Request: Allow video recording in Course Lock mode
2878 11 2022-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tioe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 144649 ft
Ireland

The last Dji machine I had could do this, all be it this was a Phantom 2 & nearly 10 years ago.

It seems that course lock flight on the Mini Pro 3 is possible...great!!...but that video recording is not possible...sad face.

I hope that ommiting video recording in course lock mode was not a marketing decision to help with sales of other dji drones where course lock video recording is allowed, or to help sales of other dji drones with 360˚rotating cameras....of course not, I hope that video recording will be coming in an update soon...

With course lock & video recording I can complete this video including the light house flyby shot (@2:20) that I used a camera on 360˚rotating gimbal to take.

Thanks Dji
2022-8-27
Use props
SideshowBoB44
lvl.2
Flight distance : 405620 ft
United Kingdom

Not exactly course lock but if you set obstacle avoidance to bypass, there is then an option to disable sideways flight.

Makes its easy to fly straight ahead while recording.
2022-8-27
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I miss the RTH that my Mini 2 had, that was like course lock, you could turn the bird whilst heading home without upsetting the RTH
2022-8-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there tioe. Good day and thank you for giving out these information. I will forward these information to the designated DJI Department for attention. Thank you.
2022-8-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1 great suggestion.
2022-8-28
Use props
tioe
lvl.2
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-27 19:14
Not discounting the usefulness of Course Lock, but why couldn't you achieve the same thing using Spotlight or flying manually?

I thought too that spotlight would allow this to be accomplished, but it seems not. Yes I can fly a big arc around a subject and keep it in frame, but that's not exactly what course lock can do.

Here's an example of the path my other drone took in that lighthouse shot (@2:20), and how course lock could be used to achieve it. (My other drone flew in a straight line on the same course, only the gimbal rotated).
As far as spotlight goes, it seems that I need to fly a wide arc around an object to keep it in frame. The whole point here is that I want to fly a straight line, not an arc.

As far as flying manual, I don't think it would be possible to rotate the Mini Pro 3 on it's own axis while flying in a straight line .

If the Mini Pro 3 could record video in course lock mode then it would allow flying close to objects and rotating the camera as it flew past as though the camera were on a rotating gimbal.
If there is a trick that I'm missing I'd love to know.

path.png
2022-8-28
Use props
tioe
lvl.2
Ireland

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-27 20:45
Hello there tioe. Good day and thank you for giving out these information. I will forward these information to the designated DJI Department for attention. Thank you.

Thanks Dji Stephen, I hope this will be well received and that the Mini Pro 3 can be the best Mini Pro 3 that it can be
2022-8-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

tioe Posted at 8-28 02:00
Thanks Dji Stephen, I hope this will be well received and that the Mini Pro 3 can be the best Mini Pro 3 that it can be

Hi there tioe. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. If you have any concerns or any issues in the future with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and assist you. Thank you. .
2022-8-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That would be nice!
2022-8-31
Use props
tioe
lvl.2
Ireland

Update

Here is the reply Dvi Support gave.

"We got feedback from our engineers about your inquiry. Some old models such as Mavic Pro, and Phantom series support the Course Lock and rotate the camera.

But DJI Mini 3 Pro does not support the Course Lock function and rotate the camera. At present, the directional delay of time-lapse photography can lock the course.

We are so sorry that there is no such function and sorry for the inconvenience caused you. DJI support team values this issue very much and has forwarded it to our engineers for their special attention. Hope this function will be added in the future."

2022-9-10
Use props
Holle75
New
Italy

+1

still course lock "the old way" is a heavily missed feature when moving the drone by yourself and not an automatism. This function did exist, would be a pitty if the "engineers" wouldn´t be able to reimplement it.
2023-8-15
Use props
OliSyl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1621335 ft
France

+1. I miss the course lock mode implemented on the first Mavic Pro.
2023-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules