Headset safety for RF Exposure
1425 6 2022-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287841 ft
Australia

I know I will get bagged out for this but have to ask.

Normal FPV headsets are just recievers, but it appears the DJI Goggles are also transmitting. Though they do not function on the same frequencies as cell phones they do transmit in the gigahertz range. Normally the rule for RF exposure is that the higher as in gigahertz range is actually more destructive and harmful than lower frequency as in megahertz. These goggles would either be 2.4gigahertz or 5.8gigahertz.

I don't know if I would be comfortable to have such a device posititioned on the frontal lobe region where it is constantly transmitting. Is there a reason why it would need to transmit if the controller in your hand is doing all the work?

Thoughts?

2022-8-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We may need to coordinate this with our designated team for further clarification. We will keep you posted. Thank you for your continued support!
2022-8-28
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

JB did a not bad video about how much radiation You will get this way - check it overall I think way more our daily cellphones are bad for us then RC goggles
2022-8-28
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Australia

KREMi Posted at 8-28 23:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDcgGN0qefIJB did a not bad video about how much radiation You will get this way - check it  overall I think way more our daily cellphones are bad for us then RC goggles

It is a touchy subject. Again, it's not the device that's the concern but the wavelength being transmitted. SHF Super High Frequencies are documented as dangerous as far are close human exposure. In my work, we studied communications principles and exposure to RF radiation. Documented in our reference material was the fact that extended and close proximity exposure to SHF is quite harmful and should be avoided. Cellphones are not in the SHF, they are in the UHF spectrum. As the device is spaced further from the body the exposure is reduced hence my concern that its smack bang on your frontal lobe by literally 3-4cm. while using it. Thats pretty close for a device transmitting SHF radiation and I dont think it would transmit anything less than 1watt.

I don't want to be the tin foil hat user but would suggest potential buyers of this drone really look into it before purchasing. I was considering purchasing one but have pulled out now based on the concern of what the headset is transmitting. If the headset is a receiver then sold, if its actively transmitting, its a no deal. Just saying.
2022-8-28
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

GLOBAL HAWK Posted at 8-28 23:55
It is a touchy subject. Again, it's not the device that's the concern but the wavelength being transmitted. SHF Super High Frequencies are documented as dangerous as far are close human exposure. In my work, we studied communications principles and exposure to RF radiation. Documented in our reference material was the fact that extended and close proximity exposure to SHF is quite harmful and should be avoided. Cellphones are not in the SHF, they are in the UHF spectrum. As the device is spaced further from the body the exposure is reduced hence my concern that its smack bang on your frontal lobe by literally 3-4cm. while using it. Thats pretty close for a device transmitting SHF radiation and I dont think it would transmit anything less than 1watt.

I don't want to be the tin foil hat user but would suggest potential buyers of this drone really look into it before purchasing. I was considering purchasing one but have pulled out now based on the concern of what the headset is transmitting. If the headset is a receiver then sold, if its actively transmitting, its a no deal. Just saying.

It will be similar to using your cell phone with WiFi calling (2.4 or 5Ghz).   Haven't heard of any concern, and cell phones are placed at your ears and closer to your brain.

Anyways, the length of exposure is relatively short for most people.   And if you are worried, you can always use the Goggle video output to an iPad.  Not as immersive, but less radiation.
2022-8-29
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

Even if the glasses transmit, emitted power is so low it won't harm you at all, no matter the hours you fly... Yep microwaves work at 2.4Ghz but at 800W and in a closed box where waves can bounce; open a microwave, and efficiency will go downhill and will take several minutes to start heating a glass of water a bit.

Emissions on DJI O.3 products work at about 2W in FCC and just 0.1W in CE in an open environment, so It's like trying to heat a coffee cup by screaming at it.

Living 24/7 near a high power antenna for several years, that could be dangerous. Fly 1 hour or having you cell phone in your trousers all the day... not dangerous. The most danger you are going to get form FPV glasses is the LiPo catching fire by your head.

2022-8-29
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Australia

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 8-29 03:22
Even if the glasses transmit, emitted power is so low it won't harm you at all, no matter the hours you fly... Yep microwaves work at 2.4Ghz but at 800W and in a closed box where waves can bounce; open a microwave, and efficiency will go downhill and will take several minutes to start heating a glass of water a bit.

Emissions on DJI O.3 products work at about 2W in FCC and just 0.1W in CE in an open environment, so It's like trying to heat a coffee cup by screaming at it.

All valid points but the frequency that  the devices use is the concern. Anyways, suppose it like smoking, you are made aware of the risk and so if you take it up you have to accept the potential consequences. Unless the googles can put into RX only mode, I won't bother with the drone. On a side not, it is over priced for my budget and expected use.

Thanks for the reply.

2022-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules