First Avata Impressions
853 3 2022-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chaosrider
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1226762 ft
United States

I already have the DJI FPV, and I’ll be getting an Avata.

I just got a new job, and it's been my intention since I accepted the offer last Saturday to buy a new drone when I get my first paycheck.

But which one? The three contenders were:

Mini-3

Avata

Second DJI FPV (for doing ride alongs)

Based on some general commentary pre-release. I had concluded that I would not get the Avata. That's now reversed, and now I'm certain that's the new drone that I *will* get.

When I watched the DJI promo vid, my response was very strongly, "I'm going to take a closer look at this."

Then I watched the half hour commentary vid by "Original Dobo". I'd never seen him before, and he's really quite good. About 8 minutes into the 31 minute vid, I said to myself, "I gotta get me one a' these!" So the drone that I'm getting with my first paycheck was no longer in question...it will be an Avata.

But then as I continued watching the vid, something that I hoped was true, turns out to be actually true.

I can use the controller and goggles from my existing DJI FPV with the Avata! He explicitly pointed out that this means if you have those, you can do "ride alongs", using the goggles that come with the DJI FPV, to let someone else watch the vid from the Avata on those goggles, in real time, while I fly it with the new goggles. I've wanted to do that since the first day I flew my DJI FPV!

So now the question is, instead of waiting for my first paycheck, how many days can I hold off before I buy my new Avata?

The price is the only reason for my hesitation. I could just buy the drone alone, and fly it with my existing RC and goggles, and at only $640, I'd do that in a heartbeat, if I thought that was the right answer for me.

But it isn't.

I want/need the second set of goggles for what I want to do—give demo rides, with the audience being able to watch via the FPV goggles. I want to get the IMC eventually. At a price of $1388 for the full package, I have to catch my breath. I haven't priced it out yet, but I very strongly suspect that buying the components separately...just the drone now, and the goggles and IMC later...will cost a fair amount more than that. Have any of you priced that out?

I was worried that the Avata might make the existing DJI FPV obsolete, but it won't. For one thing, at 60 mph max speed, it's a snail compared to the 87 mph max for the DJI FPV. I've flown my DJI FPV at 86 mph up and down my canyon, and that's view is very seriously more impressive than it is at 60 mph.

So, the obvious answer is that I need one of each. The only real question is, how long will I hold off before making that happen?

At this point, it looks like DJI has hit a home run with the Avata. Thanks, DJI folks!

:-)
TCS

2022-8-28
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just be sure that the new googles and the old googles will work together... as I've not seen that mentioned anywhere yet.
2022-8-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We really appreciate you for sharing these insights of yours with our new DJI product. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-8-28
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1226762 ft
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 8-28 14:48
Just be sure that the new googles and the old googles will work together... as I've not seen that mentioned anywhere yet.

Everything I've seen, from the specs to the reviews, say that they will work.

But, that's why I always buy from Amazon. If something doesn't work in some way beyond what I'll accept, I just ship it back, no muss, no fuss.

Your point is well taken, however. If it turns out that I CAN'T set the V2 goggles up as audience goggles with the Avata, that would certainly be a returnable offense!

Thx,

TCS
2022-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules