(FAO DJI) - [POLL] Are you happy with 3 second till RTH kicks in?
1273 28 2022-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For me, with this Mini 3 Pro, the current 3 seconds for RTH to kick in after disconnect is far too soon, you get no time to adjust the RC to try to get a better signal.
I am not sure how long the Mini 2 or the P4P takes before RTH kicks in but i am 95% sure its longer than 3 seconds.
With that in mind...

DJI, the poll speaks for itself, please can you either add a user-definable time (this is the preferred method) after the RC disconnects before RTH engages or, at least change it from the 3 seconds to something more realistic that will allow the pilot to try to adjust the RC to attempt to reacquire the signal, 3 seconds is ridiculously fast and the majority of the time, by the time the pilot realises that the signal has been lost, its too late as the drone is already on its way home, sometimes even when the pilot is expecting it to lose signal, there still isn't time to try to adjust the RC. At least a 10 second pause instead of the 3 seconds is required, but like the poll says, a user definable time is needed.
Single SelectVote, Total 49 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2022-8-31
Use props
BigDog816
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1800295 ft
Australia

I thought it was 11s.  At least that is what DJI Support told me when they reviewed my fly away (note I had mine accidently set to land, but didn't think that affected the timing).
2022-8-31
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BigDog816 Posted at 8-31 18:48
I thought it was 11s.  At least that is what DJI Support told me when they reviewed my fly away (note I had mine accidently set to land, but didn't think that affected the timing).

Its deffo not 10s , I read 3s and that is about what i have been seeing when i have done my testing
2022-8-31
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

3 seconds is in the manual. My 2S manual has 6 seconds, but it's more like 10 or 11.
2022-8-31
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-31 19:49
3 seconds is in the manual. My 2S mamual has 6 seconds, but it's more like 10 or 11.

I knew i read it somewhere lol, thanks and yeah, that's pretty much what i feel the Mini 2 and P4P gets
2022-8-31
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've no doubt you're right about what the manual says, but in actual instances I have experienced it FEELS like about ten seconds from signal being lost, to getting a reaction on the RC screen announcing RTH.  However, when activating RTH to bring the drone home when contact is NOT lost (as I often do)  the reaction time seems pretty instantaneous.
2022-8-31
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've opted for 10sec in your poll, by the way.
2022-8-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Seemed longer to me,  but having it definable would be nice.    But as long as it works thats all that really matters,  especially after the other day when my drone decided to un pair from the controller mid flight.      Luckily it did eventually fly back and hover as the ground wasnt suitable to land on so I had to pluck it out the air.
2022-8-31
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-31 23:46
Seemed longer to me,  but having it definable would be nice.    But as long as it works thats all that really matters,  especially after the other day when my drone decided to un pair from the controller mid flight.      Luckily it did eventually fly back and hover as the ground wasnt suitable to land on so I had to pluck it out the air.

Thats another issue with it lacking precision landing.
My older Mavic did that once - it returned and landed exactly where it took off from.  2m further away it would be in the water.
2022-9-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 9-1 01:45
Thats another issue with it lacking precision landing.
My older Mavic did that once - it returned and landed exactly where it took off from.  2m further away it would be in the water.

To be fair I had taken off from a small low wall which I can land manually on no problem but its not happy about it and it was about a foot off so I had to go around the other side to grab it,   my main concern was that the controller lost its pairing mid flight.  As it hadn't seemed to be coming back when it disconnected I had packed up and was hurrying over towards it waving the controller in the air waiting for it to reconnect,   and then it flew over my head back to home so I had to u turn and hurry back after it.  
2022-9-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-31 23:46
Seemed longer to me,  but having it definable would be nice.    But as long as it works thats all that really matters,  especially after the other day when my drone decided to un pair from the controller mid flight.      Luckily it did eventually fly back and hover as the ground wasnt suitable to land on so I had to pluck it out the air.

Ouch, thats not good, what would cause it to unbind mid-flight?
The manual says 3 seconds, that's far too quick when just a wee adjustment may well get the signal back.
2022-9-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Last one for sure!
2022-9-1
Use props
NutHouseDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1206654 ft
Canada

So right now with the 3s timeout, does it stop and hover for those 3s?  or continue with current trajectory?   
2022-9-1
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

but does it say when the 3 seconds start.  i think it gets a late start but i chose 10 seconds.
2022-9-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NutHouseDrone Posted at 9-1 15:05
So right now with the 3s timeout, does it stop and hover for those 3s?  or continue with current trajectory?

Thing is, shouldnt it travel back 50m to try to pick up the signal again prior to RTH kicking in because it does not do this, but that is what the MIni 2 does/did.

What i have noticed is this, as soon as it video feed disconnects, there is a very short time, around 3 before the beeping starts, that's what i can remember, its been a week or so now since its happened but that is how its acted each time I've lost connection and each time I'm thinking, well, that gave me no time at all to try to adjust the RC to try to get a better signal...
2022-9-1
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

OMG, another DJI screw-up? How is that possible ;-)
2022-9-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 9-1 21:46
OMG, another DJI screw-up? How is that possible ;-)

Rhetorical i take it lol
2022-9-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 9-1 07:36
Ouch, thats not good, what would cause it to unbind mid-flight?
The manual says 3 seconds, that's far too quick when just a wee adjustment may well get the signal back.

No idea Bashy,  its never happened before.   After I got down and off by flipping I rebooted both controller and the drone and still they would not connect until I went through the pairing process.   In 2070+km I guess I should expect some glitches.
2022-9-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 9-1 23:06
No idea Bashy,  its never happened before.   After I got down and off by flipping I rebooted both controller and the drone and still they would not connect until I went through the pairing process.   In 2070+km I guess I should expect some glitches.

Put it down to a glitch in the matrix, if it happens again, speak to support, they will want ya files, least then you can get to the bottom of it
2022-9-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 9-2 00:41
Put it down to a glitch in the matrix, if it happens again, speak to support, they will want ya files, least then you can get to the bottom of it

I just the logs,  when it unpaired the logs just stop short.
2022-9-2
Use props
NutHouseDrone
lvl.3
Canada

Bashy Posted at 9-1 19:59
Thing is, shouldnt it travel back 50m to try to pick up the signal again prior to RTH kicking in because it does not do this, but that is what the MIni 2 does/did.

What i have noticed is this, as soon as it video feed disconnects, there is a very short time, around 3 before the beeping starts, that's what i can remember, its been a week or so now since its happened but that is how its acted each time I've lost connection and each time I'm thinking, well, that gave me no time at all to try to adjust the RC to try to get a better signal...

The manual isn't very clear(to me) about this, but it seems to imply that the flying backwards for 50m is when the "Failsafe RTH" has been activated and therefore that is when the warning/beeping starts.  After going backwards for 50m, it then enters "Straight Line RTH".  Are you suggesting it should start going backwards before the 3s timeout?

And my original question still stands, what is the M3P actually doing during the 3 seconds right now, before the warning/beeping starts?    Immediately stopping and starting to go backwards?  Slowing down at all?  continuing current trajectory?

2022-9-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

NutHouseDrone Posted at 9-2 15:41
The manual isn't very clear(to me) about this, but it seems to imply that the flying backwards for 50m is when the "Failsafe RTH" has been activated and therefore that is when the warning/beeping starts.  After going backwards for 50m, it then enters "Straight Line RTH".  Are you suggesting it should start going backwards before the 3s timeout?

And my original question still stands, what is the M3P actually doing during the 3 seconds right now, before the warning/beeping starts?    Immediately stopping and starting to go backwards?  Slowing down at all?  continuing current trajectory?

No, and i have yet to see it do the failsafe 50m backwards. all i have seen so far is 3s  and "bang", it's on its way home.

No, it should give us 10s to try to re-acquire the signal ourselves, then, if no reconnect has been established, it should do the failsafe 50m etc...
2022-9-2
Use props
NutHouseDrone
lvl.3
Canada

Bashy Posted at 9-2 19:35
No, and i have yet to see it do the failsafe 50m backwards. all i have seen so far is 3s  and "bang", it's on its way home.

No, it should give us 10s to try to re-acquire the signal ourselves, then, if no reconnect has been established, it should do the failsafe 50m etc...

Oh okay, I missed the fact that you are saying that it is not doing what the manual states and not doing the backwards thing.  

But, what do you want the drone to be doing during this 10s of trying to recover the signal?

This timeout question has intrigued me, but I am struggling with why you want the timeout longer without explaining what the drone should be doing during that timeout.  

2022-9-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

NutHouseDrone Posted at 9-2 20:49
Oh okay, I missed the fact that you are saying that it is not doing what the manual states and not doing the backwards thing.  

But, what do you want the drone to be doing during this 10s of trying to recover the signal?

No worries, i dont want it to do anything, i want it to just sit and wait for me to try an re-acquire signal or the 10 second timeout, whichever comes 1st. If no signal after the 10sec then it should reveres course for 50m and if no signal still then RTH
2022-9-2
Use props
NutHouseDrone
lvl.3
Canada

Bashy Posted at 9-2 20:56
No worries, i dont want it to do anything, i want it to just sit and wait for me to try an re-acquire signal or the 10 second timeout, whichever comes 1st. If no signal after the 10sec then it should reveres course for 50m and if no signal still then RTH

Okay thanks.   Yes, that would make sense to have an optional hover timeout after signal loss prior to any attempt at returning.    It was just not clear to me that the current 3 seconds was a hover timeout.
2022-9-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

NutHouseDrone Posted at 9-2 22:07
Okay thanks.   Yes, that would make sense to have an optional hover timeout after signal loss prior to any attempt at returning.    It was just not clear to me that the current 3 seconds was a hover timeout.

Hi,

Always nice to know exactly what happens if your drone loose connection.

Try your self...

fly in an wide open free area.
Fly from left to right in front of you and while pushing forward switch off the remote *.

* close by HP, or 25 meters away from HP, etc. (see the difference, same for changing fly height irt RRTH height setting)
Drone will immediatly stop flying forward, and hovers for some time. (stopwatch ready).
No connection after some time ; drone starts it fails safe RTH procedure.

don`t know why DJI changed this time to 3 seconds for a MINI3, i prefer the 11 secs.

cheers
JJB
2022-9-14
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Its definitely short.  Ive had a few cases where i set up a shot, accidentally shove a few leaves between the RC and the drone and before i can walk a few metres to clear the signal path its already on its way back.
2022-11-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-28 05:18
One thing I would like changed is go back to enable canceling the RTH climb (but continue the RTH) by popping the throttle.  I don't understand why this change was made as if one wants to cancel RTH, they can hit the RTH button, the Pause button, or the onscreen Cancel button.  Why a forth method to cancel & change what has always been?

Whilst i rarely used that feature, only when doing a total battery drain, i would still like ti back cause there will come a time when it will be handy, if only to do the batteries, yeah i know, I'm one of those that likes to think that it resets the percentage calibration thingamajig, i know what i mean lol
2022-11-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-28 07:41
I occasionally run my batteries down to 0%/forced landing for the same reason.  When I do I usually leave it hovering right above the landing spot until I can no longer hold her aloft with the throttle.

Ha, not just me, this is exactly what I do, it followed me over from my P4P, i do it every 6 months or so
2022-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules