Cloudy timelapse extension experiment
653 18 2022-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297126 ft
Netherlands

During the holiday I have been waiting for an opportunity to shoot some moving clouds timelapse.
But no clouds...

This morning I started flying the mini 2 and noted...

Clouds!

Quickly went back to retrieve the mini 3 and figured I wanted to try out something else too.
The extension function to add a second extra to the time selected.
Wow... that is a sweet function for timelapse (bare in mind I am a serious timelapse novice, hyperlapses are also on the list to try out).
In combination with the 30 second notification that the timelapse is almost done, that works wonderful.

I did some timelapses before but I never dared to select a duration that was longer than 5 seconds or so.
With the extension function you can really utilise what is left in the battery (still had 26% left though, daredevil me).
With 3/4 of a normal battery it resulted in a 19 second timelapse.

Nice and controllable.

Question: I used a 2 second interval in this one, would a longer interval make it more dramatic or just more stuttery and is drama more depending on the skies itself?

2022-8-30
Use props
Goggles Pisano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can practice time lapse using cell phone till you figure out best settings for you, its a lot less stressful...
2022-8-30
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

If you notice, when you are selecting length, it shows the time to complete in the bar right above the selection. Then tap the battery status at the top to see time remaining until low battery landing. Make sure this time is about 3 minutes longer than time for picture taking. You can do a rough calculation using 25 frames per second of video.
This example is with Air 2S using 3 second interval. It took about 22 minutes air time.

2022-8-30
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

The stutter you are seeing looks like wind. You can try to correct this in post using stabilization. Resolve does this pretty well.
2022-8-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There's something wonderfully soporific about cloudlapses.  A longer time interval would give the impression of faster drifting across the sky.  I use a 2 sec interval with the Pocket2.
2022-8-30
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Goggles Pisano Posted at 8-30 09:24
You can practice time lapse using cell phone till you figure out best settings for you, its a lot less stressful...

Good suggestion.
But I also need to get comfortable that the mini is in the air and will normally do it’s thing.

That worked pretty well, during this shoot I went back to the cabin to put a battery I drained a shoot before that in the charger. It was close by, but still

2022-8-30
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-30 09:32
If you notice, when you are selecting length, it shows the time to complete in the bar right above the selection. Then tap the battery status at the top to see time remaining until low battery landing. Make sure this time is about 3 minutes longer than time for picture taking. You can do a rough calculation using 25 frames per second of video.
This example is with Air 2S using 3 second interval. It took about 22 minutes air time.

Wow!

Nice to also have water and sunset along with the (very nice) clouds!
22 minutes… yep, must have been for sure.
They take a whole lot of time.

I noticed the displayed timing indicators, indeed.
Very handy.

On my fly app, the remaining battery fly time is always displayed next to the percentage, by the way.
Also convenient indeed.

The video itself also takes some time to render, slightly more than I anticipated for a timelapse of such length. But nothing critical and you can start landing during that time if necessary (for me that was not the case and I even filmed some more afterwards).
2022-8-30
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Blériot53 Posted at 8-30 10:52
There's something wonderfully soporific about cloudlapses.  A longer time interval would give the impression of faster drifting across the sky.  I use a 2 sec interval with the Pocket2.

You also make “lapses” with the pocket?
Cool!

Yep, I think you are right about the longer interval.
Perhaps there is no 1 setting and it may also depend on the speed of movement of the clouds when shooting, I was thinking this afternoon.

“Cloudlapses”… cool…
2022-8-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hannibal_ Posted at 8-30 11:43
You also make “lapses” with the pocket?
Cool!

Yeah, the pocket2 can do all manor of things. Here's one l did recently

2022-8-30
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

NICE!  Is the speed set, or can you change it?  My three favorites are Clouds, Sunset/Sun Up, and Flowers.  Thanks for sharing.
2022-8-30
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Blériot53 Posted at 8-30 11:55
Yeah, the pocket2 can do all manor of things. Here's one l did recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYucrNJvqiU&t=9s

Cool!

I presume the pocket was on a tripod?
2022-8-30
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 8-30 17:32
NICE!  Is the speed set, or can you change it?  My three favorites are Clouds, Sunset/Sun Up, and Flowers.  Thanks for sharing.

You can select the interval on which the pictures are taken, the length of the video you want to make (but you can extend that as long as you like during the shoot) and the speed of the mini.
The latter is probably for hyperlapse where the aircraft also moves.
I still need to check that out.
2022-8-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hannibal_ Posted at 8-30 23:23
Cool!

I presume the pocket was on a tripod?

Yes, for sure
I couldn't hold it still for that long
2022-8-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very nice Hannibal.
2022-8-31
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Wonderful footage! We appreciate you for sharing this with us, Hannibal. Hope you could get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI Pilots above. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-8-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks very nice!
2022-8-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice timelapse Hannibal.  
2022-8-31
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Thank you all!
2022-8-31
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Hannibal_ Posted at 8-30 23:29
You can select the interval on which the pictures are taken, the length of the video you want to make (but you can extend that as long as you like during the shoot) and the speed of the mini.
The latter is probably for hyperlapse where the aircraft also moves.
I still need to check that out.

Thank you for the reply, when I get to that, I now have a little knowledge.  Thanks for sharing.
2022-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules