Tracking a boat with DJI Mini 3 Pro
3682 18 2022-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JarnoV
lvl.2
Flight distance : 280915 ft
Finland

Here's a short video using the tracking functionalities of the Mini 3 Pro.

It was quite sketchy to hand catch the drone from the boat. The wind was affecting the drone a bit and of course the boat was moving all the time from the waves. I think it was worth the effort, as I got quite good footage in my opinion.

Do you have any tips for hand catching the drone in a boat?
2022-8-25
Use props
Tez4UK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 142349 ft
United Kingdom

That worked out really nice for you..  I'm scared to death of flying over water always fear the worst
2022-8-25
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

Tez4UK Posted at 8-25 10:38
That worked out really nice for you..  I'm scared to death of flying over water always fear the worst

Same, especially after a near drowning incident with my Mini 1
2022-8-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The follow function seems to work as it should
2022-8-25
Use props
Drone Jockey
lvl.3
Germany

Nice footage with a nice soundtrack.

Regarding hand catching the drone, this video might be helpful:

Did the same lately to avoid landing on a pretty dusty path. With a bit of practice it works like a charm and I bet, even in a boat. Worth a try, I think.
2022-8-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there JarnoV. Good day and thank you for posting this aerial video that you have filmed. Nice flying and have a nice day. .
2022-8-25
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297126 ft
Netherlands

Well…
That is some stunning video man!
Great shots!

I have to get me a boat and living environment like that too.

Hand catching the drone is very doable normally.
You can also force the drone to shut by tilting it 90 degrees sideways once you grabbed it, if needed.

Having said that, on a boat in windy conditions it may be a different ballgame altogether.
My mini 2 grabbed my fingers twice (I know…) in windy conditions.
Add a moving boat to that equation…. That may get tricky indeed.

Yesterday I flew at the coast here and it was quite windy.
I found no good places to land and kind of cursed myself that I hand took off, without thinking about how to land later on in that wind.
So you have to land somewhere and sometime, don’t you?

Brought her down (not too low, just to the point you can grab it from underneath), made her notice my hand and went on with it.
I find the 3 slightly more subtle and stable than the 2 and that helps here too.
There also seems a bit more room to grab it.

On a boat I would only do this when the wind is moderate.
Or perhaps first find a spot (closer to shore?) where the wind is less?
(If you have the time of course)

Super video, imo the effort was worth it (I hope your fingers feel the same ).
2022-8-25
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Came across this on Ali: [url=€ 7,84  20% Off | Hand Guard Voor Dji Mini 3 Pro Hand Guard Hand-Held Take-Off En Landing Veiligheid Guard Drone accessoires &businessType=ProductDetail&title=%E2%82%AC%207%2C84%20%2020%EF%BC%85%20Off%20%7C%20Hand%20Guard%20Voor%20Dji%20Mini%203%20Pro%20Hand%20Guard%20Hand-Held%20Take-Off%20En%20Landing%20Veiligheid%20Guard%20Drone%20accessoires&platform=AE&redirectUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.aliexpress.com%2Fitem%2F1005004615859391.html%3F%26srcSns%3Dsns_Copy%26tid%3Dwhite_backgroup_101%26businessType%3DProductDetail%26spreadType%3DsocialShare]Hand guard[/url]

Not sure if it helps in all situations

2022-8-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing.
2022-8-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cool video.    Mini 3 did a great job in tracking.

I live on a large boat so I hand launch/recover for every flight.  After a few times it just becomes 2nd nature.  Can get a bit tricky when the wind kicks up.
2022-8-26
Use props
Dygme
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151 ft
  • >>>
United States

You mean there's not a little button you can hit and the entire bottom of the craft is
2022-8-27
Use props
JarnoV
lvl.2
Finland

Tez4UK Posted at 8-25 10:38

Yeah I don't want to fly too low, because to my understanding the bottom sensors can get a bit confused of water. As it's always moving and the sensor can't handle reflections from the water so well. If I'm flying a bit higher, for example above 5m, then I don't have anxiety that the drone would suddenly take a dive.
2022-8-28
Use props
JarnoV
lvl.2
Finland

Hannibal_ Posted at 8-25 21:41
Well…
That is some stunning video man!
Great shots!

Yeah hand catching is easy once you practice a few times and have the confidence to do it. I normally always launch and catch it from hand. The Mini 3 is really ergonomic to catch by hand, as it's a bit tilted so the propellers are slightly out of your arms way.

One time I have had my fingers touch the propellers. Not badly luckily.

Also one time I did the 90 degree flip, the drone went crazy and didn't shutdown like normally. It just accelerated downwards.   Luckily I had a good grip of it and managed to keep hold of it. After that incident I haven't flipped it since. I think that at the same time as I was landing, it started to autoland, because of low battery. It somehow override the normal landing sequence and it  wanted to go the return to home height.
2022-8-28
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

JarnoV Posted at 8-28 09:24
Yeah hand catching is easy once you practice a few times and have the confidence to do it. I normally always launch and catch it from hand. The Mini 3 is really ergonomic to catch by hand, as it's a bit tilted so the propellers are slightly out of your arms way.

One time I have had my fingers touch the propellers. Not badly luckily.

Ow….

Never had issues with the 90 degree shutdown…
But I understand if that happened that you are careful with it.

Perhaps the hand guard may add value on your boat.
2022-8-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice to see!
2022-8-30
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lovely video and lovely location to go boating
2022-8-30
Use props
Tanasit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145509 ft
United States

I also had trouble with 90 degree flip after the hand catched, it sped up like crazy but lucky me I let go the RC (with neck strap of course) and used the other hand to pull out the battery.
Later I tried again and same thing, need to pull out the pack!!
2022-8-31
Use props
Gremlin17
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2354931 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This was my attempt at landing and taking off from a boat. The tracking the boat was easy, and the drone tracked well, but the landing........

2022-8-31
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Tanasit Posted at 8-31 10:40
I also had trouble with 90 degree flip after the hand catched, it sped up like crazy but lucky me I let go the RC (with neck strap of course) and used the other hand to pull out the battery.
Later I tried again and same thing, need to pull out the pack!!

Wow…

Weird!

Mine shutdown directly.
I do make it sense my hand before catching it (let the sensors see my hand, it moves up slightly before going down again). Would that make the difference?
2022-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules