Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

/rant~
So I got this Motion Controller with the Avata Pro View bundle and to put it simply... it sucks. I am not at all sure what DJI is thinking; fire your motion contoller dev that came up with this right away!  I have a page long list of gripes... it feels cheaply made, non intuitive buttons, to go up you have to tilt your hand all the way up to the arrow and lose sight of what is in front of you, same for descent... literally blind since the camera looks up and down at the same time. The turn (yaw) by tilt is really confusing and super dumb.

So I contacted After Sales support and they will not swap out the motion controller for an FPV Controller or compensate me for the turd stick.  OK then. Unfortunately, I will be returning the entire Avata Pro View... along with the Fly More combo unless someone at DJI comes to their senses in the next 12 days.  If the FPV Contollers were in stock (USA) I may just eat $200 and get one... and use the dick stick as a backup perhaps. Not the case or option currently.  Oh well... I have other drones and will look at another brand for this cinewhoop style drone. DJI will lose sales over this, including mine.  I honestly should have waited and NOT purchased the Avata, but really had no idea the Motion controller sucked so bad. I went in with an open mind. ~rant\

My Advice... WAIT until DJI gets better controller options before purchasing.

2022-8-31
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

dji sells the avata drone only kit for those who want to create their own configuration.  many of us already have the dji googles v2 and motion controller from the dji fpv drone so we are not so critical of the current avada offering and we have become used to using the mc but i agree the offerings are lame and the mc is not exactly the best.
2022-8-31
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

Have you tried turning on head tracking for Goggle 2?
With head tracking you can look (point camera) at other directions.
2022-8-31
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

nosnoop Posted at 8-31 11:12
Have you tried turning on head tracking for Goggle 2?

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give that a try and see if that helps.
Can you still ascend and descend with the head tracking on? ~ What I mean by that is not a gradual angled descent but a straight up and down vertical movement? How do you see the arrow at the top and bottom to select it?  

I am at work and will try as soon as I get home. This is a big reason I do not like this controller and if it changes that then you are DJI's and my hero. It's bad enough I am in goggles and can't see my surroundings let alone blinded when doing direct vertical movements.
2022-8-31
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-31 10:58
dji sells the avata drone only kit for those who want to create their own configuration.  many of us already have the dji googles v2 and motion controller from the dji fpv drone so we are not so critical of the current avada offering and we have become used to using the mc but i agree the offerings are lame and the mc is not exactly the best.

Yeah.. I am not liking the motion controller at all... I need the real controller that me and most customers are used to. Avata last I knew was not available for shipment yet. I am new to FPV as will be a lot of others, guessing this same experience and rant will become common in the coming months.
2022-8-31
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for your post you have convinced me not to buy it
2022-8-31
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

Bob Brown Posted at 8-31 11:29
Thanks for the suggestion. I will give that a try and see if that helps.
Can you still ascend and descend with the head tracking on? ~ What I mean by that is not a gradual angled descent but a straight up and down vertical movement? How do you see the arrow at the top and bottom to select it?  

You may have to experiment to find out how it works with controller and head tracking.
I don't have the drone, I just saw it in reviews and videos.

Apparently, for straight up/ascend and down/descend, you simply put the controller completely flat (tilt 90 degree up/down from its normal vertical position) facing up or facing down and press throttle.   You don't need to look for the circle.

This is a video showing you how head tracking works (it's in Korean).
The video also mentioned that head tracking only works with motion controller, and it does not work with the FPV remote controller.

With head tracking, you can make the Avata fly sideways, and do things like orbits.

2022-8-31
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

my suggestion is give the motion controller a chance.  when i first tried it, didn't like it at all.  when i learned the avata only came with mc and dji is pushing it, i gave it another chance.  first using the simulator and then in the field.  it's ok and i can see it getting better eventually.  but that's me coming from a rc2 my entire life and the mc just feels weird but we'll see i guess.
2022-8-31
Use props
fans632df037
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69111 ft
United States

I just want DJI to add the AVATA to the new smart controller pro.. what's so hard about that ?
2022-9-1
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

nosnoop Posted at 8-31 11:12
Have you tried turning on head tracking for Goggle 2?

THIS.

Saved it. The head tracking is a WINNER! Changes everything about this controller.
I still do not like the tilt left right for turning but I will get used to it.

Pro tip... if during head tracking the directional circle gets off center, press the STOP button and it will auto re-center the directional circle. Not sure how it gets off center but it does occasionally.

Thanks a bunch for the suggestion... the MC is growing on me as a result.  Very tough to adopt.
2022-9-1
Use props
Shank McGuilicutty
lvl.1
United States

Like any and every thing else, something new just takes getting used to.

I've been flying FPV for about 11 years now and the motion controller is very intuitive to me.  I fly planes more than quads, but I have 10 or so quads that I've built over the last 8 or 9 years and am pretty good at freestyle.  I was able to fire up the motion controller and thread the needle at full speed within 3 or 4 minutes.  I actually like the way it controls the Avata - it's super locked in and smooth - something that takes years to master with traditional controls.

I will acknowledge that this is aimed at the beginner - someone with literally no FPV experience can pick this up and complete a successful flight - something that is completely impossible with one of my freestyle rigs with absolutely no safety or stability capability.

I also love the fact that, as opposed to my other cinewhoop style quads, that I don't need to focus on holding altitude. Focusing instead on the shot is clutch.
2022-9-1
Use props
djiuser_JnFtBuVTQSDg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1094557 ft
  • >>>
United States

You’re the first person that I’ve heard say that they don’t like the motion controller. Honestly a toddler could use it and it actually works amazing. As far as the drone being made “cheaply “again you could not be more wrong. I’ve crashed this drone at least 10 times since having it and not one speck of damage yet.
2022-9-26
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I genuinely don't think that the Avata's MC was designed for experienced pilots. For someone like me who has never flown FPV (I've been a "standard" DJI user since the Phantom 2), the MC is probably the closest I'm getting to FPV for now.

For anyone who wants better and more advanced controls. I think the regular FPV RC is a better choice. That said, the absence of an FPV kit (Avata, FPV RC2 and Goggles 2) is a bit odd to me
2022-9-26
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

djiuser_JnFtBuVTQSDg Posted at 9-26 17:24
You’re the first person that I’ve heard say that they don’t like the motion controller. Honestly a toddler could use it and it actually works amazing. As far as the drone being made “cheaply “again you could not be more wrong. I’ve crashed this drone at least 10 times since having it and not one speck of damage yet.

Tell me about it - that frame is quite well built. Granted, under the right circumstances, it can be damaged badly enough, but it seems many parts are replaceable. And then there's the DJI warranty. That's not available in the UAE but at least some dealers offer extended warranties / insurance against damage from user incompetence

I've crashed my Avata into walls, branches, door frames and bushes all while trying to learn to thread the needle and fly close to the ground, and the number of times it has crashed (it's managed to save itself more times than it's crashed) is surprising.
2022-9-26
Use props
kikivoinea
lvl.2
Romania

I don't understand this hate with MC. I've been flying drones for like 8-9 years now. Since NAZA. And FPV is pretty new to me. And Motion Controller is great for me.

Some of you people think that DJI actually cares about few that are actual FPV pilots. They care to bring FPV to all other drone amateurs. For a newby , MC is great.

I even put my 5 years old son drive it and did it well.

Good job DJI with MC . And the fact that they "pushed" MC to all AVATA buyers was the only way new-pilots could experience it .
2022-9-27
Use props
Xviews
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229255 ft
Germany

Don't cry me a river
2022-9-27
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

The motion controller is really fun, i understand its limitations, but its really great to just have some fun. Its like driving an RC car but in the air... And with the FPV controller, ill do other stuff!
2022-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules