AVATA / Goggles 2 - Very short video signal range and penetration !
7560 25 2022-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TonDaron
lvl.2
Flight distance : 157841 ft
France

Hi

I leave in the middle of nowhere, so no interferences around me.

I have very bad results with the video signal transmission. See here on vimeo https vimeo com 743903951
Sometimes video brake just 150m away without major obstacle. For instance my 400mW analog mobula7 can go further...
I can't go past 900m LOS with no obstacles, I loose the video signal.
I can't go past 175m with just a line of trees betwin me and the drone.

This with the goggles 2 and the avata. Very far from the "amazing" video range advertised on youtube.

For comparison, in the excat same spot, I can go about 1,5-2km with my air2s.

Anyone having bad results like this or a way to fix this ?

Edit - added video link and accurate values
2022-8-27
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

This may well be a limitation of using the motion controller. Maybe the FPV Controller 2 will correct.
2022-8-27
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its to the goggles surely the signal from the drone to the Goggles does not go via the controller ?
2022-8-27
Use props
TonDaron
lvl.2
France

bjr981s Posted at 8-27 06:55
This may well be a limitation of using the motion controller. Maybe the FPV Controller 2 will correct.

Lol no, nice try ;) . Be assured, I'm fighting to for DJI to release the fpv controler with the drone. I m asking for the goggles to be compatible with the vista too etc..
But no, Video transmission has nothing to do with the controler ;) The issue comes from the goggles/fly app or the avat itself.
2022-8-27
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Is this FCC or CE...?
2022-8-27
Use props
TonDaron
lvl.2
France

frankymusik Posted at 8-27 08:28
Is this FCC or CE...?

This is CE.
2022-8-27
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1420705 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Yes, the same here. Round about 170 Meters and the videosignal is almost lost.
2022-8-27
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Oh!
That's too bad! But it can't be like that...
I won't be able to test it outside until tomorrow at the earliest, I've only prepared everything "indoor" so far... And the Fly More Kit hasn't arrived yet either...
2022-8-27
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Bigplumbs Posted at 8-27 07:19
Its to the goggles surely the signal from the drone to the Goggles does not go via the controller ?

If it is anything like all the previous Goggle products DJI have released The Goggles act as a secondary controller. The primary controller is the RC Remote Control.

The goggles is used for Video (and for head tracking signal only if the goggles support tracking for the Camera only.) So no Operation control from any of their Goggles.

Check my Inventory in my Avatar. I have all the dji goggles and have used those capabile of head tracking using dual goggles.

So to be clear, Control signal is from controller to Drone.
Video is from Drone to goggles.

Also 5.8 Ghz has lower range than 2.4Ghz.
2022-8-29
Use props
Aerorealms
lvl.2
Spain

wow!!!! that's unflyable...well, all the early reviews are from paid youtubers. If you look carefully all of them follow the same premises and say the same points.
2022-8-29
Use props
mike3deep
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4655722 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah I'm getting the same thing on the CE version.  Hoping it's something simple that can be fixed on a firmware update.  Also just wondering are the FCC and CE versions completely separate products, or are they the same and just limited in the software/firmware due to regulations?  Would be useful to know for if I ever visited the states.  
2022-8-30
Use props
TonDaron
lvl.2
France

mike3deep Posted at 8-30 14:09
Yeah I'm getting the same thing on the CE version.  Hoping it's something simple that can be fixed on a firmware update.  Also just wondering are the FCC and CE versions completely separate products, or are they the same and just limited in the software/firmware due to regulations?  Would be useful to know for if I ever visited the states.

As far as I understand, hardware is the same. FCC/CE limitation is software applied.. I don't think there will be a fix cause the issue is due to CE regulation. DJI is just complying to CE rules. The reduction in signal power is very huge.
2022-8-30
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

mike3deep Posted at 8-30 14:09
Yeah I'm getting the same thing on the CE version.  Hoping it's something simple that can be fixed on a firmware update.  Also just wondering are the FCC and CE versions completely separate products, or are they the same and just limited in the software/firmware due to regulations?  Would be useful to know for if I ever visited the states.

If it is like other DJI drones, then it is software settings depending on your GPS location.
2022-8-30
Use props
djiuser_rPttewzTGU0m
New
United Kingdom

I get the same issue, video loss after 150m. But my mini 3 will go 2km before any loss in the same location. Very annoying, I hope someone finds a fix for this.
2022-8-30
Use props
d-boone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34144 ft
Switzerland

Same issue here. Flying on an open field, the signal almost drops when flying behind a tree at 250m distance. Also flying around the house is a struggle.
Why is Avata limited to 2 km range in Europe, while other DJI products have 6 km range for Europe?

DJI please provide a solution
2022-8-30
Use props
djiuser_d8zGyvUtZPQk
New

Italy

Would the same problem happen with the Avata kit with the V2 goggles? I remember that the V2's where listed for 6km back then.
2022-8-31
Use props
ThomasNe
New

Switzerland

djiuser_d8zGyvUtZPQk Posted at 8-31 00:24
Would the same problem happen with the Avata kit with the V2 goggles? I remember that the V2's where listed for 6km back then.

That is the same that DC Rainmaker states in his video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_dKeZd9Olc&t=250s 5:51. Range in CE Mode seems to be much worse for Goggles 2 (2km) than V2 (6km).

2022-9-1
Use props
Rhysie
New

Ireland

OKay, im glad I found this bc I have the exact same issue. Got the Pro Avata pack expecting something resembling the range on my Mavic 2 Pro and couldn't believe that I'm losing signal within 200m. Really disapointed with this. So basically to get wild shots I need to be physically very close to al the geographic things im looking to capture. LAME!
2022-9-7
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you stepped out to your fence-line and tried it? Those trees and then around the corner are soaking up your signal.
2022-9-7
Use props
StuntJumper Ste
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56949 ft
United Kingdom

Aerorealms Posted at 8-29 08:00
wow!!!! that's unflyable...well, all the early reviews are from paid youtubers. If you look carefully all of them follow the same premises and say the same points.

To be Devils advocate, maybe the youtubers have been genuine and didnt have an issue with range as all the ones I have seen have been in the FCC region. I cant think of one in the CE region.
2022-9-7
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

djiuser_d8zGyvUtZPQk Posted at 8-31 00:24

Of course, V2 googles were advertised as 6Km because the DJI PFV in CE mode could transmit video at 2.4GHz at 0.1W while the Avata can only transmit video at 5.8GHz at 0.025W.

Both Goggles 2 and V2 range will be about the same when paired either with the Avata or the FPV. You'll probably get a marginal benefit on the V2 because it has 4 antennas, but appart from that, the technology on both is excatly the same and the range you can get comes from the power the drone is able to transmit.

If you want better range the only solution is to force FCC on it, there's a free mod and also paid hacks to do it. 5.8GHz CE power is 0.025W and FCC power is 2W wich yep, it's 80 times more power.
2022-9-7
Use props
Purplefish
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5715180 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same issue with the video signal on my Avata. I  am in the UK (subject to CE regulation). I note the comments above  and indeed found the YouTube links to alter the drone's region to FCC, but surely this would be illegal (albeit difficult for an authority to check), but in the event that it was found out...
2022-9-21
Use props
fans77059f16
lvl.1

Belgium

Same issue here. 150 meters and connection is dropping. Please fix Dji
2022-9-22
Use props
TonDaron
lvl.2
France

Hi all.

I have used my avata under both FCC and EU regulation.
EU radio power makes avata almost unflyable. Flying under FCC rules makes the avata perfect for the job.
2022-9-22
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice test.
2022-9-22
Use props
soldk
lvl.1