made the DJI FPV Remote Controller 2 (which doesn't come in any combo) the DJI Motion Controller (which no one wants and DJI is forcing on everyone) and the Goggles V2 compatible with the Avata.

(Shrug)

I want the Motion Controller. I have ever since I started flying my FPV.  If I could only have one, I too would prefer the regular FPV stick controller, but I don't have to only have one, and I already have the regular FPV stick controller. I think that existing DJI FPV pilots are one of the primary markets for the Avata.

All things are relative. The level of compatibility between the DJI FPV  and the Avata components is a step up in compatibility for DJI, and I welcome that change in the right direction.

Thx,

TCS
2022-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules