Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Don't try this at home
2022-8-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there fateofangel. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Just a reminder that the DJI Mini 2's motors can be stopped mid-flight anytime once the pilot performs a combination stick command ( CSC ). Stopping the motor in mid-flight will cause the aircraft to crash. In addition I will post an additional information about the CSC. Thank you.

2022-8-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

That was insane.  
2022-8-28
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

hi

With the CSC setting NOT to always it will not stopped motors using CSC when there is no collision ect.
So in normal flight without any crash in flight CSC does not stop motors.

cheers
JJB
2022-8-28
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

I am curious what was the altitude i think it was not 120, but something about 80m? How do you think
2022-8-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

With regards to height, why not ask the maker of the video, it would avoid speculation.

With regards to stopping the motors in mid air. As JJB has said, the CSC response needs to be set to "Anytime" / "Always" for this to  happen, if the setting is left at the default the drone will most likely NOT stop its motors. Tested from height down to around 1m with a Mavic Mini. If the setting is changed to "Anytime" / "Always" the  motors will stop after the CSC has been held for around 1.7 seconds.

With regards to restarting the motors, a separate CSC is required to try to restart the motors, i.e. if you continue to hold the motor-stopping-CSC no attempt will be made to restart the motors, tested with a hand held and wobbled Mavic Mini, possibly a M2P/Z and perhaps a Mini 2.
An 'in actual flight' motor stop and restart has been attempted with either a Mavic Mini or a Mini 2 but, from memory,  the pilot did release the motor stopping CSC and the drone crashed, from 1000+ft.
If the drone tumbles then the restarting CSC would need to be held for whatever time is necessary for the drone to move into the 'acceptable angle of tilt' zone, outside that zone the motors will not restart, again tested with a hand held and wobbled Mavic Mini etc. etc..
Even then I do not know if a Mini type drone, with freely pivoting propeller blades, will be within the 'acceptable tilt zone' for 'long enough' to restart the motors in mid air.

Finally, it may be necessary to give the drone considerable throttle to halt the fall, it depends on whether or not the Mavic type drones are 'clever enough' to 'realise' they are still falling, a Phantom 3 is not and the motors restart at idle and remain there until given throttle.
2022-8-28
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Poland

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-28 05:04
With regards to height, why not ask the maker of the video, it would avoid speculation.

With regards to stopping the motors in mid air. As JJB has said, the CSC response needs to be set to "Anytime" / "Always" for this to  happen, if the setting is left at the default the drone will most likely NOT stop its motors. Tested from height down to around 1m with a Mavic Mini. If the setting is changed to "Anytime" / "Always" the  motors will stop after the CSC has been held for around 1.7 seconds.

thanks, that very informative
2022-8-28
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Poland

i confirm there is a quite long delay to proceed CSC
2022-8-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fateofangel Posted at 8-28 07:02
i confirm there is a quite long delay to proceed CSC

"i confirm there is a quite long delay to proceed CSC" ??
It is around 1.7 seconds every time I have tried it with Mini type and Mavic 2 drones and in the flight logs of "My drone fell from the sky, why?" threads where other drones have been brought done by its accidental use.

It is longer in the Phantom 3, fortunately, otherwise I would have lost my P3.
That is from the time stamps and stick positions recorded in the logs and not subject to human perception.
1.7 second or less is  IMO far TOO SHORT a delay to be safe and left as normal flying setting,

from the thread  "CSC command"  
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... d=272219#pid2830348
2022-8-28
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Poland

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-28 05:04

i received info it was max (400 ft)
2022-8-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have not tried it (and won't)
2022-8-31
Use props
Advanced